Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Hard Woman
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 25, 2020 01:19

What a great song.Its a shame Mick didn’t save it for Dirty Work along with some of the good songs from his She’s the Boss album,like Just Another Night,Secrets,Lucky in Love.But Hard Women is a classic song IM0

Re: Hard Woman
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 25, 2020 02:16

You know there's two versions right?

Date: October 25, 2020 02:22

Yes, I like the album version

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 25, 2020 03:14

Both versions are very poor.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 25, 2020 05:33

Glam Descendant
You know there's two versions right?

I have to admit that I am not aware. I only know about the version from SHE'S THE BOSS.

And then I even belong to those, who consider that version to be a great song.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 25, 2020 06:55

Album version - 4.23
Single version - 3.50

ROCKMAN

Date: October 25, 2020 09:52

Rockman
Album version - 4.23
Single version - 3.50

Thank you, Rockman!
Presented that way, it seems that they are not really different, apart from the single version apparently being an edit. In that case, I don't need it.

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: October 25, 2020 11:24

Witness
Rockman
Album version - 4.23
Single version - 3.50

Thank you, Rockman!
Presented that way, it seems that they are not really different, apart from the single version apparently being an edit. In that case, I don't need it.

They are totally diffrent, the single version is not an edit.
Album version: [youtu.be]
Single version: [youtu.be]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-25 11:29 by BlueTurns2Grey.

Date: October 25, 2020 11:27

Witness
Rockman
Album version - 4.23
Single version - 3.50

Thank you, Rockman!

The Hooters is the backing band on the single version.

Love the album version, can't fathom what he was thinking with the single version.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 25, 2020 12:21

At the time I thought it was one of the stronger tracks on "She's The Boss". In hindsight it's very 1985 though. Synths all over the place.
And the lyrics...Jagger's philandering love life - I don't give a damn.

Date: October 25, 2020 12:52

Stoneage
At the time I thought it was one of the stronger tracks on "She's The Boss". In hindsight it's very 1985 though. Synths all over the place.

I thought those were strings and piano?

Date: October 25, 2020 12:55

BlueTurns2Grey
Witness
Rockman
Album version - 4.23
Single version - 3.50

Thank you, Rockman!

They are totally diffrent, the single version is not an edit.
Album version: [youtu.be]
Single version: [youtu.be]

Thank you so much for being given the opportunity to listen to the single version.

For me there is no doubt. It is the album version that is and will remain the real version. But with that as an established version and original, I find the single version as an interesting variation, even if it can't in any way measure with the declared original.

Date: October 25, 2020 12:59

Stoneage

Here you are quite predictable. Which is legitimate, of course.

Date: October 25, 2020 13:03

A clumsy double posting

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-25 13:07 by Witness.

Date: October 25, 2020 13:06

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

I want to honour your factual approach here and above in the earlier post, Dandelion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-25 13:10 by Witness.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: October 25, 2020 13:20

Taylor1
What a great song.Its a shame Mick didn’t save it for Dirty Work along with some of the good songs from his She’s the Boss album,like Just Another Night,Secrets,Lucky in Love.But Hard Women is a classic song IM0

It's a nice song with potential. When I listened to it several times when the CD was released, I thought "what a shame. If this song would have been handled by the Rolling Stones it could have turned into a kind of "Angie", but differently".
The song is missing some chord changes and has some not needed chord changes to make it special.

Date: October 25, 2020 13:26

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Sure, I was thinking of the drums. And maybe some other synths? I am not a musician. I listen to the overall sound. Which is very 1985 to me. Maybe not to others. What do I know?

Date: October 25, 2020 13:33

Stoneage
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Sure, I was thinking of the drums. And maybe some other synths? I am not a musician. I listen to the overall sound. Which is very 1985 to me. Maybe not to others. What do I know?

From timeisonourside.com:

Line-up:

Drums: Tony Thompson
Bass: Colin Hodgekinson
Acoustic guitar: Pete Townshend
Electric guitar: Jeff Beck
Vocals: Mick Jagger
Piano: Jan Hammer
Strings: Paul Buckmaster

Date: October 25, 2020 13:39

Okay, I give in Dandy. I wasn't paying attention. You win. Somewhere in there there must be a synth though. Surely?

Date: October 25, 2020 13:42

Stoneage
Okay, I give in Dandy. I wasn't paying attention. You win. Somewhere in there there must be a synth though. Surely?

That's the song without synth on the album, mate smiling smiley

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: October 25, 2020 14:11

While listening to the version of Hard Woman from She's The Boss and looking at the cover of the LP, it seems to me that in 1985 Mick was still using the sexual ambiguity about his personae; the girl in the back looks like somewhat like a dude.Nothing wrong with that. Is it the last time Mick used that ambiguity as part of his public image?
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 25, 2020 14:22

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

From timeisonourside.com:

Line-up:

Drums: Tony Thompson
Bass: Colin Hodgekinson
Acoustic guitar: Pete Townshend
Electric guitar: Jeff Beck
Vocals: Mick Jagger
Piano: Jan Hammer
Strings: Paul Buckmaster

Some damn fine musicians there..... and I like the song.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 25, 2020 14:26

Hairball

...horrible song.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: October 25, 2020 14:32

wow! was this a US only release?, as I remember the album version getting a lot of air play, radio 1 way back then.

Its always great to find something that you missed 35 years ago, made my day

thanks guys

by the way, if the stones had put this on DW it would have been the Hooters guitar based version!

Date: October 25, 2020 14:57

georgie48
Taylor1

It's a nice song with potential. When I listened to it several times when the CD was released, I thought "what a shame. If this song would have been handled by the Rolling Stones it could have turned into a kind of "Angie", but differently".
The song is missing some chord changes and has some not needed chord changes to make it special.

Possibly! It might have gained something. By virtue of how good and even great it now is, in my opinion, also something might been lost.

We will never know. In a hypothetical parallell world's IORR some poster will pose the opposite question: Might the song have been better if Mick Jagger would have included it in SHE'S THE BOSS, instead of using the song idea in DIRTY WORK?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-25 14:58 by Witness.

Date: October 25, 2020 15:24

KRiffhard
Hairball

...horrible song.
Its funny,and everyone is entitled to their opinion ,but in my opinion it’s a great song with great lyrics.I love a lot of Micks solo music like this,Say You Will ,Throwaway,Goddess in a Doorway, Don’t Tear Me Up, Charmed Life,and songs he did with the Stones like Out of Control, Blinded by Rainbows,Anybody See. My Baby, where he is trying to do something different than classic Stones.Sometimes he does fail.Maybe Keith has been too hostile to experimentation.Perhaps he could have been more receptive to Micks attempts and could have helped improve them.I find most of his so l o music boring and the same old stuff.Tired of listening to predictable r &b songs .

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 25, 2020 15:41

Awful song. Streets Of Love is about a zillion times better.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: October 25, 2020 15:42

Agreed Taylor1, there is much to love in Jaggers solo albums, and Hard Woman is a damn fine song.

I have always loved Wandering Spirit, most of Goddess, and selected tracks from Primitive and She's the Boss. Super heavy another I liked then and still do now.

All of She's the Boss is good, with some of it great. Just Another Night, Secrets, Hard Woman I think are great tracks. It will never be considered a great album but it has a charm all it's own and I've had it on quite a bit recently after a few years of not hearing it.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: October 25, 2020 17:34

Always loved that number a lot.

d.f

Date: October 25, 2020 17:36

Taylor1
KRiffhard
Hairball

...horrible song.
Its funny,and everyone is entitled to their opinion ,but in my opinion it’s a great song with great lyrics.I love a lot of Micks solo music like this,Say You Will ,Throwaway,Goddess in a Doorway, Don’t Tear Me Up, Charmed Life,and songs he did with the Stones like Out of Control, Blinded by Rainbows,Anybody See. My Baby, where he is trying to do something different than classic Stones.Sometimes he does fail.Maybe Keith has been too hostile to experimentation.Perhaps he could have been more receptive to Micks attempts and could have helped improve them.I find most of his so l o music boring and the same old stuff.Tired of listening to predictable r &b songs .

I have to say that even to me, this point of view becomes too onesided. Keith's TALK IS CHEAP I find marginally better than Mick's WANDERING SPIRIT, because as to the latter I end up missing the band. "I hate it when you leave" is also a magic song, even if MAIN OFFENDER to me becomes somewhat monotous in its quite good stuff. I am very reserved towards CROSSEYED HEART though.

I like SHE'S THE BOSS quite much, but PRIMITIVE COOL a little less, not saying that is indifferent or worse. I also find things to enjoy in GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY as a pronounced non-Stones solo album, but then can't compare its contents with Stones songs or Stones oriented solo songs.

As to Stones songs from both Mick and Keith post-UNDERCOVER, to me there are songs to enjoy that may be good or semi-great, but not so often outright great. I would like some more nuances in judgements of songs from these later decades.

I agree that I would have liked Keith to be more willing to participate in expanding the boundaries for what a Stones song may be like. That would also increase the enjoyment of not so experimenting songs.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1814
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home