Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Andrew Loog Oldham - Between The Buttons
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 25, 2012 20:48

I sent a message to Andrew Loog Oldham via his official facebook page about who played the accordian on Back Street Girl, here is his reply...

"a more advanced player indeed. knowing that was what i required i followed the suggestion of jack nitzsche and engaged a gent named nick de caro to play the part. nick was an established LA arranger for people like sonny & cher and many more. all is good in loogsville - hope the scottish vote goes the way it should. best, o"

So it wasn't Brian after all, which I thought was likley given the rather disciplined nature of the playing.

Many thanks to Andrew for answering! thumbs up

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-26 04:38 by His Majesty.

Re: Back Street Girl - Accordian player named...
Date: June 25, 2012 20:54

Here's how I asked, just to give better context. grinning smiley

"Hi there!

Currently re-reading 2Stoned, great stuff!

Wondering if Andrew can recall who played accordian on the stones Back Street Girl from Between The Buttons? Some say it was Brian, but it has the feel of a more advanced player.

Hope all is well in the world of loog? Best wishes from cold and rainy aberdeen in Scotland.
"

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 25, 2012 20:56

That's nice to know...thanks for asking and posting

Posted by: JJackFl ()
Date: June 25, 2012 21:08

Thanks!

Date: June 25, 2012 21:09

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: June 25, 2012 21:09

thumbs up

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 25, 2012 21:11

ask him why the loog?

Date: June 25, 2012 21:14

StonesTod
ask him why the loog?

Cos he's fukking cool! smoking smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 25, 2012 21:15

Okay, so Brian at least played marimbas on the song, right?

Date: June 25, 2012 21:19

24FPS

Possibly that gentle vibraphone part that some mistake for an organ and some a marimba. grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-25 21:36 by His Majesty.

Date: June 25, 2012 21:48

His Majesty
24FPS

Possibly that gentle vibraphone part that some mistake for an organ and some a marimba. grinning smiley

I don't really know the difference between a marimba, a vibraphone or a xylophone. I know Bill Wyman plays one of those three on the 'new' cut Don't Be a Stranger and it's pretty fantastic.

Re: Back Street Girl - Accordion player named...
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 25, 2012 21:55

This is really interesting. Thanks

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: June 25, 2012 22:21

Rolling Hansie
This is really interesting. Thanks

???

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: June 25, 2012 22:25

Sorry...was posting the link about Nick, but just saw Her Majesty already did so above.

The Stones are listed among his credits at the end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-25 22:27 by Jah Paul.

Date: June 25, 2012 22:28

Keith's acoustic playing on this is ace! Great accordion too of course. grinning smiley thumbs up

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 25, 2012 22:29

24FPS
His Majesty
24FPS

I don't really know the difference between a marimba, a vibraphone or a xylophone. I know Bill Wyman plays one of those three on the 'new' cut Don't Be a Stranger and it's pretty fantastic.

They all sound like this grinning smiley Look at the crazy Bass player at 1.12 grinning smileygrinning smiley

HD

Date: June 25, 2012 22:44

Jah Paul
Sorry...was posting the link about Nick, but just saw Her Majesty already did so above.

His, not Her. grinning smiley

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: June 25, 2012 23:11

His Majesty
Jah Paul

His, not Her. grinning smiley

Sorry...must have had The Beatles on my mind! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: June 25, 2012 23:18

Thank God, I couldn't sleep wondering about this...

Date: June 25, 2012 23:20

dewlover
Thank God, I couldn't sleep wondering about this...

Now you can sleep well, but make sure you remember to wake up. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: June 26, 2012 00:28

This has been a mystery for years to many Jones era followers! Thank you His Majesty very much! Sort of disappointed it was not Brian though sad smiley Mystery number two = Was it Brian on lead solo on the long version of "Tell Me", many people on this board who are musicians think it might of been. ???

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 26, 2012 01:52

Thanks for clearing up this mystery! I always thought it was too well-played to be Brian. Great song.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 26, 2012 01:57

title of thread shoulda been: "accordion to oldham, backstreet girl player id'd" - another missed oppo

Date: June 26, 2012 03:10

Well, Brian can take credit for one thing. The accordian is played in the spirit of Brian Jones. Sensitive, emotionally resonant playing was his forte. I remember reading Charlie describing Bill's playing as feminine. Yes, Bill played a sensitive bass, sometimes. He could just as easily lay down Brown Sugar and shake the world. Brian's, and then Bill's, sensitivity was vital to their sound and is very much missed today. They were the water signs in the group, up agains the fire of Leo Mick and Saggitarian Keith. There's a reason many of us mistake the accordian playing for Brian.

Date: June 26, 2012 03:25

Id say it's played in the spirit of the song.

24FPS
There's a reason many of us mistake the accordian playing for Brian.

I think there are various reasons... one being that many people are too quick to credit Brian with any unusual instrumentation. Before finding out, I felt that if the accordion was played by Brian it was one of his most accomplished performances.

I feel the same way about the piano on Ruby Tuesday. Even with the Courtfield Road footage where Brian plays parts of Ruby Tuesday on piano, I still feel some uncertainty as to who actually played piano on the studio version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-26 03:32 by His Majesty.

Re: Ruby Tuesday
Date: June 26, 2012 03:33

I sent Andrew a link to this footage and asked whether Brian played the piano on the studio version...

"interesting. as were the reader's comments below. not sure if it was brian. i may have blocked it out. i doubt it as he was not around that much for the basic tracks at that time. could have been jack, equally it could have been nicky hopkins, if we brought the stuff back to london to finish." - O

Hmm, the mystery continues...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-26 03:38 by His Majesty.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 26, 2012 06:01

24FPS
Well, Brian can take credit for one thing. The accordian is played in the spirit of Brian Jones. Sensitive, emotionally resonant playing was his forte. I remember reading Charlie describing Bill's playing as feminine. Yes, Bill played a sensitive bass, sometimes. He could just as easily lay down Brown Sugar and shake the world. Brian's, and then Bill's, sensitivity was vital to their sound and is very much missed today. They were the water signs in the group, up agains the fire of Leo Mick and Saggitarian Keith. There's a reason many of us mistake the accordian playing for Brian.

Interesting take, and I think there is a lot of truth to it (the astrological nonsense aside). When Brian left and the Stones discovered the open G template that would come to define their sound up to the present day, the music did become more "masculine" in a way, and we did lose some of the sensitivity (which Mick brought to the table as well) of the earlier pop period. Now it's sometimes hard to even imagine a time when the Stones had never heard of open G guitar and that sound played no part in their music. It was still great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-26 06:01 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 26, 2012 14:57

His Majesty

Keith's acoustic playing on this is ace! Great accordion too of course. grinning smiley thumbs up

Yes. This may, quite seriously, be my favourite Keith intro to any song: utterly simple and completely effective. We had the big argument about the marimba/xylophone/celeste/glockenspiel/vibraphone in the Track Talk thread for Backstreet Girl: whatever the damn thing is, that's Brian playing it, and it's essential to the gentle lullaby-like feel of the track.

Thanks for doing the research into the accordion question (I wonder who said "what we need on this track is an ACCORDION" - and what the first reaction in the studio was!) I can't find any track on YouTube with Nick de Caro playing one, but he worked with Phil Spector and Nicky Hopkins at various times, so the connections are there. His arranging work tends to be too lush and string-laden for my taste, but he does do another nice "sinister lullaby" here with Claudine Longet, from about the same period as Backstreet Girl. If you're old enough to remember "Rosemary's Baby", you'll know this one:

(edit to replace the Claudine Longet video with a working copy )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-19 08:03 by Green Lady.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 26, 2012 15:36

His Majesty
Here's how I asked, just to give better context. grinning smiley

"Hi there!

Currently re-reading 2Stoned, great stuff!

Wondering if Andrew can recall who played accordian on the stones Back Street Girl from Between The Buttons? Some say it was Brian, but it has the feel of a more advanced player.

Hope all is well in the world of loog? Best wishes from cold and rainy aberdeen in Scotland.
"

Hi HM,

Never thought you were Scottish. Are you an Aberdonian then? All best SD

Date: February 19, 2014 06:07

Silver Dagger

Hi HM,

Never thought you were Scottish. Are you an Aberdonian then? All best SD

Yes. smiling smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1368
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home