Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Stones and jazz sidemen
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 14, 2021 19:47

Why have the Stones and Mick and Keith as a solo artist from time to time used greatjazz musicians. on their albums. Like Stanley Clarke, Sonny Rollins, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Jon Faddis, Tim Ries,Bill Evans and others. And do most of them do it for the notoriety or money . I have read where jazz musicians like Wynton Marsalis look down on rock or pop music.Miles Davis I believe turned down an of fer by Mick to play on a Stones record . Did the ones who played with the Stones see it as an artistic challenge to play with the Stones. Personally , I think the Stones are great writers and to play rock at their highest level like on Exile is great art. Did not Tim Rice say Mick was one of the greatest writers of the last century

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-14 19:49 by Taylor1.

Re: The Stones and jazz sidemen
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 14, 2021 20:02

It started already with Charlie who is a jazz drummer.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: August 14, 2021 21:00

I'm sure the different jazz musicians all had their reasons, mercantile or otherwise, for playing with the Stones.

A word about Sonny Rollins' contributions to "Tattoo You": He made that record much, much better than it would otherwise have been. His playing on "Slave" and "Waiting on a Friend" push those songs to a higher level.

Has anybody ever made a list of jazz musicians that played on Stones records? I would like to see it.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: August 14, 2021 22:37

Two words:
Ernie Watts

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 14, 2021 22:50

Their backup singers the past 30 years have jazz chops. They have added a lot to a few of Keith's Stones solo numbers and seem to enjoy backing him.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 14, 2021 23:08

There are jazz musicians who are among the greatest who have played with the Stones, Sonny Rollins, Herbie Hancock , Wayne Shorter,

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 14, 2021 23:16

Freddie Sessler ....
He bought all kinds a jazz ta The Stones backstage

ROCKMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1821
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home