Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

1st Marquee Gig
Posted by: ChicagoCalling ()
Date: June 24, 2012 16:02

Has anyone ever seen anything written as to who performed in Long John Baldry's pick-up band on the night of the Stones first gig at London's Marquee?

Re: 1st Marquee Gig
Posted by: thabo ()
Date: June 24, 2012 18:20

Shit, I thought you were going to put up a picture of their first gig.

Date: June 24, 2012 21:23

I wish. There are images of Brian & Keith from that night elsewhere on this site though but I have never read or seen anything about Long John's performance. I thought there might have been some crossover performers like Geoff Bradford.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 24, 2012 22:36

the photos that circulate purporting to be from that first Marquee gig are beautiful,
but it's not at all likely that they're really from the first Marquee gig.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: June 24, 2012 22:42

Dick Taylor claimed in a recent Rolling Stone-interview that he also did the gig with Baldry.
Alan Clayson wrote in one of his many biographies that Geoff Bradford was playing guitar that night.

N

Date: June 25, 2012 06:03

sssoul,the late Marc Sharratt is typically credited with those Marquee photos and I've been working on accessing any archival information that may have accompanied his works...I'll keep you posted.

NeddieFlanders, thanks for the tip regarding Dick and Alan, I'll drop them a line and post a follow-up. Any idea as to when the Rolling Stone article appeared? In the last year?...cheers!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 25, 2012 11:31

ChicagoCalling
sssoul,the late Marc Sharratt is typically credited with those Marquee photos and I've been working on accessing any archival information that may have accompanied his works...I'll keep you posted.

thanks, i'll be very interested to hear what you can dig up.
our sharp-eyed vintage equipment expert His Majesty noted recently
that the amps in the shots suggest that the photos were taken after Bill had joined the band.
the visible equipment may have belonged to another band, but it does want some explaining!

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: June 25, 2012 11:56

There's a new Dick Taylor-interview in the current German issue of Rolling Stone magazine. Dick Taylor recalls that he did bass for both bands on July 12, 1962, but he also recalls that Charlie Watts was on the drum seat of the Rollin' Stones that night. So we shouldn't fully trust his recollections.

[www.rollingstone.de]

N

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1675
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home