Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Rolling Stones and The Rolling Stones No.2, 2020 SHM-CD re-issue
Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 5, 2020 16:32

X-mas is coming!
Just found it on Universal JP site. The UK's 1st and 2nd albums will be released as a stand alone CDs in a paper jacket for the first time!
Release date - December 2, 2020
Price - 2934 Y (appr. 24 € before taxes, S&H)

The Rolling Stones UICY-79332
[www.universal-music.co.jp]

The Rolling Stones No.2 UICY-79333
[www.universal-music.co.jp]

- Adopted 2016 remastering sound source / DSD (Direct Stream Digital) mastering by Bob Ludwig and Teri Randy (Abco's chief audio engineer) from the original mono tape
- E-type single surface coating & flipback jacket according to the UK first edition
-A winding band that reproduces the Japanese first edition LP band in a miniature
MONO sound source / SHM-CD specifications
- Commentary, lyrics, and translations

Please don't shot the messenger, this is google translate winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-05 16:58 by ironbelly.

Re: The Rolling Stones and The Rolling Stones No.2, 2020 SHM-CD re-issue
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 5, 2020 16:55

They're also available at: [www.jpc.de] , [www.jpc.de] as well as: [www.Amazon.com] , [www.Amazon.com] .

"Cardboard sleeve reissue from The Rolling Stones. MONO tracks. SHM-CD. Applies 2016 remaster (DSD), derived from the original mono tapes. This 5-inch mini LP replicates it's UK first pressing edition (surface-coated, flipback cover). Comes with an obi faithfully replicating the obi with it's Japanese first pressing LP. Comes with lyrics and a description."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-05 19:55 by Irix.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 5, 2020 17:30

Great!

The only two albums I don't have on CD

C

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: November 5, 2020 18:23

Maybe this edition will have the longer "Tell Me"? Isn't there a 4:05 floating around, whereas most editions have the 3:48 or something?

Date: November 5, 2020 18:36

floodonthepage
Maybe this edition will have the longer "Tell Me"? Isn't there a 4:05 floating around, whereas most editions have the 3:48 or something?
Hardly.
Here are the CDs where you can find cold-ended Tell Me (4.07 or 4.09, depending on pre-gap, 2 extra seconds of silence before the track):
- The Rolling Stones [London 820 047-2]. Made in West Germany. CD pressed from glass master 01 #. The easiest way to spot one - the front cover has red diagonal banner in the upper left corner. Beware, all other West German, French, Spanish, Brazilian and Australian CDs has Tell Me with fade, although share the same catalog number.
- The Rolling Stones CDs pressed in Japan (there were three editions). Catalog numbers: P33L-25014 (May 1, 1987), P25L-25031 (April 25, 1989) and POCD-1911 (February 25, 1995). These utilized the same tape transfer as the West German CD but are mastered slightly differently.

All other editions came with Tell Me with fade. The longest version (4:05.65) is on original SACD-hybrid England's Newest Hitmakers. Catalog numbers: 882 287-2 (EU), 9375-2 (US) and UIGY-7001 (Japan). Also on all re-issues of this title with corresponding modifications of the catalog number.

The new release will be based on 2016 tape transfer. Same as for the In Mono box. Thus, Tell Me will be with fade and clocks 0:03:49.40

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: November 5, 2020 20:34

Was just listening to the debut album yesterday, first time in a few years. It really is good, some cracking tunes on there.

Date: November 5, 2020 21:38

ironbelly
floodonthepage
Hardly.
Here are the CDs where you can find cold-ended Tell Me (4.07 or 4.09, depending on pre-gap, 2 extra seconds of silence before the track):
- The Rolling Stones [London 820 047-2]. Made in West Germany. CD pressed from glass master 01 #. The easiest way to spot one - the front cover has red diagonal banner in the upper left corner. Beware, all other West German, French, Spanish, Brazilian and Australian CDs has Tell Me with fade, although share the same catalog number.
- The Rolling Stones CDs pressed in Japan (there were three editions). Catalog numbers: P33L-25014 (May 1, 1987), P25L-25031 (April 25, 1989) and POCD-1911 (February 25, 1995). These utilized the same tape transfer as the West German CD but are mastered slightly differently.

All other editions came with Tell Me with fade. The longest version (4:05.65) is on original SACD-hybrid England's Newest Hitmakers. Catalog numbers: 882 287-2 (EU), 9375-2 (US) and UIGY-7001 (Japan). Also on all re-issues of this title with corresponding modifications of the catalog number.

The new release will be based on 2016 tape transfer. Same as for the In Mono box. Thus, Tell Me will be with fade and clocks 0:03:49.40

Wow! You just pulled all that out of nowhere? I know who to go to! cool smiley I have a French made UK edition of the debut with the 4:05 fade. I don't think I've ever heard the cold ending version. I also have a Japanese edition of RS No.2, neither of which probably need to be kept now that I have the Mono Box...as well as the US SACD-Hybrid editions.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 5, 2020 22:33

The Rolling Stones [London 820 047-2]. Made in West Germany. CD pressed from glass master 01 #.

YEAH .... got West German one .... sounds good ....
Why dont they make 'em like that now days .....

Remaster Remaster remaster .....

ROCKMAN

Date: November 5, 2020 23:38

floodonthepage
Wow! You just pulled all that out of nowhere? I know who to go to! cool smiley I have a French made UK edition of the debut with the 4:05 fade. I don't think I've ever heard the cold ending version. I also have a Japanese edition of RS No.2, neither of which probably need to be kept now that I have the Mono Box...as well as the US SACD-Hybrid editions.
It is because I am a big fan of those old West German London CDs winking smiley.
If you need cold ended Tell Me just search ebay. That particular CD is not rare but in great demand. However, with some patience you can find it within 10-12 € price range.
Anyway, your french disc for s/t album is pressed using stamplers from German glass master 03 #. It is a kind of 're-make' of the original tape transfer. It is not bad at all, just not perfect (or like other people say - not ultimate).
Japanese No.2 is, most probably, made on site in Japan using master tape of the vinyl they had in hands. Generally, all tracks presented there are inferior to their counterparts that can be found on other West German CDs. But it has a charm, a few wide stereo tracks (and for sure - certain collector's value). Although, the one from In Mono box is much better in terms of sound quality.

Rockman
West German CD from 01 # glass master is an ultimate edition forever. It is mastered flat, without any tricks. According to urban legend digital tape transfer was made at MFSL. If you have it in it's original heavy jewel case you can add also tactile feelings winking smiley.

Date: November 5, 2020 23:42

Yep yep ironbelly .... dats the one I got ....
I sleep with it under the pillow along with my 44 ......

ROCKMAN

Date: November 6, 2020 00:27

ironbelly
floodonthepage
It is because I am a big fan of those old West German London CDs winking smiley.
If you need cold ended Tell Me just search ebay. That particular CD is not rare but in great demand. However, with some patience you can find it within 10-12 € price range.
Anyway, your french disc for s/t album is pressed using stamplers from German glass master 03 #. It is a kind of 're-make' of the original tape transfer. It is not bad at all, just not perfect (or like other people say - not ultimate).
Japanese No.2 is, most probably, made on site in Japan using master tape of the vinyl they had in hands. Generally, all tracks presented there are inferior to their counterparts that can be found on other West German CDs. But it has a charm, a few wide stereo tracks (and for sure - certain collector's value). Although, the one from In Mono box is much better in terms of sound quality.

Rockman
West German CD from 01 # glass master is an ultimate edition forever. It is mastered flat, without any tricks. According to urban legend digital tape transfer was made at MFSL. If you have it in it's original heavy jewel case you can add also tactile feelings winking smiley.

Thanks! I will check eBay for it.

Date: November 16, 2020 20:21

UPDATE: I have found some fairly affordable copies of the West Germany "Red Banner" debut on Discogs. One of the sellers tried to sell me one of those other non-820 047-2 editions from West Germany citing that the catalog number is the same, and thanks to your information Ironbelly, I was able to quickly flag it and say "no thanks". The search continues....but thanks again!

Date: November 16, 2020 20:48

Ironbelly, I'm now being told they have one of the Japanese P33 editions, but they say it's from 1986....not the May 1 1987 you listed. Hmmmmm....still a legit one do you think? They just say "P33 Series"...I will ask them for the full number and check it against yours.

UPDATE: After much back and forth on Discogs, I think I've found a legit Japanese copy of the "no fade" 'Tell Me'. Catalog number P25L-25031. I could never get a confident response from any sellers whether their inventory of the West German edition were in fact the true edition or the faux edition with the same catalog number.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-23 02:09 by floodonthepage.

Date: December 17, 2020 06:11

My P25L-25031 Japanese edition of the debut album finally came, featuring the "no fade" 'Tell Me'. (4:06)

I gotta be honest, it's a let down. Sure it's a "cold" ending, but it kinda sounds like it's cut off, instead of a truly intentional cold ending (i.e. with a cymbal crash or something of the like).

But the hunt was a fun distraction during these strange times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-17 06:12 by floodonthepage.

Date: December 17, 2020 10:41

That is interesting story.

floodonthepage
UPDATE: I have found some fairly affordable copies of the West Germany "Red Banner" debut on Discogs. One of the sellers tried to sell me one of those other non-820 047-2 editions from West Germany citing that the catalog number is the same, and thanks to your information Ironbelly, I was able to quickly flag it and say "no thanks". The search continues....but thanks again!
I gave up with discogs (almost). In past few months I contacted 8 sellers for the details about their listings. Like - would you kindly send me the photos of the actual item that is up for sale. In 5 cases they sent me images of the items that were different from the release page and in 3 cases there were no reply. Although some believe that discogs is better than ebay and the sellers are more responsible my experience is quite different.

floodonthepage
I'm now being told they have one of the Japanese P33 editions, but they say it's from 1986....not the May 1 1987 you listed.
P33L-25014 is from May 1, 1987. That is certain. The back cover carries date code O-5-1. Letter 'O' here is a code for 1987, 5 = May, 1 = 1. This is well known coding. I am surprised that somebody mess with that
1984 - N
1985 - I
1986 - H
1987 - O
1988 - R
1989 - E
1990 - C
1991 - D

floodonthepage
My P25L-25031 Japanese edition of the debut album finally came, featuring the "no fade" 'Tell Me'. (4:06)

I gotta be honest, it's a let down. Sure it's a "cold" ending, but it kinda sounds like it's cut off, instead of a truly intentional cold ending (i.e. with a cymbal crash or something of the like).
Well... It is what it is. Yes, there is no crash or something. It seems that they simply press stop button during recording. But this is how the track appeared on the '2nd' pressing of the UK LP and it is called 'cold ended' for many years.

BTW. True 1st West German pressing with original jewel case is currently on sale on ebay.
[www.ebay.de]
I know the seller, used to deal with him in the past, he is very responsible person. Currently, the price is reasonable (considering overall very good shape of this CD). But the auction is not ended yet.

Date: December 17, 2020 17:20

ironbelly
That is interesting story.

floodonthepage
I gave up with discogs (almost). In past few months I contacted 8 sellers for the details about their listings. Like - would you kindly send me the photos of the actual item that is up for sale. In 5 cases they sent me images of the items that were different from the release page and in 3 cases there were no reply. Although some believe that discogs is better than ebay and the sellers are more responsible my experience is quite different.

floodonthepage
I'm now being told they have one of the Japanese P33 editions, but they say it's from 1986....not the May 1 1987 you listed.
P33L-25014 is from May 1, 1987. That is certain. The back cover carries date code O-5-1. Letter 'O' here is a code for 1987, 5 = May, 1 = 1. This is well known coding. I am surprised that somebody mess with that
1984 - N
1985 - I
1986 - H
1987 - O
1988 - R
1989 - E
1990 - C
1991 - D

floodonthepage

Well... It is what it is. Yes, there is no crash or something. It seems that they simply press stop button during recording. But this is how the track appeared on the '2nd' pressing of the UK LP and it is called 'cold ended' for many years.

BTW. True 1st West German pressing with original jewel case is currently on sale on ebay.
[www.ebay.de]
I know the seller, used to deal with him in the past, he is very responsible person. Currently, the price is reasonable (considering overall very good shape of this CD). But the auction is not ended yet.

Oh wow! Thanks for the head's up, Ironbelly. And the main difference with this first pressing West German release is that it is mastered slightly differently from the Japanese edition, I believe you said? but is it otherwise same style of cold ending (and of course the red banner in the upper left corner a difference too).

Date: December 17, 2020 18:14

floodonthepage

Oh wow! Thanks for the head's up, Ironbelly. And the main difference with this first pressing West German release is that it is mastered slightly differently from the Japanese edition, I believe you said? but is it otherwise same style of cold ending (and of course the red banner in the upper left corner a difference too).
Yes, early German and Japanese CDs were sourced from the same A/D transfer. But Japanese CDs were made (most probably) from dupe tapes and slightly adjusted on site - peak level, EQ, etc. That is called production mastering and in Japan they used to play with that a lot. But otherwise they contain the same mixes and Tell Me is the same cold ended. This is in terms of audio.

In terms of booklet and other 'paperwork'. Early West German disc were packed with very basic booklets, 4 pages only. Japanese booklets are thick and contain essay in Japanese and lyrics in English and Japanese. Also there were different OBIs for different series and special promo sticker (reproduction of album cover) for the 1st edition of POCD-1911. But all these extras are for hardcore collectors only winking smiley.

Regarding the 1st West German pressing, July 1984. It has unique black and red London ffrr label. Also, it was pressed in limited quantities and is very thought of. This is a collector's candy, you know winking smiley.

I made a compilation about different pressings while ago
[iorr.org]
But it is a bit outdated. In past years I tracked 3 or 4 extra pressing from Germany, a couple from France and there are more pressings from Japan (with different OBIs). It should be updated, but I am lazy. And who cares about CDs in the times of streaming and downloads winking smiley.

Date: December 17, 2020 20:32

ironbelly
floodonthepage

Yes, early German and Japanese CDs were sourced from the same A/D transfer. But Japanese CDs were made (most probably) from dupe tapes and slightly adjusted on site - peak level, EQ, etc. That is called production mastering and in Japan they used to play with that a lot. But otherwise they contain the same mixes and Tell Me is the same cold ended. This is in terms of audio.

In terms of booklet and other 'paperwork'. Early West German disc were packed with very basic booklets, 4 pages only. Japanese booklets are thick and contain essay in Japanese and lyrics in English and Japanese. Also there were different OBIs for different series and special promo sticker (reproduction of album cover) for the 1st edition of POCD-1911. But all these extras are for hardcore collectors only winking smiley.

Regarding the 1st West German pressing, July 1984. It has unique black and red London ffrr label. Also, it was pressed in limited quantities and is very thought of. This is a collector's candy, you know winking smiley.

[iorr.org]
But it is a bit outdated. In past years I tracked 3 or 4 extra pressing from Germany, a couple from France and there are more pressings from Japan (with different OBIs). It should be updated, but I am lazy. And who cares about CDs in the times of streaming and downloads winking smiley.

Thank you again, great information and comparison.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: December 18, 2020 04:24

The miniatured “obi” that comes with the first album faithfully replicates the now legendary Japanese copy on it — “This is the definitive Liverpool Sound!!”

In those days, almost every cool band from Britain was marketed in Japan under the tag, “Liverpool Sound”, which was the Japan-only circulated catchphrase for “Mersey Beat”, The Beatles et al. Where a group was formed didn’t matter. Those were the days...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-18 12:31 by RisingStone.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: December 20, 2020 22:35

OK, Ironbelly and others on this thread: I am not an audiophile though I have learned some things by reading threads such as these and seeing Ironbelly's posts on other threads.

Couple of questions:

how do these Japanese and West German CDs compare to the hybrid SACD editions that were released in August 2002?

And were those all Abkco/US only editions? Were there Decca SACD editions of the Stones catalog through 1971? I've never seen an original Rolling Stones (# 1) in this hybrid SACD series, only The Rolling Stones: England's Newest Hitmakers, the US edition. I've also never seen one of The Rolling Stones # 2 on Decca.

I know my knowledge is incomplete and maybe inaccurate, so don't kill me for that, just explain and correct, please.

plexi

Date: December 20, 2020 23:23

timbernardis
OK, Ironbelly and others on this thread: I am not an audiophile though I have learned some things by reading threads such as these and seeing Ironbelly's posts on other threads.

Couple of questions:

how do these Japanese and West German CDs compare to the hybrid SACD editions that were released in August 2002?

And were those all Abkco/US only editions? Were there Decca SACD editions of the Stones catalog through 1971? I've never seen an original Rolling Stones (# 1) in this hybrid SACD series, only The Rolling Stones: England's Newest Hitmakers, the US edition. I've also never seen one of The Rolling Stones # 2 on Decca.

I know my knowledge is incomplete and maybe inaccurate, so don't kill me for that, just explain and correct, please.

plexi
There were no 2002 SACD-hybrid edition of The Rolling Stones (UK) and The Rolling Stones No. 2. Only The Rolling Stones: England's Newest Hitmakers (US).
The list of SACD editions with catalog numbers is here

Although, there was mono Rolling Stones No.2 as digital download a few years before In Mono box.

If you want comparison of old West German and Japanese CD pressings (as well as US ABKCO) with 2002 re-issues you should head for
[www.lukpac.org]
That FAQ is a long read, a bit outdated and not completely error free (because Luke and Dave did not have all old CDs in hands when they wrote the text), but it will give you the best possible audiophile information about most of The Rolling Stones CDs as of 2002.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 20, 2020 23:55

ironbelly

Although, there was mono Rolling Stones No.2 as digital download a few years before In Mono box.

And still is:

The Rolling Stones: [www.HighResAudio.com] , [www.Qobuz.com] , [Store.AcousticSounds.com] ,

The Rolling Stones No. 2: [www.HighResAudio.com] , [www.Qobuz.com] , [Store.AcousticSounds.com] .

Date: December 21, 2020 00:18

Irix
ironbelly

And still is:

The Rolling Stones: [www.HighResAudio.com] , [www.Qobuz.com] , [Store.AcousticSounds.com] ,

The Rolling Stones No. 2: [www.HighResAudio.com] , [www.Qobuz.com] , [Store.AcousticSounds.com] .
Completely useless for me. None of the services available in my woods. I'll stick to old good CDs for awhile winking smiley

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: August 5, 2021 18:48

ironbelly
floodonthepage

[iorr.org]

I care about CDs in the times of streaming. In fact, I'm searching all of your threads for information. I want all of the Rolling Stones CD information I can find.

I'd like to also have a list of all of the 'rarities' of all of the Stones songs ever released. Longer version, different versions, faster versions, best sounding versions. Iornbelly, you are the man for the job!

I appreciate your work very much. It would be great to have it all compiled in one place.

What are the best wide-stereo discs to get?

Which are the best Old Abkco discs to get?

thank you

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 5, 2021 18:53

Rockman
Yep yep ironbelly .... dats the one I got ....
I sleep with it under the pillow along with my 44 ......

Are you from West Virginny by any chance?

Date: August 5, 2021 22:05

....not quite but i know a woman from there ....

ROCKMAN

Date: August 5, 2021 22:36

Rockman
....not quite but i know a woman from there ....

Don't we all.

Date: August 5, 2021 22:37

.... Seeeezzz hopes it not the same woman

ROCKMAN

Date: August 5, 2021 22:41

Rockman
.... Seeeezzz hopes it not the same woman

You know my mom?

Date: August 5, 2021 23:04

...does she wear a red dress ?

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1907
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home