Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Is Slave the perfect Stones song
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 16, 2018 08:00

The song has everything, and more. It has a great riff, brilliant bass lines, a wicked drum beat, fantastic keyboards, a sexy sax, magnificent singing, chorus, and falsetto. It is mesmerizing, funky, rockin' and so cool.

There are solos, changes in tempo, the opening drum beat, a chorus at the start, sprinkles of a Hammond organ, the lyrics are minimal and upfront. I think it is as good as it gets. Slave is a Stones masterpiece.

This song needs to be in the setlist.

Re: Is Slave the perfect Stones song
Posted by: novica ()
Date: March 16, 2018 08:04

i couldn't agree more !

smileys with beer

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 16, 2018 08:07

24 four hours a day
Hey, why don't you go down to the supermarket get something to eat
Steal something of the shelves
Pass by the liquor store, be back about a quarter to 12?

.................... totally cool bare-bone rap ... still knocks me around ...... but yeah pure Stones

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 16, 2018 08:31

Stonesy funky greatness. thumbs up

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 16, 2018 10:55

It's not really a song, more like a jam. But yes, it's a fantastic showpiece of how the Stones can be funky, have that loose ad-lib groovy feel. Which is why it might not work at all live, especially nowadays, especially in a stadium. But in principle it could be a great song to do live, when you manage to make it really steamy, and create some trance like loop. But you probably need some small bar on a Friday night when you least expect it, to make it really magical.

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: March 16, 2018 11:28

The Sicilian
The song has everything, and more. It has a great riff, brilliant bass lines, a wicked drum beat, fantastic keyboards, a sexy sax, magnificent singing, chorus, and falsetto. It is mesmerizing, funky, rockin' and so cool.

There are solos, changes in tempo, the opening drum beat, a chorus at the start, sprinkles of a Hammond organ, the lyrics are minimal and upfront. I think it is as good as it gets. Slave is a Stones masterpiece.

This song needs to be in the setlist.

For me this song is the standout on Tattoo You. Great song, amazing riff, in particular the sound of the guitar.

Set list candidate? Maybe only for a club gig.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 16, 2018 12:25

See, and to me Slave is everything I've had to put up with about the Stones. An ok jam, but skip it every time it comes on and is basically the epitome of what I don't want to hear them do. Different strokes.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 16, 2018 13:10

Yeah, Love this song.
Swagger n roll. Great.
Jeroen

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 16, 2018 13:32

It's one of those minor classics.
I remember when I first got Tattoo You in 81 Slave was the song coming from my speakers very loud again and again.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 16, 2018 15:09

one of their best grooves....i'd love to see them open a show with Slave....slow sexy groove...similar to the way they opened 75/76 shows....pipe dream...but YES!!!...put it in the set list!!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 16, 2018 15:24

so much to love about this song..

great drum sound, right off

lyrics which function more as an instrument..

great changes in dynamics, bringing the jazz element ..

inspired guitar playing, a weave with the Rollins sax..

its a masterpiece all right..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-16 15:30 by duke richardson.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 16, 2018 15:44

Perfect song for some afternoon delight.

Date: March 16, 2018 15:47

duke richardson

A perfect description! thumbs up

Date: March 16, 2018 17:55

CousinC
It's one of those minor classics.
I remember when I first got Tattoo You in 81 Slave was the song coming from my speakers very loud again and again.

Same here - it was the standout for me. It was also the tune that my friends and I listened to late into the night on repeat LOUD while partying heavily.
It has that perfectly loose crazy party-like atmosphere, and has "STONES" stamped all over it. Having flashbacks of those times just writing about it...good times indeed. thumbs up

Date: March 16, 2018 17:55

duke richardson

Nice description. I couldn't quite describe how the lyrics weave throughout the song. So many variations.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: March 16, 2018 18:12

I don't know if it is perfect, but I know that it 's one of 2-3 songs I'd like to hear on the next tour. it would be killer

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 16, 2018 18:19

A great song! ... but for me the perfect Stones song will always be Gimme Shelter

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 16, 2018 18:28

One of my favorites and a damn shame as this was never put in the setlist and given the proper treatment and the masterpiece that it really is from the groove and vibe right down to the late great Sonny Rollins masterful fill on sax.I stand corrected about the demise of Sonny Rollins as he is still alive .Sorry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-16 19:44 by TheGreek.

Date: March 16, 2018 18:32

Slave being rehearsed in Toronto from the "Tip of the Tongue" Documentary Part 2 for the Licks tour in 2002. Some great sounds and visuals:

A small clip at 5:37 to 5:57 and more from 7:08 to 7:58

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: March 16, 2018 19:26

I love Slave but for me "the perfect Stones song" needs the magic interplay of the two guitars.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 16, 2018 19:29

TheGreek
One of my favorites and a damn shame as this was never put in the setlist and given the proper treatment and the masterpiece that it really is from the groove and vibe right down to the late great Sonny Rollins masterful fill on sax

Sonny isn't late, he's still very much with us!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: March 16, 2018 19:54

It is perfect in every way. One of the greats.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 16, 2018 20:33

No, it is not, something like "Honky Tonk Women" or "Gimme Shelter" or "Jumpin' Jack Flash" or "Satisfaction" or "Tumblin' Dice" is, but still to me "Slave" sounds as perfect as it can be.... a perfect Stones groove, a perfect deep album cut...

I don't think it ever will be performed live (taking today's standards and the nature of a Rolling Stones show). Not that I wouldn't like, but I can see why it is a kind of tune doesn't work for big crowds. The masses wouldn't know it, and it is too jam-like, 'not leading anywhere'.

- Doxa

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: March 16, 2018 20:36

ive always loved it, i saw a great extended outtake on youtube from around 1974, the video and song really work well together, its the best song on tattoo you, maybe theyll play it in warsaw.

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: March 16, 2018 21:17

Always been one of my favorites to cruise down the road too....

Date: March 16, 2018 21:38

I be repeating myself here, because I mentioned this in the last 'Slave' thread we had, but to me 'Slave' riff always reminds me of the "Negrita" riff.
I love that clip Sicilian posted. It makes me feel like I got an 'in' on Jagger's thinking; at where exactly he would place the cowbell within the bar. Now I can say "Jagger? yeah man, I see right through him".

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: March 16, 2018 21:53

Hello,

Yup, 'Slave' is essence du Stones pour moi...love it!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 16, 2018 23:06

See, and to me Slave is everything I've had to put up with about the Stones. An ok jam, but skip it every time it comes on and is basically the epitome of what I don't want to hear them do.

Hey RollingFreak you'd be a cool cat to go to the knock-shop with ...
You'd always pick the other chick ..... hhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: March 16, 2018 23:42

Palace Revolution 2000
I be repeating myself here, because I mentioned this in the last 'Slave' thread we had, but to me 'Slave' riff always reminds me of the "Negrita" riff.
I love that clip Sicilian posted. It makes me feel like I got an 'in' on Jagger's thinking; at where exactly he would place the cowbell within the bar. Now I can say "Jagger? yeah man, I see right through him".

Yeah that's a great clip - the part pertaining to Slave - and shows it certainly would have worked great live had they worked out the kinks a bit more.
If they can play bull crap covers like Love Train, surely they could have jammed this out in a club or even an arena to the delight of everyone. Missed opportunity as I doubt they'll ever revisit it.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 16, 2018 23:59

Best song? Dunno, there's s couple of best songs for me winking smiley

But certainly among the best latter-day songs. My highlight on Tattoo You. I don't know when it was actually recorded but it sounds a bit like a CYHMN for the 80ies, pity only the jam in the end cuts off so early.

Also a pity it never made it on the setlist. It sounded good in the 2002 rehearsals.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1815
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home