Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Greatest record store you probably never heard of
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 11, 2021 18:42

Wow. Amazing story about a record store I would guess many of us never knew existed. It reminded me of when I would spend Saturdays at various record and CD stores going through bins of material looking for something I read/heard about and discovering a zillion other things. Got to a point where I'd bring coffee and a sandwich with me 'cause I knew it would be awhile in the shop. Reading this I remembered I still have a box of 45rpm records, some of them from the jukebox that was in the bar my family owned.

[www.smithsonianmag.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-11 18:43 by dmay.

Re: OT: Greatest record store you probably never heard of
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 11, 2021 23:22

well, there is quantity and then there is quality. And that bit about five minutes and you are gone would save me the trip right there. Go ahead and die with all those records, we can salvage them from the dumpster out back at that point. Ask Harry Smith how that works out.

How much real reggae you got, by the way? I don't mean Bob Marley unless its a 7" of Selassie Is the Chapel or something significant like that.

It is amazing how the Smithsonian gets it wrong sometimes. Last I was there they had a big exhibit on the Beatles "American Invasion". And they claimed that Meet The Beatles was their first LP. Not the first LP released in the USA (which would not be correct either) but their first ever LP. I wrote them a note about that and dropped it in the suggestion box with my name and phone number and surprise, never heard from them.

Wasn't all bad though, managed to wrangle a behind-the-scenes tour of the Paleontology department and that was great going into the seven floors of archives below the main level.

jb

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 11, 2021 23:27

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-11 23:27 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 12, 2021 02:06

Regarding Meet The Beatles, jbwelda is correct. The first Beatles release in the United States was on Vee Jay Records. I have the Vee Jay release. Who knew what they would become. Here's a link regarding Vee Jay, Capitol Records and The Beatles. As for the comments regarding this guy's record store, I agree. Unless you're into doo wop and similar, you're probably not going to be dealing with this store. A side note: In the first Rocky movie, Rocky is walking home and stops to swig some wine with some guys on a corner who are emulating the harmony/doo wop thing. Sylvester Stallone's brother Frank is one of the corner guys. I think he also worked on the music for the movie. The movie American Graffiti also features some of the doo wop bit. Personally, not my thing, though, the Flamingos "I Only Have Eyes For You" is still one of the coolest songs ever put on vinyl.

[www.dermon.com]

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 12, 2021 02:10

wish my friend treacle had left his post

veejay's main artist at that point were the Four Seasons, hitmakers but not at all on the Beatle's (eventual) level. I think they only got the Beatles contract because no one else was interested. Have not looked at the link posted but that is what I recall as being the case. Quickly withdrew the album only to have it massively counterfeited.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-12 02:14 by jbwelda.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: July 14, 2021 14:11

She became furious some years ago when her husband gave the wrong answer to the following question: “If the house was burning down, which would you save first, me or the records?”

Shively said, “I’ve learned the right answer to that question now, I just needed a little help.”

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1660
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home