Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
SOME GIRLS BONUS DISC REVIEWS
Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: November 17, 2011 17:46

Claudine

fast version, you can listen to it at Ron Woods Radio Show

So Young

New version, vocals are a blend of 1977 - 1994 - 2011 IMO

Do You Really Think I Really Care

2011 upfront vocals and a very small Ian Stwart solo thing.

When You're Gone

2011 vocals blown thru an old mic at the beginning (or some sort of effect)

No Spare Parts

You can listen to it on IORR

Don't Be A Stranger

New HORRIBLE 2011 vocals (Sexy Eyes / Lucky in Love bootleg titles)

We Had It All

Not the same vocals as from the well know boot version, GREAT GREAT GREAT!

Tallahassee Lassie

Some Nice Jagger vocals, quite RAW, it's from RCA 1978, Very nice!

I Love You Too Much

Keep Up Blues

NEVER HEARD BEFORE version of Some People Tell me. Vocals + harmonica are 2011
The "That's It" at the very end is still there, but different.

You Win Again

2011 Vocals, back-up vocals are nice (Mick and MAYBE far far away some old once
from Keith)

Petrol Blues

Original Vocals! Piano error not present anymore. Cut after 1:36

Vocals are not so bad as on Exile, Jaggers 2011 Vocals work a bit better on
this Some Girls Bonus Disc.

Re: SOME GIRLS BONUS DISC REVIEWS
Date: November 17, 2011 17:50

Thanks!

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: November 17, 2011 20:31

Got mine today - widely available in Austria 1 day prior to it's release grinning smiley

I listened to it in my car when I drove home and I must say that I REALLY dig "Love You Too Much" and I don't have a problem with the 2011 vocals at all. The only exception is "When You're Gone" which IMHO doesn't come any close to the bootleg version. Somehow the thrill is gone.

Petrol Blues seems to be taken off the Outside Bird bootleg and not from a studio tape. It sounds like heavy denoising but I think it's meant as a "joke" and it's not a bad one at all.

All in all a pretty excellent record.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 17, 2011 20:40

But Silkcut; "Love You Too Much" features 1977 vocals. There might be "a single line" there that comes from 2011; though - from what I read here on the board. And yes, it's a terrific rocker - I think so too.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 17, 2011 21:28

Four new songs available here : [somegirls.heroku.com]

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 17, 2011 22:16

Got mine today.

Claudine
Finally, I always liked it. Great sound, great STU!

So Young
Nothing new, but still a good song.

I´ll stick to the bootleg version.

When You're Gone

Great! Mean blues, could have been on Dylan´s Love And Theft.

No Spare Parts
A bridge is still missing...could have been a great song.

Don't Be A Stranger

New HORRIBLE 2011 vocals indeed. The magic of the bootleg version is gone.

We Had It All
Great Keith.

Tallahassee Lassie

Always liked it, a great rocker to crank up!

I Love You Too Much

Maybe the best song, because it´s really finished and should have been on
a SG double in 1978.

Keep Up Blues

Completely new vocal arrangement. New title. Good blues.

You Win Again

Still a nice treat, I don´t want to know if Keith or some 2011
studio clown is singing the background vocals.

Petrol Blues

Why? Nothing but a joke in even the same sound as on boot. You can clearly
hear the bassdrum mixed out.

But there space for 6 more tracks. Why no
8track takes with different mixes, verses etc?

So there´s 8 out of 12 songs that are worth to listen to.
That makes quite a good CD.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 18, 2011 01:44

Wow,
Keep up Blues is that outtake I always loved....great raunchy groove.
I loved the original vocals - Jagger sounded really down and dirty, but the lyrics were a bit all over the place, so I can see why they redid it.
Still has that great vibe.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 18, 2011 02:01

And the Jagger slamming continues proving that some people can never be satisfied.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 18, 2011 02:03

stupidguy2
Wow,
Keep up Blues is that outtake I always loved....great raunchy groove.
I loved the original vocals - Jagger sounded really down and dirty, but the lyrics were a bit all over the place, so I can see why they redid it.
Still has that great vibe.

yes...love this

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 18, 2011 02:43

And the Jagger slamming continues proving that some people can never be satisfied.

yeah but james it's always the same old bunch of sooks that moan about
any Stones release... Ya get ta know 'em after awhile.....And if they ain't here ya can always find 'em down at the misery-pit...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 18, 2011 02:47

I think The Stones (at least Mick) just dont understand that the only fans that are gonna be extremely interested in the bonus tracks just want to hear pure outtakes in thier raw form only in the best audio quality available.Other than that, I'll take what I can get...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 18, 2011 03:46

scottkeef
I think The Stones (at least Mick) just dont understand that the only fans that are gonna be extremely interested in the bonus tracks just want to hear pure outtakes in thier raw form only in the best audio quality available.Other than that, I'll take what I can get...

I think you don't understand that what you're saying just isn't true for everyone. I don't need unfinished tracks...we have the bootlegs already.

I want complete songs, that sound great.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 18, 2011 03:49

thumbs up

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 18, 2011 04:01

I don't mind that they completed them at all. treaclefinger's right, we have the boots. I also want complete songs. Mick seems to be making up for lost time, ie, the last 20 years of Stones output has been dubious in quality, but pathetic in qunaity as well.

I think that the bulk of the new Exile and Some Girls stuff is better than A Bigger Bang! I can not 'think' about what part was done when, and just enjoy it.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: November 18, 2011 05:43

Keep Up Blues and Don't Be a Stranger both turned out great. I don't see what's not to love. Can't wait to get this on Tuesday.

Date: November 18, 2011 06:20

Thats what I love about this site,everyone gets to have an opinion even tho EVERYONE doesnt get it...

Date: November 18, 2011 06:42

...or maybe that's just their opinion.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: November 18, 2011 09:53

treaclefingers
scottkeef

I think you don't understand that what you're saying just isn't true for everyone. I don't need unfinished tracks...we have the bootlegs already.

+1
I am always amazed to read people asking for things they already have.
Some of them wanted Everything is Turning To Gold for the SG Deluxe release, now they want Leeds 71 for the next live...
Really amazing.

Date: November 18, 2011 10:18

jamesfdouglas

Can't read any Jagger slamming, reviews are pretty good IMHO....

Date: November 18, 2011 10:31

mitch
treaclefingers
scottkeef

+1
Some of them wanted Everything is Turning To Gold for the SG Deluxe release, now they want Leeds 71 for the next live...
Really amazing.

The difference in sound quality and mix compared between Leeds and this Brussels release is so enormous that it's undescribable, imo.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: November 18, 2011 11:33

mitch
treaclefingers
scottkeef

+1
Really amazing.

I'm glad in a way that I'm not alone winking smiley

After 6, maybe 7 times of playing my mind slowly forgets the expectation of hearing "everybody is lucky in love" when it comes to the refrain of "Don't Be A Stranger" and I'm more than happy to have finished/complete versions of tunes that were available on bootleg for decades.

"Do You Think I Really Care" is a good example for me. In fact I never cared that much for this song until I heard the finished version. Now it grows on me and I'm beginning to like it very much. I don't care if the vocals are from 78, 94 or 2011 - it's Mick Jagger anyway and my respect for him has been growing immense recently. I easily can say that I liked all his output of the last two years and I hope he'll be doing fine for many years to comesmiling smiley

And I don't give a hell for a perfect mix of Leeds 71 when I could download a mixture of both Mocambo gigs instead. Count me in for the things we've never heard before - like most parts of the 2nd Brussels show we already got yesterday.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 18, 2011 11:38

Vocalion
Claudine

fast version, you can listen to it at Ron Woods Radio Show

So Young

New version, vocals are a blend of 1977 - 1994 - 2011 IMO

2011 upfront vocals and a very small Ian Stwart solo thing.

When You're Gone

2011 vocals blown thru an old mic at the beginning (or some sort of effect)

No Spare Parts

Don't Be A Stranger

New HORRIBLE 2011 vocals (Sexy Eyes / Lucky in Love bootleg titles)

We Had It All

Not the same vocals as from the well know boot version, GREAT GREAT GREAT!

Tallahassee Lassie

Some Nice Jagger vocals, quite RAW, it's from RCA 1978, Very nice!

I Love You Too Much

Keep Up Blues

NEVER HEARD BEFORE version of Some People Tell me. Vocals + harmonica are 2011
The "That's It" at the very end is still there, but different.

You Win Again

2011 Vocals, back-up vocals are nice (Mick and MAYBE far far away some old once
from Keith)

Petrol Blues

Original Vocals! Piano error not present anymore. Cut after 1:36

Vocals are not so bad as on Exile, Jaggers 2011 Vocals work a bit better on
this Some Girls Bonus Disc.

Thanks.
I havent had a chance to get this yet, but I will...

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: November 18, 2011 11:47

silkcut1978_
mitch
treaclefingers
scottkeef

+1
Really amazing.

I'm glad in a way that I'm not alone winking smiley

After 6, maybe 7 times of playing my mind slowly forgets the expectation of hearing "everybody is lucky in love" when it comes to the refrain of "Don't Be A Stranger" and I'm more than happy to have finished/complete versions of tunes that were available on bootleg for decades.

"Do You Think I Really Care" is a good example for me. In fact I never cared that much for this song until I heard the finished version. Now it grows on me and I'm beginning to like it very much. I don't care if the vocals are from 78, 94 or 2011 - it's Mick Jagger anyway and my respect for him has been growing immense recently. I easily can say that I liked all his output of the last two years and I hope he'll be doing fine for many years to comesmiling smiley

And I don't give a hell for a perfect mix of Leeds 71 when I could download a mixture of both Mocambo gigs instead. Count me in for the things we've never heard before - like most parts of the 2nd Brussels show we already got yesterday.

thumbs upWell said, silkcut1978

Date: November 18, 2011 20:16

I'm thrilled with Brussels and even if the other 5 are common bootleg titles given official release, they'll still be mixed to the band's satisfaction and most of all are now official. I won't carp if LEEDS, LADIES & GENTLEMEN, TEXAS '78, etc. are among the remaining five. I'm still shocked they're doing this and at a reasonable price. Big question is what are the box sets coming from the Archive store? I noticed that the SINGLES 1971-2006 box is off of iTunes and Amazon's MP3 store. I'm suspicious that they have other plans for B-sides in the coming months.

Date: November 18, 2011 20:28

WilliamPatrickMaynard
I'm thrilled with Brussels and even if the other 5 are common bootleg titles given official release, they'll still be mixed to the band's satisfaction and most of all are now official. I won't carp if LEEDS, LADIES & GENTLEMEN, TEXAS '78, etc. are among the remaining five. I'm still shocked they're doing this and at a reasonable price. Big question is what are the box sets coming from the Archive store? I noticed that the SINGLES 1971-2006 box is off of iTunes and Amazon's MP3 store. I'm suspicious that they have other plans for B-sides in the coming months.

Wrong thread William?

Date: November 18, 2011 20:32

Only sort of. There are several comments above about the official concert bootlegs so it seemed relevant to comment. I already chimed in that I like what I've heard of the Bonus Disc.

Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: November 18, 2011 20:52

gotdablouse
Four new songs available here : [somegirls.heroku.com]

Thanks gotdablouse, my first listen to the new songs, some great sounds

Posted by: Eirik ()
Date: November 18, 2011 21:36

Nice songs. Rock'n Roll, Blues, Country. I like the b-side version of So Young from Love Is Strong better, though. I don't know why you guys think the vocals on Don't Be A Stranger are so horrible ????? But the cd is so loud. Again...

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 18, 2011 22:24

Good songs, except for 'No Spare parts' (boring) and 'Don't Be A Stranger' (horrible vocals)

Date: November 19, 2011 04:36

;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-19 04:38 by scottkeef.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1889
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home