Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Track Talk: Shake Your Hips
Posted by: René ()
Date: March 31, 2014 10:38

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

Shake Your Hips
(James Moore)

Olympic Sound Studios, London, UK, July 27 & October 17 - 31, 1970,
Sunset Sound Studios, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, US,
December 4 - 19, 1971 & January - March 1972 and
Wally Heider Studios, Los Angeles, California, US, March 24 & 25, 1972

Mick Jagger - vocals, harmonica
Keith Richards - electric guitar
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass
Mick Taylor - electric guitar
Ian Stewart - piano
Bobby Keys - saxophone

I wanna tell you 'bout a dance that's goin' around
Everybody's doin' it, from the grownups down
Don't move your head, don't move your hands
Don't move your lips, just shake your hips
Do the hip shake, babe, do the hip shake, babe
Shake your hip, babe, shake your hip, babe

Well, if you don't know, don't be afraid
Just listen to me and do what I say
Don't move your head, don't move your hands
Don't move your lips, just shake your hips
Shake your hip, babe, shake your hip, babe, well, ain't that easy

Well, I met a little girl in a country town
She said: What do you know, there's Slim Harpo
Didn't move her head, didn't move her hands
Didn't move her lips, she shook her hips
Shake your hip, babe, shake your hip, babe, well, ain't that easy

Produced by Jimmy Miller

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Exile On Main Street” 2LP
(Rolling Stones Records COC 69100) UK, May 12, 1972

Re: Track Talk: Shake Your Hips
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 31, 2014 10:43

The ultimate groove.

So simple and yet so complex

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: March 31, 2014 10:51

Love it.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 31, 2014 10:56

OHOO! Great Tune...Grooviest piece of song on earth...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: March 31, 2014 11:19

One of the best

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 31, 2014 11:54

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 31, 2014 11:56

Took me years to enjoy it. Still don't love it, but its a very good song. Its not the filler I once thought it was.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 31, 2014 12:00

Side one of Exile on Main Street is as perfect a sequence of songs as you'll ever find on any album. They spell P-A-R-T-Y T-I-M-E large and from Rocks Off to Tumbling Dice we're taken on a rock'n'roller coaster ride across the southern states of America.

And Hip Shake is the pivotal connecting piece of the jigsaw, joining the Stones' own take on southern boogie and juke joint soul to a classic slice of r'n'b that just scratches and shakes its way through these sultry grooves.

And ain't that just an incredible rhythm Keith gets going here. It's tight but loose, funky but chic. It's a riff that could happily go on for ages (and probably did) allowing Mick Taylor room to roam and push the song ever onwards.

It's also so evocative of the deep south that you can almost smell the bourbon on Keith's breath and perhaps even the chicken fried in bacon grease cooking in the next room. Rock'n'roll doesn't get much better than this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-31 12:04 by Silver Dagger.

Date: March 31, 2014 12:06

Rockman

Maaan, Geese August on bass. That cat could fly.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 31, 2014 12:26

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MoreFastNumbers ()
Date: March 31, 2014 12:32

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 31, 2014 12:39

Isn't it Mick Taylor on rhythm guitar, and Keith is doing all the leads on this one? (Both Exile and Montreux versions).

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: March 31, 2014 12:53

A highly-capable cover. Dig Charlie’s metronomic death-rattle beat, Mick’s falsetto eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee—eeeeeeee----eeeeee---zayyyyyyy’s, and that piercing harp.

That being said, the Stones really don’t take ol’ Slim’s original song into new territory, do they? Instead, they just give it a good spit-shine. Their cover of “King Bee”, in contrast, is a vastly different experience from the original.

Drew

Posted by: NEWMAN ()
Date: March 31, 2014 15:54

HARDCORE PERFECT TUNE

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 31, 2014 16:41

LieB
Isn't it Mick Taylor on rhythm guitar, and Keith is doing all the leads on this one? (Both Exile and Montreux versions).

Hardly any lead on the original.
A superfluous song imo, being a cover as well.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 31, 2014 16:41

NEWMAN
HARDCORE PERFECT TUNE

ZZ Top rip off.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 31, 2014 16:59

treaclefingers
NEWMAN
HARDCORE PERFECT TUNE

ZZ Top rip off.

It's a cover sonng. I would guess all think ZZ-Top is guilty.

Date: March 31, 2014 17:02

Chris Fountain
treaclefingers
NEWMAN
HARDCORE PERFECT TUNE

ZZ Top rip off.

Yeah, I was just kidding.

I remember in high school all my friends loving La Grange and my playing Shake Your Hips for them, and being told the Stones ripped them off.

It was pretty funny at the time.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 31, 2014 17:08

What the hell is matter what does it sounds like? It is recorded some 43 years ago, while I was some 4 years old, and the point to be a Rolling Stones fan and contribute in this site is is "to be as close as possible to The Rolling Stones or a Rolling Stone". This track is something dead years old, recorded damn faraway where I live, and it has nothing to do with the Rolling Stones are today, as they are ought be as a an object of fandom, and thereby, discussion, so who cares.

It is just music, just music, yesterday's papers.

Now, isn't the "report this message" an tempting option, you REAL Rolling Stones fans?

Oh yeah, sorry I forget to say... Of course, it is a "great" track - like anything The Rolling Stones have done. And ever will do. I just love Justin Biev... oh sorry.. The Rolling Stones... blah blah blah.. kill teh nay say-sayers (million emoticons), etc. etc.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-31 17:16 by Doxa.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 31, 2014 17:09

treaclefingers
Chris Fountain
treaclefingers
NEWMAN
HARDCORE PERFECT TUNE

ZZ Top rip off.

I remember in high school all my friends loving La Grange and my playing Shake Your Hips for them, and being told the Stones ripped them off.

Yeah those days come quickly to mind. Tres Hombres is a good album in restropect. If not mistaken, Ithink "Jesus left Chicago" is on that album. Not sure, but I like the song. And that other song "Waitin on the Bus all day?" It's hard to remember-

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 31, 2014 17:16

Perfect.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 31, 2014 17:17

Doxa
What the hell is matter what does it sounds like? It is recorded some 43 years ago, while I was some 4 years old, and the point to be a Rolling Stones fan and contribute in this site is is "to be as cloes as possible to Rolling Stones or a Rolling Stone". This track is something dead years old, recorded damn faraway where I live, and it has nothing to do with the Rolling Stones are today, as they are ought be as a an object of fandom, and thereby, discussion, so who cares.

Now, isn't the "report this message" an tempting option, you REAL Rolling Stones fans.

Oh yeah, sorry I forget to say... Of course, it is a "great" track - like anything The Rolling Stones have done. And ever will do. Il love Justin Biev... oh sorry.. The Rolling Stones... blah blah blah.. kill teh nay say-sayers (million emoticons), etc. etc.

- Doxa

Hey Doxa, have a look at this thread: [www.iorr.org], listen to the music and then listen to a couple of great boots from the golden era. cool smiley

Date: March 31, 2014 17:30

treaclefingers
NEWMAN
HARDCORE PERFECT TUNE

ZZ Top rip off.

Not even sure if Ze Top, as they're known in France, were even going in 72??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-31 17:31 by Silver Dagger.

Date: March 31, 2014 17:31

kleermaker
Doxa
What the hell is matter what does it sounds like? It is recorded some 43 years ago, while I was some 4 years old, and the point to be a Rolling Stones fan and contribute in this site is is "to be as cloes as possible to Rolling Stones or a Rolling Stone". This track is something dead years old, recorded damn faraway where I live, and it has nothing to do with the Rolling Stones are today, as they are ought be as a an object of fandom, and thereby, discussion, so who cares.

Now, isn't the "report this message" an tempting option, you REAL Rolling Stones fans.

Oh yeah, sorry I forget to say... Of course, it is a "great" track - like anything The Rolling Stones have done. And ever will do. Il love Justin Biev... oh sorry.. The Rolling Stones... blah blah blah.. kill teh nay say-sayers (million emoticons), etc. etc.

- Doxa

Hey Doxa, have a look at this thread: [www.iorr.org], listen to the music and then listen to a couple of great boots from the golden era. cool smiley

Good lord, has someone just hijacked Doxa's account or is the man experiencing an aneurysm in real time?

Date: March 31, 2014 17:36

Doxa
What the hell is matter what does it sounds like? It is recorded some 43 years ago, while I was some 4 years old, and the point to be a Rolling Stones fan and contribute in this site is is "to be as close as possible to The Rolling Stones or a Rolling Stone". This track is something dead years old, recorded damn faraway where I live, and it has nothing to do with the Rolling Stones are today, as they are ought be as a an object of fandom, and thereby, discussion, so who cares.

Now, isn't the "report this message" an tempting option, you REAL Rolling Stones fans?

Oh yeah, sorry I forget to say... Of course, it is a "great" track - like anything The Rolling Stones have done. And ever will do. I just love Justin Biev... oh sorry.. The Rolling Stones... blah blah blah.. kill teh nay say-sayers (million emoticons), etc. etc.

- Doxa

Hey Doxa, come on amigo. No need to get angry because of a few idiots out there. We still need your well considered critical faculties. Been looking forward to what you really think about this one.

Date: March 31, 2014 17:42

Chris Fountain
treaclefingers
Chris Fountain
treaclefingers
NEWMAN
HARDCORE PERFECT TUNE

ZZ Top rip off.

Yeah those days come quickly to mind. Tres Hombres is a good album in restropect. If not mistaken, Ithink "Jesus left Chicago" is on that album. Not sure, but I like the song. And that other song "Waitin on the Bus all day?" It's hard to remember-

ZZ Top was great in the day.

I still prefer the Stones version of "La Grange" though. One of the tracks that makes Exile standout.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: March 31, 2014 18:01

I always liked Charlie hitting the snare accent, a little surprise. And the increasing tension of the song. Great summer tune.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 31, 2014 18:07

Too many chords.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 31, 2014 18:10

Doxa

- Doxa

What triggered this? confused smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 31, 2014 18:18

treaclefingers
Chris Fountain
treaclefingers
Chris Fountain
treaclefingers
NEWMAN
HARDCORE PERFECT TUNE

ZZ Top rip off.

ZZ Top was great in the day.

I still prefer the Stones version of "La Grange" though. One of the tracks that makes Exile standout.

Yes, sums it up well. I love, love, LOVE the first side of Exile and this track never fails to lift my spirits. It's perfect.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1677
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home