Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Shine A Light DVD brain-teaser
Posted by: stonesman87 ()
Date: June 1, 2021 06:21

I have two apparently Australian releases of the Shine A Light DVD, one with cat. no. 38363SDO on the spine, the other with cat. no.38363SDW. The content (not to mention the artwork) in both appears to be identical.

"W" is not listed at discogs, but "O" is (for the Australian releases) - see [www.discogs.com]

I'm curious. Does anybody know why apparently the same thing for the one country has two slightly different cat. numbers?

Re: Shine A Light DVD brain-teaser
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 1, 2021 13:05

Maybe different Manufacturers or different Covers?

38363SDO:

[www.Sanity.com.au]

38363SDW:

[www.Discogs.com]

There're also different Barcodes: 9321337098975 , 9321337098968 .

Date: June 1, 2021 14:16

Quite right, that too. Who knows why?

I was hoping there might be some different content when I bought "68" just today from a charity shop ..... yeah, for half a dollar, and in, I mean it, mint condition. Sure, something different - the cat. no. and the bar code. Maybe somebody can come up with a 3rd "valuable" piece of information - an explanation!

Not complaining, however. It's a slightly interesting little quirk of information, kinda like that old one on the LPs - CUN and COC, heh, heh.

Date: June 2, 2021 09:36

Yesssss!! Have noticed a 3rd matter. My "W" has a clear plastic slipcase just like "O" pictured above. On the back lower right-hand corner of the slipcase, "38363SDW" is printed. However, my "O" has the same thing on its slipcase as well.

Wanna know more? The disc matrix details appear to be the same on both.

Not gettin' confused nearly as much as gettin' mystified.

Maybe they're like book reprints, only in this case DVD reprints. Could understand that, with "print runs" of Stones material getting sold out pretty often and a new run needing to be done.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 2, 2021 10:07

eeeeerrrr can I ring a friend ???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: exil ()
Date: June 2, 2021 12:12

I
ot the three disc ,dvd cd, digital transfer c oby.But the dvd is only in 5.1
sound,no stero.

Date: June 2, 2021 12:41

Rockman
eeeeerrrr can I ring a friend ???

Well, yeah, sure. Sure you don't want to choose 50/50 or get a new question instead?

OK, to be a bit more serious about it (for the aficionados), my money's on this being similar to the concept of a book reprint when the first run has been sold out. This makes the most sense to me, given that the only difference is in cataloguing and the fact that the content's identical on both.

I think I'm going to keep both in the collection as an example of my theory.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: June 2, 2021 14:18

There is another explanation apart of the 2nd pressing.
It is possible that Australian-made discs were sold on Oceania market (New Zealand and other islands). In that case they could possibly issue different barcode for import and use another code in the catalog number.

Like in old good days for London CDs. Like John Mayall with Eric Clapton - Blues Breakers [800 086-2] was 800 086-2 DH and with label code LC0171 (Decca) and 800 086-2 RH with label code LC0253 (London). I believe the 2nd one was for Germany and Europe, while the 1st - for the ROW. Surely, discs were pressed in Hanover, West Germany, in 1983 using the very same equipment and stamplers.

Date: June 3, 2021 00:01

ironbelly
It is possible that Australian-made discs were sold on Oceania market (New Zealand and other islands). In that case they could possibly issue different barcode for import and use another code in the catalog number.

Like in old good days for London CDs. Like John Mayall with Eric Clapton - Blues Breakers [800 086-2] was 800 086-2 DH and with label code LC0171 (Decca) and 800 086-2 RH with label code LC0253 (London). I believe the 2nd one was for Germany and Europe, while the 1st - for the ROW. Surely, discs were pressed in Hanover, West Germany, in 1983 using the very same equipment and stamplers.

Interesting ..... "O" - Oceania, "W" - world?

However, both my discs are R4. Perhaps it's just coding for different pressings after all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-03 02:44 by stonesman87.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: June 3, 2021 09:24

stonesman87
ironbelly

Interesting ..... "O" - Oceania, "W" - world?

However, both my discs are R4. Perhaps it's just coding for different pressings after all.
Hardly for the whole world. One for internal Australian market, the other for local market outside Australia. You know, there are not too many pressing plants in the world.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: June 6, 2021 17:29

I so wish there was a remixed version of this film. The performance is killer, but I just hate the stupid "3D" sound when the camera cuts to a guitar and then the guitar suddenly goes up in the audio mix. That's not how electric guitars work! I will always be mystified that Scorsese thought that was a good choice.

Date: June 7, 2021 02:34

jahisnotdead
I so wish there was a remixed version of this film. The performance is killer, but I just hate the stupid "3D" sound when the camera cuts to a guitar and then the guitar suddenly goes up in the audio mix. That's not how electric guitars work! I will always be mystified that Scorsese thought that was a good choice.

Sorry, this doesn't relate to the subject of this thread, doesn't help to solve the cat. # mystery. Perhaps try mentioning this in a new thread.

Date: June 16, 2021 09:54

I messaged Twentieth Century Studios in Australia about this about a week ago.

Got this reply today: "One of the SKU’s would most likely be a re-release, however this title is no longer available (i.e. discontinued)."

"O" and "W" both state 2008 on the back. Seems to me it's pretty safe to say that "W" is another manufacturing run after "O" sold out, and probably pretty quickly. Does everybody agree with that conclusion?

However, let's not speculate about the possibilities of "P" through to "V". Hmmm ..... maybe? For a big seller like the Stones, perhaps! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-16 10:19 by stonesman87.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1132
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home