Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Chuck Leavell Gets Back In Action
Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: June 12, 2021 04:08

[jambands.com]

Good to see the live appearances happening again.

Re: Chuck Leavell Gets Back In Action
Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: June 12, 2021 12:00

Chuck has a lot to answer for, a lovely man that kind of ruined my band.

Is this the best more iorr can offer today, the Beatles and Chuck, man the Stones need to tour soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-12 12:02 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 12, 2021 15:51

I was at this show. Most excellent.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 12, 2021 18:15

Rocktiludrop

Is this the best more iorr can offer today, the Beatles and Chuck, man the Stones need to tour soon.

Ignorant comment.

Date: June 12, 2021 18:17

I’m guessing everyone on stage and the staff working the show were fully vaccinated. What about the audience Elmo? Did they make you all show proof of vaccine? Were people masked?

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: June 12, 2021 18:18

Rocktiludrop

Your band? So you make the decisions? Why don’t you talk to Mick and Keith and let them know about Chuck.

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: June 12, 2021 19:11

I was game 1 and 5 at the Boston garden for the bruins 18k full attendance no masks required back to normal in Boston.

Date: June 12, 2021 19:24

I wonder if any of the Stones will do a sit-in somewhere before they all hit the stage together again? Maybe just to kick the tires and shake off any rust.

Date: June 12, 2021 19:39

Javadave
I’m guessing everyone on stage and the staff working the show were fully vaccinated. What about the audience Elmo? Did they make you all show proof of vaccine? Were people masked?

It was scheduled as a "social distanced concert" a few months back. So maybe 600 people in the 3000 seat Macon City Auditorium. Seats were spread out on the floor, and scattered in the balcony seating area. By show's end, most were down at the stage "festival seating" style like it was 1975.

I'm vaccinated, and as this was an older crowd for the most part, I'm guessing most there were too. But nobody was checking, etc. and a (very) few had masks on.

Chuck's piano on "Southbound" was excellent - just like on the Brothers and Sisters album. Duane Betts is very impressive and Devon Allman is pretty damn good, too.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: June 12, 2021 20:48

Cooltoplady
Rocktiludrop

Your band? So you make the decisions? Why don’t you talk to Mick and Keith and let them know about Chuck.

Oh yeah, definitely my band, 100%. And i don't share winking smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 12, 2021 22:58

"Chuck Leavell Gets Back In Action"

Now you have to give us a good news to balance things!

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: June 13, 2021 01:44

Great bloke is Chuck and no stones without him

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: June 13, 2021 03:00

Chuck does not have the same style as Stew, Nicky Hopkins, Billy Preston or Mac. But then again, who does.....and also has the ability to be part of the glue of THIS particular band?

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: June 14, 2021 00:41

Word to Elmo - glad you made the ABB show and more commentary, please!

While I am not as big of the "lead-piano" era of Chuck as are some, we must remember, Chuck is where he is doing what he does because Mick Jagger and Keith Richards and Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood want him there.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: June 14, 2021 04:20

stonesstein

While I am not as big of the "lead-piano" era of Chuck as are some, we must remember, Chuck is where he is doing what he does because Mick Jagger and Keith Richards and Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood want him there.

My first concert ever was the Allman Brothers Band in 1975. Growing up as a teenager in the 70's near Macon, well, you know....

Hate that I missed Duane, but have seen many different version of the band through the years.

I saw Duane playing with Dickie a couple of years ago, and he was great. Dickie needs to stay home at this point in time. And had seen Devon with Honeytribe and solo before (including with Gregg).

Allman Betts is NOT an ABB cover band, although they obviously play several of the songs (Blue Sky, Midnight Rider, Liz Reed, etc.). Their own songs are good - "Magnolia Road", for example. Alike, but different. I highly recommend them.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: June 14, 2021 04:21

Elmo Lewis
stonesstein

My first concert ever was the Allman Brothers Band in 1975. Growing up as a teenager in the 70's near Macon, well, you know....

Hate that I missed Duane Allman, but have seen many different version of the band through the years.

I saw Duane Betts playing with Dickie a couple of years ago, and he was great. Dickie needs to stay home at this point in time. And had seen Devon with Honeytribe and solo before (including with Gregg).

Allman Betts is NOT an ABB cover band, although they obviously play several of the songs (Blue Sky, Midnight Rider, Liz Reed, etc.). Their own songs are good - "Magnolia Road", for example. Alike, but different. I highly recommend them.

OT Re: Chuck Leavell Gets Back In Action
Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: June 14, 2021 17:52

Elmo Lewis
Elmo Lewis
stonesstein

Hate that I missed Duane Allman, but have seen many different version of the band through the years.

I saw Duane Betts playing with Dickie a couple of years ago, and he was great. Dickie needs to stay home at this point in time. And had seen Devon with Honeytribe and solo before (including with Gregg).

Elmo - I was fortunate, I suppose, to have seen one INCREDIBLE ABB show (7.16.90 - Macon City Aud.), one really good show (12.29.91 - Macon City Aud.), and one not very good, even sh!ttie, ABB show (11.9.90 - Lakewood).

The INCREDIBLE show on July 16, 1990 in the Macon City Auditorium:

10 – Intro Jam
20 – Don't Want You No More ->
30 – It's Not My Cross To Bear
40 – Statesboro Blues
50 – Blue Sky
60 – Low Down Dirty Mean
70 – Seven Turns
80 – Midnight Rider
90 – Loaded Dice
100 – Good Clean Fun
110 – It Ain't Over Yet
120 – In Memory of Elizabeth Reed
130 – One Way Out
140 – Blues Ain't Nothin'
150 – Gambler's Roll
160 – Shine It On
170 – Dreams
180 – True Gravity
190 – Encore:
200 – Ramblin' Man
210 – Southbound
220 – Jessica
230 – Whipping Post

As I recall, it lasted the better part of 4 hours. WOW! Unfortunately, the Lakewood show was so horrible that I swore I would not see them again, but for the "special" shows for new yearsish in 1991. After that, the closest I came was seeing Gregg in Savannah at Johnny Mercer in 2000ish and walking out in mid-show, because it was so incredibly terrible.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: June 14, 2021 18:17

Gregg's January 4 night runs at The Grand Opera House were good. He was clean and sober and had a great band.

Do you live in Georgia?

Re: OT Re: Chuck Leavell Gets Back In Action
Date: June 14, 2021 18:19

stonesstein
Elmo Lewis
Elmo Lewis
stonesstein

Elmo - I was fortunate, I suppose, to have seen one INCREDIBLE ABB show (7.16.90 - Macon City Aud.), one really good show (12.29.91 - Macon City Aud.), and one not very good, even sh!ttie, ABB show (11.9.90 - Lakewood).

The INCREDIBLE show on July 16, 1990 in the Macon City Auditorium:

10 – Intro Jam
20 – Don't Want You No More ->
30 – It's Not My Cross To Bear
40 – Statesboro Blues
50 – Blue Sky
60 – Low Down Dirty Mean
70 – Seven Turns
80 – Midnight Rider
90 – Loaded Dice
100 – Good Clean Fun
110 – It Ain't Over Yet
120 – In Memory of Elizabeth Reed
130 – One Way Out
140 – Blues Ain't Nothin'
150 – Gambler's Roll
160 – Shine It On
170 – Dreams
180 – True Gravity
190 – Encore:
200 – Ramblin' Man
210 – Southbound
220 – Jessica
230 – Whipping Post

As I recall, it lasted the better part of 4 hours. WOW! Unfortunately, the Lakewood show was so horrible that I swore I would not see them again, but for the "special" shows for new yearsish in 1991. After that, the closest I came was seeing Gregg in Savannah at Johnny Mercer in 2000ish and walking out in mid-show, because it was so incredibly terrible.

Nice setlist!

I saw them at Wanee in 2010. Completely different setlists both nights.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1955
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home