Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Sweet Black Angel Live
Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: May 19, 2021 18:20

Sweet Black Angel was only played once live. Anyone have any reasons for this?

My uncle told me about a Stones show he saw. I looked up the details on setlist.fm, and found he was there for the only live SBA performance. Were any of you there?

Re: Sweet Black Angel Live
Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 19, 2021 18:49

NashvilleBlues

My uncle told me about a Stones show he saw. I looked up the details on setlist.fm, and found he was there for the only live SBA performance. Were any of you there?

Look up the lyrics.

Unless Mick changes the words (well, one word), I have a pretty good idea why.

Date: May 19, 2021 18:51

stickyfingers101
NashvilleBlues

Look up the lyrics.

I think that is unlikely. They knew the lyrics before they played it. And, they still play Brown Sugar.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 19, 2021 18:54

Nice for your uncle!
Stevie Wonder opening.. from that Fort Worth show cool smiley

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 19, 2021 18:55

Because it didn't come off to good live with electric guitars. It's messy.
Loving Cup, which they did the first week of the tour, was a better contender for being a regular in the setlist, though they didn't play it after the machinery got really together, later on in 1972.

Date: May 19, 2021 19:00

MisterDDDD
Nice for your uncle!
Stevie Wonder opening.. from that Fort Worth show cool smiley

For sure! He mentioned where it was and when (first show of the day) and I looked it up. He didn't even mention SBA, I just noticed it when looking at the set list.

He did mention how impressive Stevie was, playing one instrument, then moving to the next. Said how apathetic The Stones seemed. He's a huge Stones fan, but he wasn't too excited about their vibe that day.

Date: May 19, 2021 19:02

Erik_Snow
Because it didn't come off to good live with electric guitars. It's messy.
Loving Cup, which they did the first week of the tour, was a better contender for being a regular in the setlist, though they didn't play it after the machinery got really together, later on in 1972.

Yeah. It did sound a bit rough around the edges, even for The Stones. Would've been cool if they kept working with it.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: May 19, 2021 19:18

something to do with Angela Davis?

Date: May 19, 2021 19:36

Natlanta
something to do with Angela Davis?

Not sure. Found it odd they played it during the day show but not the night show that day. And never played it again.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 19, 2021 19:38

Angela Davis laughed at, scorned really, that song and the concept it could have been about her. She doesn't put up with white privilege and never has, nor sexist racist a holes using her in any manner including inspiration for a song that is both sexist and racist. And this song was pretty much the child of a marriage of white privilege and a marshmallow.

jb

Date: May 19, 2021 19:43

jbwelda
Angela Davis laughed at, scorned really, that song and the concept it could have been about her. She doesn't put up with white privilege and never has, nor sexist racist a holes using her in any manner including inspiration for a song that is both sexist and racist. And this song was pretty much the child of a marriage of white privilege and a marshmallow.

jb

My kind of woman!

Date: May 19, 2021 19:46

Exactly.

jb

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 19, 2021 20:04

NashvilleBlues
stickyfingers101
NashvilleBlues

Look up the lyrics.

I think that is unlikely. They knew the lyrics before they played it. And, they still play Brown Sugar.

a fair point...

I guess my point was that perhaps:

a) Maybe somebody said "Yo, that's not cool" and Mick dropped it

b) Maybe Mick decided he didn't like singing that word live and didn't want to get caught in a cycle of doing so night-after-night....and decided to drop it.

I obviously don't know...

As for Brown Sugar - it's not the same. For one, no other word in history compares to N-Bomb, IMO.

for two, as far as my knowledge goes (which is not nearly as good as many people here, so take it for what it is): Mick hasn't sung "hear him whip the women" or "just like a black girl should" in many years

again...I could be wrong on that. But, I do believe that Mick must be somewhat conscientious of this type of thing.

I welcome any feedback on this from more knowledgeable parties.

I simply doubt it was "Oh, that sounded messy and crappy, rather than try to sort it out....let's never play it again"

Only my opinion.

Personally, I'm glad they dropped it. The word simply makes me uncomfortable. I skip over that song on Exile these days. Good song. The word ruins it for me, IMO.

IMO, he could've sung "brothers" instead....I don't know why he had to "go there"...I don't feel the N-Bomb adds anything to the song.

But, they were young etc. etc. and I'm not in the band, so I take it for what it is....

at least it's not full aggro like Axl in "One in a Million"....but, I guess if Axl's intent was to come across as an angry, racist white-boy from the sticks, he succeeded.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 19, 2021 20:14

They only did it as the shows were filmed. They added Don't Lie To Me, Sweet Black Angel and Dead Flowers just for that, all rehearsed 2 days before in Dallas.

Mathijs

Date: May 19, 2021 20:25

Mathijs
They only did it as the shows were filmed. They added Don't Lie To Me, Sweet Black Angel and Dead Flowers just for that, all rehearsed 2 days before in Dallas.

Mathijs

Interesting. I've heard the audio, but never seen the video. Where is it?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 19, 2021 20:41

jbwelda
And this song was pretty much the child of a marriage of white privilege and a marshmallow.

jb

Imagine what a tasty show that was...a chocolate opening act, followed by some crackers...who played that "marshmallow" song.

I'l bet at the end the crowd was shouting out for "S'MORES! S'MORES!!"

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 19, 2021 21:23

jbwelda

jb

That's a lot of frustration in a few sentences...
I also read about Angela Davis' response (did she really or was it modified by ...) and by reading it I couldn't help thinking that if that is what she said, her intellect must have been limited. She was fighting for a great cause, but not being able to understand well hearted contributions of white people to support her fight, makes her thinking limited. The lyrics of SBA are not sexist and racist. Only frustrated people think that way. Poems so often have hidden meanings within them and it's for the open minds to be able to read/find them. "White privilege", what a b*llshit!
Once upon a time I was in Washington DC and was hungry arriving in a hotel after a long flight from Europe. The hotel manager told me that the only food place nearby was a McDonalds. He said I'd better not go there because it was for black people. To me, nothing is for white people only and consequently nothing was for black people only either. So I went there to get my meal and enjoyed it inside, surrounded by black people. Many strange looks, but it didn't make me feel uncomfortable in any way. It was more the other way around! The latter I could off course understand because this was the USA and they couldn't know I was a non racist white European. All was peaceful and I returned with a happy stomach back to the hotel. The manager thought I was crazy, well ... I didn't.
Mick's intensions were good ...
cool smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: May 19, 2021 21:39

NashvilleBlues
Mathijs

Mathijs

Interesting. I've heard the audio, but never seen the video. Where is it?

You have seen Dead Flowers smiling smiley

Date: May 19, 2021 21:48

Interesting read.
May have to track down the "Sweet Black Angel" strain smoking smiley

The story behind The Rolling Stones’ Angela Davis song

“We had never met her, but we admired her from afar,” Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards said of Angela Davis, talking to Harper’s Bazaar writer Brooke Mazurek in 2017.

Richards and Stones singer Mick Jagger wrote the band’s 1972 song “Sweet Black Angel” about Davis, the Birmingham native and controversial civil rights activist.

It’s a standout track on one of rock’s greatest albums, The Stones’ 1972 double-LP “Exile on Main St.”

A mix of blues, folk and world-music, “Sweet Black Angel” is a rare snuggly tune on the otherwise piratically plastered “Exile.

“We had never met her, but we admired her from afar,” Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards said of Angela Davis, talking to Harper’s Bazaar writer Brooke Mazurek in 2017.

Richards and Stones singer Mick Jagger wrote the band’s 1972 song “Sweet Black Angel” about Davis, the Birmingham native and controversial civil rights activist.

It’s a standout track on one of rock’s greatest albums, The Stones’ 1972 double-LP “Exile on Main St.”

A mix of blues, folk and world-music, “Sweet Black Angel” is a rare snuggly tune on the otherwise piratically plastered “Exile.

Basic tracks for “Sweet Black Angel” were cut at Stargroves, Jagger’s English country manor using the “Rolling Stones Mobile Studio,” according to recording engineer Andy Johns, as told to Bill Janovitz, author of the “Exile” installment of the 33 1/3 book series.

“That was done all of them in a room in a circle at the same time, because there was this one room away from the main hall that had no furniture in it, with a wooden floor, quite high ceilings and plaster walls,” Johns said in Janovitz’s book. “We wanted to get the sound of the room.”

On the recording, that intimate scene comes through, with a campfire-like vibe. Jagger’s lyrics aren’t quite “Kumbaya” though.

Jagger sings in a Caribbean patois on “Sweet Black Angel.” He’d employ a similar vocal tone for later Stones cuts including reggae “Cherry Oh Baby” and tribal rocker “Hey Negrita” on erratic 1976 LP “Black and Blue.”

For “Sweet Black Angel,” Jagger also laid-down some tasteful harmonica. The flamboyant frontman is a fine, instinctual player of this blues instrument, a point Richards frequently makes in interviews.

When not using the Rolling Stones Mobile Studio on their own projects, Jagger and company rented the unit out to other artists including Led Zeppelin and The Who. According to Philippe Margotin and Jean-Michel Guesdon’s book “The Rolling Stones All the Songs: The Story Behind Every Track,” recordings for “Sweet Black Angel” were also done at Nellcote, London’s Olympic Studios, as well as, like many “Exile” overdubs, Hollywood, Calif.’s Sunset Sound.

The working title for “Sweet Black Angel” was “Bent Green Needles.”

According to “All the Songs,” Richards played his Gibson Hummingbird acoustic guitar on the song. He also sings ragged-righteous high-harmonies. A second, background acoustic strummed on “Sweet Black Angel” is either Richards or Mick Taylor, The Stones’ wunderkind lead-guitarist during this era.

Jimmy Miller contributed guiro, that clicking insect-sounding percussion, on “Sweet Black Angel.” He likely also played woodblock on the tune. Miller was the rhythmically savvy producer who helmed “Exile” and other albums in the mighty late ’60s/early ’70s Stones tetralogy: “Beggars Banquet,” ?Let It Bleed” and “Sticky Fingers.” He also produced notable records for bands such as Traffic, Blind Faith and Motorhead.

New Orleans musician Richard “Didymus” Washington played the sunny marimba lines that bring optimism to the “Sweet Black Angel” outro. On the original “Exile” inner sleeve Washington, introduced to The Stones by Dr. John, was credited as “Amyl Nitrate.”

Some rock scribes assert The Stones rarely got political as they do on “Sweet Black Angel.” But that’s not totally true. When the band addressed politics in their music they just had the decency to make sure the track was still fun to listen to. For example, The Stones’ politics rocked on “Street Fighting Man.” On “Undercover of the Night” it was sexy.

“Exile on Main St” was released on May 1, 1972 in the U.S., according to riaa.com, via the band’s Atlantic Records-distributed vanity imprint, Rolling Stones Records.

That same day in Paris, Jagger and then-wife Bianca Jagger participated in a march supporting Davis, according to timeisonourside.com, an online Stones fan database.

“Sweet Black Angel” clocks in at just under three minutes.

The band liked the song enough to use it as the B-side for their “Tumbling Dice” single, which peaked at number seven on the Billboard Hot 100.

However, The Stones have only performed “Sweet Black Angel” live once in the 47 years since its release. That was during the first of two Fort Worth, Texas shows played on June 24, 1972. The song was adapted for stage with chugging “Midnight Rambler” type guitar, jazz cymbals and horn accents. It took at least a chorus and verse before things gelled.

Alas “Sweet Black Angel” live “stuck out like a sore thumb,” Richards said in his 2017 Harper’s interview. “It never seemed to really fit into a Stones show.”

In 2009, Vermont jam-band Phish performed “Sweet Black Angel” during their Halloween concert covering “Exile” in its entirety. Phish opted for an acoustic, piano-heavy and poppier arrangement. And considerably more Caucasian sounding delivery.

The Rolling Stones weren’t the only famous musicians voicing support for Davis during the early ’70s. Former Beatle John Lennon and wife Yoko Ono wrote “Angela,” an orchestral folk tune from their 1972 studio album “Some Time in New York City,” about Davis. Soul singer Aretha Franklin reportedly offered to pay Davis’ bond. According to Rolling Stone writer Jamil Smith, “though Franklin put the bail money into escrow, she was out of the country, which prevented her from posting Davis’s bond. It was ultimately paid by a progressive white farmer named Rodger MacAfee.”

More recently, “Sweet Black Angel” has gone from Stones to stoned. Spain-based cannabis company Samsara Seeds produces a strain called “Sweet Black Angel,” which weed information website Wikileaf says was named for that song about Davis. According to Wikileaf, the strain “offers a fruity flavor profile and a pervasive body high that’s sure to appeal to cannabis newcomers and veterans alike.”

In 2013, Rolling Stone magazine ranked “Sweet Black Angel” at number 57 in their “100 Greatest Rolling Stones Songs” list — ahead of the band’s classic ballad “Angie” (which is not about Davis), sublime blues-cover “Love in Vain” and early hit “Heart of Stone,” among others. A year earlier, “Exile” landed at number seven on that magazine’s “Greatest Albums of All Time.” It bested other flagships like Michael Jackson’s “Thriller,” Bruce Springsteen’s “Born to Run,” Nirvana’s “Nevermind,” The Beatles’ “Abbey Road” and Miles Davis’ “Kind of Blue.”

“Exile on Main St” contains at least one more Birmingham-related reference. At one point during the blues-punk song “Rip This Joint,” Jagger screams the lyric: “Wham! Bam! Birmingham! Alabam’ don’t give a damn!”

The band’s Alabama connections run deeper. They’d recorded three songs for previous LP “Sticky Fingers” at Sheffield’s Muscle Shoals Sound Studios: sex/drugs romp “Brown Sugar,” country ballad “Wild Horses” and blues redux “You Gotta Move.” The Stones had played concerts at Birmingham’s Legion Field in 1965 and Auburn University in 1969. The 1972 tour promoting “Exile” would hit Mobile and Tuscaloosa — and, for later tours, the group returned to Legion Field in 1989 and 1994. Tuscaloosa native and former Allman Brothers Band musician Chuck Leavell has been The Rolling Stones keyboardist since 1982. Chalkville native and Muscle Shoals studio musician Wayne Perkins played eloquent lead-guitar on Stones songs “Hand of Fate,” ?Memory Motel,” ?Fool To Cry” and “Worried About You."

In 2019, The Rolling Stones are touring once again. The band remains a rattlesnake-potent live act. Angela Davis is still making headlines too. The Birmingham Civil Rights Institute made plans to honor Davis, then rescinded that decision, then rescinded the rescission. Meanwhile, Harvard University acquired Davis’ personal archive, including her now-iconic FBI poster. I’m not sure how much press Davis will be doing this year, but the next interview she grants hopefully a journalist will ask her thoughts on “Sweet Black Angel.” It would be fascinating to know them. As recent as 18 months ago, Richards hadn’t ruled out dusting off “Sweet Black Angel” for a Stones concert, saying of the song, “It’s still quite relevant, isn’t it? And that’s unfortunate. This stuff has stayed with us for too long.”
[apnews.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-19 21:49 by MisterDDDD.

Date: May 19, 2021 23:19

georgie48
jbwelda

jb

I also read about Angela Davis' response (did she really or was it modified by ...) and by reading it I couldn't help thinking that if that is what she said, her intellect must have been limited. She was fighting for a great cause, but not being able to understand well hearted contributions of white people to support her fight, makes her thinking limited. The lyrics of SBA are not sexist and racist. Only frustrated people think that way. Poems so often have hidden meanings within them and it's for the open minds to be able to read/find them. "White privilege", what a b*llshit!
Once upon a time I was in Washington DC and was hungry arriving in a hotel after a long flight from Europe. The hotel manager told me that the only food place nearby was a McDonalds. He said I'd better not go there because it was for black people. To me, nothing is for white people only and consequently nothing was for black people only either. So I went there to get my meal and enjoyed it inside, surrounded by black people. Many strange looks, but it didn't make me feel uncomfortable in any way. It was more the other way around! The latter I could off course understand because this was the USA and they couldn't know I was a non racist white European. All was peaceful and I returned with a happy stomach back to the hotel. The manager thought I was crazy, well ... I didn't.
cool smiley

I heard her talk about it in person on a couple of occasions.

All that aside, I love the song myself. Just think the whole Angela Davis connection is contrived and not appreciated from the subject's corner.

You think white privilege is bullshit, and I bet you are white. Quite a common coinkidink I have found.

And good one about the s'mores.

jb

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 19, 2021 23:40

jbwelda
georgie48
jbwelda

jb

cool smiley

All that aside, I love the song myself. Just think the whole Angela Davis connection is contrived and not appreciated from the subject's corner.

You think white privilege is bullshit, and I bet you are white. Quite a common coinkidink I have found.

jb

Re White Privilege: often misunderstood and misused. Could easily be called “majority privilege”, but that doesn’t have the same stinging, uncomfortable connection.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 19, 2021 23:44

There is a cool version of SBA on the Dallas Rehearsals, albeit a short segment.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 19, 2021 23:49

jbwelda
georgie48
jbwelda

jb

cool smiley

jb

I was responding on what you wrote, not about the general global situation.
I wrote that I'm a white non racist European visiting a "black" McDonalds. Don't think I'm not aware of what bad thing whites have done to people of other "color". Too much to mention. But don't forget that people of other "color" have been (and still are) to people of even their own kind. Look at some African countries or to the Arab world, for instance.
Sweet Black Angel is a nice and well meant anthem. That's all.
smileys with beer
What is the meaning "coinkidink" in this context, by the way? Looked it up, but can't place it. Maybe you should talk to black people who have visited "white" countries outside the USA. I can tell you "it's NOT the USA". Come over to the Netherlands one day (not in Colorado winking smiley) and you'll be surprised (off course you may run into some jerks, but not in general for sure).

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 20, 2021 00:06

What exactly is a person of color? Hispanics from the Americas are genetically white.Black tribe’s enslaved other blacks in Africa .Many were sold to Arab and Europeans .The history of man is the history of atrocities by all races.Whites have done a lot of that to sub Saharan Africans.The Europeans enslaved and committed crimes and exploited Africans
because they were militarily stronger, therefore more atrocities by the victor.But Europeans also gave subSaharian blacks modern culture.They would have no modern plum such as hot water/cold water,clean water, air conditioning ,concrete buildings, modern medicine, cars, radios, phones,internet ,modern farming, written language,photography,airplanes,processed foods, shoes,mode clothing, televisions, electricity, hospitals etc.Yes, Europeans did exploit and committed atrocities but also gave them modern technology .So let’s address the bad and continue to correct it

Date: May 20, 2021 00:17

Siri, show me what a racist would say:

Taylor1
What exactly is a person of color? Hispanics from the Americas are genetically white.Black tribe’s enslaved other blacks in Africa .Many were sold to Arab and Europeans .The history of man is the history of atrocities by all races.Whites have done a lot of that to sub Saharan Africans.The Europeans enslaved and committed crimes and exploited Africans
because they were militarily stronger, therefore more atrocities by the victor.But Europeans also gave subSaharian blacks modern culture.They would have no modern plum such as hot water/cold water,clean water, air conditioning ,concrete buildings, modern medicine, cars, radios, phones,internet ,modern farming, written language,photography,airplanes,processed foods, shoes,mode clothing, televisions, electricity, hospitals etc.Yes, Europeans did exploit and committed atrocities but also gave them modern technology .So let’s address the bad and continue to correct it

Date: May 20, 2021 01:01

MisterDDDD
Siri, show me what a racist would say:

Taylor1

Ouch! Really sad.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 20, 2021 03:15

She may be black but she's no angel. "For a judge's murder". The Stones were so damn naive, as documented in Gimme Shelter.

Date: May 20, 2021 03:21

Pick up a book once in a while.

bleedingman
She may be black but she's no angel. "For a judge's murder". The Stones were so damn naive, as documented in Gimme Shelter.

"In 1970, guns belonging to Davis were used in an armed takeover of a courtroom in Marin County, California, in which four people were killed. Prosecuted for three capital felonies, including conspiracy to murder, she was held in jail for over a year before being acquitted of all charges in 1972."

Date: May 20, 2021 03:31

Acquitted of all charges in a babylon court of law. If there were even the slightest proof of the charges she woulda swung from the tree outside the Marin County Courthouse (designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, by the way, used to live about two miles from it) immediately following the guilty verdict, no need for "sentencing".

Its no good to live in a white man country too long. -king yellowman

Perhaps that answers georgie48's query above.

jb

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: May 20, 2021 05:16

Amazing cover of this song by Chadwick Stokes and Matt Embree on Chadwick Stokes & Friends Live at the Armory. It's available on Spotify and on You Tube (I think).

Stokes is a known human rights activist.

It is funny how some hereon are so quick to bash the Stones and/or Lennon and other very public figures for trying to take a stand and help Davis and open people's eyes to injustices in what was thought of to be a very liberal state which in fact was hardly that.

Davis may or may not have bristled at the SBA song, but it is hard to imagine that a lady of her intelligence would not appreciate that some among the most visible celebrities were making an effort.

Check out Stokes' and Embree's version.

Good vibes to one and all and especially to those who are throwing barbs at one another on a @#$%& Stones' board. Peace the #$%& out.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1848
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home