Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Jim Callaghan
Posted by: The Source ()
Date: September 3, 2012 23:23

Hello All,

Some years have passed does anyone Know the whereabouts of JC Old Chief of Security for the rolling stones?

Re: Jim Callaghan
Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 3, 2012 23:59

In his autobiography Ronnie Wood writes that JC "returned to his old boss Bob Dylan", I do not know if this is true, but I am not too sad that I did not meet this Gorilla at the Dylan concerts I attended.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-04 00:05 by windmelody.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 4, 2012 00:01

Working for Dylan and AC/DC.

Mathijs

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 4, 2012 03:27

I met him once.
He was super cool to me.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 4, 2012 03:32

windmelody
In his autobiography Ronnie Wood writes that JC "returned to his old boss Bob Dylan", I do not know if this is true, but I am not too sad that I did not meet this Gorilla at the Dylan concerts I attended.

If you'd met him, you might choose your words differently. Any dealings I had with him, he was an absolute gent.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 4, 2012 03:52

He worked w/Dylan after the Stones let him go but I'm not sure he still does.

Posted by: The Source ()
Date: September 4, 2012 06:03

Indeed i agree an absolute Gent was wondering if he is out on this Dylan Tour

Cheers

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 4, 2012 10:44

Gazza
Any dealings I had with him, he was an absolute gent.

Absolutely. Great guy. Always willing to help.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 4, 2012 11:52

Rolling Hansie
Gazza
Any dealings I had with him, he was an absolute gent.

Absolutely. Great guy. Always willing to help.

Interesting, but if you met him you know more than me.

Date: September 4, 2012 13:16

windmelody

Interesting indeed, you never met him and yet you write: "I am not too sad that I did not meet this Gorilla".

-------------------

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 4, 2012 13:20

He's a big dude.

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 4, 2012 14:03

I don't know much about Callaghan, why did the Stones let him go?

Date: September 4, 2012 14:09

Edith Grove
He's a big dude.

[www.iorr.org]

The thing is, he's actually not that big or fearsome looking at all.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 4, 2012 14:20

latebloomer

He was an excellent opportunity to get the best tickets in the house. But his business got a big too big and the Stones (read Jagger) had to set an example for all employees.

Mathijs

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 4, 2012 14:57

Mathijs
latebloomer

He was an excellent opportunity to get the best tickets in the house. But his business got a big too big and the Stones (read Jagger) had to set an example for all employees.

Mathijs

That´s what I heard, too. Wasn´t that after Licks Europe?

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: September 4, 2012 15:11

TooTough
Wasn´t that after Licks Europe?

During.

Posted by: readymade ()
Date: September 4, 2012 15:19

He was dylan's security, but long time ago..

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 4, 2012 15:20

"He was an excellent opportunity to get the best tickets in the house"

You mean for club-show. He'd "give" you the whole package (tix, wristbands etc) right?

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: September 4, 2012 16:48

I think I read somewhere that there may have been some kind of health issue with Jim.

Date: September 4, 2012 17:44

Rolling Hansie
windmelody

Interesting indeed, you never met him and yet you write: "I am not too sad that I did not meet this Gorilla".

Ironic description now in light of today's breaking news!

Date: September 4, 2012 17:47

Gazza
Rolling Hansie
windmelody

Ironic description now in light of today's breaking news!

LOL ... GRRR!

-------------------

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: May 15, 2013 02:04

I had the absolute pleasure of meeting Mr. Callaghan on October 16 1986 at the Fabulous Fox Theatre - St. Louis - Hail Hail Rock N' Roll, Chuck Berry's 60th. Birthday Party. The show had been split in 2, I had 4 Tickets for the day show and swapped 2 for the night show. Before the show started I attempted to manuever through the stage door, I was confronted by an English gent who asked.....whooaaa whooaaa, where ya going mate, I replied I am here to play the show, he asked me... who are ya, I replied Little Willie from Chicago, I pulled out my harp and started wailing.....tell Chuck and Keith that I just drove 5 hours and I am ready to play, he said.....wait right here, he came back in about 3 minutes and said I was not on the list, I gave him my harmonica and said.....show this to Chuck and Keith they'll know who I am, after 20 minutes he came back laughing and said.....nice try mate. Now fast forward to Chicago September 18th. 1997 - The Double Door, I am trying everything to get in, as the Stones arrive I hear a woman yell out hey JC, I look and it is him, the same guy. Right before the show starts, I yell out to him....Hey JC, St. Louis 1986, The Fabulous Fox Theatre, Hail Hail Rock N' Roll, Chuck Berry's Birthday Party..... Little Willie, I pull out my harp and start wailing, he looks me in the eye and sez OH NO... and slaps his forehead with his hand. He keeps scanning the crowd and looking at me, they open up with Little Queenie, several people are behind the barracades yelling to keep the doors open, halfway thru Little Queenie he approaches me and hands me a pass, I am stunned, I asked him.....what about my girl, he sez take her in Willie, we end up stage left leaning on the stage. Through out the years I would see him here and there, never asking for anything, had lunch with him right before the Aragon show in Chicago, another time he gave my son a pick. The last time I saw him was Atlanta 2004 / Dylan, he asked if I had a ticket, I said yes, he said sell it, I sold it, ran an errand for him and he let me in 20 minutes before the doors opened. When he stopped working with the Stones for Bigger Bang, I said @#$%& it and did not go to any shows. His interaction with people was classic, he was friendly, personable, and yes Super Kool. I am sure he still works with Dylan. This 2013 Tour, I hit Oakland-San Jose-Vegas and will also hit the hometown for 3 in Chicago, hoping to see him. I am running into people that I have seen throughout the course of time and we all say the same thing - It is Just Not The Same without JC, WE MISS YA MAN - JC A True Gent.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-15 06:01 by 2120Wolf.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 15, 2013 02:09

2120Wolf
I had the absolute pleasure of meeting Mr. Callaghan on October 16 1986 at the Fabulous Fox Theatre - St. Louis - Hail Hail Rock N' Roll, Chuck Berry's 60th. Birthday Party. The show had been split in 2. I had 4 Tickets for the day show and swapped 2 for the night show. Before the show started I attempted to manuever through the stage door, I was confronted by an English gent who asked.....whooaaa whooaaa, where ya going mate, I replied I am here to play the show, he asked me... who are ya, I replied Little Willie from Chicago, I pulled out my harp and started wailing.....tell Chuck and Keith that I just drove 5 hours and I am ready to play, he said.....wait right here, he came back in about 3 minutes and said I was not on the list, I gave him my harmonica and said.....show this to Chuck and Keith they will know who I am, after 20 minutes he came back laughing and said.....nice try mate. Now fast forward to Chicago September 18th. 1997 - The Double Door, I am trying everything to get in, as the Stones arrive I hear a woman yell out hey JC, I look and it is him, the same guy. Right before the show starts, I yell out to him....Hey JC, St. Louis 1986, The Fabulous Fox Theatre, Hail Hail Rock N' Roll, Chuck Berry's Birthday Party..... Little Willie, I pull out my harp and start wailing, he looks me in the eye and sez OH NO... and slaps his forehead with his hand. He keeps scanning the crowd and looking at me they open up with Little Quennie, several people are behind the barracades yelling to keep the doors open, halfway thru Little Queenie he approches me and hands me a pass, I am stunned, I asked him.....what about my girl, he sez take her in Willie, we end up stage left leaning on the stage. Through out the years I would see him here and there, never asking for anything, had lunch with him right before the Aragon show in Chicago, another time he gave my son a pick. The last time I saw him was Atlanta 2004, he asked if I had a ticket, I said yes, he said sell it, I sold it, ran an errand for him and he got me in 20 minutes before the doors opened. When he stopped working with the Stones for Bigger Bang, I said @#$%& it and did not go to any shows. His interaction with people was classic, he was friendly, personable, and yes Super Kool. I am sure he still works with Dylan. This 2013 Tour, I hit Oakland-San Jose-Vegas and will also hit the hometown for 3 in Chicago, hoping to see him. I am running into people that I have seen throughout the course of time and we all say the same thing - It is Just Not The Same without JC, WE MISS YA MAN - JC A True Gent.

Incredibly long post...and worth every damn word.
Thanks for your thoughts that was a cool read...

Date: May 15, 2013 02:17

I think Callaghan looked after them the same way Ian Stewart did. Callaghan would guide them to the stage with his flash light while the lights were down and then guide them off, then after the show out to their rides. He seemed to be their every move they made out in public, in and out of hotels and venues. I was really hoping he was going to be on this tour, hopefully he's behind the scene enjoying this tour with them !!! I really do not believe the ticket scandal BS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-15 02:24 by 2120Wolf.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 15, 2013 02:35

Ohh... you guys mean Jim GAFFIGAN...

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 15, 2013 02:41

2120Wolf
I think Callaghan looked after them the same way Ian Stewart did. Callaghan would guide them to the stage with his flash light while the lights were down and then guide them off, then after the show out to their rides. He seemed to be their every move they made out in public, in and out of hotels and venues. I was really hoping he was going to be on this tour, hopefully he's behind the scene enjoying this tour with them !!! I really do not believe the ticket scandal BS.

So were you just faking JC out with the old Little Willie act or do you have a show and set of your own?

Date: May 15, 2013 03:25

I play but nothing major, Yes I was working it.

Date: May 15, 2013 03:27

flacnvinyl
Ohh... you guys mean Jim GAFFIGAN...

NO WE MEAN CALLAGHAN

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 15, 2013 04:35

2120Wolf

great story! love it!