Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Let Me Go
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 12, 2012 22:22

can take it or leave it ... as stated in the Lies thread, I love the Some Girls rockers, Lies, Respectable, Whip ... but for some reason the ER ones just aren't as good to me ... Let Me Go and Summer Romance are just Some Girls 'wannabe' tracks.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 12, 2012 22:40

it's so good...and i love it dearly.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: June 13, 2012 00:52

Gazza
uhbuhgullayew
Always liked this tune and it is one of the very few where I prefer the live version.

I'm the opposite.

I think the studio version swings absolutely beautifully. Very underrated song and a really fine lead vocal too. One of the best two or three songs on the entire album.

Was very disappointed when I heard the way they tunelessly thrashed their way through it (and 'She's So Cold') on the 81-82 tour. The live versions do neither of the songs any justice at all.

I agree. I love the studio version with its lazy drawl and melodic flair...it has a nice groove to it. And its a funny song.

Live, they squeezed all the juice out of it.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: June 13, 2012 07:40

I like the Hampton version because they solo on it ForEVER! It's hacked up on Still Life.

Ah, those were the days when the really put some effort into playing the new songs live. Haven't heard that much effort since "Out of Control."

That said, the live and studio versions don't even feel like the same song to me.

T@3

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 13, 2012 07:56

I wish so much that they would remix this track and remove that damn tambourine! Other than that little irritating bit this is a fantastic track. I agree with most of you that ER is an incredibly underrated album. If it weren't for Indian Girl I would have played it constantly during parties. Instead its one if those albums you have to catch before the end of Side1 before the clock strikes midnight and the Stones turn into Jimmy Buffet.

Let Me Go is fantastic. Love the studio and live versions!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 17, 2012 03:17

I have always like Let Me Go. I love the sort if loose lazy rocker feel and Mick nails it!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 17, 2012 11:33

To my ears "Let Me Go" represent exactly is what the band during making EMOTIONAL RESCUE was. The "push harder and hardrer, faster and faster" idealogy of SOME GIRLS is gone, and the band sounds more relaxed and loose. Simply phenomanal groove the song has - and no any band nor singer ever could match with that result. The Stones totally in their own territory the others don't dare even to dream of visiting.

Besides, it has melodically a nice, catchy hook.

I also belong to the school who thinks that the speeded-up live version, manifesed of course in STILL LIFE, don't do a justice to the song, even though I like the idea that the band rearranged it to a live form.

- Doxa

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 17, 2012 11:35

Doxa
To my ears "Let Me Go" represent exactly is what the band during making EMOTIONAL RESCUE was. The "push harder and hardrer, faster and faster" idealogy of SOME GIRLS is gone, and the band sounds more relaxed and loose. Simply phenomanal groove the song has - and no any band nor singer ever could match with that result. The Stones totally in their own territory the others don't dare even to dream of visiting.

I also belong to the school who thinks that the speeded-up live version, manifesed of course in STILL LIFE, don't do a justice to the song, even though I like the idea that the band rearranged it to a live form.

- Doxa

thumbs up

Date: June 17, 2012 15:44

loved it live. took a great studio track and transformed for a mass stage audience. this is what great bands do. please be respectful of this process.

Date: June 17, 2012 15:59

StonesTod
loved it live. took a great studio track and transformed for a mass stage audience. this is what great bands do. please be respectful of this process.

Yes I am, Sir, I most certainly am!

- Doxa

Date: June 17, 2012 16:09

Doxa
StonesTod

Yes I am, Sir, I most certainly am!

- Doxa

and please be sure to highlight the entire portion of the quote that you wish to respectfully reference.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 17, 2012 16:13

Doxa

- Doxa

If there is one song discard worthy on Still Life, it's LMG. It shouldn't be played in the same tempo as Neighbors. I consider it one of the better songs on ER. As a matter of opinion, I think Dance and LMG should have been in each other's order. As Doxa stated, no justice adhered.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 17, 2012 16:25

I am not a fan of the sped up Let me Go on Still Life either.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 17, 2012 20:48

Green Lady
Yes I do like it. A lot. But enough is ENOUGH. Go AWAY!

i believe you mean let me GO!, Green Lady my dear :E - self-reference, baby!

a few years ago i posted a request for help learning to love ER (the album)
and a handful of gallant posters [waving] held this beauty up to the light for me
so i could experience for myself how luxuriously glorious it is at this tempo -
thank you iorr and thank you Rolling Stones!

i still dig the live version a lot too, though ... and that thing the Mick did in concert,
traipsing through the crowd letting people put their hands on him while he sang "let me go" - self-reference, baby! x2

Date: June 17, 2012 22:09

with sssoul
Green Lady
Yes I do like it. A lot. But enough is ENOUGH. Go AWAY!

i believe you mean let me GO!, Green Lady my dear :E - self-reference, baby!

a few years ago i posted a request for help learning to love ER (the album)
and a handful of gallant posters [waving] held this beauty up to the light for me
so i could experience for myself how luxuriously glorious it is at this tempo -
thank you iorr and thank you Rolling Stones!

i still dig the live version a lot too, though ... and that thing the Mick did in concert,
traipsing through the crowd letting people put their hands on him while he sang "let me go" - self-reference, baby! x2

right. it was always intended to be a traipsing song. while he traipsed, he sang...ergo: traipsing.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 17, 2012 22:17

Same goes for "Satisfaction" as well - Song is meant and is at best when performed as intended. In other words, these tunes are played outside of original tempo do not capture true magic of originality and sound.

I can't understand why the Stones will play "Paint it Black" live to original form and not others..

Date: June 17, 2012 23:18

not a great stones track; sorry

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 18, 2012 03:08

It was around this time that the band's (Jagger's) sleaze factor, put downs and general negativity got to be tiresome. At one time I mistook it for cool. But later in its career you realized that that is what Jagger always returns to and I ceased responding. But put a fast tempo to it and you will find people who like it. This is a fun song? Fast tempo or not, who wants to dance to that?

Posted by: mandrax1972 ()
Date: June 19, 2012 19:05

real nice guitar solo on the studio version

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: June 19, 2012 19:55

'Let Me Go' is a very mediocre Stones track in my opinion. True, Jagger's vocals were still pretty good at this point, where he hadn't quite lost his sense of perspective, which would happen towards the mid eighties. The Stones were still young enough and vital enough in terms of potential, but somewhere along the line their inspiration had started to wane considerably. 'Emotional Rescue' the title track was an inspiring departure, but 'Let Me Go' reminds me of the tracks on IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL where the Stones were just going through the motions of sounding like their former selves but with none of their former inspiration! 'Let Me Go' is one of the Stones most hollow sounding numbers up to that point. However, comparing it with what has come in the years that have followed, 'Let Me Go' does sound that much more appealing, if not truly convincing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-19 19:57 by Edward Twining.

Posted by: hypnohighball ()
Date: June 19, 2012 22:31

Gazza
uhbuhgullayew
Always liked this tune and it is one of the very few where I prefer the live version.

I'm the opposite.

I think the studio version swings absolutely beautifully. Very underrated song and a really fine lead vocal too. One of the best two or three songs on the entire album.

Was very disappointed when I heard the way they tunelessly thrashed their way through it (and 'She's So Cold') on the 81-82 tour. The live versions do neither of the songs any justice at all.

What he said.

Date: June 21, 2012 17:33

Edward Twining
'Let Me Go' is a very mediocre Stones track in my opinion. True, Jagger's vocals were still pretty good at this point, where he hadn't quite lost his sense of perspective, which would happen towards the mid eighties. The Stones were still young enough and vital enough in terms of potential, but somewhere along the line their inspiration had started to wane considerably. 'Emotional Rescue' the title track was an inspiring departure, but 'Let Me Go' reminds me of the tracks on IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL where the Stones were just going through the motions of sounding like their former selves but with none of their former inspiration! 'Let Me Go' is one of the Stones most hollow sounding numbers up to that point. However, comparing it with what has come in the years that have followed, 'Let Me Go' does sound that much more appealing, if not truly convincing.

I comment a bit to Edward's point here since it made wonder that there is something I can not agree with. I am not that happy with the comparison to IT's ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL because I know that connotation but can't really put "Let Me Go" referring there. I think The 'Pathe Marconi' Stones did not get there until UNDERCOVER which, I think, is a sort of IT'S ONLY ROCK'N*ROLL to Woodie's (Pathe Marconi) era and sounding "like their former selves but with none of their former inspiration".

By contrast. I think "Let me Go" is a cousin to "Hand of Fate" or "Crazy Mama" in BLACK&BLUE: sounding in that context like 'safe home ground', enough familiar in the middle of more experimental or challenging stuff. I can't think there 'by numbers' effect there, but more like: "let's play old time stuff for a change, and see how it goes". In each case the band sound very relaxed, and kind of self-secure of their own sound, and I think all the numbers I mentioned are good efforts. The point is: the bulk of the albums was not based on this kind of 'familiar' material, but they were like expections (this was not the case with their latter day albums). That's why I think they actually sound inspired.

I make another comparison, and I am sure quite many of you might send me to madhouse now... I think the band is so red and hot in EMOTIONAL RESCUE that there is only one album in their history which can be compared to it in this sense: EXILE ON MAIN STREET. I think EMOTIONAL RESCUE is to SOME GIRLS what EXILE is to STICKY FINGERS. Both STICKY FINGERS and SOME GIRLS were albums with which the band showed its current competence; they were strong and succesful efforts in showing their new rivals that they are very much in the game in the rules of the day. But both EXILE and EMOTIONAL RESCUE are more relaxed; they don't need to show anymore their competence, or dying to sound current, but just trust to their own instincts. Both albums lack the awesome songs and hits, but just rely on their own sound (of course, EXILE has way better songs than ER but that's not the point; there is no "Brown Sugar" or "Wild Horses" there, like there is no "Miss You" or "Beast of Burden" in ER.) But it is the band that smokes, and that's the whole secret. I think "Let Me Go" is a very great example of the incredible groove the band had at the time. Unfortunately the song-writing was not so strong over-all to make EMOTIONAL RESCUE a masterpiece (and it is probably the first Stones album that lacks a profilic song - no way any "Emotional Rescue" is that even though it was a rather inspired experiment).

- Doxa

Date: June 21, 2012 17:52

Edward Twining

To me, the song has that lazy, wasted, who-gives-a-the-@#$%& vibe of the whole period. Mick sounds like he's just going though the motions but that's the point - like "Think Im Going Mad", the title track, "Send It To Me".....there is a sense of romantic resignation in all these songs and "Let Me Go" captures it perfectly. Like he's hopeless and tired.

Date: June 21, 2012 17:53

mandrax1972
real nice guitar solo on the studio version

Yes, I forgot to mention that - this is one of my favorite Stones solos....lazy, loosey....

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 21, 2012 18:10

B-side material, a filler. A good live song though since it's easy to learn and very straightforward. You can't go wrong with it.

Date: June 21, 2012 20:37

Doxa
Edward Twining

I comment a bit to Edward's point here since it made wonder that there is something I can not agree with. I am not that happy with the comparison to IT's ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL because I know that connotation but can't really put "Let Me Go" referring there. I think The 'Pathe Marconi' Stones did not get there until UNDERCOVER which, I think, is a sort of IT'S ONLY ROCK'N*ROLL to Woodie's (Pathe Marconi) era and sounding "like their former selves but with none of their former inspiration".

By contrast. I think "Let me Go" is a cousin to "Hand of Fate" or "Crazy Mama" in BLACK&BLUE: sounding in that context like 'safe home ground', enough familiar in the middle of more experimental or challenging stuff. I can't think there 'by numbers' effect there, but more like: "let's play old time stuff for a change, and see how it goes". In each case the band sound very relaxed, and kind of self-secure of their own sound, and I think all the numbers I mentioned are good efforts. The point is: the bulk of the albums was not based on this kind of 'familiar' material, but they were like expections (this was not the case with their latter day albums). That's why I think they actually sound inspired.

I make another comparison, and I am sure quite many of you might send me to madhouse now... I think the band is so red and hot in EMOTIONAL RESCUE that there is only one album in their history which can be compared to it in this sense: EXILE ON MAIN STREET. I think EMOTIONAL RESCUE is to SOME GIRLS what EXILE is to STICKY FINGERS. Both STICKY FINGERS and SOME GIRLS were albums with which the band showed its current competence; they were strong and succesful efforts in showing their new rivals that they are very much in the game in the rules of the day. But both EXILE and EMOTIONAL RESCUE are more relaxed; they don't need to show anymore their competence, or dying to sound current, but just trust to their own instincts. Both albums lack the awesome songs and hits, but just rely on their own sound (of course, EXILE has way better songs than ER but that's not the point; there is no "Brown Sugar" or "Wild Horses" there, like there is no "Miss You" or "Beast of Burden" in ER.) But it is the band that smokes, and that's the whole secret. I think "Let Me Go" is a very great example of the incredible groove the band had at the time. Unfortunately the song-writing was not so strong over-all to make EMOTIONAL RESCUE a masterpiece (and it is probably the first Stones album that lacks a profilic song - no way any "Emotional Rescue" is that even though it was a rather inspired experiment).

- Doxa

On ER, the band is almost too relaxed. It works on Let Me Go and on ~ half the album. But Summer Romance and Where The Boys Go are not relaxed - just unlistenable and boring - so relaxed that there is no effort to create a song. The band is "warm" for sure but compare these fillers to Jiving Sister Fanny or I'm Going Down or "Travelin man" or any of the others songs from the Sticky/Exile era that never made it to those records. For me, THAT was a hot band that could afford to relax. They had such great material that they had the luxury to leave these out.

Emotional Rescue, the album, is not an inspired experiment. Some people hear it as "relaxed"; I hear a lazy band going through the motions of having to put out an album. A band that is not so good anymore to relax. When ER works, at best, it is a pleasant distraction. Undercover - the album and the song, was the inspired experiment. It is musical, it is adventurous. It is complete. The first complete album since Exile. The band is working hard. Jagger is making an effort to create a new arc for the band. Undercover is focused - the first focused album since Beggars Banquet. Undercover is to Some Girls what Exile was to Sticky Fingers. If the eternal theme of art is that every great artist has to have an unrecognized masterpiece, then that honor belongs to Undercover. It seems to have suffered the opposite fate of Exile. UC was well received at first but now gets lumped with the 80’s era – a not so “fashionable” position anymore. At least for me, it is a latter day musical peak.

Date: June 21, 2012 20:38

stupidguy2
Edward Twining

To me, the song has that lazy, wasted, who-gives-a-the-@#$%& vibe of the whole period. Mick sounds like he's just going though the motions but that's the point - like "Think Im Going Mad", the title track, "Send It To Me".....there is a sense of romantic resignation in all these songs and "Let Me Go" captures it perfectly. Like he's hopeless and tired.

Well said stupidgy2

Date: June 22, 2012 00:39

wanderingspirit66
Doxa
Edward Twining

- Doxa

On ER, the band is almost too relaxed. It works on Let Me Go and on ~ half the album. But Summer Romance and Where The Boys Go are not relaxed - just unlistenable and boring - so relaxed that there is no effort to create a song. The band is "warm" for sure but compare these fillers to Jiving Sister Fanny or I'm Going Down or "Travelin man" or any of the others songs from the Sticky/Exile era that never made it to those records. For me, THAT was a hot band that could afford to relax. They had such great material that they had the luxury to leave these out.

Emotional Rescue, the album, is not an inspired experiment. Some people hear it as "relaxed"; I hear a lazy band going through the motions of having to put out an album. A band that is not so good anymore to relax. When ER works, at best, it is a pleasant distraction. Undercover - the album and the song, was the inspired experiment. It is musical, it is adventurous. It is complete. The first complete album since Exile. The band is working hard. Jagger is making an effort to create a new arc for the band. Undercover is focused - the first focused album since Beggars Banquet. Undercover is to Some Girls what Exile was to Sticky Fingers. If the eternal theme of art is that every great artist has to have an unrecognized masterpiece, then that honor belongs to Undercover. It seems to have suffered the opposite fate of Exile. UC was well received at first but now gets lumped with the 80’s era – a not so “fashionable” position anymore. At least for me, it is a latter day musical peak.

Well, to me UNDERCOVER is far from "focused" or "inspirational". If you take three over-produced songs - "Undercover of The Night", "Feel On Baby" and "Too Much Blood" - out, the rest is just mediocre demo-like songs and jams (plus nicely retro "She Was Hot"). But yeah, there are lots of people hot for this album, but I'm not. A question of taste!tongue sticking out smiley

But yeah, I remember UNDERCOVER got very good reviews and for some time it was considered rather good effort (unlike EMOTIONAL RESCUE that was doomed quite soon after its release). But I think the years have been much nicer to EMOTIONAL RESCUE than to UNDERCOVER. I don't think UNDERCOVER will get such a rehabilitation, at least personally. (But I agree with your description of ER's weaknesses - the band sounds even too relaxed sometimes, and "Where The Boys Go" is simply horrible, but I think that is the charm of that album. It is a nasty, arrogant, damn Stonesy album. To me that's more convincing than the plastic, and somehow artificial violence theme of UNDERCOVER).

- Doxa

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: June 22, 2012 09:51

Doxa

- Doxa

I think, Doxa, that ultimately EMOTIONAL RESCUE is a halfhearted effort by the Stones for much of the time, with some nice touches here and there that point the way to perhaps what the Stones could have achieved, had they been that little more focused, and committed. There is a little mild experimentation here and there ('Emotional Rescue' the title track, for example), and a few mildly enjoyable moments (perhaps more than a few) 'Down In The Hole' 'All About You' etc, but by previous Stones standards EMOTIONAL RESCUE is LACKLUSTRE. 'Let Me Go' lacks any real depth, like almost something the Stones could have tossed off in their sleep. No, it does not have the 'forced' sound of many of those IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL tracks, but like them, it does appear to be hollow to the core. Yes, maybe it is mildly infectious, and even a tad charming, especially when viewed alongside many of the Stones later efforts, because Jagger and the band aren't doing something that may be deemed 'irritating' or maybe impalatable, yet there's nothing really to get your teeth into, either, after a few listens. The Stones sound pretty uninspired. My thoughts are that it is especially those three consecutively uninspired songs from side one of the album 'Summer Romance' - 'Send It To Me' - 'Let Me Go' that seals the album's fate in the eyes of the critics. The album does pick up a little more in the second half, but with the addition of tracks such as the inauthentically punk sounding 'Where The Boys Go', and the slight 'She's So Cold', EMOTIONAL RESCUE is never going to be considered very good by many. If there is a positive to come out of the album, it is that the Stones were very much willing to broaden their influences, and add a few fresh mixtures into their musical palate, but that's really only half the story. At the risk of sounding contradictorary, those 'fresh' mixtures, may be fresh in terms of them being new to the Stones, but they are distinctly halfhearted within their musical/written arrangement applications (maybe with the odd exception), and maybe at times the Stones were a little unwise to attempt to assimilate certain influences (Sham 69, especially). That takes the Stones to a whole new level of pretentiousness.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-22 10:02 by Edward Twining.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 22, 2012 19:09

Let me go has just EVERITHING that gives pleasure to this stones fan. I mean EVERY THING: sublime guitar work (and sound) by Ron & Keith, laid back sexy groove by Bill & Charlie rules with a wonderful heavy backbeat, Mick sings perfect, Keith harmony vocals, a taste of Bobby's sax. Its a song without time: it was good then, it is good now.

Of course it is subtle intimate beauty. It will never be the anthem of a generation. Let me go belongs to small joints (possibly gin soaked). It's only rock and roll! And that is EXACTLY why I like it!

C

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1473
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home