Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: 50 best Chess Records singles
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: April 2, 2021 17:44

I know, click bait, but there are some very cool songs on this list. I would venture that various members of the Stones and others listened to a number of these. One of the artists, Jimmy Rodgers, put out an album some years ago on which Mick and Keith performed as part of an all star band. If you're into old timey blues and r&b, some of these will be an entry into discovering other blues and r&b artists.

[www.udiscovermusic.com]

Re: OT: 50 best Chess Records singles
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 2, 2021 18:11

The words 'awesome' and 'classic' are over-used these days, but these songs certainly qualify.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 2, 2021 21:14

Harmonica Frank: ‘Howlin’ Tomcat’
Virtually forgotten today, Mississippi-born Frank Floyd was a blues, folk and hillbilly one-man band and mimic, who played traveling carnivals and medicine shows, and performed on radio. Sam Phillips recorded him in Memphis at Sun Studio in 1951, shortly before selling Floyd’s sides to Chess. This one came out in ’52.

there ya go ...although cut a Sun
good ole Harmonica Frank finally gets a mention ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: TravellinMan ()
Date: April 2, 2021 23:05

dmay
I know, click bait, but there are some very cool songs on this list. I would venture that various members of the Stones and others listened to a number of these. One of the artists, Jimmy Rodgers, put out an album some years ago on which Mick and Keith performed as part of an all star band. If you're into old timey blues and r&b, some of these will be an entry into discovering other blues and r&b artists.

[www.udiscovermusic.com]

Thanks for posting this link. Lots of great tunes. Jimmy Rodgers is a favorite. Got to see him once. Here's a link to Willie Mabon with Mick Jagger on harmonica.

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2166
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home