Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT, First Step's Faces debut anniversary
Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: March 24, 2021 13:49

I wonder what do you think about the Faces debut 51 years ago. How Ronnie Wood adapted to the band, etc. [www.dirtyrock.info]

Carlitos
Tenerife

Re: OT, First Step's Faces debut anniversary
Date: March 24, 2021 13:57

Classic album. A brilliant debut!

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: March 24, 2021 14:39

All the good things I can say about The Faces is not enough to show how much I love them.

Bye
Fernando

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: March 24, 2021 15:22

Ironically, I spun this album last night along with Long Player. A most excellent debut album to launch this band on vinyl. I strongly recommend purchasing the 2015 box set Faces 1970-1975: You Can Make Me Dance You Can Make Me Sing Or Anything where First Step is included. The CD set sounds really good and the vinyl simply superb that was remastered by Kevin Gray from original analog flat masters. The covers on the LP's are top quality thick cardboard, and even Ooh La La has the leering moving face on the cover. Also included in the box set is a a cd or LP of rarities and outtakes. All told this is the full Faces package in outstanding sound quality. To be honest when I want to play Faces records the box set is my go to on 180 gram pressings.I have multiple original copies of the five albums in good condition, but these 2015 LP's are top end. For any Faces fan this is a must have.

What a great rollicking band they were!

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: March 25, 2021 17:57

Very enjoyable album-- got it when it first came out-- always dug their version of Dylans Wicked Messenger, and Ronnies playing on 'around the Plynth"

good stuff

Date: March 25, 2021 22:08

filstan
Ironically, I spun this album last night along with Long Player. A most excellent debut album to launch this band on vinyl. I strongly recommend purchasing the 2015 box set Faces 1970-1975: You Can Make Me Dance You Can Make Me Sing Or Anything where First Step is included. The CD set sounds really good and the vinyl simply superb that was remastered by Kevin Gray from original analog flat masters. The covers on the LP's are top quality thick cardboard, and even Ooh La La has the leering moving face on the cover. Also included in the box set is a a cd or LP of rarities and outtakes. All told this is the full Faces package in outstanding sound quality. To be honest when I want to play Faces records the box set is my go to on 180 gram pressings.I have multiple original copies of the five albums in good condition, but these 2015 LP's are top end. For any Faces fan this is a must have.

Good to hear! Mac's box set also deserves a mention, imo.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 26, 2021 02:08

DandelionPowderman
filstan

You must mean the Five Guys Walk Into A Bar set. Love it, but I just wish they had licensed and included the songs that all the Faces appeared on from the Rod Stewart solo albums on Mercury. "True Blue" was recorded by Glyn Johns and was intended to be a track on a Faces album. Faces also got label credit on the single of Rod's cover of "(I Know) I'm Losing You" which is one of the band's best performances. There's a couple of other "Rod Stewart" recordings that feature the entire band and it would be nice if they could be included in a Faces anthology someday.

Date: March 26, 2021 10:55

loog droog
DandelionPowderman
filstan

You must mean the Five Guys Walk Into A Bar set. Love it, but I just wish they had licensed and included the songs that all the Faces appeared on from the Rod Stewart solo albums on Mercury. "True Blue" was recorded by Glyn Johns and was intended to be a track on a Faces album. Faces also got label credit on the single of Rod's cover of "(I Know) I'm Losing You" which is one of the band's best performances. There's a couple of other "Rod Stewart" recordings that feature the entire band and it would be nice if they could be included in a Faces anthology someday.

True, although there are some great live versions from the Rod/Faces-era on Five Guys...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 26, 2021 13:26

loog droog
DandelionPowderman
filstan

"Jodie" is another song that is Faces (I think).

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: quietbeatle ()
Date: March 26, 2021 13:38

loog droog
DandelionPowderman
filstan

Just make one. I did this in Qobuzz. I used the book and Nico's site to compile a playlist that has either the whole band and/or a few Faces on the Rod tracks

Date: March 26, 2021 18:51

Yes, Rod's early albums have Faces all over them, especially Ronnie (Wood).

Some of those listed have Mickey Waller on drums. I would take a strict, all-five-members approach to anything added to a Faces compilation. The idea is to complete their entire body of work in the studio, to get a better picture of what a great band they were.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 26, 2021 23:24

There's not many musicians been in two iconic bands of any era apart from Ronnie Wood with The Faces and The Rolling Stones.

You could say I guess, with Mick Taylor in The Bluesbreakers and The Rolling Stones, but Bluesbreakers not quite in the Premier League, although both great bands.
You could also say Paul McCartney and Wings but not quite the same.
I may be wrong about musicians in two iconic bands but stand corrected.

I would also say Ronnie is a one off ..........with being a musician any band would love to have in their lineup.

Date: March 26, 2021 23:33

crawdaddy
There's not many musicians been in two iconic bands of any era apart from Ronnie Wood with The Faces and The Rolling Stones.

Try three:

Kenney Jones-- Small Faces / Faces / The Who

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 27, 2021 00:23

Very true. thumbs up

I was just thinking off the top of my head but Kenney Jones is definately there with three iconic bands . smileys with beer

I do love listening ,in these traumatic times such good music from so many great bands on CD's and videos that I'm sure .........with The Stones and The Who and many others that really get such a buzz from playing live. smileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1898
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home