Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bill's s Back to Basics
Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: February 26, 2021 00:30

I have always had a strong interest in 'the quiet one'

But lost touch and interest during the last decade.

The cover and title of this album look good though, so will now check it out.

Before. I got to youtube - are there particular tracks worth a listen please?

Re: Bill's s Back to Basics
Date: February 26, 2021 22:16

Och well, no-one else much into bill then?

But I see from the bill website thread here that someone rates it higher than Keith's Crosseyed Heart.

And how many 78-79 year olds make solo albums these days?

That one is a rhetorical question btw.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 26, 2021 22:22

I listened to it when it was released and it did not make a great impression on me. His voice is very deep and the phrasing is slow on some # almost like Leonard Cohen's singing style ; I did not like it. I should try harder probably because Bill's music is great.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: February 26, 2021 22:38

My favorite

[/quote]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 27, 2021 01:09

emotionalbarbecue
My favorite

[/quote]

Yes, that's the cut. Better than anything Keith put out. Keith's music has sounded all the same for quite some time.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 27, 2021 18:02

A bore.

C

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: February 27, 2021 19:11

I really liked this one. But it’s been a while since I last heard it.
A couple of re-worked older songs of his like Stuff and Seventeen.
My copy is autographed, but I think it’s hard to find a copy without his signature.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: February 28, 2021 12:20

I like the album. The rework of 1974s It’s a Wonder, which is here called She’s Wonderful, is very good. I Got Time is also a great jazzy ballad. Stuff is much better on the first Rhythm Kings release. November is worth listening to.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: February 28, 2021 17:20

emotionalbarbecue
My favorite

[/quote]

This is dreadful stuff.

Date: March 1, 2021 09:22

Bastion
emotionalbarbecue
My favorite

This is dreadful stuff.[/quote]

Compare to Cross Eyed Heart?

Date: March 1, 2021 09:29

To really appreciate Bill fully, it's good to hear him outside the Stones box. I was watching my ARMS concert DVD last night. For those who haven't seen it, Charlie and Bill are part of the rhythm section for Clapton's opening segment. Bill expertly slides into whatever song style Eric plays. Bill doesn't even sound like he does with the Stones. Which makes you believe he always knew exactly what he was doing. And it's a gas to hear Charlie and Bill rock out on 'Cocaine'.

The other DVD I enjoy is 'Drinkin' TNT 'N' Smokin' Dynamite', where Bill assembles a group to back Muddy Waters at Montreaux in '74. Bill, at their request, also backs up the opening act of Junior Wells and Buddy Guy. Bill is dynamite. You get him outside the Stones and realize he could play a wide range of music, whatever he was called upon to do.

Date: March 1, 2021 09:50

24FPS
To really appreciate Bill fully, it's good to hear him outside the Stones box. I was watching my ARMS concert DVD last night. For those who haven't seen it, Charlie and Bill are part of the rhythm section for Clapton's opening segment. Bill expertly slides into whatever song style Eric plays. Bill doesn't even sound like he does with the Stones. Which makes you believe he always knew exactly what he was doing. And it's a gas to hear Charlie and Bill rock out on 'Cocaine'.

The other DVD I enjoy is 'Drinkin' TNT 'N' Smokin' Dynamite', where Bill assembles a group to back Muddy Waters at Montreaux in '74. Bill, at their request, also backs up the opening act of Junior Wells and Buddy Guy. Bill is dynamite. You get him outside the Stones and realize he could play a wide range of music, whatever he was called upon to do.

He has released some really good albums, actually. The self-titled album is my favourite. "Stuff" is so far outside the box any Stones member can go (Mick included) - he even raps on it!

But Back To Basics is too slick, lacks the good songs and is only a dim footnote in Bill's discography, imo.

If we must compare Back To Basic with Crosseyed Heart, I'd say that the latter is way better - and it's more varied than people give it credit for:

Blues (Crosseyed Heart)
Country (Robbed Blind)
Soul (Lover's Plea)
Reggae (Love Overdue)
Folk (Goodnight Irene)
Funk/rock (Substantial Damage)
Rhythm and blues (Blues In The Morning)
Rock'n'Roll (Trouble)
Ballads (Suspicious)

The production of the latter is also warmer and more organic to my ears.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-01 10:14 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: March 1, 2021 16:20

24FPS

Bill is a wonderful artist. A superb bassist, very musical. He could shine in almost any situation. Well, never heard him slapping, but what the hell ... He did put on record some truly great lines.

But all this can't save his solo work once he left the stones.

Its like reading his book Stone Alone. Accurate, very well executed, but also very boring.

His vocals are soulless. His taste for tone good for Beverly Hills Cop's soundtrack.

Sorry Bill, you remain my fav r'n'r bassist ...

And I love your photos!

C

Date: March 2, 2021 00:15

liddas
24FPS

Bill is a wonderful artist. A superb bassist, very musical. He could shine in almost any situation. Well, never heard him slapping, but what the hell ... He did put on record some truly great lines.

But all this can't save his solo work once he left the stones.

Its like reading his book Stone Alone. Accurate, very well executed, but also very boring.

His vocals are soulless. His taste for tone good for Beverly Hills Cop's soundtrack.

Sorry Bill, you remain my fav r'n'r bassist ...

And I love your photos!

C

Well, isn't it enough that he is among the pantheon of rock and blues bassists? He obviously wasn't a great singer. Keith ain't that great himself. I thought his book was great. Others always tried to sensationalize the Stones, and how drug fueled and demonic they were. Bill's view was from the inside of the car where only he and the other four had the same view.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: March 2, 2021 00:36

This is #MeToo material

Date: March 2, 2021 02:11

Thank you all very much while I've been away!

Late near - will take time to read. - and comment.

That last reference (Si Si .....)

the most successful solo Stones' single? ( not that great imo - but quirky, with character. Broad appeal, hence success)

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 2, 2021 08:25

Four Stone Walls

the most successful solo Stones' single? ( not that great imo - but quirky, with character. Broad appeal, hence success)

Definitely the most successful Stones solo single, and I've always assumed that it Pissed Mick off mightily!

(It was originally intended for Ian Dury and The Blockheads).

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: March 2, 2021 08:29

CaptainCorella
Four Stone Walls

Definitely the most successful Stones solo single, and I've always assumed that it Pissed Mick off mightily!

I don't remember it being heard at all in the States. I heard for years he had a hit single, and I wondered when? It was years before I heard it. Definitely quirky, and one hit wonderish, and quite catchy.

Date: March 2, 2021 13:24

24FPS

Well, isn't it enough that he is among the pantheon of rock and blues bassists? He obviously wasn't a great singer. Keith ain't that great himself. I thought his book was great. Others always tried to sensationalize the Stones, and how drug fueled and demonic they were. Bill's view was from the inside of the car where only he and the other four had the same view.

Sorry, as much as I love his playing, just can't get through his post-stones solo stuff - But that is me!

What you say on his "view-inside-the-car" is what I think makes his his photography so special.

But his writing is - if possible - even less exciting than his singing!

C

Date: March 2, 2021 21:27

liddas
24FPS

Sorry, as much as I love his playing, just can't get through his post-stones solo stuff - But that is me!

What you say on his "view-inside-the-car" is what I think makes his his photography so special.

But his writing is - if possible - even less exciting than his singing!

C

And Keith's croaking on Cross Eyed Heart is 'exciting'?

Date: March 2, 2021 23:24

Have just finished first listen to What and How and If and W hen and Why.
To comment on this anon.

But far more interesting for Now ....

At the end of that you tube clip appeared another

Bill Wyman - Rápido Television Interview. (Bill in anorange top) outside. his house in south of France circa '92.

Very long and VERY interesting comments on people in Stones and Stones generally.

Would post the link here but can't on this tablet.

Maybe someone else can.
SO worth watching.
Some cool guy ( in spite of singing voice!)

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 2, 2021 23:28

CaptainCorella
Four Stone Walls

How do you make the leap to assume this would have pissed of Mick, in any way whatsoever?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 2, 2021 23:33

emotionalbarbecue
My favorite

[/quote]

It's not bad. Bill's vocals are pretty awful. At least when he sings low key it hides that, so he can pull it off, i.e. like in this song, and especially on What A Blow, from his 1st solo lp.

And not forgetting, In Another Land!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-02 23:34 by LeonidP.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: March 3, 2021 08:56

If you wanna go BACK TO BASIC, go to MONKEY GRIP. That's a great one!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 3, 2021 13:29

24FPS
CaptainCorella
Four Stone Walls

I don't remember it being heard at all in the States. I heard for years he had a hit single, and I wondered when? It was years before I heard it. Definitely quirky, and one hit wonderish, and quite catchy.

No wonder you didn't heard it at the time, since "Je Suis Un Rock Star" didn't chart at all in Billboard. The only Bill Wyman solo single has done it is "In Another Land" (#87) - yep, that was officially credited to him back in 1967!

The idea of "Si Si" being "the most successful solo single" - something Bill himself has been vocal about - needs some qualifications: yeah, in UK it is, peaking #14 in 1981. According to Wiki, it also hitted #5 in Australia (Rockman supposedly bought many copiesgrinning smiley) and #6 in New Zealand. Mick's best charting UK single "Sweet Thing" peaked at #24 (if we leave the colloborations out, like the number one with Bowie). "Just Another Night" only made #32 in UK charts (and #13 in Australia, #8 in New Zealand plus #4 in Holland). However, it made #12 in Billboard HOT 100 - which I guess alone would make it the most successful solo single by a Rolling Stone.

Bill had another TOP FORTY single in UK too: "A New Fashion" peaked at #37 in 1982. Bill's success in Down Under continued as well. "Come Back Suzanne" made #12 in 1982 in Australian charts.

But thinking of those early 80's Wyman solo singles - it is noteworthy that he actually and convincingly (in commercialwise) stepped completely out of Stones blues-based box and made very contemporary-sounding, new wave kind of synth pop stuff. One would even argue that that was the last time a Rolling Stone was able to adapt to the times. Mick's stuff during he 80's, no matter how much he flirted with the trends, was mostly compromised with a pretty traditional Stones stuff. In Jaggerian vocabulary, Bill was much more 'experimental'.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-03 13:33 by Doxa.

Date: March 3, 2021 13:46

<One would even argue that that was the last time a Rolling Stone was able to adapt to the times>

Check out "Stuff" from the early 90s. That's probably the last time, imo smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 3, 2021 13:53

DandelionPowderman

Check out "Stuff" from the early 90s. That's probably the last time, imo smiling smiley

Yeah, I need to do that. Never heard that.

- Doxa

Date: March 3, 2021 13:56

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Yeah, I need to do that. Never heard that.

- Doxa

Originally released only in Japan and Argentia, for some reason.

Date: March 4, 2021 15:15

In spite of being Bill officionado -yes, Monkey Grip is still my favourite solo Stones album - I really did not like Stuff.

A free copy came with the album it came off. Played it once. REALLY annoyed me!
Played that R Kings album once too. Boring. Threw both away!

I'll start another Bill thread sometime ..... a positive one too .....

but getting back to fundamentals here ......

Yes that 2015 single is quite good, despite it being spoken! - because the lyrics alone are so good - did he actually write it.

Have just found my copy of Crosseyed Heart.

Both those 2015 ' Stone's alguma are grey/ black and white, with a touch of red thrown in. Nice hit of telepathic soul- brother ( or stone- brother) stuff going on there

Date: March 4, 2021 15:17

Oh, and that 1991 Wyman interview is really worth posting - for Stones fans - cos of all the Stones anecdotes and his infide info on workings of that band ( in his time there).

Cheers.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1767
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home