Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Jagger narrates film to mark Royal Albert Hall anniversary
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: February 23, 2021 06:45

Excuse me if this has been posted already.

[www.theguardian.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-23 06:46 by Sighunt.

Re: Mick Jagger narrates film to mark Royal Albert Hall anniversary
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 23, 2021 07:49

Not mentioned in the article, but perhaps omitted by the reviewer, was Eric Clapton.

Given that for Eric, the RAH is a special/Home venue that for many years he booked for a month of nights each year, missing him out of the film would be dreadful!

I doubt if many living lead artists have performed there more times than Eric! (Exclude members of some London based orchestras - that's why I wrote "lead artists")

(By jove, even *I* have actually performed there - yes, really!! And, separately, my partner as well.)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 23, 2021 07:54

From WH Auden’s poem For Friends Only as read by Mick in the film:

Distance and duties divide us,
But absence will not seem an evil
If it make our re-meeting
A real occasion. Come when you can:
Your room will be ready

Sounds like it could be a hint and precursor for the possibility of Stones playing there for the 60th Anniversary.

Didn't see it mentioned in article, but wondering when and where we can see this film....

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 23, 2021 07:55

Did the Stones play there any other time besides 1966? Of course that footage was filmed for Have You Seen Your Mother video.

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: February 23, 2021 10:47

There is a large "organising committee" for the 150th anniversary - Stones manager Joyce Smyth is a member.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: February 23, 2021 10:51

CaptainCorella
Not mentioned in the article, but perhaps omitted by the reviewer, was Eric Clapton.

Given that for Eric, the RAH is a special/Home venue that for many years he booked for a month of nights each year, missing him out of the film would be dreadful!

I doubt if many living lead artists have performed there more times than Eric! (Exclude members of some London based orchestras - that's why I wrote "lead artists")

(By jove, even *I* have actually performed there - yes, really!! And, separately, my partner as well.)

Yes, I remember seeing you perform there! 1983, Death of a Salesman, if I remember correctly.

smiling smiley

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 23, 2021 11:10

ChrisL
CaptainCorella

Yes, I remember seeing you perform there! 1983, Death of a Salesman, if I remember correctly.

smiling smiley

Nope, that was the other Captain. Darned name collision again!

My performance was in my school choir at a live performance broadcast on the BBC of one of Mahler's works.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: February 23, 2021 11:26

CaptainCorella
ChrisL
CaptainCorella

smiling smiley

Nope, that was the other Captain. Darned name collision again!

My performance was in my school choir at a live performance broadcast on the BBC of one of Mahler's works.

That's it! And it was a fantastic performance!

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: February 23, 2021 11:31

The video

[fb.watch]

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 23, 2021 11:51

I wonder if the asked Bob Dylan (before they found out that his legendary 'Royal Albert Hall' show in 1966 ('Judas') actually took place in Manchester)

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: February 23, 2021 12:08

I like the movie One Plus One as much as I liked this little clip.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: February 23, 2021 13:50

Nice.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 23, 2021 15:09

Hairball
From WH Auden’s poem For Friends Only as read by Mick in the film:

Distance and duties divide us,
But absence will not seem an evil
If it make our re-meeting
A real occasion. Come when you can:
Your room will be ready

Sounds like it could be a hint and precursor for the possibility of Stones playing there for the 60th Anniversary.

Didn't see it mentioned in article, but wondering when and where we can see this film....

My thoughts entirely .............

But dear o dear, Mick's narration !? Not even as a second job (or a third, or a fourth) ! Absolutely dreadful in my humble opinion ! Stick with the "day job" Sir Mick, you're far far far better at that malarkey ! grinning smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-23 15:09 by paulywaul.

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: February 23, 2021 15:29

Have to agree with you paulywaul re Mick’s narrative, never really works for me when he tries to talk posh. Once a Dartford boy, always a Dartford boy, I say

Here’s a bit more, of the ‘near riot’, when fans rushed the stage at The Royal Albert Hall, September 1966.

[www.royalalberthall.com]

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: February 23, 2021 16:13

that’s awesome, thanks for posting.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: February 23, 2021 16:44

Made me cry.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 23, 2021 18:24

Lien
The video

[fb.watch]

Thank you, Lien!

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: February 23, 2021 18:45

Cristiano Radtke
Lien
The video

[fb.watch]

Thank you, Lien!

Youtube link

[youtu.be]

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 23, 2021 19:08

Over the last few years when the topic of conversation on IORR has been, 'When and where will the last gigs of the last Tour be held ', a lot of fans had agreed it will be London.
I think the same way and have always said Royal Albert Hall, and probably up to half a dozen gigs maybe spread over two weeks or more.

This thread has made me believe it even more, but I don't think anyone knows when it will be .
Charlie is getting very close to 80 years old and once this pandemic has really eased up a lot more all over the world, things will be a lot clearer I'm sure.smileys with beer

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: February 23, 2021 20:18

The stones could sell out a month of shows at that venue.

Nate

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 23, 2021 20:31

Nate
The stones could sell out a month of shows at that venue.

Nate

Would definitely miss the family, but a fan's gotta do what a fans gotta do... winking smiley

Date: February 23, 2021 22:20

Weren’t the Stones banned for life after their last gig there?

Date: February 24, 2021 03:52

crawdaddy
Over the last few years when the topic of conversation on IORR has been, 'When and where will the last gigs of the last Tour be held ', a lot of fans had agreed it will be London.
I think the same way and have always said Royal Albert Hall, and probably up to half a dozen gigs maybe spread over two weeks or more.

This thread has made me believe it even more, but I don't think anyone knows when it will be .
Charlie is getting very close to 80 years old and once this pandemic has really eased up a lot more all over the world, things will be a lot clearer I'm sure.smileys with beer

Provided the pandemic is eradicated, and If the Stones are still healthy enough to put in more shows at that point, I could see them closing out their performing days with a nice run of shows at the Royal Albert Hall.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 24, 2021 09:53

Sighunt
crawdaddy

Provided the pandemic is eradicated, and If the Stones are still healthy enough to put in more shows at that point, I could see them closing out their performing days with a nice run of shows at the Royal Albert Hall.

The British Government is hoping the U.K. will be up-and-running by the summer time. Whether that’s optimistic, I don’t know. Covid will never be eradicated, so it’s just a question of living alongside it and vaccinating. The Stones will be onstage sooner than we realise, I hope.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 24, 2021 11:40

Big Al
Sighunt
crawdaddy

The British Government is hoping the U.K. will be up-and-running by the summer time. Whether that’s optimistic, I don’t know. Covid will never be eradicated, so it’s just a question of living alongside it and vaccinating. The Stones will be onstage sooner than we realise, I hope.

The British government has been doing a s**tload of hoping of one sort or another ever since this c**p started, and a lot of those hopes have been dashed for one reason or another. The only hope(s) I personally have now are that (a) those idiot delinquents who (lets not forget this rather important bit) "live amongst us all" who do not intend to take the vaccine shot even if/when offered it actually come to terms with their own stupidity, relent, & subsequently do take it, and (b) the government dispenses with any further lockdowns and adopts the attitude that as a country - the UK must "learn to live with" COVID-19.

If both of those hopes of mine are to some reasonable extent realised over the forthcoming few months and/or by the end of the year, then from my point of view - things would be moving in the right direction.

Quite where we are with the live music industry being back in business, I wouldn't care to guess. I think a lot of things have to fall very much into place before the government is going to feel brave enough to permit the industry to come back to life, and most certainly in the way that it used to be. We have a long way to go yet I fear .........

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: February 24, 2021 13:36

paulywaul
Big Al
Sighunt
crawdaddy

The British government has been doing a s**tload of hoping of one sort or another ever since this c**p started, and a lot of those hopes have been dashed for one reason or another. The only hope(s) I personally have now are that (a) those idiot delinquents who (lets not forget this rather important bit) "live amongst us all" who do not intend to take the vaccine shot even if/when offered it actually come to terms with their own stupidity, relent, & subsequently do take it, and (b) the government dispenses with any further lockdowns and adopts the attitude that as a country - the UK must "learn to live with" COVID-19.

If both of those hopes of mine are to some reasonable extent realised over the forthcoming few months and/or by the end of the year, then from my point of view - things would be moving in the right direction.

Quite where we are with the live music industry being back in business, I wouldn't care to guess. I think a lot of things have to fall very much into place before the government is going to feel brave enough to permit the industry to come back to life, and most certainly in the way that it used to be. We have a long way to go yet I fear .........

This industry insider strongly agrees.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Live music 'at the back of the queue to reopen'

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: February 24, 2021 13:47

paulywaul
Big Al
Sighunt
crawdaddy

I agree, Paulywaul. Boris Johnson doesn't have a good track record for making predictions and stating that everything will be back to normal by June 21st may be yet another statement which will come back to haunt him.

The live music industry is in total disarray and will be a nightmare to resolve - let's face it, no two venues are the same and all have different risks. Having spent the last year trying to adapt to safe working practices in a simple workplace, I can't begin to imagine the hurdles involved in trying to get live music back into our lives. And the Stones certainly won't be guinea pigs in piloting new "safe" concert experiences. We do seem to be moving in the right direction, but no way will things be back to old normal by the summer.

On the other hand, venues like the Albert Hall could lend themselves well to seated socially distanced concert experiences if that floats yer boat. Imagine the ticket prices!

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: February 24, 2021 14:41

Thank you Lien.

What a wonderful video; such a special venue too.

Date: February 24, 2021 16:25

Big Al
Sighunt
crawdaddy

In retrospect, I probably should have phrased my thoughts as "provided the pandemic is under control" rather than use the term "eradicated". I do agree with you at least for the foreseeable future, we most likely will be living alongside of this pandemic, taking necessary precautions like vaccinating, social distancing, and wearing masks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-24 17:06 by Sighunt.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 26, 2021 18:40

150 years in 15 events: the Rolling Stones, 1966
The Stones performed at the Hall on four occasions, including one of only two times they shared a bill with the Beatles in 1963. But we wanted to shine a light on their final appearance in 1966, which culminated in a stage invasion and riot. More on that later, but first…
TONITE LET’S ALL MAKE LOVE IN LONDON

The scenes were also later edited into the promo for the Stones’ single Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadow?

That significant gig would probably have only lived on in the hazy memories of those present had it not been captured by counterculture filmmaker Peter Whitehead at the time to appear in his 1967 film Tonite Let’s All Make Love in London. This disjointed Swinging London documentary, subtitled “A Pop Concerto,” comprises a number of different “movements,” each depicting a different theme underscored by music.

YOU MENTIONED A RIOT, WHAT HAPPENED?
The British fans of the greatest rock’n‘roll band in the world, most of whom were teenagers who skipped school to see their favourite rebels, had been awaiting the return of their heroes from the US for almost a year. So when the Stones launched their 23-date tour of Britain at the Hall on 23 September 1966, the excitement was at an all-time high.

But there are many more reasons why this particular Royal Albert Hall show would go down in history as one of their most explosive.

Top of the bill at the Hall for the first time, the group introduced their fans to the Ike & Tina Turner Revue, whose sensational opening performance, and especially Tina Turner’s raw energy, left quite the impression on the thousands of youngsters gathered in the auditorium that day. The first half of the show also featured The Yardbirds with Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page as lead guitarists and Peter Jay and The New Jaywalkers.
After a first half like that, the room was appropriately buzzing with excitement for the main act, and that’s probably why the witness accounts of how the mini-riot started differ slightly but, whatever song the Stones opened their set with, the whole thing was soon halted by dozens (or hundreds, depending on who you ask) of frenzied fans pushing past the ushers and clambering on stage to grab a handful of skin, hair, clothes, or whatever they could, of their heroes
Managers, agents and PRs rushed from their front-row seats to assist the security guards, who were perhaps more accustomed to sedate chamber music recitals and easily overwhelmed by the relentless volley of teenage bodies hurtling past them.

“Keith Richard was knocked to the ground, Mick was almost strangled, while Brian Jones and Bill Wyman took to their heels, followed closely by dozens of determined fans. Charlie Watts sat quietly behind his drums watching the scene,” reported Norrie Drummond, who was reviewing “the pop world’s social event of the year” for the New Musical Express at the time.

But the New Musical Express reporter wasn’t entirely accurate, however, in his observation about Brian Jones’s haste to leave the stage. On the contrary, one of the most striking images of Peter Whitehead’s film is the sight of the dandified lead guitarist hugging his knees and laughing like a mad prince, revelling in the chaos and destruction around him.

The announcement came that unless everyone returned to their seats the show would be cancelled, which seemed to calm down the fans enough so that the gig could continue.
Not that things got more sedate from that point. The Stones’ producer and manager Andrew Loog Oldham originally planned to record the Royal Albert Hall gig as a live album to capitalise on their popularity in the US market, which was heightened in 1966 by a notoriously successful North American concert tour supporting their hit album Aftermath. However, discouraged by the fan hysteria accompanying the band in concert at the time, and the deafening sound levels of their explosive appearance on our stage, Andrew Loog Oldham abandoned his original idea and instead selected ten concert recordings from other sources alongside two older studio tracks, which were overdubbed with crowd noise to give the impression of an entirely live album. Fun fact: all the tracks were still credited to the Royal Albert Hall performance in the liner notes of the original LP. Bit cheeky if you ask us.

[www.royalalberthall.com]

This wasn’t the first time that Peter Whitehead turned his 16mm hand-held camera and his brilliant eye for detail to a riot at a Stones concert. In September 1965 he had accompanied the group on a trip to Ireland to make what became the first Rolling Stones documentary, Charlie Is My Darling, which remained unreleased until 2012, but that you can now watch on YouTube below

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2023
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home