Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: 'Fiji Jim', 'I need you', 'Misty Roads' and others
Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 9, 2014 03:02

Gangster's Moll is rewritten and became No Spare Parts on the deluxe SG. It's rather easy to hear.

However, I prefer the original Gangster's Moll

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 9, 2014 04:16

KRiffhard
It's time to publish all this good stuff!

1. Not the way to go
2. Dancing Girl
3. Separately
4. It's all wrong
5. Fast Talking Slow Walking
6. I need you
7. Misty Roads
8. Fiji Jim
9. She never listen to me
10. Chainsaw Rocker
11. What gives you the right?
12. You got it made
13. Lonely at the top
14. Living in the heart of love
15. Save Me
16. Randy Whore
17. Gangster Moll
18. Jah is not dead
19. Guess i should know
20. It's cold down there
21. High or Low
22. Smooth 180
23. What Am I Going To Do (With Your Love)
24. Ever-changing world
25. Dont Apologize
26. Young Love
27. Feeling now
28. Travellin' man

Some of these songs have never even circulated. How do you know they're 'good' ?

Most of them were far from finished. To give some of them an official release if the circulating versions are the best take they have would make the Stones a laughing stock. No active band on the planet would officially sanction the release of a rough demo with out of tune, off-mike singing with no discernable lyrics - and the so-called greatest rock n roll band in the world certainly shouldnt.

That sort of stuff should stay on bootlegs. Great bands should have high standards.

Edit - sorry. Didnt realise this was a resurrected old thread. Same conversation all over again!! :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-09 04:18 by Gazza.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 9, 2014 13:59

MadMax
Gangster's Moll is rewritten and became No Spare Parts on the deluxe SG. It's rather easy to hear.

smileys with beer
Agreed !! Jeroen

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 9, 2014 14:07

What ?! "No Spare Parts" and "Gangster's Moll" are completely different songs, NSP was written for SG and GM for ER...although it could be argued that like (most) Stones songs they sound "similar".

The latest known variation of "Gangster's Moll" is the version with Jeff Beck from 1987 and unfortunately it doesn't sound as good as the original ER version, the bridge in particular is very "corny". There are rumors that it was resurrected for the SW sessions in 1989 but it only circulates among "private collectors" and it might well be that Jeff Beck version from 1987 after all.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: April 9, 2014 14:45

NSP was named NSP in 1978 already. GM is a different song.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 9, 2014 17:39

I have the same 'problem' with Breakin' and How i Wish!!

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 9, 2014 19:41

wouldnt mind them brushing up

blood red wine

for a release.

also cant for one minute think the stones would release all those previously unreleased songs on the one album, that would be too easy for us to attain all those songs on the cheap.

rather they would rerelease more and more compilation albums of the same old stuff and add on one or two rare songs on each album.

and they would sell.

Date: January 16, 2020 21:17

Fiji Jim
[youtu.be]

Cookin' Up
[youtu.be]

Misty Roads
[youtu.be]

Not the way to go
[youtu.be]

She never listen to me
[youtu.be]

I need you
[youtu.be]

For your preciuos love
[youtu.be]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-17 10:39 by KRiffhard.

Date: January 17, 2020 02:13

MadMax

Really? If that is what you hear I can't argue with that, but I don't see that at all.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 17, 2020 03:11

kind of raw...not a lot there for them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-17 03:12 by Rip This.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 17, 2020 03:15

Rip This

What? Hell no! Not The Way To Go, Misty Roads, I Need You - and a plethora of others, just need to be mixed! Sure they're not finished - so what.

Hello?

Next thing you'll tell me is, It's The Beatles. The Stones can't do that.

Date: January 17, 2020 09:34

GasLightStreet
Rip This

What? Hell no! Not The Way To Go, Misty Roads, I Need You - and a plethora of others, just need to be mixed! Sure they're not finished - so what.

Hello?

Next thing you'll tell me is, It's The Beatles. The Stones can't do that.

thumbs up
They have enough good stuff to make other albums like "Tatoo You"!

Date: January 17, 2020 14:55

KRiffhard

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

That has to be an early version of what became How I Wish - they are practically the same.

Date: January 17, 2020 15:34

GasLightStreet
KRiffhard

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

That has to be an early version of what became How I Wish - they are practically the same.

I'm not so sure

Date: January 17, 2020 15:39

KRiffhard
GasLightStreet
KRiffhard

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

I'm not so sure

It's in the same key, has the same chords, very similar progression. Can you not hear that? It's extremely obvious. That's not uncommon for an artist to do one song and it becomes another.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: January 17, 2020 16:09

...I like very much "Everlasting is my love" ...several versions.....

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 17, 2020 16:14

GasLightStreet
It's in the same key, has the same chords, very similar progression. Can you not hear that? It's extremely obvious. That's not uncommon for an artist to do one song and it becomes another.

I'll join you in supporting this if you get on board with "No Spare Parts" and "Gangster's Moll" being the same song.

I'll go one better and put "One More Shot" in the crosshairs and call out the horns on Keith's "You Win Again" with the horns on Keith's "Lover's Plea" and the 2 to 4 on "Trouble" is the same as the one in "Eileen."

Date: January 17, 2020 17:34

Rocky Dijon
GasLightStreet

I'll join you in supporting this if you get on board with "No Spare Parts" and "Gangster's Moll" being the same song.

I'll go one better and put "One More Shot" in the crosshairs and call out the horns on Keith's "You Win Again" with the horns on Keith's "Lover's Plea" and the 2 to 4 on "Trouble" is the same as the one in "Eileen."

Hey, come on now, don't get so up about me not thinking something sounds like something you think something sounds like when it doesn't sound like something you think it sounds like. This ain't no stupid Mick Jagger imitating Kenny Loggins shit, this is serious shit!

Oh and Gangster's Moll sounds nothing like No Spare Parts.

Yep - no Christmas cards for me again this year. Which is too bad, I do enjoy burning them.

Date: January 17, 2020 17:55

GasLightStreet
KRiffhard
GasLightStreet
KRiffhard

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

I'm not so sure

Sorry, but i don't find it so similar...but, if you want, "Wicked as it seems" is the early version of "Love is Strong"!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-17 17:56 by KRiffhard.

Date: January 18, 2020 03:16

KRiffhard
GasLightStreet
KRiffhard
GasLightStreet
KRiffhard

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

I'm not so sure

Sorry, but i don't find it so similar...but, if you want, "Wicked as it seems" is the early version of "Love is Strong"!!!

Somehow you are unable to understand something. If you can get where Love Is Strong comes from, which is obvious, you should be able to get where How I Wish comes from, which is obvious - they're the same difference.

Date: January 18, 2020 09:27

GasLightStreet
KRiffhard
GasLightStreet
KRiffhard
GasLightStreet
KRiffhard

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

I'm not so sure

Somehow you are unable to understand something. If you can get where Love Is Strong comes from, which is obvious, you should be able to get where How I Wish comes from, which is obvious - they're the same difference.

In my opinion "Breakin" is not an early version of "How i wish" and they are not 'practically the same'. Only Keef and Steve Jordan know the truth!!! smiling bouncing smiley

Date: January 18, 2020 09:39

KRiffhard
GasLightStreet
KRiffhard
GasLightStreet
KRiffhard
GasLightStreet
KRiffhard

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

I'm not so sure

In my opinion "Breakin" is not an early version of "How i wish" and they are not 'practically the same'. Only Keef and Steve Jordan know the truth!!! smiling bouncing smiley

Your opinion makes no sense - Breakin' became How I Wish. It's beyond obvious.

Date: January 18, 2020 10:14

GasLightStreet
KRiffhard
GasLightStreet
KRiffhard
GasLightStreet
KRiffhard
GasLightStreet
KRiffhard

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

I'm not so sure

I think you should respect other opinions, until Keef (or Steve) says "Breakin" has become "How i wish". Every opinion makes sense and nothing is so obvious when there is no absolute certainty.

Date: January 19, 2020 02:17

KRiffhard
GasLightStreet
KRiffhard
GasLightStreet
KRiffhard
GasLightStreet
KRiffhard
GasLightStreet
KRiffhard

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

I'm not so sure

I think you should respect other opinions, until Keef (or Steve) says "Breakin" has become "How i wish". Every opinion makes sense and nothing is so obvious when there is no absolute certainty.

Well, LOL, I'm absolutely certain. You know, opinions can be wrong, and musically they are practically the same.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: January 19, 2020 02:24

Only Misty Roads and Not the way to go is good enough on this list,rest is so so

Date: January 19, 2020 03:49

harlem shuffle
Only Misty Roads and Not the way to go is good enough on this list,rest is so so

Date: January 19, 2020 08:47

harlem shuffle

1. Not the way to go
2. Dancing Girl
3. Separately
4. It's all wrong
5. Fast Talking Slow Walking
6. I need you
7. Misty Roads
8. Fiji Jim
9. She never listen to me
10. Chainsaw Rocker
11. What gives you the right?
12. You got it made
13. Lonely at the top
14. Living in the heart of love
15. Save Me
16. Randy Whore
17. Gangster Moll
18. Jah is not dead
19. Guess i should know
20. It's cold down there
21. High or Low
22. Smooth 180
23. What Am I Going To Do (With Your Love)
24. Ever-changing world
25. Dont Apologize
26. Young Love
27. Feeling now
28. Travellin' man
29. Eliza Upchink
30. Cookin' Up
31. Victor Hugo
32. I think i'm going mad
33. High School Girl
34. Keep It Cool
35. It's a lie
36. Honest Man

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 19, 2020 12:27

GasLightStreet
KRiffhard
GasLightStreet
KRiffhard
GasLightStreet
KRiffhard
GasLightStreet
KRiffhard
GasLightStreet
KRiffhard

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

I'm not so sure

Well, LOL, I'm absolutely certain. You know, opinions can be wrong, and musically they are practically the same.

I very often cannot catch what other posters claim to be the case.

Now I read this exchange of posts. And listen for some moments to presented examples.

Then I wonder, if one song or a riff can be reduced somehow to be like what another song and riff can be considered to be in a reduced form, are they then necessarily the same in all respects. Or do they become different?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 19, 2020 16:13

GasLightStreet

"Street Fighting Man?"

Date: January 19, 2020 19:04

GasLightStreet
KRiffhard
GasLightStreet
KRiffhard
GasLightStreet
KRiffhard
GasLightStreet
KRiffhard
GasLightStreet
KRiffhard

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

I'm not so sure

I have to say, many of the vocal melodies that Keith sings in 'Breakin' actually remind me of "Oliver's Army" by Costello.
Keith has so many of those Open G suspended chording songs, that they have to overlap. Like on "Main Offender" I thought the sequencing is so odd of having "Runnin to Deep" going into "will but you won't" because those intros are so similar.
But I agree on "Breakin" and "How I Wish" being very close. The way that riff goes down...

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1791
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home