Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Happy Australia Day !
Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 26, 2021 14:47

Great country

Re: Happy Australia Day !
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 26, 2021 15:26

Happy Aussie Day!grinning smiley

Posted by: Marmalade ()
Date: January 26, 2021 21:03

Lovely country. I was there this time last year, my third visit. Want to go back.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 26, 2021 21:25

Happy Australia Day!
I miss being there. It is so far, especially these days!
Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth, all great places.
Best climate in Perth.
Best brewery and bike paths and vibe in Brisbane!
Swing your VB high, and have a great day!

Bjornulf

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: January 26, 2021 21:59

Wishing everyone a happy Australia Day cool smiley

As a kid I lived in Neutral Bay Sydney a wonderful city.I can’t wait to visit again when the pandemic is over.

Nate

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: January 26, 2021 22:11

To the colonials of the lucky country smileys with beer

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 26, 2021 23:25

But spare some thoughts for the First Nations here who were decimated by the occupying colonial power from 1788 onwards and who are still egregiously disadvantaged.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: winos ()
Date: January 27, 2021 01:28

As our stupid leader said: It wasn't a flash day for those on the first fleet vessels!!

BTW BV we don't drink VB much anymore! Boutique beers now thankfully....

pool's in but the patio ain't dry

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 27, 2021 02:17

as an american I'm so jealous of how your wonderful country has handled the virus
a inspiration to the world

Date: January 27, 2021 02:21

yes we are very obedient and lucky Australians…..State premiers led the way and not the national leadership

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 27, 2021 02:50

Yeah I like here .... i'm stayin' ....

ROCKMAN

Date: January 27, 2021 06:58

winos
State premiers led the way and not the national leadership

That's such an important point to get over to people outside of Australia (and a number of people here...)

When the Pandemic hit the world in Feb/Mar it is true to say that the National Govt did act swiftly to stop flights from China. It also decided to convene regular meetings (Zoom) of the State Premiers (sort of equivalent to US State Governors).

A very early discussion was on a more widespread border closure and the quarantining of inbound (returning Australians mainly) travellers.

The national Prime Minister, Scott Morrisson, was very very against it. But an (unholy) alliance of State Premiers absolutely dug in and insisted. And of course, as everyone can see, it was a huge factor in how we have done so well.

Very worth recounting is the fact that in many ways Australian Politics is polarised. There are two major parties. If one party decides on a policy, then the other will automatically (regardless of merit) argue against it.

So, if the quarantine policy had been proposed by a State Premier of a different persuasion to that of Scott Morrison, then he would have fought tooth and nail to prevent it. But. It was proposed (championed) by a Premier from one party, and a premier from the other party. Jointly. So Scotty had to agree.

Working across party lines for the sake of the nation does work.

It's shameful to have to relate that shortly after the new USA president was elected he spoke to Scotty, and he (Scotty) told him (Joe) all about our wonderful quarantine system (originally invented by the Venetians in the middle-ages of course). Scotty tried, it appears, to take the credit for it. I wonder if Joe's aides told him after the call about the real story?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: January 27, 2021 07:21

Very well said Captain.
I know we aren't allowed to talk politics on this forum so I do all my venting on twitter about morriscum….!

Date: January 28, 2021 20:57

i'm not that fluent in australian politics and civic systems but it sounds like you premires did what our govenors didn't for the most part or your citzens took it more seriously either way a lot unnecessary death & suffering for my nation and personaly for my family could have been avoided if we had been able to replacate what you ausies did

good health and happy australia day

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-28 21:04 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 28, 2021 22:34

Rockman
Yeah I like here .... i'm stayin' ....

Wouldn't Brisbane be a good choice for a Floridian?? Warmer weather?

Date: January 28, 2021 22:42

Yeah warm weather in old style Joh Bjelke-Petersen land ....
but that did give us Stranded by The Saints...
AND man that's one hell of a grindin' punk song .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 28, 2021 22:50

LOL! I think with the new variant ..the mailbox seems like miles away ...best stay put..

Date: January 28, 2021 22:53

.... rednecks in the jungle ....

Oh yeah and so many insects ... bugs ... spiders I've never seen before

ROCKMAN

Date: January 28, 2021 23:19

ProfessorWolf
i'm not that fluent in australian politics and civic systems but it sounds like you premires did what our govenors didn't for the most part or your citzens took it more seriously either way a lot unnecessary death & suffering for my nation and personaly for my family could have been avoided if we had been able to replacate what you ausies did

good health and happy australia day

Yes and no. :-)

Steps that were taken were possible as much for 'social compliance' reasons as fortuitous reasons to do with our remoteness, size and population densities.

It appears to have been legal to close inter-state borders. Would that have been legal in the USA? (And even if it was, how enforceable would it have been?)

We were able to close our international borders. Unimaginably problematic in (for example) Austria or Belgium.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: January 29, 2021 01:00

it may or may not be legal for states to close there borders
and as far as enforcable a white supremicist milita planned to kidnap and kill the govenor of wisconsin over making people where masks and closing resturants and a armed mob nearly stormed the home of my govenor in washington jay inslee to kill him on the same day as the dc riot for basicly the same reason and thats just the tip of the iceberg so draw your own conlusions about that
and when it comes to population density wyoming one of our largest, most rural and least populated states has had over 50000 cases and over 500 deaths and alaska whose land border is closed by canada still has had 50000 cases and 250 deaths

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-29 01:10 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 29, 2021 13:04

Rockman
Yeah warm weather in old style Joh Bjelke-Petersen land ....
but that did give us Stranded by The Saints...
AND man that's one hell of a grindin' punk song .....

As a Pig City (Brisbane) boy, I can tell you they gave us more than that one street anthem. Let's do the professo

video: [youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-30 04:39 by terraplane.

Date: January 29, 2021 22:31

....yeah terraplane ......

I lurv the battering they give ta Kissing Cousins ....

Like dentist's drill runnin' on crack ...... always For you pony Gal ...XXXXX

ROCKMAN

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 30, 2021 04:42

That was a good one. Also River Deep Mountain High

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: January 30, 2021 10:56

I am getting myself a tennis racket and passport and I am heading out.Put another skippy on the barby and pour us a cold un Sheila.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 30, 2021 12:11

bv
Happy Australia Day!

It hasn’t moved. Same distance from everyone as it ever was!!! :-)

Rod

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 30, 2021 12:32

bitusa2012
bv
Happy Australia Day!

It hasn’t moved. Same distance from everyone as it ever was!!! :-)

Except Australia borders are now closed, so unless you are actually holding an Australia passport, you are not allowed entry, as far as I understand. So a bit far at the moment.

I stay at home now, but one day I might take a long months long trip to the great unique country of Australia, visiting all the places the Stones played, every single place, watching the black swans in Adelaide and Perth, biking all the great biking paths, staying for weeks in Melbourne, and Perth, also rehearsals places. Pilgrim time, when the pandemic is taken down one day in the near future.

Bjornulf

Date: January 30, 2021 13:28

bv

Except Australia borders are now closed, so unless you are actually holding an Australia passport, you are not allowed entry, as far as I understand. So a bit far at the moment.

There are ways to get in if you're not Australian.

First way (probably a bit late for you) is to be in the top 100 or so Tennis players. They are allowed in.

Second way is to become an F1 driver (or support person) and wait until the delayed Grand Prix in November.

Failing those all you need to do, and this is really simple because the Govt here is totally gullible, is to say you are a HUGE film star and that you're making a movie that will create tens of jobs in Australia. There's loads of folk who have got in that way. The streets are positively crawling with wanna be film stars who have conned their way in like that.

Very importantly though don't bring your dogs (Blinky & Poo) which is where Johnny Depp went wrong a while back.

PS. Your itinerary missed out Hanging Rock. To be faithful to your plans you need to arrange to go there twice and cancel both times.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2232
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home