Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

if you can't play live ...
Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: January 28, 2021 02:26

... why not play in save conditions, together as a band and record it and then, properly rehearsed, record it, publish it, sell it?

I cam across those ZZ Top videos (like 'brown sugar - live from gruene hall') and I kind of liked 'em, hehehe...

And as I saw them, I asked myself:

"why don't the Stones do this now? They could join in a save recording environment, play and fool around for 2 weeks and then start recording some new music..?"

What a gas it would be for them to meet again an play again together!

What a gas it would be for us to hear news about that and try to get the news out of it!?

Aaaah, just wishful thinking, innit?

But then again, given the circumstances today ... do you have a better suggestion to the band?

One Love!
Johannes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-28 02:29 by waterrats.

Re: if you can't play live ...
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 28, 2021 02:49

I can dig this. I've thought that there's no reason the Stones, Neil Young and the Horse, others, U2, Dylan, couldn't get together, be socially distant in whatever space they are congregated, and rock out. Play those songs that meant so much to you at one time, do the blues, soul, your own stuff, etc. Stream it - you can afford it - and let us all enjoy the music we grew up on and love. Hell, can you imagine Neil Young cutting David Crosby some slack and saying let's bring back CSNY for a one off. We'd all tune in. Same for the Heartbreakers saying let's get together and honor ourselves and Tom by rocking out the fans. Ain't no reason I see why this can't happen.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 28, 2021 03:03

The Hives are in the second week of a World Wide Web tour, during which they're playing hour-long live shows performed at their base in Sweden, but at different times depending on the city they're performing in virtually (for example, Friday I watched the NYC show, which was at 6 p.m. in my time zone but must have been about 1 a.m. in Sweden). It was amazingly high energy, you were able to vote on the setlist and phone the band during the show, you could also send video and audio messages, there was crowd noise from previous shows the band had performed in each city, there's a chat function to interact with other fans or or post responses to the music, each show has a 24-hour replay . . .

Other bands including the Stones could do something like this. I loved it, and am considering "attending" the Sao Paulo show this Friday. Obviously it's not the same as being there live, but it still felt interactive.

(Anyone who might be interested in the remaining three shows, Sydney/Sao Paulo/Stockholm, here's the ticket link:
[store.thehives.com]

Date: January 28, 2021 10:43

They do what they want to do and they are right.

I think they love touring, crowds etc. Touring is their first home. Being home is their second home. Being away from home to record things is not what (some of) the Stones think it's worth it I guess.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 28, 2021 11:10

This could probably work for other bands with less potential collateral. With the Stones, you have probably 6 to 8 supporting staff per band member that would congregate and put our dear old lads at a risk that is probably not much higher than elsewhere, but the off chance is still something no single person would want to be responsible for. I see the maintaining a safe distance as a workaround to keep the risks low in everyday situations that cannot be avoided. It's not a safe enough precaution to warrant the band getting together for no audience. I would rather direct my hopes to them being near 80 so they should be high up the vaccination waiting list.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 28, 2021 11:35

waterrats

why don't the Stones do this now? They could join in a save recording environment, play and fool around for 2 weeks and then start recording some new music..?

"The Stones need to be in the same room together." said Keith - [USAToday.com] . Since they live in different countries/continents, they can probably not travel due to restrictions of the pandemic - [en.Wikipedia.org] .

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: January 28, 2021 11:53

This was pretty cool from the ever-innovative Flaming Lips:

Flaming lips pod show

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 28, 2021 12:40

Long, long breaks between tours used to be the standard for the band since the eighties. Remember the break between 1982-1989 and between 1990 and 1994. The never ending tour started around 2012.
The main difference now is that long breaks is not an option anymore. Due to age. For me, they have toured enough though.
But maybe they could get together and release that studio album they have been talking about for decades...

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 28, 2021 13:25

Stoneage
Long, long breaks between tours used to be the standard for the band since the eighties. Remember the break between 1982-1989 and between 1990 and 1994. The never ending tour started around 2012.
The main difference now is that long breaks is not an option anymore. Due to age. For me, they have toured enough though.
But maybe they could get together and release that studio album they have been talking about for decades...

Good points, Stoneage. They changed their touring model in 2012 and it enabled them to perform each year up until this pandemic. They simply cannot afford the marathon hiatuses anymore, which is why they changed the model for the 50th anniversary run. Although, I hope those in North America get to rescheduled shows, I don't believe Europe or the U.K. will see them again.

As for the album? There's simply no excuse, really. They're creatively bankrupt, perhaps. Until Mick say's something concrete, I won't hold my breath. Keith is vague and Ronnie's full of hot air.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 28, 2021 14:49

waterrats
... why not play in save conditions, together as a band and record it and then, properly rehearsed, record it, publish it, sell it?

I cam across those ZZ Top videos (like 'brown sugar - live from gruene hall') and I kind of liked 'em, hehehe...

And as I saw them, I asked myself:

"why don't the Stones do this now? They could join in a save recording environment, play and fool around for 2 weeks and then start recording some new music..?"

What a gas it would be for them to meet again an play again together!

What a gas it would be for us to hear news about that and try to get the news out of it!?

Aaaah, just wishful thinking, innit?

But then again, given the circumstances today ... do you have a better suggestion to the band?

One Love!
Johannes
Great idea , but I don't think they would be motivated by this as there are primarily a live working /touring band which is how they make there bread and butter and more power to them as always .

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 28, 2021 17:30

They're 90 years old. There's really no reason to believe they want to put in that effort, and that age there's no reason to expect they would. It'd be stranger if they did than if they didn't.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 28, 2021 18:10

RollingFreak

They're 90 years old.

In 2033, when the pandemic is finally over? winking smiley

Mid 2021 Charlie will be 80, Ronnie 74 and Mick 78. Keith will be 78 at the end of 2021. A bit of time is still on their side, but not too much ....

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 28, 2021 20:04

Big Al
Stoneage

Good points, Stoneage. They changed their touring model in 2012 and it enabled them to perform each year up until this pandemic. They simply cannot afford the marathon hiatuses anymore, which is why they changed the model for the 50th anniversary run. Although, I hope those in North America get to rescheduled shows, I don't believe Europe or the U.K. will see them again.

As for the album? There's simply no excuse, really. They're creatively bankrupt, perhaps. Until Mick say's something concrete, I won't hold my breath. Keith is vague and Ronnie's full of hot air.

And Charlie is completely left in the dark and as curious as most of us here...as he said several years ago - "so where's the new album"?

Agree with both posts above, though still think they could pull off a lives tream or two, even if they're not all in the same room.
It would pale in comparison to an actual concert, but many would pay to see it, and they could at least appear like they're still working together since a new album seems out of the question.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1637
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home