Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bill Wyman as guitarist
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 13, 2021 12:45

I believe Wyman played guitar on Heaven, but did he ever play guitar on any other Stones track.I know he played guitar on some of his solo songs, but I have never heard any of his solo songs.Since he also played other instruments on Stones songs like organ , percussion, autoharp and marimbas Im surprised he didn’t play guitar.Not expecting like Paul McCartbeys guitar output with the Beatles .

Re: Bill Wyman as guitarist
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 13, 2021 12:55

Main guitar on Heaven in Jagger.

I don't think Bill has ever played guitar on a stones song.

At the time guitar and keyboards were the main instruments that songriters used to compose pop songs, that is why we have Jagger on guitar on many songs and no Bill.

C

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 13, 2021 13:10

Other than Heaven , do you know from his solo songs what style of guitar playing he has.Does he sound like Brian or Keith?But according to the credits Bill does play guitar on Heaven.On an unrelated issue,he did a really good job as a producer for the Tucky Buzzard albums.I think he had talents which weren’t fully exploited while in the band

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-13 13:25 by Taylor1.

Date: January 13, 2021 13:40

Taylor1
Other than Heaven , do you know from his solo songs what style of guitar playing he has.Does he sound like Brian or Keith?But according to the credits Bill does play guitar on Heaven.On an unrelated issue,he did a really good job as a producer for the Tucky Buzzard albums.I think he had talents which weren’t fully exploited while in the band

There are no credits on TY. However, according to interviews (Kimsey) it is Jagger playing guitar. According to Bill, he too played guitar. I only hear one, though.

Date: January 13, 2021 13:42

You can hear some of what likely is his strumming here.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-13 13:43 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 14, 2021 09:14

I’d imagine he’s a fairly competent guitarist. It’d have been interesting to hear how he sounded on the six-string during his peak as the Stones’ bassist.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: January 14, 2021 14:43

DandelionPowderman
You can hear some of what likely is his strumming here.

[www.youtube.com]

You can see here that he plays two strings tuned so that he easily can play the boogie figure without having to stretch his fingers. I seem to remember Wyman himself stating in an interview that he couldn't really play the guitar other than some strumming in some open tunings.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 14, 2021 14:47

audun-eg

You can see here that he plays two strings tuned so that he easily can play the boogie figure without having to stretch his fingers. I seem to remember Wyman himself stating in an interview that he couldn't really play the guitar other than some strumming in some open tunings.

That surprises me, as I've always been under the impression that most bassists are, at least, adequate on guitar.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: January 14, 2021 15:03

Big Al
audun-eg

That surprises me, as I've always been under the impression that most bassists are, at least, adequate on guitar.

Depends on how you define adequate I guess.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 15, 2021 07:11

Big Al
audun-eg

He said he played bass because his hands were too small to play guitar.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: January 19, 2021 23:54

24FPS
Big Al
audun-eg

Ha, didn't stop Paul Simon or Prince, who were both tiny.

Date: January 19, 2021 23:59

Being a member of the most solid pair bassist/drummer in rock history is enough...

Date: January 20, 2021 01:22

24FPS

Andres Segovia had smaller hands than Jimmy Hendriks. However lots of Segovia's chords are more difficult to play. The entire story about size of the hands/ length of the fingers and the ability to play chords are a matter of practise and technique unless you are still a kid or handicapped.It also depends on the size of the neck etc.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 20, 2021 02:44

TheflyingDutchman

Andres Segovia had smaller hands than Jimmy Hendriks. However lots of Segovia's chords are more difficult to play. The entire story about size of the hands/ length of the fingers and the ability to play chords are a matter of practise and technique unless you are still a kid or handicapped.It also depends on the size of the neck etc.

Assuming you mean Hendrix, whose hands may be average, but damn he had long fingers cool smiley

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: January 20, 2021 04:08

what about Steve Vai's fingers ?

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 20, 2021 05:43

Send It To me
24FPS
Big Al
audun-eg

Ha, didn't stop Paul Simon or Prince, who were both tiny.

tiny.grinning smiley

Date: January 21, 2021 01:58

MisterDDDD
TheflyingDutchman

Assuming you mean Hendrix, whose hands may be average, but damn he had long fingers cool smiley

As a dutchman I tend to spell his name Hendriks.grinning smiley Damn could he play with his long fingers.

Segovia had short fingers, but damn could he spread his fingers and play. Play it loud.

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1846
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home