Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: Joe Elliott on why Leppard only play hits live
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 22, 2018 07:47

FrogSugar
gotdablouse
FrogSugar
1) Pyromania and High & Dry are some of the best classic metal albums ever
2) Joe sounds great these days as his vocals are tapes!
3) Def Leppard covering the Stones: [www.youtube.com]

Really? Like Roger Waters? Shameful but I can't say I'm surprised as his vocals on the Vegas boots were absolutely terrible.

I've heard they're indeed canned (or at least half of them are). The music is precise and follows a pre-programmed tempo beat (or whatever, a click track)..

Here we go. More "pre" abuse.

I could see them using progammed things, like the backing vocals, but pre-progammed involves a suffix that is ignorantly redundant: the "ed" in progammed means it was already done. It's past-tense. It happened already. So... pre-progammed is... before progamming, which means, in this case... it's live. With exception to STFD's samples, a Stones show is pre-programmed - because it's live.

Tapes... that's a good one.

Date: January 22, 2018 07:59

GasLightStreet
FrogSugar
gotdablouse
FrogSugar
1) Pyromania and High & Dry are some of the best classic metal albums ever
2) Joe sounds great these days as his vocals are tapes!
3) Def Leppard covering the Stones: [www.youtube.com]

Really? Like Roger Waters? Shameful but I can't say I'm surprised as his vocals on the Vegas boots were absolutely terrible.

I've heard they're indeed canned (or at least half of them are). The music is precise and follows a pre-programmed tempo beat (or whatever, a click track)..

Here we go. More "pre" abuse.

I could see them using progammed things, like the backing vocals, but pre-progammed involves a suffix that is ignorantly redundant: the "ed" in progammed means it was already done. It's past-tense. It happened already. So... pre-progammed is... before progamming, which means, in this case... it's live. With exception to STFD's samples, a Stones show is pre-programmed - because it's live.

Tapes... that's a good one.

joe was using something with the lead vocals at one point but not sure if it was for certain songs or a certain timeframe. he had a bad vocal issue a few years ago

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: January 22, 2018 12:48

RollingFreak
You don't have to like them but don't spread false info. They have always been very vocal that they are all live and all you have to do is see a show to believe it.

Never said I don't like them, I love 2 of their albums, and will still go see them if they come into town (canned vocals or not) as they're one of my bucket-list bands.

As for the info, I'm just sharing what I've read on another forum, which backed up it's statements with this YouTube link: [www.youtube.com] (text of video: This is a demonstration video of Def Leppard on their current, 2016 tour, where it appears they are lip syncing to a pre-recorded audio track. The video shows the "live" audio in one channel and the audio from a recent live DVD in the other, and then the two blended together in one channel. The audio appears to be identical.)

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 22, 2018 13:39

This is indeed pretty damning anyway you'd have to be pretty naive to think that Joe can sing like that these days with his voice completely shot already in 2011. What's even worse is that unless this has been faked the whole music seems to be canned! Comments of people who say they saw them in 2016 seem to support this unfortunately.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-22 21:47 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 22, 2018 19:52

gotdablouse
This is indeed pretty damning ane anyway you'd have to be pretty naive to think that Joe can sing like that these days with his voice completely shot already in 2011. What's even worse is that unless this has been faked the whole music seems to be canned! Comments of people who say they saw them in 2016 seem to support this unfortunately.

If they are not all live that is fairly new. Again, they've been extremely vocal about not using backing tracks at all, and I'm pretty sure their last tour with Foreigner (or Styx) and Tesla ALL bands made that announcement from the stage that there are no tapes and everything you're hearing is live. Its possible I'm wrong, but the only reason I'm surprised is they've been adamant about that fact, toured with bands that also seem to share that view, and have, hit or miss, always sounded fairly live from their tour videos. But I'll check out what you posted.

Date: January 22, 2018 22:06

Dunno, ok so I managed to find this isolated Joe Elliott live vocal from the Vegas Residency in 2013 (not 2011 as I thought sorry), it's Stagefright and it's...scary, you have been warned ;-) [instaud.io]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 22, 2018 22:34

He doesn't sing the stuff well. Thats really not hidden knowledge... But it is live, and I at least give him credit for touching it. He easily could not so yeah I've seen him since Rock Rock Till You Drop and it didn't sound very good but I'm glad they played it instead of more Hysteria songs. Obviously it sounds like I'm being far too kind for him, but not everyone's Jagger and I appreciate that this band is still at it when they don't have to be. They have plenty of money, and do respect their fans, even if they do hits filled concerts.

I'd recommend their Viva Hysteria album from that Vegas show above. Sure, I'm guessing there was work done on Joe's voice, but overall with a band I don't mind it too much and the whole second disc is them playing old stuff. Even if its far past their heyday, its nice to hear them sounding like they still enjoy playing stuff they wrote when they were in their 20s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-22 23:19 by RollingFreak.

Date: January 23, 2018 17:36

For any Stones fan to accuse Def Leppard of doctoring the vocals on a live release is hilarious.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 23, 2018 18:03

I still can't forgive him for this:

Date: January 24, 2018 04:17

GasLightStreet
For any Stones fan to accuse Def Leppard of doctoring the vocals on a live release is hilarious.

Read the thread, we are discussing ACTUAL shows, not live albums.

--------------

Date: January 24, 2018 15:10

Kurt

What's that, the Stanley Cup-trophy?

Date: January 24, 2018 16:49

gotdablouse
GasLightStreet

Read the thread, we are discussing ACTUAL shows, not live albums.

That was in response to the live album Rolling Freak mentioned. So perhaps, somehow, you missed that part of the thread.

Date: January 24, 2018 16:54

DandelionPowderman
Kurt

Yep.

DEF LEPPARD singer Joe Elliott has issued a statement defending himself against criticism that he should have known better than to place the Stanley Cup upside down (see video below) during the band's performance last Thursday night (October 9) at Detroit's Fox Theatre prior to the NHL's North American opener between the Red Wings and the visiting Toronto Maple Leafs.

Said Elliott: "I will, as always, take full responsibility for what happened because I have big pucks. However, someone at the NHL should have known better and informed me first instead of keeping the Stanley Cup under lock and key until the last minute. The practice run the day before with a coffeemaker went swimmingly because it, like every other sporting cup I've ever seen, was wider at the top than the base. Ironic, isn't it, that after that night's gig, a NHL insider told me that long ago the Stanley Cup was also designed to be put down that way? Like most of my fellow Brits, I'd never seen it before until it was handed to me sideways by which time I had a 50/50 chance of getting it right. Whoops..."

[www.blabbermouth.net]

I guess Joe didn't notice it when it was on the motorcycle. He said 'Oh it's upside down. Oh well. We're soccer boys, what do we know.'

Date: January 24, 2018 16:56

DandelionPowderman

Yes.
After hoisting it up in the air...
He set it on a table UPSIDEDOWN!

Date: January 24, 2018 16:57

Kurt
DandelionPowderman

Yes.

His "apology" as quoted above was NOT accepted here in Detroit.

Date: January 24, 2018 16:58

The journalists at The Hockey News are a bunch of arrogant blots. The little bit at the end explains the guy never read anything about music history. They had this to say about Joe Elliot and the Stanley Cup.

Ken Campbell of The Hockey News has penned a blog for TheHockeyNews.com slamming DEF LEPPARD's "dumbass geriatric singer" Joe Elliott for putting the Stanley Cup down upside down (see video below) during the band's performance Thursday night (October 9) at Detroit's Fox Theatre prior to the NHL's North American opener between the Red Wings and the visiting Toronto Maple Leafs. Campbell writes, "Ya know, the NHL really tries, but you have to wonder sometimes if these guys get it. They have a colossal screw-up with the Stanley Cup opening night, then on their web site, they run a piece gushing about Face-Off Rocks 2008 — whatever the hell that was supposed to be — as though it was the second coming of THE BEATLES. . . And you also get to watch some dumbass geriatric singer put the Cup down upside down and then say, 'Well, never mind. We’re soccer boys. What do we know?' He then adds, "What else would you expect from a bunch of guys who can’t seem to spell the words 'deaf' or 'leopard' properly? Must be that soccer trophies get placed down with the big covered side sticking up. That makes sense."

[www.blabbermouth.net]

Date: January 24, 2018 17:05

Kurt
DandelionPowderman

Yes.

LOL! grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1710
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home