Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Joe Elliott on why Leppard only play hits live
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 19, 2018 16:53

Dude hasn't changed his mind since 2012 and even mentions the Stones : [www.rollingstone.com]

I'm surprised that pairing two has-been bands like Journey and Def Leppard attracts enough interest to fill arenas or even stadiums (AT&T Park in SF)...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 19, 2018 17:15

gotdablouse
Dude hasn't changed his mind since 2012 and even mentions the Stones : [www.rollingstone.com]

I'm surprised that pairing two has-been bands like Journey and Def Leppard attracts enough interest to fill arenas or even stadiums (AT&T Park in SF)...

You'll notice the dates for Detroit and Chicago are in July - for MLB stadiums! Still they'll only get about 30,000 or so in them. So it makes sense that they've released the tour schedule this far ahead considering DL has done these group tours with other bands at minor league baseball stadiums. So go out with a big band (still, at least in theory, even without Steve Perry) that had big hits at the front of the 1980s, for people that dig that, it makes sense.

Date: January 19, 2018 19:24

Yeah I suppose it depends on the pricing too, will probably be pretty affordable, at least based on "our" standards here...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: January 19, 2018 19:48

Stadiums? Wow. I assume ticket prices will be relatively low to fill those venues.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 19, 2018 23:56

Def Leppard are great. Well, one part of Def Leppard were great. Their first three albums are excellent, with Hysteria being fine. Its sad, although understandable, that they get relegated to that Journey/REO Speedwagon/Foreigner/Styx status cause I always thought, when they were good, they were much better or different than those bands. To me those guys were also classic rock lite whereas Leppard was their own thing for a bit of time. And I hate that before I saw them I always had to choose which oldies/not great band I was gonna see open for them on their co-headlining tour. In the end, I chose Poison but that was cause Cheap Trick was opening up for THEM (outrageous) so I considered it a Cheap Trick/Def Leppard double bill.

I'm surprised Joe still talks about it cause it literally gets brought up every tour. We get it guys, you have to do it. Its annoying, cause I actually don't judge them. I get why they have to do it and that their first couple albums just didn't click. Its life. And they ALWAYS throw in at least one cut from those records so I'm happy. They're aware of it and would rather play it but the other stuff makes money and is what people want. I wish I saw their Vegas show where they were their own opening act and played all their early stuff. That stuff is great.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: January 20, 2018 00:11

I Love Def Leppard

love 80s metal big hair bands

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: January 20, 2018 20:41

Braincapers
Is this the modern way? All old bands must play hits and nothing obscure?

[www.classicrockmagazine.com]

Do they have any hits?

Date: January 20, 2018 20:53

potus43
Braincapers

Do they have any hits?

Oh boy, you don't like them. How original.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 20, 2018 21:00

mickscarey
Braincapers

Didn't know they had any...

potus43
Braincapers

Do they have any hits?

Wow, it's almost as if mickscarey and potus43 are one and the same person.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 20, 2018 21:16

My younger cousin bought me a ticket for Christmas to see them mid-late '80's (In the Round) on the condition that I drove him to the show as he was only 14 at the time.
Very boring concert, but he really enjoyed it.

Can't deny they had some big hits back in the day (the MTV era), but after they made it big they were way too teeny bopper commercial pop metal that wasn't my my cup of tea at all.

There were a couple of tunes from the first two albums while Pete Willis was still in the band that were really good when I was still in high school, but even then they were a bit tame when compared to some of the real McCoy heavy hitters (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Ozzy, etc., etc.), and have to say I haven't listened to any of it in over 35 years.

Date: January 20, 2018 22:19

RollingFreak
potus43
Braincapers

Do they have any hits?

Oh boy, you don't like them. How original.

yeah silly comment. do they have hits, wtf

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 20, 2018 22:20

I wouldn't even notice if they play an obscure number instead of a hit. It all sounds the same (in my ears) anyway. But of course - they have the same problem as the Stones - most concert-goers only want the hits.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 20, 2018 23:35

Unless you are a diehard fan of a particular band, you only want to hear the hits! For me, I would love to hear the Stones, AC/DC, Van Halen play obscure songs in concert since they're my three favourite. Other bands, I just want to hear the hits. Just saw Leppard last Summer in Vancouver with Poison and Tesla opening. Great triple bill, tickets not too expensive, Rogers Arena was sold out. Tesla played 45 minutes, Poison 1 hour and Leppard 1 1/2 hours. Couple new songs but everything else were hits. Crowd loved it.
Conversely, saw Maiden and they probably played most of their new album live. Songs sounded good but the vast majority of the crowd didn't know them. Didn't even play Run To The Hills. Still a great show.
I love Bruce Springsteen but am not a diehard fan. When I see him live, I only want to hear the hits that I know, not some obscure b side. Conversely, the diehards will probably complain about hearing Dancing In The Dark and Hungry Heart again just like we complain about hearing Miss You and Start Me Up!

The newly announced Leppard/Journey tour is coming to Vancouver in October. Depending on the ticket price I might check it out.

Date: January 21, 2018 00:01

DGA35
Unless you are a diehard fan of a particular band, you only want to hear the hits! For me, I would love to hear the Stones, AC/DC, Van Halen play obscure songs in concert since they're my three favourite. Other bands, I just want to hear the hits. Just saw Leppard last Summer in Vancouver with Poison and Tesla opening. Great triple bill, tickets not too expensive, Rogers Arena was sold out. Tesla played 45 minutes, Poison 1 hour and Leppard 1 1/2 hours. Couple new songs but everything else were hits. Crowd loved it.
Conversely, saw Maiden and they probably played most of their new album live. Songs sounded good but the vast majority of the crowd didn't know them. Didn't even play Run To The Hills. Still a great show.
I love Bruce Springsteen but am not a diehard fan. When I see him live, I only want to hear the hits that I know, not some obscure b side. Conversely, the diehards will probably complain about hearing Dancing In The Dark and Hungry Heart again just like we complain about hearing Miss You and Start Me Up!

The newly announced Leppard/Journey tour is coming to Vancouver in October. Depending on the ticket price I might check it out.

Thats fair, but I think the thing is there is a middle ground and bands are too afraid to try it out, and additionally crowds these days are not open enough to accept it. Mass exits to the bathroom or concessions is just rude, I'm sorry. People have a right to do it but you spend $100, sometimes $200 to be at this concert. At least hear what the band has to say. A bathroom break is understandable, but everyone leaving at the same time during new material is just outright rude. There are songs by everyone, including the Stones, I may not know and sometimes live those end up being my favorite songs of the night. Believe it or not, I didn't know Just My Imagination when I saw the Stones the first time and it was my favorite song of the night. You can give things a chance instead of running out. I get wanting hits, but there's nothing wrong with a 20 song set having about 3-5 new songs and 3-5 deep cuts, with every other song being a hit. Play 13 hits, 4 deep cuts, and 3 new songs, that seems fair. Bands are too afraid and its cause audience's these days are mostly insanely rude. Longtime fans get punished, when so easily EVERYONE could be satisfied.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 21, 2018 04:21

GasLightStreet

You'll notice the dates for Detroit and Chicago are in July - for MLB stadiums!

Booking the 29,000-seat Fargo Dome is also a bit of a head scratcher.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-21 04:22 by tatters.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 21, 2018 09:09

Actually I see they're doing a number of stadium shows in the US as well as Toronto. Live Nation is the tour promoter so they must know what they're doing. Sell all the nosebleed seats for cheap just to get people to the show and hopefully sell a lot of merchandise!

Date: January 21, 2018 12:20

Deltics
mickscarey
Braincapers

potus43
Braincapers

Do they have any hits?

Nothing from michaelsavage as yet...

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 21, 2018 16:56

DGA35
Actually I see they're doing a number of stadium shows in the US as well as Toronto. Live Nation is the tour promoter so they must know what they're doing. Sell all the nosebleed seats for cheap just to get people to the show and hopefully sell a lot of merchandise!

Interestingly, the stadiums all seem to be in secondary markets, while in cities like New York and L.A., they're only doing arenas. This is actually a strategy that both of these bands have been using for awhile. Instead of playing a 15,000 seat venue in Detroit, for example, they'll play a 7,000 seat venue 50 miles away in Toledo, charge top dollar, and pack the place. Why? Because there's never anything else going on in Toledo. When big name, big city entertainment comes to your humble little town, you jump at the chance to go. "Def Leppard playing here? Cool. I'm in." I still have doubts about whether or not the combination of Def Leppard and Journey really rises to the level of a stadium gig, though. There's no doubt that these bands can sell more tickets together than they can individually, but six times more tickets?

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: January 21, 2018 17:13

DandelionPowderman
Deltics
mickscarey
Braincapers

potus43
Braincapers

Do they have any hits?

"Hits", to me, imply GOOD songs. They have zero

Date: January 21, 2018 17:48

potus43

Your opinion is wrong.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: January 21, 2018 18:44

1) Pyromania and High & Dry are some of the best classic metal albums ever
2) Joe sounds great these days as his vocals are tapes!
3) Def Leppard covering the Stones: [www.youtube.com]

Date: January 21, 2018 19:15

I loved HIGH'N'DRY. That's a killer album. PYROMANIA was pretty good. Foolin' and Too Late For Love were fantastic. HYSTERIA... that one took a while to get in to. Hearing Animal on the radio all the time kind of did it. Having a girlfriend that dug it probably helped but I remember thinking 'This is the band that did an AC/DC album and now they're doing this?' It was pop rock. Although the title track is pretty good. Some great guitar work on that album

I gave 'em one more chance with (ha ha! I have to look it up!) ADRENALIZE. Wow was that bad. And... the packaging etc was HYSTERIA 2.

For some reason I've always liked Rocket. Such a goofy song.

What's probably the most bizarre thing with them is their first album sucks and their second album is fantastic. Very strange.

Date: January 21, 2018 20:44

Pyromania was good.

The Ronnie/Joe-duet on Slide On This was nice, too.

Date: January 21, 2018 20:58

Joe Elliot has a funny sense of humor. From the Billy's Got A Gun (live) B-side.

"This one's about a naughty little boy from New York City. He used to be called Peter Mensch so we changed his name to Billy."

Date: January 21, 2018 22:35

FrogSugar

Really? Like Roger Waters? Shameful but I can't say I'm surprised as his vocals on the Vegas boots were absolutely terrible. I remember that when they toured Slang and couldn't fill arenas in the US anymore they realized they were over the hill. They actually complained that they were touring a better album than the previous one (Adrenalize) for which the tour went great.

--------------

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: January 22, 2018 01:12

gotdablouse
FrogSugar

Really? Like Roger Waters? Shameful but I can't say I'm surprised as his vocals on the Vegas boots were absolutely terrible.

I've heard they're indeed canned (or at least half of them are). The music is precise and follows a pre-programmed tempo beat (or whatever, a click track)...

Date: January 22, 2018 01:51

Joe Elliott does NOT use vocal tracks. Neither do any of them and they are a band that you could understand using it. But if you see a show, you'll know Joe is all live and the band doesn't get enough credit for recreating those backing vocals. You don't have to like them but don't spread false info. They have always been very vocal that they are all live and all you have to do is see a show to believe it.

Date: January 22, 2018 02:42

I can't really be bothered either way but I remember being shocked by the dreadful singing on the Vegas boots and that was 8 years ago...

--------------

Date: January 22, 2018 04:27

potus43
DandelionPowderman
Deltics
mickscarey
Braincapers

potus43
Braincapers

Do they have any hits?

that is not what a hit is. its a high charting song which they have plenty of

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 22, 2018 04:47

gotdablouse
FrogSugar

Really? Like Roger Waters? Shameful but I can't say I'm surprised as his vocals on the Vegas boots were absolutely terrible. I remember that when they toured Slang and couldn't fill arenas in the US anymore they realized they were over the hill. They actually complained that they were touring a better album than the previous one (Adrenalize) for which the tour went great.

Never knew that, but another reason not to ever bother seeing them.
Not defending Roger Waters, but his use of tapes - which is limited - is a bit forgivable as he's 74 years old and could never really sing well in the traditional sense to begin with (although I do like his vocals on all of the studio albums). But Joe Elliott - at the relatively young age of 58 - has no real excuse for using vocal enhancements/lip synching, but I suppose I can understand why as that screechy whiny yelling of his must have taken it's toll back in the day.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1834
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home