Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Happy birthday Elvis - what they said about you
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 8, 2021 16:32

What a voice he had. Go back through those early albums, pick through the later ones, and you'll get it. Mick and Keith are noted in the list regarding his influence.

[bestclassicbands.com]

Re: OT: Happy birthday Elvis - what they said about you
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 8, 2021 16:59

Elvis was so famous that people did not like him but they did not listen to him; just because! I had friends who were in that category. Elvis was a joke. Fortunately I took the time to listen to him(I still do) and like with the Stones, his work, his music are so facisnating than criticism is not enough or adequate. Just curious to discover something new each time I listen to him(same as with the Stones)
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 8, 2021 17:17

I’m a huge Elvis fan. For me, one of his more underrated periods is the immediate post-army years: It’s Now Or Never, Fame and Fortune, Stuck on You, Little Sister, etc. Oh, and you cannot forget the wonderful LP: Elvis is Back! The Sun recordings and the 1955-59 releases get all the praise they deserve, but he was fabulous afterwards, too.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 8, 2021 18:57

If he hadn't walked into Sam Phillips' studio, we would not be on this site today.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 8, 2021 20:39

Big Al
I’m a huge Elvis fan. For me, one of his more underrated periods is the immediate post-army years: It’s Now Or Never, Fame and Fortune, Stuck on You, Little Sister, etc. Oh, and you cannot forget the wonderful LP: Elvis is Back! The Sun recordings and the 1955-59 releases get all the praise they deserve, but he was fabulous afterwards, too.

Reconsider Baby is one of my favorite songs from that record. I heard it first on Elvis Sings the Blues, which is also a great compilation.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: January 8, 2021 21:37

Happy Birthday!!!

I've been loving the recent releases of outtakes and stripped back songs. Way Down In The Jungle Room is one of my favorites. Trying To Get To You is my favorite song. Something about the way he sings it.

This is still one of the most Rock 'N' Roll moments I've ever seen. It's not like it's anything over the top, it's just ROCK 'N' ROLL!
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 8, 2021 22:04

Yes Sir ... Happy Birthday to The Rockin' Machine ........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 8, 2021 22:10

My mother-in-law saw him in 1956 in Jacksonville. She also saw the Everly Brothers in the 50's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-09 17:08 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 8, 2021 23:03

One of his early cuts, a great example of how good he was, how sweet a voice. This is the song that, when I would play it at a party, people would be amazed it was Elvis. Then, I'd start playing other early Elvis and they'd go, "We never knew", having been only exposed to the hits just like a number of Stones fans.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: January 9, 2021 03:15

The FTD label should be the model for Stones vault releases.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 9, 2021 06:42

He came back pretty good with In the Ghetto and Hunka Hunka Burning Love!

jb

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: January 9, 2021 13:42

Elmo Lewis
If he hadn't walked into Sam Phillips' studio, we would not be on this site today.

Ain't that the truth?!

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 9, 2021 15:17

Elmo Lewis

Allow me to disagree with that, Elmo winking smiley
Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, and others (not mentioning the new and classic blues men Mick had collected albums from) had a much bigger impact on the Stones' motivation than Elvis.
Having said that, Elvis to me was a fantastic entertainer with a great voice. Without any question the "king of rock' n roll"!
smileys with beer

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 10, 2021 01:02

georgie48
Elmo Lewis

Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, and others (not mentioning the new and classic blues men Mick had collected albums from) had a much bigger impact on the Stones' motivation than Elvis.
Having said that, Elvis to me was a fantastic entertainer with a great voice. Without any question the "king of rock' n roll"!
smileys with beer

Elvis was the driving force that made rockandroll music known to everybody which helped rock and roll to become a world music phenomeon influencing a huge # of young musicians. Eddy Cochran is fantastic but I don't think he could have done to rockandroll what Elvis did. Elvis was the spark or better the detonator that exploded rockandroll music splashing it all over us. Elvis is the Big Bang of rockandroll!!!!All the others are great each of them in their own way but Elvis was huge.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: January 10, 2021 05:05

the King

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 10, 2021 10:40

‘Before Elvis, there was nothing’ - John Lennon

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 10, 2021 14:07

rollmops
georgie48
Elmo Lewis

Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, and others (not to mentioning the new and classic blues men Mick had collected albums from) had a much bigger impact on the Stones' motivation than Elvis.
smileys with beer

Elvis was the driving force that made rockandroll music known to everybody which helped rock and roll to become a world music phenomeon influencing a huge # of young musicians. Eddy Cochran is fantastic but I don't think he could have done to rockandroll what Elvis did. Elvis was the spark or better the detonator that exploded rockandroll music splashing it all over us. Elvis is the Big Bang of rockandroll!!!!All the others are great each of them in their own way but Elvis was huge.
Rockandroll,
Mops

As far as the masses are concerned, you're absolutely right. But when you look at, say, new musical faces starting in the sixties, you find that Stones, Beatles, Yardbirds, Animals, Them, etc. recorded Chuck Berry songs, Little Richard songs (not to mention at the time barely know blues musicians songs), quite a few others recorded Eddie Cochran songs (The Who, Led Zeppelin, Cheap Trick, etc.). Elvis didn't have anything to offer at that level. He was primarily admired as a fantastic, carismatic entertainer. So "impact" can mean different things here.
winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1798
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home