Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Monterey 1967 Outtakes
Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: January 8, 2021 19:14

Hi,

don't know if these are new surfaced, over 2 hours...
[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT - Monterey 1967 Outtakes
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 8, 2021 21:25

Too bad Brian didn’t play at the festival

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: January 8, 2021 23:24

The 50th anniversary Criterion edition DVD/BluRay has even more outtake performances by Moby Grape, Steve Miller Band, and The Grateful Dead.

Moby Grape: [www.youtube.com]

Steve Miller: [www.youtube.com]

Grateful Dead: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 9, 2021 06:49

The Association. So squaresville.

Wonder if I will see myself in the crowd.

jb

Date: January 9, 2021 07:18

30:57

check out Bloomfield and Buddy Miles with Electric Flag and Nick Gravanites on vocals. Was the most killer set of the day. Miles plain kicked the drums apart and of course Bloomfield slayed em with run after run. Just plain wicked.

48:33 Jefferson Airplane shows em how its done: three fantastic singers backed by impeccable musicianship. This stuff still sends chills up my spine.

1:12 Maximum R & B for real

1:53:20 tiny tim freakin rules.

Hey thanks for posting that, it was great.

jb

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-09 08:29 by jbwelda.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 9, 2021 15:56

jbwelda

Nothing square about "Along Comes Mary." Groundbreaking stuff at the beginning of 1966 when the original studio recording was made. They didn't write it, true, but just being able to remember all the lyrics in a live performance is a remarkable achievement. It's a real mouthful. I will say that the introduction of this song at the beginning of the video is extremely cringe-inducing, particularly the racist "Made in Japan" joke being made at the expense of lead guitarist Larry Ramos, who was actually born in Hawaii, and was of Filipino, Spanish and Chinese descent.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-09 16:00 by tatters.

Date: January 9, 2021 19:49

So squaresville, thought it then and looking at that video, think it now. Trying hard to be hip but...just not making it. "Along comes Mary" was at the time thought to be a reference to the evil weed, another attempt at hipdom that kind of went under the mark.

Want to see impromptu good, check that Tiny Tim stuff at the end. I remember walking by that and wondering who that was singing then I realized it was the freak show Tim, only later to gain a real appreciation for him. Actually a video posted here ratified that idea in my mind. A media sensation, yeah, but a genuine original talent in a world of copy cat Brill Building wannabe "hip" cats like the Association, and Sonny and Cher specifically.

jb

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 9, 2021 21:24

Taylor1

It sure was.
But how can we not love Keith Moon! This guy is simply i.n.c.r.e.d.i.b.l.e cool smiley

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 9, 2021 22:17

jbwelda

Wonder if I will see myself in the crowd.

jb

I'm on the other side of the fence. Cherish is is a classic.

Date: January 10, 2021 02:41

georgie48
Taylor1

It sure was.
But how can we not love Keith Moon! This guy is simply i.n.c.r.e.d.i.b.l.e cool smiley
It would have been cool if Brian had come out and played the mellotron or flutes on California Dreamin with the Mamas and Papas

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: January 10, 2021 03:41

jbwelda

Led Zeppelin’s Babe I’m Gonna Leave You (usually referred to as written by Anne Bredon) owes a lot to the arrangement of The Associations’ cover version released in 1965, although Jimmy Page claims he picked it from Joan Baez record. Never underestimate the squaresville...

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: January 10, 2021 06:35

Association give one of the better tight professional performances. Yeah the schtick is dated and dumb but the harmonies are outstanding. The Flag are tops despite bv mics being off! Also enjoy the Airplane, Janis, the Who, Jimi but they all got better. Lots of the others just don't have their chops yet. But Otis with Booker T and the MGs et al...men among children.

Date: January 10, 2021 13:35

Is Cherish the same song as Precious and Few by Climax with different lyrics?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-10 13:36 by Taylor1.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 10, 2021 13:56

Taylor1
georgie48
Taylor1

It sure was.
It would have been cool if Brian had come out and played the mellotron or flutes on California Dreamin with the Mamas and Papas

Absolutely. but things were already complicated in those days. The contracts with record companies could turn nasty if an artist would join another artist without written agreements in which it was stated that no recorded material could at any time by used by "the other party". My guess is that Brian was there just for fun with no important (laywers?) people around him to keep on track.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 10, 2021 17:10

Great to watch.. thanks.

Interesting to think about the "rivalry" aspect of the scheduling of The Who and Hendrix.
Neither wanting to be upstaged, they ended up flipping a coin to see which act went first.

Turns out the performances ended up being epic legendary performances by both, with each pulling out all the stops. Jimi's performance ended up being a bit more historic and legendary..
but without The Who's epic set first, it may not have.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: January 10, 2021 19:24

So glad to see The Association getting a lot of support from good people posting. Okay, they were more conventional than many but that should not detract from their overall class and skill. I loved all the big hits Never My Love, Along comes Mary, Windy, Cherish. Bring 'em on...

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 10, 2021 21:28

I had to guess that the use of the term "squaresville" was a gag, because it sounds like a line written by a middle-aged writer trying to make the DC comic Teen Titans sound hip in 1966.

"Squaresville" at the time would be defined as this:
[www.youtube.com]
(I love Frank, but for God's sake, what was he thinking??)

The Association was an AM band that made great music. ("Along Comes Mary" was among the pop songs lauded by Leonard Bernstein in 1967)

In recent years they have gained recognition, and yes, have even become "hip" if only in part to their connection with this cult figure:[en.wikipedia.org]

Monterey Pop marked the big switch from AM top 40 playlists to FM free-form "underground" radio, from singles to albums, and articles on Rock music making the cover of The Saturday Evening Post to being printed in Rolling Stone. A move away from the audience of screaming girls. Rock n' Roll became "Rock" and studio groups like The Association--and the Mamas and the Papas-- lost their footing.

Ironically, John Phillips produced the festival that hastened his sudden irrelevance. I wonder if he could sense that at the time?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-11 01:13 by loog droog.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 10, 2021 22:44

Always loved them, and this #1 Billboard hit always brings me right back to '67 when I was four yrs. old.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: January 10, 2021 23:22

I remember in the mid-70s the new AOR station had a thing every hour when they had song challenges. Once 'Cherish' went head to head with 'Stairway to Heaven' for several days. It was a time when there were radio stations that would play John Denver and David Bowie.

Date: January 11, 2021 03:28

>I had to guess that the use of the term "squaresville" was a gag

So right! Gag me with a spoon.

How does L7 strike ya?

Those guys suck, housewife muzak that was a stain on the era.

jb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home