Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: 1971 in rock/pop music
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 2, 2021 17:11

Yes, it's click bait, but when I read through the article I was amazed at how much music many of us grooved on came out that year, how much I bought. Sure to bring back some memories for some of us.

[bestclassicbands.com]

Re: OT: 1971 in rock/pop music
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 2, 2021 17:45

1971 is a strong candidate for best musical year of the rock era.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 2, 2021 18:23

A very memorable year for me. I moved from NL to the UK and was treated with some special concerts:

The Rolling Stones (Colston Hall, Bristol) *****
The Who (University Liverpool) ****
-
-
-
Led Zeppelin (University Liverpool) **

Rolling Stones Records ... great logo!
Sticky Fingers ... great album!

Also bought some albums, very much worth mentioning, by ..
The Who, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles (surprise?), Janis Joplin, Jetro Tull, and some more. Yep, a great year, but there were so many more before and after cool smiley

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: January 2, 2021 18:43

Great thing you found this dmay!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 2, 2021 19:42

Very passable, not bad at all. Who'd have thought 50 years ago that we'd be sitting here listening to all these great records? grinning smiley

Posted by: johnh ()
Date: January 2, 2021 19:42

this book may interest you.......

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 2, 2021 20:22

Yep - my favourite year in pop/rock. Album highs by a lotta great artists The Stones (arguably), The Who, The Faces, Rod Stewart, David Bowie, Alice Cooper, Led Zeppelin (arguably), Paul McCartney (arguably), John Lennon, Jethro Tull, Joni Mitchell, Carole King, Cat Stevens, T. Rex, Marvin Gaye, Pink Floyd (arguably), Sly & The Family Stone, Isaac Hayes, The Allman Brothers, Funkadelic, Can, Traffic, The Beach Boys.

Whatever your favourite albums are by these artists, 1971 certainly produced a very high standard of music.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: January 2, 2021 20:58

Also from 1971:

The Flamin' Groovies: Teeage Head

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 2, 2021 22:43

Deep Purple Machine Head

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 2, 2021 23:05

1971 was definitely a great year in music, although the two previous years were great too.

I have posted my view on this year some years ago in another thread and received immediate approval.

One person`s random memory of all the releases this year will truly be impressive enough.

The prog thing, the heavy thing and the singer/songwriter thing seemed to peak this year, plus the 60s bands still made great records.

From the top of my head, it wouldn`t be very wrong to say that diverse bands as Jethro Tull, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, The Rolling Stones, The Who and Led Zeppelin peaked this year.

-And some hold Pink Floyd`s 1971 album "Meddle" as their favourite album by this band.

I guess we all have certain barriers towards certain names caused by a purist sensibility. I wouldn`t include Alice Cooper, David Bowie or Elton John in this company. I would say that they were waiting in the wings and would become big only in the years that were to come.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-02 23:07 by noughties.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 2, 2021 23:30

noughties
1971 was definitely a great year in music, although the two previous years were great too.

I have posted my view on this year some years ago in another thread and received immediate approval.

One person`s random memory of all the releases this year will truly be impressive enough.

The prog thing, the heavy thing and the singer/songwriter thing seemed to peak this year, plus the 60s bands still made great records.

From the top of my head, it wouldn`t be very wrong to say that diverse bands as Jethro Tull, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, The Rolling Stones, The Who and Led Zeppelin peaked this year.

-And some hold Pink Floyd`s 1971 album "Meddle" as their favourite album by this band.

I guess we all have certain barriers towards certain names caused by a purist sensibility. I wouldn`t include Alice Cooper, David Bowie or Elton John in this company. I would say that they were waiting in the wings and would become big only in the years that were to come.

David Bowie? He release Hunky Dory in 1971

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 2, 2021 23:43

Sly & Family Stone .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: January 3, 2021 00:36

frankotero
Deep Purple Machine Head

Released 1972, another great album year.

Date: January 3, 2021 00:45

I stand corrected. Fireball another masterpiece was 1971. Not as iconic though.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 3, 2021 01:32

I spent most of 71 in prison so I sort of missed this period. Heard a lot of Sly and the Family Stone though. Learned a lot of good ways to not get caught next time.

jb

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 3, 2021 01:43

Great year...............

Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin
Who's Next - The Who
Tapestry - Carole King
Sticky Fingers - The Rolling Stones
L.A. Woman - The Doors
Imagine - John Lennon
Hunky Dory - David Bowie
Aqualung - Jethro Tull
Electric Warrior - T-Rex
Pearl - Janis Joplin
Every Picture Tells A Story - Rod Stewart
Meddle - Pink Floyd
Teaser and the Firecat - Cat Stevens
Nilsson Schmilsson - Nilsson
Roots - Curtis Mayfield
The Concert for Bangla Desh - Various Artists
Songs For Beginners - Graham Nash

Date: January 3, 2021 12:17

A lot to celebrate this yearsmileys with beer

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 3, 2021 12:42

NICOS

Hunky Dory? -Æææh, not in the relatively outskirt parts of Norway. -An underground artist for people with special interest at this stage of his career, but probably already big in Britain. Besides, the album has it`s flaws.

To further complete my own post, I would mention Uriah Heep, the band that together with ELP had it`s two best albums released this year, "Salisbury" and "Look at Yourself". Of course nobody knew by then that these bands soon were going to loose their edges. They were in the big league by then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-03 12:50 by noughties.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 3, 2021 14:50

My top-5 LP’s from ‘71

1. Sticky Fingers - The Rolling Stones
2. Who’s Next - The Who
3. Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin
4. Hunky Dory - David Bowie
5. Imagine - John Lennon

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: January 3, 2021 16:49

Cool list...

Black Sabbath's Master of Reality and the Grateful Dead self-titled live album are my personal faves...

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 3, 2021 16:55

NICOS
noughties

Correct, but according to a detailed (nice/good) documentary about Bowie, broadcasted only a few days ago on Dutch TV it flopped completely and Bowie didn't really surface that year so, as noughties says, he was still waiting in the wings winking smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 3, 2021 17:37

georgie48
NICOS
noughties

Correct, but according to a detailed (nice/good) documentary about Bowie, broadcasted only a few days ago on Dutch TV it flopped completely and Bowie didn't really surface that year so, as noughties says, he was still waiting in the wings winking smiley

However, is the perspective how 1971 was experienced by people in 1971 and now write about it, or how 1971 is judged now? Bearing in mind that those who were aware of bands and issues then, may then have been restricted by their geographical distances to the vital scenes, or maybe by their prejudices, scarcity of money and lack of information that may be obvious today.

Somehow those who have approached that music from a later date, may be less restricted by barriers that those, who lived then, to some extent were.

Possibly/ probably Bowle in 1971 is seen as more essential now in hindsight, with his following career as background, than in 1971 in isolation , except from an early minority of his fans. That is my guess.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 3, 2021 23:51

georgie48
NICOS
noughties

That’s true, regarding Bowie. Only Space Oddity (U.K. no.5) was a hit prior to 1972. Hunky Dory was a relative commercial failure. Like with many others, it’s success - both critically, and in terms of sales - is very much retrospective.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2063
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home