Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
The Rolling Stones Complete Recording Sessions 1962-2012 [Paperback]
Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: May 12, 2012 16:05

I'm glad Martin's book is coming out in revised form.

[www.amazon.co.uk]

[www.amazon.com]

Re: The Rolling Stones Complete Recording Sessions 1962-2012 [Paperback]
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 12, 2012 17:42

anyone knows if this is a good and reliable writer??
jeroen

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: May 12, 2012 17:48

Yes, I think Martin has done a good job over the years compiling information. I have enjoyed the previous two versions and will likely buy the new one.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 12, 2012 18:07

What's the release date?

I'm definitely getting this.

anyone knows if this is a good and reliable writer??

Doesn't he post on this forum?

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: May 12, 2012 20:04

The Rolling Stones Complete Recording Sessions 1963-1989 from Martin Elliot, was my first Rolling Stones book! I was my guide when I started collecting.
I didn't knew there was an update and will try to buy the new one too.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 12, 2012 20:55

This sounds very intriguing

Posted by: Cardinal Fang ()
Date: May 12, 2012 21:25

I can vouch for Martin. Finally met him face to face at the 2nd Hollywood Bowl show in 2005. Thanks for the heads up on his new edition being published.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 12, 2012 21:34

Cardinal Fang
I can vouch for Martin. Finally met him face to face at the 2nd Hollywood Bowl show in 2005. Thanks for the heads up on his new edition being published.

THE Cardinal Fang?

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: May 12, 2012 22:03

The 1st edition was a great reference book for collectors and fans. I'll be ordering this one.Hopefully I'll be catching up with Martin at Ronnie's Hammersmith gig .

sc uk

Date: May 12, 2012 22:10

What recording have they done in 2012?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-12 22:10 by WeLoveToPlayTheBlues.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: May 13, 2012 00:12

straycatuk
The 1st edition was a great reference book for collectors and fans. I'll be ordering this one.Hopefully I'll be catching up with Martin at Ronnie's Hammersmith gig .

sc uk

It was my first Stones reference book. I wore my copy out. Loved reading the descriptions of all those unreleased tracks that I had never heard.

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: May 13, 2012 00:30

This book is my Stones bible.
I met Martin at gigs and always had a brilliant and drunken time. I knew him for months before I even knew he'd written that bible!
See you on June 30th mate!

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: May 13, 2012 02:15

mo books...mo books...mo books...

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: May 16, 2012 09:47

Wonder if it will be available as an eBook?

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: May 16, 2012 13:32

I have the Aeppli, Karnbach, Zentgraf, Hoffmann books. Great stuff and precious informations.
But how can anyone pretend knowing the whole recordings ? Plundered my soul or Precious Love are a few examples of unknown songs among others and not always mentionned in those books (solo works like Devil Sessions with MJ has been known only because a bootleg came out). Same for the complete Satanic sessions kept in the vault during 30 years or the Voodoo sessions.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 16, 2012 13:38

...Why didn't that guy wait 'till 2013, when he could include all the sessions for their final, upcoming album (supposedly their best since Exile on Main Street, as is whispered all over the grapevine...)

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 16, 2012 13:43

toomuchforme
I have the Aeppli, Karnbach, Zentgraf, Hoffmann books. Great stuff and precious informations.
But how can anyone pretend knowing the whole recordings ? Plundered my soul or Precious Love are a few examples of unknown songs among others and not always mentionned in those books (solo works like Devil Sessions with MJ has been known only because a bootleg came out). Same for the complete Satanic sessions kept in the vault during 30 years or the Voodoo sessions.

True, might be better to get the info totally correct for what is already well known, but as of yet no one has done so.

Date: May 16, 2012 14:09

toomuchforme

I dont think anyone has 'pretended' to know everything. No definitive account exists. By that yardstick, presumably no one should bother writing any book detailing the band's recording history.

I'm pretty sure 'For Your Precious Love' was mentioned in some of these books before it circulated. As for 'Plundered my Soul' - I doubt such a title even existed until 2009. There may have been a backing track, but the lyrics and vocals and some musical parts were newly recorded.

There's even some doubt that 'Plundered' was recorded for Exile at all. No surprise, going by the band's own bizarre criteria for including songs on that bonus disc and their rewriting of their own history to suit it - ie, Jagger stating that he considers a July 1969 recording of 'Loving Cup' as the starting point for Exile sessions and the fact that they included an instrumental which, if anything, is probably a 'Satanic Majesties' outtake.

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: May 16, 2012 14:14

Gazza
toomuchforme

I dont think anyone has 'pretended' to know everything. No definitive account exists. By that yardstick, presumably no one should bother writing any book detailing the band's recording history.

I'm pretty sure 'For Your Precious Love' was mentioned in some of these books before it circulated. As for 'Plundered my Soul' - I doubt such a title even existed until 2009. There may have been a backing track, but the lyrics and vocals and some musical parts were newly recorded.

There's even some doubt that 'Plundered' was recorded for Exile at all. No surprise, going by the band's own bizarre criteria for including songs on that bonus disc and their rewriting of their own history to suit it - ie, Jagger stating that he considers a July 1969 recording of 'Loving Cup' as the starting point for Exile sessions and the fact that they included an instrumental which, if anything, is probably a 'Satanic Majesties' outtake.

No one claims to know it all. 'For Your Precious Love' is mentioned in the book before it was leaked as a boot a couple of years ago.
It's an extensive piece of work that I wouldn't be without.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 16, 2012 16:50

There wont be a new album
jeroen

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: May 16, 2012 18:21

The 1st edition was a feast of errors, sorry to say. The book smelt like toilet paper.... There's better info around IMHO.

Date: May 16, 2012 18:36

Vocalion
The 1st edition was a feast of errors, sorry to say. The book smelt like toilet paper.... There's better info around IMHO.

There was a second edition about 5 years ago, which was very good.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: May 16, 2012 19:10

Gazza
Vocalion

And he has posted on here in the past....So he cant be all bad.

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 16, 2012 19:54

68to72
Gazza
Vocalion

Just cos someone's book is full of errors does not make them a bad person. grinning smiley

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: May 16, 2012 20:19

His Majesty
68to72
Gazza
Vocalion

Just cos someone's book is full of errors does not make them a bad person. grinning smiley

Correct.

smileys with beer

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: May 16, 2012 22:53

I bought both the first and second so far. The first had some errors that were fixed in the second and the second was a bit more readable too. It probably is not definitive but it has been extremely helpful in tracking down unreleased stuff and fun for little tidbits about the released ones. It's definitely worthy of the cost in my opinion.

I purchased the original right in a shopping mall and never knew it existed until seeing it there, but was pleasantly surprised by it.

Posted by: SessionsMartin ()
Date: May 17, 2012 12:48

Cheers for all the comments. I can give an update with some sales info - the book is due for release in July by Cherry Red Publications:

"The Rolling Stones Complete Recording Sessions, written and researched by Martin Elliott, is the definitive guide to the Rolling Stones’ recorded works. It provides significant live tour and concert details and sets the fifty years of events in a historical and cultural context. Research conducted has included interviews with producers and engineers, session musicians, backing singers, Stones experts, archivists and musical technicians.

Chris Kimsey, the renowned studio engineer and commercially the Rolling Stones most successful producer has contributed fully and written the foreword. He has worked with the band on projects from 1970 to 1995.

The Stones have grown from the remnants of 50s blues, jazz and rock ‘n’ roll to a true fusion of rhythm and blues and genuine guitar based hard rock that has been intertwined in world musical history. They embrace culture and times from the teds, mods, the hippies, disco, punk, electronic and modern digital eras, evolving to be the most iconic foundation ‘stone’ of modern musical culture.

First published in 1990, the book received an update in 2002 and has since been extensively re-worked for 2012 release which ties in with the 50th anniversary of the greatest rock ‘n’ roll band in the world and the commencement of their sixth decade at the forefront of contemporary music. Martin Elliott is a renowned authority and historian on the group, the book lists every session and recording (studio and significant live) – both the official releases and the infamous bootlegs.

The tracks are listed in chronological order and carry a full commentary and information including date, place, title, also known as, song-writer, track length, studio or live venue, production/engineer team, musician names, official or bootleg status, release title, date of release, years played live, UK & USA chart position and number of weeks in chart.

The Rolling Stones Complete Recording Sessions is a well-known reference source for authorities, journalists and enthusiasts. It is a unique chronological history to the greatest rock and roll band in the World."

Martin.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: May 17, 2012 13:01

jazzbass
Wonder if it will be available as an eBook?

I would like an ebook version. Everyone - please go to the Amazon links above and click the link to say "I would like to read this on Kindle" - this will then be sent to the publisher.

Hi Martin - would you be interested in the book coming out as an ebook? Please ask your publisher if this is possible - thanks smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-17 13:04 by WeLoveYou.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 17, 2012 17:01

I note that the 2002 edition is selling on Amazon.ca (used) for over $120...with all the errors we've come to know and love!:

[www.amazon.ca]

Posted by: SessionsMartin ()
Date: May 18, 2012 10:22

It will not be out as an eBook initially. It is not off the agenda but not planned at the outset. You can comment to Amazon or Cherry Red (the publisher). [www.cherryred.co.uk]

Martin.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1725
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home