Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Keith Richards interview - Wall Street Journal, November 11
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 12, 2020 15:30

Germano Studios, 2015/J. Rose

Keith Richards on Covid-19, the Next Rolling Stones Album and His Solo Career

The 76-year-old guitarist expects to return to the road, but older bands like the Stones could ‘throw in the towel’ if concerts don’t resume in coming years

By Neil Shah
November 11, 2020

[www.wsj.com]

Re: Keith Richards interview - Wall Street Journal, November 11
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 12, 2020 15:47

on the new album he sounds frank, thanks for sharing

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 12, 2020 15:58

best line (and so true):

Q: Do the Stones plan to tell fans when it’s going to be their last tour?

A: We tell them every time that it’s the last tour! [laughs]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 12, 2020 16:12

"I’d love to get onstage now, you know? I’d go for nothing"

Good news Keith... but don't tell Mick!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 12, 2020 16:20

bye bye johnny

[www.wsj.com]

There's a paywall - can someone paste the interview-text here?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 12, 2020 18:20

really....as if I'd give Murdoch a @#$%& dime....not happening.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 12, 2020 18:29

Based on intuition and the posts in this thread, the interview seems to be a near duplicate of the other recent interviews:

- New album half way done
- Been writing songs. and gardening
- I wrote Satisfaction in my sleep
- Winos were a great band
- Would love to tour
- The pandemic is crap
- We released Ghost Town

There might be a couple of variables in the questions/answers, but there seems to be a pattern.
Keith must be getting bored doing this recent press, but then again easy money for the re-release of a 30 year old album.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 12, 2020 18:46

Irix
bye bye johnny

[www.wsj.com]

Just push the X mate and then you can read it!smileys with beer

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 12, 2020 19:21

WSJ writer Neil Shah posted a couple of "bonus tracks":

[twitter.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 12, 2020 20:08

Irix
bye bye johnny

[www.wsj.com]

I've found this version of the WSJ interview which I'm not sure if it's an accurate copy:

By Neil Shah

Nov. 11, 2020 10:16 am ET

How does an inveterate rock ‘n’ roller like Keith Richards deal with a pandemic thwarting his touring plans? He dusts off and re-releases a live album.

This Friday, the Rolling Stone puts out a deluxe version of “Live at the Hollywood Palladium,” which documents a 1988 concert by his solo band, the X-Pensive Winos.

Released in 1991, “Live at the Hollywood Palladium” captures the ragged, rollicking sound of the Winos, a band that provided Mr. Richards with a creative outlet during a stand-off with Mick Jagger in the 1980s and has since amassed a cult following. Joining Mr. Richards in the Winos are guitarist Waddy Wachtel, keyboardist Ivan Neville and drummer Steve Jordan. Mr. Jordan is something of a foil for Mr. Richards: He co-writes and co-produces Mr. Richards’ solo music, including 1988’s beloved album “Talk Is Cheap.” The expanded live album includes three previously unreleased tracks, including “You Don’t Move M

Mr. Richards, 76, spoke with the Journal about quarantining, the most recent on the Stones’ album and touring plans and his recollections of his first solo tour in 1988. Edited from an interview:

Because you’re Keith Richards, I’ve to ask: Are you taking particular precautions to remain protected?

I’m at dwelling in Connecticut, doing what everyone else is doing—attempting to keep away from this factor. I’ve acquired household with me, so it’s type of a bubble. I wash my palms; if I am going out, I put on a masks. Laying low—is the best way you’d put it. If there’s anything you are able to do, let me know!

What about staying in form? Do you might have a regime for exercising or working towards guitar?

I hate regimes. Often, my train is working with the Stones. However I’ve acquired a treadmill downstairs, which I reluctantly plod round on for half an hour. Through the summer time, we take walks. However I do have to consider this winter—till I get down on the islands. My escape route goes south for the winter.

In relation to performing, I’ve little doubt—I really feel a bit rusty, having not performed it for over a 12 months now. However I don’t really feel bodily much less succesful than I did two years in the past. I actually have much more enthusiasm. I’d like to get onstage now, I’d go for nothing.

Realistically, when do you assume the Stones will get again on the street?

We’re all hoping that within the coming 12 months there’s some optimistic reduction. In the intervening time, every little thing’s simply pure hypothesis. Given the chance, we’ll be again.

Any extra songs you’ll be able to inform me about?

I can’t provide you with any previews as a result of the songs are in varied states of composition—or decomposition, relying on the case! [laughs]

Let’s speak about your 1988 tour with the Winos. What do you bear in mind?

Effectively, I’d by no means been a front-man earlier than. I imply, I do my one or two songs reside, inside the context of the Stones. Nevertheless it was the opposite guys within the Winos, and “Discuss Is Low-cost,” that gave me the sensation that, sure, I’d prefer to tour. At first, we have been simply going to make a report. By the point we have been ending, we had the sensation we have been an precise band. This band was made to play reside. I’ve loved myself a lot. Though I have to say, I did study an terrible lot about Mick’s job—being the front-man. That’s a continuous process.

I’m guessing it was a change to sing for an entire present as an alternative of only a couple songs an evening.

We took fairly some time rehearsing, simply to get road-worthy, in that respect. Throughout rehearsals, I acquired over the primary hump of my voice going away and disappearing—although I did lose my voice later at one present in Las Vegas [in 1993]. It’s wonderful, the human voice. It’s like a muscle, it will get stronger with use.

A spotlight of “Dwell on the Hollywood Palladium” is the two-guitar interaction between you and Waddy Wachtel. Traditionally, why haven’t extra rock bands had two guitarists, other than the extra prices?

One of many solutions can be an excessive amount of ego. Guitar gamers are well-known for it. Quite a lot of them, particularly rock guitar gamers, assume very selfishly. One guitar by itself, I can hearken to for, like, I don’t know, relying on the virtuosity, 5 or 6 minutes. However the complexity of including yet one more guitar has at all times fascinated me. Even, at occasions, three. However that must be a special day [laughs]. Little Walter and his Jukes [the blues musicians]—they confirmed me the chances of two guitars.

Your final solo album, 2015’s “Crosseyed Coronary heart,” was warmly acquired. Do you need to make one other?

Yeah, I do. In the intervening time, after all, I additionally would like to make a Rolling Stones album [laughs]. However yeah, I look again on the Winos fondly, as an incredible expertise, as a widening expertise. As a result of I had solely ever labored with the Rolling Stones, ? The Winos are an actual feather in my cap. If it have been my resume, I’d put it on the high of the record.

Date: November 12, 2020 20:25

Cristiano Radtke

I've found this version of the WSJ interview which I'm not sure if it's an accurate copy:

Thanks for posting. thumbs up

Date: November 12, 2020 20:25

MadMax

Just push the X mate and then you can read it!

There's no 'X' in my Browser .... only 'Subscribe' or 'Sign In'. But the version from the [Twitter.com] link worked for a short moment.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-12 21:05 by Irix.

Date: November 12, 2020 21:03

“Crosseyed Coronary heart”... grinning smiley

Date: November 12, 2020 21:20

[Twitter.com] - version of the interview with more Stones-parts:

Keith Richards on Covid-19, the Next Rolling Stones Album and His Solo Career

The 76-year-old guitarist expects to return to the road, but older bands like the Stones could ‘throw in the towel’ if concerts don’t resume in coming years

By Neil Shah · Nov. 11, 2020 10:16 am ET

How does an inveterate rock ‘n’ roller like Keith Richards deal with a pandemic thwarting his touring plans? He dusts off and re-releases a live album.

This Friday, the Rolling Stone puts out a deluxe version of “Live at the Hollywood Palladium,” which documents a 1988 concert by his solo band, the X-Pensive Winos.

Released in 1991, “Live at the Hollywood Palladium” captures the ragged, rollicking sound of the Winos, a band that provided Mr. Richards with a creative outlet during a stand-off with Mick Jagger in the 1980s and has since amassed a cult following. Joining Mr. Richards in the Winos are guitarist Waddy Wachtel, keyboardist Ivan Neville and drummer Steve Jordan. Mr. Jordan is something of a foil for Mr. Richards: He co-writes and co-produces Mr. Richards’ solo music, including 1988’s beloved album “Talk Is Cheap.” The expanded live album includes three previously unreleased tracks, including “You Don’t Move Me.”

Mr. Richards, 76, spoke with the Journal about quarantining, the latest on the Stones’ album and touring plans and his memories of his first solo tour in 1988. Edited from an interview:

Since you’re Keith Richards, I have to ask: Are you taking special precautions to stay safe?

I’m at home in Connecticut, doing what everybody else is doing—trying to avoid this thing. I’ve got family with me, so it’s kind of a bubble. I wash my hands; if I go out, I wear a mask. Laying low—is the way you’d put it. If there’s anything else you can do, let me know!

What about staying in shape? Do you have a regime for exercising or practicing guitar?

I hate regimes. Usually, my exercise is working with the Stones. But I’ve got a treadmill downstairs, which I reluctantly plod around on for half an hour. During the summer, we take walks. But I do have to think about this winter—until I get down on the islands. My escape route is going south for the winter.

When it comes to performing, I’ve no doubt—I feel a bit rusty, having not done it for over a year now. But I don’t feel physically less capable than I did two years ago. I certainly have a lot more enthusiasm. I’d love to get onstage now, you know? I’d go for nothing.

Realistically, when do you think the Stones will get back on the road?

We’re all hoping that in the coming year there’s some positive relief. At the moment, everything’s just pure speculation. Given the opportunity, we’ll be back.

The halting of big concerts raises a question: Do you think an older generation of rock acts could just stop touring?

Yeah, it’s a viable question. It depends on how long this drags on. If there’s relief next year or even 2022, I’d say probably most of those people, including us, would pick up where we left off. But if you can’t pull crowds together soon, in another 18 months or two years, it’s quite possible everybody would throw in the towel.

Do the Stones plan to tell fans when it’s going to be their last tour?

We tell them every time that it’s the last tour! [laughs]

The Stones have been making a new album for several years. What’s the status?

That’s on hold as well. Mick and I fling a few ideas across the Atlantic, occasionally. Apart from that, I did get one session in with [producer] Don Was to do some overdubs about three weeks ago. It was a daring adventure, going into the city. But we’re stuck halfway through. We’ve got maybe five, six tracks. One of which was “Living in a Ghost Town” [which was released in April]. We put that out immediately because it was so appropriate—because of the images coming off of the TV in March. I was listening to it, saying, this is the soundtrack to this thing—we’ve got to put it out now. Otherwise, we would’ve kept it for later.

Any more songs you can tell me about?

I can’t give you any previews because the songs are in various states of composition—or decomposition, depending on the case! [laughs]

Let’s talk about your 1988 tour with the Winos. What do you remember?

Well, I’d never been a front-man before. I mean, I do my one or two songs live, within the context of the Stones. But it was the other guys in the Winos, and “Talk Is Cheap,” that gave me the feeling that, yes, I’d like to tour. At first, we were just going to make a record. By the time we were finishing, we had the feeling we were an actual band. This band was made to play live. I’ve enjoyed myself so much. Although I must say, I did learn an awful lot about Mick’s job—being the front-man. That’s a non-stop task.

I’m guessing it was a change to sing for a whole show instead of just a couple songs a night.

We took quite a while rehearsing, just to get road-worthy, in that respect. During rehearsals, I got over the main hump of my voice going away and disappearing—though I did lose my voice later at one show in Las Vegas [in 1993]. It’s amazing, the human voice. It’s like a muscle, it gets stronger with use.

A highlight of “Live at the Hollywood Palladium” is the two-guitar interplay between you and Waddy Wachtel. Historically, why haven’t more rock bands had two guitarists, apart from the additional costs?

One of the answers would be too much ego. Guitar players are famous for it. A lot of them, especially rock guitar players, think very selfishly. One guitar by itself, I can listen to for, like, I don’t know, depending on the virtuosity, five or six minutes. But the complexity of adding one more guitar has always fascinated me. Even, at times, three. But that has to be a special occasion [laughs]. Little Walter and his Jukes [the blues musicians]—they showed me the possibilities of two guitars.

Your last solo album, 2015’s “Crosseyed Heart,” was warmly received. Do you want to make another?

Yeah, I do. At the moment, of course, I also would love to make a Rolling Stones album [laughs]. But yeah, I look back at the Winos fondly, as a great experience, as a widening experience. Because I had only ever worked with the Rolling Stones, you know? The Winos are a real feather in my cap. If it were my resume, I’d put it at the top of the list.

[www.wsj.com]

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: November 12, 2020 22:00

There are five or six songs in the works (what happened to "20"?) .. Hmmmmm well .... that's about a song a year they start to get down to .. not too shabby eh? .. .. ...eye rolling smiley

Ian

Date: November 12, 2020 22:15

IanBillen

Hmmmmm well .... that's about a song a year they start to get down to ..

So, new 10-Track Album out then in 2025 when they threw the Tour-towel .... (one of the 6 current Tracks was already released). winking smiley

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: November 12, 2020 23:23

Irix
IanBillen

Hmmmmm well .... that's about a song a year they start to get down to ..

So, new 10-Track Album out then in 2025 when they threw the Tour-towel .... (one of the 6 current Tracks was already released). winking smiley

Yep ... Five or six songs ... actually might be four .. considering LIAGT was already released. Four or five tunes every five years is prolific. Im impressed. That would mean one album every twenty years as you indicated.

This while thing is almost ..well wait.. it is and has been for a while now .. a damn joke. These guys are ridiculous.

Hairball? Where are you here on this in venting with Irix and I?

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 12, 2020 23:36

What is an X-mate?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 12, 2020 23:38

Hairball
Based on intuition and the posts in this thread, the interview seems to be a near duplicate of the other recent interviews:

- New album half way done
- Been writing songs. and gardening
- I wrote Satisfaction in my sleep
- Winos were a great band
- Would love to tour
- The pandemic is crap
- We released Ghost Town

You're not very far from the truth. grinning smiley
From another interview you missed the "B2B is a seriously under-rated album" claim, with which I would agree.

Date: November 12, 2020 23:44

IanBillen

Hairball? Where are you here on this in venting with Irix and I?

Because I must have hit a wall trying to come up with something else to say, but unlike the Stones, I'll bounce back within a couple of hours and won't let it keep me down and out indefinitely lol...........

*PS - See new album thread - I already vented their earlier today, and yesterday I chimed in on the Keith Richards interview - USA Today thread.
Not a day goes by when I don't vent about the supposed/imaginary new album. thumbs upwinking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-12 23:45 by Hairball.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: November 13, 2020 03:38

The fellows aren’t motivated at all seems like to me. See McCartney different cat or Dylan.

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: November 13, 2020 04:42

they aren't doing anything...it's really disgusting to be honest - but if they don't have the inspiration or the motivation then maybe it's for the best - there is probably a lot of anxiety on Mick's part - cuz it'll be the last album and he knows it and they are going up against their legacy - even if they put out an album tomorrow there would certainly not be another 15 years between albums again-

Date: November 13, 2020 12:20

Chris Fountain

What is an X-mate?

He meant that the mate should click/tap on the 'X'-(close)-button of the WSJ self-advertising pop-up window.

There's no 'X'-(close)-button in the original article-link of Post #1, but it appears in the article-link given via Twitter (depends maybe on the Browser).

Date: November 13, 2020 12:40

It may be wrong to expect at their age and present social context "an album".

Furthermore...does "album" at the present have the traditional meaning? or does it cause nowadays the traditional expectation?

Marginal note: My daughter and her friends do not know what an album is. All they understand/know is clicking in spotify, youtube and so on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-13 12:41 by emotionalbarbecue.

Date: November 13, 2020 13:15

emotionalbarbecue

Furthermore...does "album" at the present have the traditional meaning?

I think it would still be possible to make an Album in the traditional meaning - simply tell a story across all songs, like Pink Floyd in 'The Wall' (or a theme, like Kraftwerk's Album 'Tour de France').

The fan base of the Vinyl is growing again - hard to imagine that they constantly jump from song to song like via Streaming ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-13 13:30 by Irix.

Keith Richards
Posted by: pftw04 ()
Date: November 13, 2020 14:43

As per the interview of Wall street journal, where Keith has claimed that he got rusty again for not playing/practice for a year. Well it does not matter as the band has retired. And Keith himself hinted that age is not at there side.

Re: Keith Richards
Date: November 13, 2020 14:50

Date: November 13, 2020 15:36

Isn't it ironic that the greatest R&R band in the world has been censored by an invisible opponent? That's the last scenario anyone could have come up with.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: November 13, 2020 15:57

What an original thread title!

Date: November 13, 2020 19:24

Right now there's six separate threads for Keith on page one of IORR - this must be a record!
Will there be seven, or maybe eight?

Go Keith! smiling smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1918
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home