Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Musical Trivia
Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: October 14, 2020 05:13

With a deep & wide spectrum of demographics among the IORR community & the wealth of individual & collective knowledge here, I thought it'd be fun to have a Musical Trivia thread.

Whoever answers the prior question correctly gets to post the next question.

Living in the US & being a Gen-X'er, I'd vaguely heard of this artist. Apparently the artist was much more successful than I could've imagined & had I not stumbled onto the following description I'd have never known:

Who is it? ___________ ____________

(some obvious clues omitted to make it slightly more challenging)
UK's Greatest Gen. & UK Baby Boomers ought to figure it out pretty quickly.

"Born on the 14th October, 1940, in Lucknow, United Provinces, British India
********* has sold more than 250 million records worldwide, making ***** one of the best-selling music artists of all time.

**** has total sales of over 21 million singles in the United Kingdom and is the third-top-selling artist in UK Singles Chart history, behind only the Beatles and Elvis Presley.

******* was originally marketed as a rebellious rock and roll singer in the style of Presley and Little Richard.

With *** backing group, the *********, ****** dominated the British popular music scene in the pre-Beatles period of the late 1950s to early 1960s.

His 1958 hit single "**** **" is often described as Britain's first authentic rock and roll song; in the opinion of John Lennon of the Beatles, "before ****** ********* *** *** *******, there had been nothing worth listening to in British music".

In the early 1960s, *** had a prosperous film career with films including The Young Ones and Summer Holiday.

Increased focus on *** Christianity and subsequent softening of *** music led to a more middle-of-the-road image and *** sometimes ventured into contemporary Christian music.

Over a career spanning 60 years, ******* has amassed several gold and platinum discs and awards, including two Ivor Novello Awards and three Brit Awards.
More than 130 of *** singles, albums and EPs have reached the UK Top 20, more than any other artist.

********* has had 67 UK top ten singles, the second highest total for an artist behind Elvis.

********* holds the record (with Elvis) as the only act to make the UK singles charts in all of its first six decades (1950s–2000s).
*** has achieved 14 UK number-one singles, and is the only singer to have had a number-one single in the UK in each of five consecutive decades. *** also had four UK Christmas number one singles, two of which were as a solo artist; "********** ** *****" and "******** ***"."

Re: OT: Musical Trivia
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 14, 2020 05:30

Cliff Richard?

Date: October 14, 2020 05:51

DGA35
Cliff Richard?

Yes, correct. What is your trivia question?

Date: October 14, 2020 07:58

Stones question: What concert did Keith perform 3 songs instead of the usual 2? Not sure if it's happened more than once but I know once for sure.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: October 14, 2020 11:41

DGA35
Stones question: What concert did Keith perform 3 songs instead of the usual 2? Not sure if it's happened more than once but I know once for sure.

Las Vegas in 2016 was at least one time he did, with Mick still recovering from the dust from the trip to the desert.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 14, 2020 11:58

ChrisL
DGA35

Las Vegas in 2016 was at least one time he did, with Mick still recovering from the dust from the trip to the desert.

I'm sure it happened during the A Bigger Bang tour, too. Or, was it the Licks tour? It's only been necessary on a mere handful of occasions, that's for sure.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 14, 2020 13:20

DGA35
Las Vegas 2016 right after Coachella performance by the Stones when Mick had iisues with the dry Coachella air thus forcing Keith to perform 3 songs .At one of these 2016 dates the Stones performed Ride Em on Down from the blues album .

Date: October 14, 2020 13:29

The Las Vegas show, not only featured three Keith vocal-numbers, but only only 18 performances in total. So, even less Mick!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 14, 2020 13:56

DGA35

Vancouver, rescheduled show due to Mick's dad passing away. Toward the end of ABB tour. It was in November & snowed hard on the drive home to Seattle!

Date: October 14, 2020 20:55

crholmstrom
DGA35

Vancouver, rescheduled show due to Mick's dad passing away. Toward the end of ABB tour. It was in November & snowed hard on the drive home to Seattle!

This was the concert I was thinking of. Figured CR would remember it! Yes, driving home in the snow out in the Fraser Valley afterwards wasn't pleasant!

Date: October 14, 2020 21:00

@crholmstrom

It's your turn to ask a trivia question.

(though technically, anyone who answered with an alternate correct answer can also pose a question)

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 14, 2020 21:38

When Cliff had his first US hit with "Devil Woman" in 1976, there was an article in a music magazine (Rolling Stone?) in which Cliff said the American record company sent a bottle of champagne to his room with the card saying "Congratulations, Keith Richards". Cliff thought it was great!

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: October 14, 2020 23:09

DGA35
crholmstrom
DGA35

This was the concert I was thinking of. Figured CR would remember it! Yes, driving home in the snow out in the Fraser Valley afterwards wasn't pleasant!

another one
Paradiso 26.5.95
connection, slipping, the worst

Date: October 15, 2020 13:50

Elmo Lewis
When Cliff had his first US hit with "Devil Woman" in 1976, there was an article in a music magazine (Rolling Stone?) in which Cliff said the American record company sent a bottle of champagne to his room with the card saying "Congratulations, Keith Richards". Cliff thought it was great!

That's great!grinning smiley

I think Cliff and The Shadows did tour North America one time in the very early 60's, but being pre-British Invasion, it was probably inevitable that they'd have difficulty cracking the country. It took The Beatles' arrival in '64 to open the doors for everyone else, of course.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 15, 2020 14:34

DGA35
crholmstrom
DGA35

My friends and I still laugh about that drive, we left the morning after.
Left downtown Vancouver with the top down on the car, light snow as we grabbed a crepe and coffee on Robson. Practically needed chains to get up the slight incline at the border.
White knuckled it all the way down I-5 winking smiley
Good times.

More Trivia-
Bonnie Raitt opened that show.. who was supposed to before the show was rescheduled?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-15 14:55 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 15, 2020 14:39

Dorn
DGA35
crholmstrom
DGA35

another one
Paradiso 26.5.95
connection, slipping, the worst

Another one-
Vegas '16
Slipping Away
Little T & A
Happy

Date: October 16, 2020 01:38

Sorry for delay. Who played guitar for Bob Dylan at the beginning of the Never Ending Tour?

Date: October 16, 2020 01:43

MisterDDDD
DGA35
crholmstrom
DGA35

Left downtown Vancouver with the top down on the car, light snow as we grabbed a crepe and coffee on Robson. Practically needed chains to get up the slight incline at the border.
Good times.

More Trivia-
Bonnie Raitt opened that show.. who was supposed to before the show was rescheduled?

Van Morrison. I was crushed as Van (& the Cure) were my bucket list acts. I finally saw the Cure twice in 2016 & Van a few years ago in Vegas for my birthday. I did the same in the snow storm, stayed overnight & drove home the next morning. Things started getting dicey about the border. The drive took hours. I've shared this before but I hit some black ice in Bellingham & did a 360 on I5. Kept on driving, haha. It took hours to get home.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: October 16, 2020 02:31

crholmstrom
MisterDDDD
DGA35
crholmstrom
DGA35

Good times.

More Trivia-

Van Morrison. I was crushed as Van (& the Cure) were my bucket list acts. I finally saw the Cure twice in 2016 & Van a few years ago in Vegas for my birthday. I did the same in the snow storm, stayed overnight & drove home the next morning. Things started getting dicey about the border. The drive took hours. I've shared this before but I hit some black ice in Bellingham & did a 360 on I5. Kept on driving, haha. It took hours to get home.

Yes it was too bad that Van didn't get to open in Van, however, we'll never know if he would have sat in with the Stones. I think it was Bonnie Raitt's suggestion to do 'Shine A Light' that night with the boys, so things definitely worked out maybe for the better. (I actually missed Bonnie's set, but because I did, I ended up scoring front row for $100 from some amazing folks outside. Had Van played, I probably would have tried to catch him, albeit from farther away).

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 16, 2020 03:46

mosthigh
crholmstrom

More Trivia-

Yes it was too bad that Van didn't get to open in Van, however, we'll never know if he would have sat in with the Stones. I think it was Bonnie Raitt's suggestion to do 'Shine A Light' that night with the boys, so things definitely worked out maybe for the better. (I actually missed Bonnie's set, but because I did, I ended up scoring front row for $100 from some amazing folks outside. Had Van played, I probably would have tried to catch him, albeit from farther away).

That was the first Stones show I ever travelled for. And Bonnie was wonderful, loved her set and on SAL. When the Beacon shows were announced, so close together and to Vancouver’s original date, I told my friends that Mick would likely blow his voice out, and I didn’t expect the show to happen. A few days before, I actually called the venue to see if it was still likely to go on, and the baffled woman said ‘of course, they’re already setting up.’ Three hours later, delay announcement. It was a great show, but very hard to watch them without thinking that Mick had just lost his dad, and Ronnie his brother Art, and they were hurting but still blew the doors off the place. That cemented my love for these guys.

Date: October 27, 2020 06:00

crholmstrom
Sorry for delay. Who played guitar for Bob Dylan at the beginning of the Never Ending Tour?

So we've reached the 10-day "limit" on the trivia question. If anybody can answer now, do so please.

***For the rest of this thread, let's open up the trivia questions to anybody that can submit one. I'm sure they'll eventually get answered.

Date: October 27, 2020 11:41

KevinM
crholmstrom

So we've reached the 10-day "limit" on the trivia question. If anybody can answer now, do so please.

***For the rest of this thread, let's open up the trivia questions to anybody that can submit one. I'm sure they'll eventually get answered.

G.E. Smith?

Date: October 27, 2020 13:25

ChrisL
KevinM
crholmstrom

G.E. Smith?

No. G.E. was taken ill & a substitute was brought in for the beginning of the tour.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 27, 2020 14:07

Mick Taylor?

Date: October 27, 2020 14:14

Elmo Lewis
Mick Taylor?

Nope

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: October 27, 2020 14:26

He's used Marshall Crenshaw and Charlie Sexton over the years, either one of those?

Date: October 27, 2020 14:28

I'll try one more guess ... Fred Tackett?

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 27, 2020 14:38

Belated but Keith performing 3 songs: the last 4 dates of the postponed OZ/NZ leg of the 14 On Fire Tour [8 dates in all excluding the cancelled Hanging Rock show] :

Sydney
Hunter Valley
Brisbane
Auckland

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-27 17:31 by RisingStone.

Posted by: kidquick185 ()
Date: October 27, 2020 14:49

Stu Kimball?

Date: October 27, 2020 17:19

Nobody has gotten it yet. Here's a clue: the tour started in California. The guitar player lived there at the time. Recently has relocated to another state.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1738
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home