Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: Mick Taylor on Late Night w/ Jimmy Fallon 5/9
Date: May 11, 2012 22:44

Stoneage
Agree, 24FPS. Howard is always entertaining. The ribbing of Mick T looked bad though because it was obvious that Mick took ill offense and that he was too shy to "give back". If they are seriously planning on having Mick T back in the band (of some sorts) Mick J has a very grim task preparing him for it. Mick T is basically stuck in early 70s blues routines. For the Taylorites it's probably heaven, for the vast majority it's mostly boring. Not just to hear but even more so to watch. And try showing a smile once in a while. It won't hurt!

The whole thing between Stern and MT was obviously scripted. Mission accomplished.

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: May 11, 2012 23:37

If someone can post the excerpt of Shine A Light, I'd appreciate it.
It was played at ~3:26.
(Some outside the US claim the show is not viewable though CYHMK is.)
For Taylor, it was unusually close to the original. Tone was very different.
Thought perhaps a different key, but Exile might be speeded up.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 12, 2012 00:52

MightyStonesStillRollin50
Stoneage
Agree, 24FPS. Howard is always entertaining. The ribbing of Mick T looked bad though because it was obvious that Mick took ill offense and that he was too shy to "give back". If they are seriously planning on having Mick T back in the band (of some sorts) Mick J has a very grim task preparing him for it. Mick T is basically stuck in early 70s blues routines. For the Taylorites it's probably heaven, for the vast majority it's mostly boring. Not just to hear but even more so to watch. And try showing a smile once in a while. It won't hurt!

The whole thing between Stern and MT was obviously scripted. Mission accomplished.

All those different interpretations! Would love to be able to judge myself.

Anyway, I think Taylor's shyness is a bit of a myth. On another thread I read he was just obnoxious to his fans. Doesn't sound like 'shy'.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 12, 2012 01:39

Stoneage

In my opinion, I don't think it was scripted. Although Taylor may have suspected that if Howard was going to address him, Stern would bring the issue of him living the stones. Taylor didn't have a microphone to answer back which left him in a difficult position of being Stern's mute target which was unfair to Mick Taylor.
As un interviewee, Stern with a micophone is unstoppable and unscriptable.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 12, 2012 02:17

is there a link to the stern interview?

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: May 12, 2012 02:41

carlitosbaez
Mick Taylor at Jimmy Fallon

Carlitos
Tenerife

NICE man

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: May 12, 2012 02:51

I just watched the entire Stern piece. He made a few jokes about Mick leaving the Stones but also mixed in a some nice comments. Nothing over the top. Especially compare to what Howard has potentail to say.

Mick is still a special talent.

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 12, 2012 03:22

Finally got to see the clips...Howard comes off as a genuine fan. Not sure why everyone's making a big case about it. Taylor is unmic'd but he there's a boom mike on him to catch any remarks he might make so it's not like he was ambushed just because Stern was mic'd and he wasn't. Stern was poking fun and showing how passionate he was about his favorite band. No big deal.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 13, 2012 08:30

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-13 08:33 by swiss.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 13, 2012 09:28

MT still has it. I do see him on tour with the Stones and he is probably recording with them in NY,. The right man to cover for Keith. It is a no brainer and I think Jagger knows it. I think jagger will make MT a nice offer to have him back.Love to see it. It is the 50th Anniversary and last tour. Sign the guy up.

Posted by: Norbert ()
Date: May 13, 2012 09:40

smokeydusky
If someone can post the excerpt of Shine A Light, I'd appreciate it.
It was played at ~3:26.
(Some outside the US claim the show is not viewable though CYHMK is.)
For Taylor, it was unusually close to the original. Tone was very different.
Thought perhaps a different key, but Exile might be speeded up.

Yeah, I second that request! - I can watch CYHMK, but the whole show is not available outside the U.S.
Thanks
CrazyMama

Posted by: bbkink ()
Date: May 13, 2012 18:48

That version of CYHMK was quite good!

[savoirfaire-hoorayforhollywood.blogspot.com]

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: May 13, 2012 19:50

kleermaker
Stoneage

Anyway, I think Taylor's shyness is a bit of a myth. On another thread I read he was just obnoxious to his fans. Doesn't sound like 'shy'.

Sometimes shy people react out of a defense mechanism. They're socially awkward and often come across as 'obnoxious'.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: May 13, 2012 21:12

Finally, a link that worked for me: Clickety

Split into four segments.

I don't see all the fuss regarding Howard ... he let Mick off easy.

Really, does anyone see a parallel between Stern and Don Rickles?
Any hate here for Rickles? They're BOTH insult comics!

I thought it funny; reminded me of Rickles on Carson all them years ago.
Same schtick; new day. Maybe it's why Howard hasn't gone on with Don?
Or am I mistaken?

Date: May 13, 2012 21:38

TheDailyBuzzherd

I don't see all the fuss regarding Howard ... he let Mick off easy.

Really, does anyone see a parallel between Stern and Don Rickles?
Any hate here for Rickles? They're BOTH insult comics!

I thought it funny; reminded me of Rickles on Carson all them years ago.
Same schtick; new day. Maybe it's why Howard hasn't gone on with Don?
Or am I mistaken?

Thanks!

Date: May 13, 2012 21:40

stupidguy2
kleermaker
Stoneage

Sometimes shy people react out of a defense mechanism. They're socially awkward and often come across as 'obnoxious'.

Well, I'm a shy person too. But I can also be very assertive at times. People aren't flat or one dimensional. Characterizing Taylor as 'shy' is too easy and not true.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: May 13, 2012 21:54

Public persons have two personas: public and private.

Everyone's more complicated than what we see.

Mick took it all well. He knows the script and knew
going defensive would work against him, especially
since Howard was giving him backhanded compliments.

Despite all the cantankerous encounters, I'll bet
Howard really is a nice person. He just knows what
moves an audience. He just abhors phonies and has
said as much since Day One. Been burned too many
times by 'em.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 13, 2012 21:57

kleermaker
stupidguy2
kleermaker
Stoneage

Well, I'm a shy person too. But I can also be very assertive at times. People aren't flat or one dimensional. Characterizing Taylor as 'shy' is too easy and not true.

Kleermaker...are you essentially saying your a "Fool too Shy"?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 13, 2012 22:18

Kleermaker

Maybe you are right, Kleermaker. How would you characterize him then? Modest, timid, reserved?

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 13, 2012 22:34

Howard was right about one thing - he DOES in fact look unhappy (the extra pounds don't help). It might do him some good to just come right out and say "Yeah, I regret leaving" instead of sticking to his guns. Just admit it, you know - I think people would respect the honesty.

Maybe the Stones should write a song for him called No Regrets.

Date: May 13, 2012 22:43

Stoneage
Kleermaker

Maybe you are right, Kleermaker. How would you characterize him then? Modest, timid, reserved?

I wouldn't characterize him at all. But I know he has sense of humour. Which I could conclude from this interview (especially because the interviewer was so damned bad):

Date: May 13, 2012 22:51

TheDailyBuzzherd

Only to be listened at in the USA. In what kind of world do we live?

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: May 15, 2012 21:19

I loved the guitarwork Mick Taylor did right after the monolog. Does anybody know what song they were playing. It's a keeper! thanks, ExileStones

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 17, 2012 02:51

i didnt see the show but i was listening to howard the day after and the crew were giving him shit for messing with mick taylor.

basically it was "why did you say that to him?" howard said he loves mick and its the same stuff he said when mick was on the show years ago.its sort of an ongoing bit,howards whole career has been made from saying out loud what everyone else is thinking.

it wasnt scripted,stern just sort of goes off on those late night shows but he's definitly in micks corner.

Date: May 17, 2012 08:27

lem motlow
i didnt see the show but i was listening to howard the day after and the crew were giving him shit for messing with mick taylor.

basically it was "why did you say that to him?" howard said he loves mick and its the same stuff he said when mick was on the show years ago.its sort of an ongoing bit,howards whole career has been made from saying out loud what everyone else is thinking.

it wasnt scripted,stern just sort of goes off on those late night shows but he's definitly in micks corner.

A trimmed down Mick Taylor in New York on Jimmy Fallon just ten days before SNL? Of course it was scripted! The question becomes, at what point (and at what time) do we get to the bottom of this mystery? It should all make more sense by this time next year.

Posted by: SundanceKid ()
Date: May 17, 2012 17:03

kleermaker

Kleermaker, this should work from wherever you are.

[www.filebox.com] (Just press "Free" to continue)

Posted by: SundanceKid ()
Date: May 17, 2012 17:19

exilestones
I loved the guitarwork Mick Taylor did right after the monolog. Does anybody know what song they were playing. It's a keeper! thanks, ExileStones

I'm assuming you mean after the monologue by Jimmy Fallon, the intro to the show ? From 03:25 to 04:05 - that's from Shine A Light, MT playing his own solo there.

If you listen back to Exile, it starts around 02:40.

Date: May 17, 2012 18:01

SundanceKid
kleermaker

Kleermaker, this should work from wherever you are.

[www.filebox.com] (Just press "Free" to continue)

That's great! It works indeed! Thank you very much SundanceKid! Very much appreciated!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 17, 2012 18:21

After viewing the clip, a cameo with the Stones doesn't sound a bad proposition. An entire show, though? No. I think someone in an earlier post in this thread commented on how Taylor hasn't seemed to have progressed so much. He appears very comfortable performing in clubs and bars and I cannot envisage him rocking out on Gimme Shelter or Jumpin' Jack Flash, anymore.

Posted by: Nimrod ()
Date: May 17, 2012 19:37

Mick Taylor sounded fine. If he joined the Stones, he'd sound like the best guitarist to ever walk the planet compared to what they've got right now. He did look pretty bad, though. He looks bloated and just had this dead sort of look in his eyes. And anyone getting on Stern's case doesn't know what they're talking about. He took a few playful jabs while still acknowledging how much of a fan he was of Taylor and he was funny. None of it was disrespectful. When did Stones fans become so PC?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-17 19:38 by Nimrod.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1831
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home