Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: Any thoughts on Marc Bolan and his music?
Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: May 4, 2012 17:28

CousinC
I like some of his songs but generally . . no.
You know that Keith hated him? Try N.Kents book about his car ride with Keith. Keith jumped out of the car to kick a newspaper stand with Bolan on cover . .

Is there anyone who's made a record after 1960 who Keith does like?

Date: May 5, 2012 01:38

Stones unreleased music is a maze, but Bolan's is just as bad. As in there being SO MUCH.
Tyrannosaurus Rex with Took or Finn.
You can get the alternate album to each of his officials; those are all very good.
Then there is the whole Unchained series.
Tons of Radio and TV shows.
Tons of home recordings.
The great thing about Bolan was that at any time he could show up with just his acoustic guitar and do his thing right there on the floor.

Date: May 5, 2012 02:01

Palace Revolution 2000
Stones unreleased music is a maze, but Bolan's is just as bad. As in there being SO MUCH.
Tyrannosaurus Rex with Took or Finn.
You can get the alternate album to each of his officials; those are all very good.
Then there is the whole Unchained series.
Tons of Radio and TV shows.
Tons of home recordings.
The great thing about Bolan was that at any time he could show up with just his acoustic guitar and do his thing right there on the floor.

i think bolan walked around with a tape recorded going 24/7

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: May 5, 2012 02:02

Thank you for sharing this...I watched part 1 today. I never really knew too much about T-Rex & Marc Bolan. Really interesting. smoking smiley

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: May 5, 2012 02:08

I didn't get into Marc Bolan until a few years ago, when I learned he used a Dallas Rangemaster treble booster. I started to listen to him for his guitar tone and as time went on his music grew on me.

And Edith Grove is right -- Marc left this world way too soon.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 5, 2012 02:37

Stones - first love.
Bolan & T. Rex (plus some other artists/bands) close second. 'nuff said.

If you follow the development of Marc's music in the 10 years + of his career, it's simply breathtaking. Pure magic.

Date: May 5, 2012 03:05

As much as I love T Rex I often have to laugh at live recordings: Mickey Finn was w/o doubt the worst Conga player ever, LOL. There is absolutely no imagination or skill. I read somewhere that Bolan liked Mickey for his looks.
Didn't matter too much anyway; once he went electric the congas were minimal.

I loved Bolan's sound. The strings, Flo & Eddie, Bolan's electric. They could get a big sound. One of my favorite tracks is "Rabbit Fighter".
Bolan didn't need too much to get a great song going; take "New York City". One line.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: May 6, 2012 16:25

Yeah, thanks a lot for sharing this video with us, swiss. In my early teens, before I dug deeper into the Stones and other stuff, T. Rex was one of my favourite bands. Nice memories.

dead.flowers

swiss
stonesrule, so glad you posted this topic!

I know next to nothing about Marc Bolan and/or T-Rex--a real gap in my musical/historical
knowledge---guess that's one of the cool things about life: there's always stuff we don't
know and we still get to learn about!

With that said, just last night(!) I came upon this for free on Hulu, and bookmarked
it to watch tonight. Have no idea whether it's great or shite or something in between smiling smiley

video: [www.hulu.com]

Sorry for the people who might not be able to see this. Here's the deets:

Title
T.Rex: Inside (2012)

Runtime
59 min.

Studio
CODA BOOKS

Description
Drawing on extensive rare archive footage of T-Rex, this ground breaking two disc set covers the entire recording career of the band. We also discover the power of T-Rex on stage as we review the surviving footage of the amazing live concert performances. In the company of a leading team of critics, former T-Rex members Bill Legend and Paul Fenton and the legendary BP Fallon, the original “purple browed beep”, this a rare opportunity to experience once again the greatness of the work Marc Bolan and discover the brilliance of T-Rex in full song.

It also appears to be on youtube (again--sorry for those who cannot get it in your country).
Here is Part 1!

Posted by: MJG196 ()
Date: May 6, 2012 17:55

A great cover of The Wizard:

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 6, 2012 19:34

Good to see that Bolan is getting true appreciation once more.

Posted by: ts ()
Date: January 10, 2013 03:44

Automatic shoes automatic shoes ... The Slider and Electric Warrior are not to be taken lightly.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 10, 2013 04:52

Check out "Jewel" from the 1st T Rex album ( the one with Ride a White Swan )-
it rocks !!!!

Date: January 10, 2013 05:10

Will do bob. Thanks

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 10, 2013 05:17

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 10, 2013 10:34

With the exception of Bowie and Mott, I don't like Glam too much.

Date: January 10, 2013 10:37

tomcasagranda

What'd I ever do to you?

Date: January 10, 2013 10:40

Seriously "glam rock" was just lazy journalistic shorthand -- I mean, Roxy Music sounded nothing like T. Rex really.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 10, 2013 11:16

Glam Descendant
tomcasagranda

What'd I ever do to you?

Nothing: Glam rock I should say.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: January 10, 2013 11:18

Glam Descendant
Seriously "glam rock" was just lazy journalistic shorthand -- I mean, Roxy Music sounded nothing like T. Rex really.

Yes, and putting Bowie and Roxy in the same bag as Sweet and Gary Glitter is just absurd.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: January 10, 2013 11:54

Were Mott the Hoople glam? Part of the scene maybe but glam no.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 10, 2013 12:41

A great songwriter, singer and a really underrated guitarist. The sound he got from his 1947 sunburst Les Paul was incredible. He was single handedly responsible for ushering in the glam rock era in the 70s but his psychedelic folk material was equally unqiue and enchanting.

Electric Warrior and The Slider are his best known albums and receive all the plaudits but a really over-looked gem in his canon is the album just called T. Rex from spring 71. Boy, oh boy, is that album loaded with incredible pop/rock vignettes.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 10, 2013 14:29

Going back in time, I do remember Tyrannosaurus Rex and then they became T Rex,
They were a very Hip Band and I liked them a lot. Get it on was big at the time.
I found 1 vinyl; The Slider with some great cover pics done by Ringo Starr

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 10, 2013 14:37

One of the very few "Glam Rockers" with any real cool and substance.
Undrerated guitar player too. Simple but very effective.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: January 10, 2013 15:19

Marc recorded this great song in Toshiba studio, Tokyo back in 1972.

Many years later, Stones recorded Stripped in the same studio.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 10, 2013 15:21

Silver Dagger
A great songwriter, singer and a really underrated guitarist. The sound he got from his 1947 sunburst Les Paul was incredible.

Electric Warrior and The Slider are his best known albums and receive all the plaudits but a really over-looked gem in his canon is the album just called T. Rex from spring 71. Boy, oh boy, is that album loaded with incredible pop/rock vignettes.

Agree.Is It Love from the Brown album has a really simple but clever solo (1.15 mark) with a great guitar sound.

I have read that Marc's Les Paul was a sunburst but others say it was a gold top. It was already resprayed orange when Marc bought it. There are some bite marks near the bridge which suggest it had a Bigsby fitted to it at one time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-10 15:23 by terraplane.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 10, 2013 15:44

terraplane
Silver Dagger
A great songwriter, singer and a really underrated guitarist. The sound he got from his 1947 sunburst Les Paul was incredible.

Agree.Is It Love from the Brown album has a really simple but clever solo (1.15 mark) with a great guitar sound.

I have read that Marc's Les Paul was a sunburst but others say it was a gold top. It was already resprayed orange when Marc bought it. There are some bite marks near the bridge which suggest it had a Bigsby fitted to it at one time.

Marc was a forerunner of the 'less is more' minmimalistic guitar solo that was picked up by the punks, especially Mick Jones of The Clash.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 10, 2013 15:44

When talking of The Slider or Electric Warrior, it`s hit and miss. One good song, one bad song, one good song, one bad song, and so it goes...

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: January 10, 2013 17:40

Have a friend whose very knowledgeable on music say the earlier more acoustic stuff is good, believe that is when the band is called Tyranosaurus Rex vs. the shortened version, I haven't heard it. Have one song by John's Children on a Rhino British invasion disk, John's Children was Marc's group even before.

Date: January 10, 2013 23:24

Incredible videos Glam, runaway, and Toru. Having grown up in the remnants of the Oklahoma dustbowl in the early seventies didn't always get the full swing of Mr. Bolan. Cutting edge to say the least.

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: January 11, 2013 09:53

For sure one of the best.
Great songwriter and guitar player.
T.Rex and Marc Bolan are one of my favorites.

Love Teenage Dream.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1671
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home