Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: Any thoughts on Marc Bolan and his music?
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 11, 2013 10:07

thumbs down from me...He had a couple of singles on the top chart lists but it's children pop-music in my world...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: January 11, 2013 16:16

Come On
thumbs down from me...He had a couple of singles on the top chart lists but it's children pop-music in my world...

But that would be a valid point for nearly every charts single ever released, including Presley, Dylan, Beatles, Stones.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: January 11, 2013 17:49

Good in the studio, terrible live.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: January 18, 2013 15:38

runaway

Going back in time, I do remember Tyrannosaurus Rex and then they became T Rex,
They were a very Hip Band and I liked them a lot. Get it on was big at the time.
I found 1 vinyl; The Slider with some great cover pics done by Ringo Starr

According to Tony Visconti,

The cover credits Ringo Starr as the photographer of the front and back covers, when in fact Marc handed me his motorized Nikon
and asked me to fire off two rolls of black and white film while we were on the set of "Born To Boogie". Ringo, the director of the film, was busy all day lining up shots.
But Marc apparently saw a photo "credit" opportunity and gave Ringo the credit for the photos.
Months later when Marc was going over contact sheets I recognized my photos and blurted, "I took these!"
Marc said, "Cool, just initial the ones you took and I'll give you credit on the sleeve if I use them." winking smiley

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 18, 2013 16:08

Toru A
runaway

Going back in time, I do remember Tyrannosaurus Rex and then they became T Rex,
They were a very Hip Band and I liked them a lot. Get it on was big at the time.
I found 1 vinyl; The Slider with some great cover pics done by Ringo Starr

According to Tony Visconti,

The cover credits Ringo Starr as the photographer of the front and back covers, when in fact Marc handed me his motorized Nikon
and asked me to fire off two rolls of black and white film while we were on the set of "Born To Boogie". Ringo, the director of the film, was busy all day lining up shots.
But Marc apparently saw a photo "credit" opportunity and gave Ringo the credit for the photos.
Months later when Marc was going over contact sheets I recognized my photos and blurted, "I took these!"
Marc said, "Cool, just initial the ones you took and I'll give you credit on the sleeve if I use them." winking smiley

Thanks for the info and its not very respectable if you don't get the credit.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 18, 2013 19:05

alimente
Come On

But that would be a valid point for nearly every charts single ever released, including Presley, Dylan, Beatles, Stones.

True, so now I'm mostly into Hard-Bop-Jazz and Hard-core Stones-music like 'Undercover'...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Des ()
Date: January 18, 2013 21:22

I recall the beatles being on the top of the heap never realy commented on other bands to the press. However I do recall them coming out in support of T Rex as a band to watch out for. Love them still.

Posted by: tornnfrayed ()
Date: January 19, 2013 04:40

Marc Bolan was great ! That song always takes me back to 1972

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 19, 2013 21:59

Been listening to T.Rex quite a bit recently. Definitely one of the very hottest British acts circa 1971-73. They churned out after hit with magical 45's like Get It On, Telegram Sam, Solid Gold Easy Action and 20th Century Boy. Bolan was a genuine pop-star for sure.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 19, 2013 22:44

I saw them about 20 times, but it was the original Tyrannosaurus Rex I loved--I kept going to see them after the electric band evolved, and they were fun, but it was never the same for me. I adored their first couple of albums, and seeing them in little clubs.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 19, 2013 22:47

I've got to be honest: T-rex do nothing for me.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 19, 2013 22:58

Seems a lot of songs are not available anymore on this thread....................

Here you go can't keep your feet still

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: September 19, 2013 22:59

Once I was a fan.
'til I realized Electric Warrior isn't that good besides the singles.
And that's for every T-Rex album I own.

Also Tony Visconti's book gave me the impression that Bolan was a pretentious prick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-19 23:18 by BowieStone.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 19, 2013 23:02

Not at the moment really.

Date: September 19, 2013 23:43

Not my cup of tea...

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 20, 2013 00:38

BowieStone
Once I was a fan.

Also Tony Visconti's book gave me the impression that Bolan was a pretentious prick.

Your right BowieStone I'm more a singles fan then then a LP fan..........as for the pretentious prick 90% of the artist are pretentious prick's grinning smiley

Date: September 20, 2013 01:09

BowieStone
Once I was a fan.

I'll agree with you regarding his albums. I don't own them, but Bolan is mainly revered for the string of terrific singles he released. He adored being the pop-star, being at No.1 and appearing on Top of The Pops. I don't think his artistic thoughts ran too much deeper. His star was only destined to shine for a brief while, but when it did, he was pretty damn good.

I don't know whether he was a prick or not. I don't think it matters.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: September 20, 2013 02:04

I do love me some "Telegram Sam"

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 20, 2013 02:48

I heard Bolan was dyslexia. His wife June helped alot.
His lyrics were the gift of creation.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: September 20, 2013 03:02

Toru A
I heard Bolan was dyslexia. His wife June helped alot.
His lyrics were the gift of creation.

i.e. "Telegram Sam , You're my main man."

Date: September 20, 2013 04:29

A terrific BBC 4 documentary on Marc Bolan and T.Rex :-

Posted by: oma ()
Date: September 20, 2013 10:23

the first thing i got in mind is the guitarsound which was copied from the stones - mick taylore for "it's only R'R".
thomas

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: September 20, 2013 11:16

Well MT and Marc both played '59 LP bursts.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: September 20, 2013 11:44

Big Al

I don't know whether he was a prick or not. I don't think it matters.

I'm not too sure about that.
Can you name me one of your favorite artists you can't stand?

I can't listen to The Kinks anymore after I have seen Ray Davies in concert.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 20, 2013 11:56

Marc is best remembered for his great songwriting and general flambuoyancy as the first glam rock star but he was also a great guitarist. Very minimalistic in his approach but with his satyle rooted in blues and rock'n'roll.

That doesn't always come through because of the power of his songs but anyone interested in hearing his greatest guitar album should check out T. Rex from 1971.

Not one hit on it but perhaps all the better for it. The standouts are Jewel, The Wizard and the Jimmy Reed inspired Beltane Walk. Fabulous stuff.

Date: September 20, 2013 13:08

oma
the first thing i got in mind is the guitarsound which was copied from the stones - mick taylore for "it's only R'R".
thomas

Taylor didn't play on it, though...

Date: September 20, 2013 20:08

BowieStone
[
I'm not too sure about that.
Can you name me one of your favorite artists you can't stand?

I can't listen to The Kinks anymore after I have seen Ray Davies in concert.

Ok, perhaps. I was going to suggest Brian Jones as an example of an artist I like musically, but cannot stand as a person. My impression of him is one of a weak, pathetic, woman-beating alcohol-dependent who could be a thoroughly nasty so-and-so. I overlook these misdemeanors as I enjoy his musical contributions. If Jones were the front-man, however, perhaps I wouldn't be listening to the Rolling Stones. Maybe it'd be to much.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: September 20, 2013 23:12

Marc's best work, for me, was when he was on the threshold of stardom, namely the albums, A BEARD OF STARS, TREX, and ELECTRIC WARRIOR. This late Tyrannousaurus Rex/early TRex period was when he was becoming more accessible than those very early albums, certainly within his own folk styled, early more mystical style. Those albums stand the test of time extremely well. I sense as soon as he had found fame (and beginning with THE SLIDER), unashamedly, show biz very much became the name of the game, and pretty much everything he did was designed purely as a vehicle to line his own pockets, and keep his face in the limelight. His music fundamentally lost its last remnants of the hippy mysticism (which perhaps wasn't a bad thing back in 1972), and everything became stripped to its lowest common denominator, meaning in other words, his music became increasingly formulaic, in a pure pop sensibility. However, if it's hit singles you are after, Marc was still very much in his element, and arguably, despite the odd mediocre offering along the way, he never lost the ability to write a great hit single. For me, this alone places Marc as one of the truly great artists. He was definitely very unique, in many ways. Certainly, he had a most unusual voice, he could write some very odd (and interesting) poetry, and also he was an exceptionally good guitarist (even if he was a little limited).

If there is one album of his i'd recommend it would be A BEARD OF STARS, followed by those two albums i previously mentioned, TREX, and ELECTRIC WARRIOR and a BEST OF compilation, covering all the singles (and album highlights) leading up to his death in 1977. Marc never lost the knack of writing a great tune, right up until his death. However, sometimes with his later albums, you had to wade through a sea of mediocrity, to get to them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-20 23:15 by Edward Twining.

Date: September 20, 2013 23:29

Terrific post, Edward. Personally, it's his pop sensibilities that appeal to me the most. I particularly enjoy the instant satisfaction felt with tracks like Get It On and 20th Century Boy. They're boisterous, clap-a-long, feel-good smashes. It's radio-friendly pop at it's very best. Formulaic some of it may be, but it's dam god fun. Some of his music is rather clever, too, though. Listen to his first single, The Wizard, issued originally in 1965. Yes, like Bowie, he too was a 60's leftover!

Date: September 20, 2013 23:32

Actually, The Wizard is pretty far-out and certainly original. It would have truly stuck-out amongst releases from his contemporaries if the record-buying public had made it a 'hit', which it deserved to be, in my opinion

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1787
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home