Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: Any thoughts on Marc Bolan and his music?
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 3, 2012 22:44

I light up for "Bang a Gong" among others.
Marc was an innovative cat.

Re: OT: Any thoughts on Marc Bolan and his music?
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 3, 2012 22:47

I like most of his stuff.

Gone WAY too soon.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: May 3, 2012 22:50

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-03 22:51 by lettingitbleed.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: May 3, 2012 22:51

Agree with Edith Grove. Not much more to add to that other than to say Mambo Sun is the sexiest rock song ever recorded.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 3, 2012 23:04

I love this band (the Bolan guy).........brought some great fibe to R&R .................

Were is this great fan of the this band...........CindyC?

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 3, 2012 23:24

stonesrule, so glad you posted this topic!

I know next to nothing about Marc Bolan and/or T-Rex--a real gap in my musical/historical
knowledge---guess that's one of the cool things about life: there's always stuff we don't
know and we still get to learn about!

With that said, just last night(!) I came upon this for free on Hulu, and bookmarked
it to watch tonight. Have no idea whether it's great or shite or something in between smiling smiley

video: [www.hulu.com]

Sorry for the people who might not be able to see this. Here's the deets:

Title
T.Rex: Inside (2012)

Runtime
59 min.

Studio
CODA BOOKS

Description
Drawing on extensive rare archive footage of T-Rex, this ground breaking two disc set covers the entire recording career of the band. We also discover the power of T-Rex on stage as we review the surviving footage of the amazing live concert performances. In the company of a leading team of critics, former T-Rex members Bill Legend and Paul Fenton and the legendary BP Fallon, the original “purple browed beep”, this a rare opportunity to experience once again the greatness of the work Marc Bolan and discover the brilliance of T-Rex in full song.

It also appears to be on youtube (again--sorry for those who cannot get it in your country).
Here is Part 1!

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: May 3, 2012 23:27

To me when I look at the "Bang a gong" video (The one with Elton) Everyone looks so dated except Marc Bolan. He has a timeless rock star look that could easily be accepted now. You really can't say that about many others. No doubt he IMO is the most androgynous performers of all time, not just in appearance but also in delivery.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: May 3, 2012 23:46

Loved Bolan. Gutted when he died. I blamed Gloria for years.

To be fair he wasn't consistently great and had a weak few albums which meant he lost a lot of his audience. However, his last album was a real improvement and he was on the way back.

He made some classics and Electric Warrior and Slider are essential purchases.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: May 3, 2012 23:52

Children of the revolution with Elton and Ringo is great too.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 4, 2012 00:12

Brilliant...especially the early Tyranorsaurus Rex recordings...another Chuck Berry disciple. Agree about Mambo Sun, as funky as. In fact Swiss a good place to start would be to get hold of 'Electric Warrior' his best electric recording in my opinion.

Date: May 4, 2012 00:13

After the Stones I would say it is T Rex /Bolan that I have the most recordings by. Bolan was deceptive; much better than at first pass. Lyrically, vocally, as guitarist and as writer.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: May 4, 2012 00:41

Bolan was really great, and for those who don't know this music I would seriously recommend checking out the catalogue. Thanks Swiss for posting the video. Good to see T Rex/Bolan resurrected here. Excellent OT subject.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: May 4, 2012 00:55

HA - I'm listening to Marc right now actually!

I love Till Dawn from Bolan's Zip Gun. I know it didn't get great reviews, but I bought this album a few months ago, and have been listening to it fairly consistently (ok, there's a few songs I have to skip, but there's some nice stuff too).

Mambo Sun -swoon! So sexy.

I also love Lady and Baby Strange off of Slider.

I definitely find his voice and music sexy, but not him. I'm not crazy about his look.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: May 4, 2012 00:57

NICOS
I love this band (the Bolan guy).........brought some great fibe to R&R .................

Were is this great fan of the this band...........CindyC?

Here I am NICOS! A big hello to you!

Date: May 4, 2012 00:59

Oh CindyC...oh girl!

Guess you just think Bolan was too well coiffed as compared to KR!

Date: May 4, 2012 01:01

HAHAH - yeah I dunno what it is. I do think i prefer straight-haired guys for some reason. I don't particularly like long hair on guys, even Keith.

Date: May 4, 2012 03:06

Hey Cindy, have you seen Patti's handbags on Home Shopping?
You can look online. Think she will be back in a few weeks

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: May 4, 2012 03:09

T-Rex was a timeless and brilliant band. Marc checked out way too soon.

CBII

Date: May 4, 2012 06:20

a great talent with a unique sound

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: May 4, 2012 09:02

Not a single day passes by without listening Bang a Gong in Japan because TV runs commercials of Johnny Depp's Dark Shadows.

Cross Beat- May, 2012 - a memorial issue for Ziggy Stardust and Electric Warrior.

I think his guitar sound should be reappraised.

The Prettiest Star - original version - not Rono on guitar, it's Marc.

Bolan's boogie!

I still don't believe Marc Bolan played the guitar on this.eye popping smiley

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: May 4, 2012 11:03

I have everything up to and including Bolan's Zip Gun. The creative peak was from Unicorn to The Slider for me but Tanx and Zinc Alloy are underrated. Lyrically I appreciate him more as the years go on. I remember he always claimed to be a poet and I would agree with that.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: May 4, 2012 11:36

My absolute favorite artist. Have listened to his records for nearly 40 years. Marc had it all really - superb songwriter, great guitarist (although not in a technical sense) and unique singer. For two years or so he walked on water and was at that time (at least in England) far bigger than the Beatles ever were.

Date: May 4, 2012 11:43

Toru A

I believe Tina Turner confirmed in an interview that Marc played on that track. He also played on Sexy Ida Part 2. He was once asked what he was looking forward to when he got hit records and he said it was the chance to meet Tina Turner.

Date: May 4, 2012 11:53

rebelrebel
I have everything up to and including Bolan's Zip Gun. The creative peak was from Unicorn to The Slider for me but Tanx and Zinc Alloy are underrated. Lyrically I appreciate him more as the years go on. I remember he always claimed to be a poet and I would agree with that.

i also like zinc alloy. good luck if you ever want to dive into unreleased t. rex music. there are alternate takes/demos of basically every song from every album and then tons of compilations of unreleased tunes bolan was working on.

Date: May 4, 2012 12:32

terraplane
Toru A

I believe Tina Turner confirmed in an interview that Marc played on that track. He also played on Sexy Ida Part 2. He was once asked what he was looking forward to when he got hit records and he said it was the chance to meet Tina Turner.

Thanks terraplane.

Is Tina confirmed?
I can't trust Gloria Jones, but I believe in Tina.smiling smiley

Date: May 4, 2012 12:55

Well Bolan lived in LA at the time. Gloria Jones had sung backing vocals with Tina Turner. Tina apparently confirmed it in a '70s BBC radio interview. I remember hearing about it way back then. Bolan mentions in an interview playing Jeepster to Ike Turner and Ike saying it was like classical music.

Date: May 4, 2012 13:02

terraplane
Well Bolan lived in LA at the time. Gloria Jones had sung backing vocals with Tina Turner. Tina apparently confirmed it in a '70s BBC radio interview. I remember hearing about it way back then. Bolan mentions in an interview playing Jeepster to Ike Turner and Ike saying it was like classical music.

classical like beethoven and bach?

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 4, 2012 16:20

I like some of his songs but generally . . no.
You know that Keith hated him? Try N.Kents book about his car ride with Keith. Keith jumped out of the car to kick a newspaper stand with Bolan on cover . .

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 4, 2012 17:08

This is just a fantastic album.

Pure magic.

Date: May 4, 2012 17:24

GravityBoy
This is just a fantastic album.

Pure magic.

Vampower The T-Rex Stack!

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2082
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home