Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 59
Re: Mick Jagger to Host, Perform on 'Saturday Night Live' Season Finale May 19
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 5, 2012 00:11

71Tele
If after all the excitement and speculation of all the Stones (plus Mick Taylor) being in town, playing together, etc. it turns out that Mick just performs solo on SNL, it will be the world's biggest boner-killer.

I had a different reaction... but to each his own I suppose.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 5, 2012 00:14

schillid
71Tele
If after all the excitement and speculation of all the Stones (plus Mick Taylor) being in town, playing together, etc. it turns out that Mick just performs solo on SNL, it will be the world's biggest boner-killer.

I had a different reaction... but to each his own I suppose.

Speaking purely metaphorically, of course.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: May 5, 2012 00:21

I agree with Bob C- a surprise walk on by Keith to do a song together to show solidarity would be awesome, but you know Mick's still gonna do something he feels is more hip musically as the opportunity is too big

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 5, 2012 00:28

71Tele
I can tell you this: If after all the excitement and speculation of all the Stones (plus Mick Taylor) being in town, playing together, etc. it turns out that Mick just performs solo on SNL, it will be the world's biggest boner-killer.
Pretty much yeah. But on the other hand,if it is a full band performance,but they don't tour until next year. That's a whole lot of wasted time and free publicity.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 5, 2012 02:18

How about Mick hosts/performs and Charlie, Ronnie, MT and Keith appear in the skits!? Hard to imagine they all won't do one song together, as a BAND!

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 5, 2012 02:32

proudmary
TeddyB1018
Mick will do a sketch song with Frec Armisen and Bill Hader playing the Queen and Prince Phillip. No plans as of now for the Stones to appear but I don't know who Mick does plan to perform with. The original plan was for him to host only.

Thanks for info, Teddy
but I'm thinking - if the original plan did not include for Mick to sing, maybe the plans changed just for the Stones perform together?
Could it be?

I don't know. As of today the cast of SNL does not expect the Stones but neither do they know what Mick's plans are in terms of musical performance.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 5, 2012 02:53

I'm not expecting any type of Rolling Stones performance, but...

Maybe Mick will use the opportunity to announce the 50th anniversary tour.
And out strolls Keith, Charlie, and Ronnie to thunderous applause at the end of show.

Date: May 5, 2012 03:30

Mick is definitely in stealth mode

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-05 05:19 by chelskeith.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 5, 2012 04:05

Cocaine Eyes
71Tele
tatters
Cocaine Eyes
I'm in Toronto so this doesn't apply to me, but I was thinking - how would one get in to see Jagger on SNL? Tickets? Line-ups? Wristbands? Finding a reasonable scalper? Bribery? Thievery? Storm the doors? What?

A friend of mine saw a SNL once. I think she said she just asked for tickets and then got put on a waiting list for a couple years. I don't think she got to choose the show she wanted to see. She got to see the show they sent her tickets for.
yes, that's exactly how it works.

OK, thanks for the info. So, the audience will be hand-picked. You know, Bill Clinton, Martin Scorcese, all their NYC friends.smoking smiley

No, it's not hand-picked. If you requested SNL tickets a couple years ago and you happened to be next up on the waiting list when they were mailing out tickets for this particular show, you luck out. Most likely, the people who will be at the Mick Jagger show received their tickets before they even knew who the guest host or musical performer would be. Odds are, many of them aren't even Stones fans. Who knows, a few of them might even be tempted to sell their tickets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-05 04:07 by tatters.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 5, 2012 04:20

tatters
Cocaine Eyes
71Tele
tatters
Cocaine Eyes
I'm in Toronto so this doesn't apply to me, but I was thinking - how would one get in to see Jagger on SNL? Tickets? Line-ups? Wristbands? Finding a reasonable scalper? Bribery? Thievery? Storm the doors? What?

A friend of mine saw a SNL once. I think she said she just asked for tickets and then got put on a waiting list for a couple years. I don't think she got to choose the show she wanted to see. She got to see the show they sent her tickets for.

OK, thanks for the info. So, the audience will be hand-picked. You know, Bill Clinton, Martin Scorcese, all their NYC friends.smoking smiley

No, it's not hand-picked. If you requested SNL tickets a couple years ago and you happened to be next up on the waiting list when they were mailing out tickets for this particular show, you luck out. Most likely, the people who will be at the Mick Jagger show received their tickets before they even knew who the guest host or musical performer would be. Odds are, many of them aren't even Stones fans. Who knows, a few of them might even be tempted to sell their tickets.

That's right...all these shows issue tickets for free to people who write in and request the, The audiences are completely random.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 5, 2012 04:20

You have to ask yourself .... What would give Lorne Michaels the bigger hard on? Would it be to have the Rolling Stones perform on his show for the first time in 34 years? Or would it be something pathetic and lame, like having Macca show up, so that Mick and Paul, and maybe a couple SNL "legends" like Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin can appear together in some painfully awkward skit. I pray that I'm wrong, but I really think the second possibility is far more likely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-05 04:23 by tatters.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 5, 2012 04:55

the set up is perfect for a Rolling Stones performance..last show of the season...NBC/Univrsal tie in and the launch of the Rolling Stones press machine army.....on 50 years.

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: May 5, 2012 07:17

They could have a L'Wren on stilts standing next to Mick, trying to appear shorter...They could have a Keith come out with a huge "package"...They could have Mick playing a priest preaching the opposite of what he does...They could have Dr Phil doing a session w/ Mick and Keith....They could have Mick as the World's Greatest Lover....etc,etc (fun to imagine...)

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 5, 2012 07:26

I just wonder if this could all be a lot of hoopla over a misunderstanding. Mick will only be hosting. Not performing. He feeds his ego that way and doesn't step on any Stones toes.

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: May 5, 2012 07:46

Usually the host doesn't do the music portion.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 5, 2012 08:05

tatters
You have to ask yourself .... What would give Lorne Michaels the bigger hard on? Would it be to have the Rolling Stones perform on his show for the first time in 34 years? Or would it be something pathetic and lame, like having Macca show up, so that Mick and Paul, and maybe a couple SNL "legends" like Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin can appear together in some painfully awkward skit. I pray that I'm wrong, but I really think the second possibility is far more likely.

You may well be right.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 5, 2012 10:54

TeddyB1018
I don't know. As of today the cast of SNL does not expect the Stones but neither do they know what Mick's plans are in terms of musical performance.

Thanks Teddy

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: May 5, 2012 11:27

TeddyB1018
tatters

You may well be right.

Tatters may be right about what happens (though I doubt it, because Mick will be
shooting for excellence) but no way is Tatters right about what would give Lorne
Michaels a bigger hardon. But (sadly) business is business, and the Stones are
not really a big part of Universal's future plans, whereas Jagger is.

(In my superheavy opinion)

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 5, 2012 12:08

superrevvy
. But (sadly) business is business, and the Stones are
not really a big part of Universal's future plans, whereas Jagger is.

(In my superheavy opinion)

Hmmm... this remark/prediction makes me think that maybe the reason why Keith seemed to stuck so much to the premises of the 80's in LIFE is that he also sees the same phenomenen happening again... So LIFE was Keith's defensive reaction, and he wants to sapotage Jagger's solo chances by reminding thd world how awful he is without Keith and the Stones... "Don't forget the 80's!" - yeah, Keith, we almost did... grinning smiley

Besides Jagger's only substantive remark about LIFE was about the 80's...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-05 12:09 by Doxa.

Date: May 5, 2012 12:19

SuperHeavy was a one-off - it´s gone, buried and forgotten.

Date: May 5, 2012 12:23

Is there a way to watch SNL live on the internet ?
There is no way for me to watch it on Dutch TV.

-------------------

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: May 5, 2012 12:28

Is there a way to watch SNL live on the internet ?

NBC is really a problem when you are overseas. They block all kinds of things
to non-American audiences, even when they put them on the internet.

There are two possibilities: 1) The Jagger team has negotiated non-blocking,
because they want a worldwide audience, or 2) Find an illegal download.

Date: May 5, 2012 12:31

superrevvy
NBC is really a problem when you are overseas.

Thanks for your answer. It's very clear.

-------------------

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: May 5, 2012 13:35

I'm 90% convinced that this is going to be nothing short of a showcase/kickoff of the Rolling Stones 50th Anniversary and the Stones will kick it off in grand style with a live surprise appearance on SNL that will have the media buzzing for days.

Look at the facts

- All of the Rolling Stones are in in NYC
- The Rolling Stones are recording/jamming in a studio in NY as I type.
- SNL is obviously shot in NYC
- Mick Jagger has no solo work to promote, but will be performing. There is no other musical guest booked that week.
- The Stones record company is owned by NBC where SNL airs.
- This is the season ending show for SNL. They would like to end the year with a bang as well as enjoy all the publicity a Rolling Stones surprise appearance would deliver.
- Besides being friends with Jagger SNL creator Lorne Michaels is a huge fan of the classic bands...Don't forget it was Micheals who nearly got John Lennon and Paul McCartney to show up and play in the mid 70's with his now legendary $500 offer (or whatever it was) for the Beatles to reunite on SNL. If he had gotten John and Paul to show up that night rock history would most likely be very different today. Michaels aims high. He came the closest to actually delivering a Beatles reunion...I'm convinced that the idea of having the Rolling Stones on his season ending show at the very least has crossed his mind.
- Something is brewing with the Stones. They are currently playing together and rumors of some type of tour are everywhere even in the mainstream media.

Beyond that what is the alternative? Will Jagger play solo tunes with a one off band? Will he play classic Stones songs with another band? How lame would that be.

I could very well be wrong, but all signs are pointing towards the Rolling Stones showing up and playing 3 or 4 songs in what would essentially be the kickoff of their media machine for their their 50th Anniversary.

My prediction for May 19th goes something like this...Ladies and Gentlemen..."Live from New York...The Rolling Stones"

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: May 5, 2012 13:59

... Please allow me to introduce myself ...

grinning smiley

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: May 5, 2012 14:32

tatters
Cocaine Eyes
71Tele
tatters
Cocaine Eyes

OK, thanks. I understand. My thinking was that for THIS show, SNL might not mail out tickets at random. They might want a more controlled audience.

However, if they do mail out tickets for this show as you said, I'm certain there will be some people wanting to scalp.....er, SELL the tickets.grinning smiley

Date: May 5, 2012 14:41

Is it possible this is the end of SNL as so many cast members are leaving they've decided to call it quits, and the big surprise is that?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-20 05:31 by chelskeith.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 5, 2012 15:39

Act 1 Scene 1:

with the lights dimmed...unable to make out figures on a bed we see a rustling of the sheets on a big ornate bed....Jagger appears out from the sheets and says..
"was it as good as you remembered it?"......camera slowly focuses on the other person laying in bed and out pops David Bowie...."Live from New York...it's Saturday Night!"

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 5, 2012 15:54

The more I think about this, the more excited I get.
Waaaaaaaaaaaayyy loooking forward to it.... glad it is only 2 weeks

Date: May 5, 2012 16:08

I just can't imagine Jagger going up there with Dave Stewart or a Blues band with the actual Stones in town, and this being a crucial time and year for them. It be perfect and huge; would probably outshine the 5th Avenue announcement.

On the other hand I can imagine Keith and Charlie and Ron saying "look you go out there and make a splash for us"
Ron is scheduled for as 26th gig at some Blues festivus.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 59

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2004
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home