Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 59
Re: Mick Jagger to Host, Perform on 'Saturday Night Live' Season Finale May 19
Posted by: rogue ()
Date: May 4, 2012 13:15

Ok, I am dazed and confused from reading all this.
The very smart move for them I play live on national TV with a huge audience and surprise the he'll out of everybody. Then the doubts about feuds, fingers, drink and age will be dispelled and the show can roll on.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: May 4, 2012 15:30

I just cannot see the Stones performing on the show. At their peak - they could be horrendous if they were rusty. At this stage of the game - it will take more than a few sessions to ready that boat. If they could pull it off - it would be great television. Somewhere I can hear Gazza saying they typically don't fair well on live television.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 4, 2012 15:40

Its only a couple of songs, though. It's hardly beyond them to manage THAT with a few days rehearsals.

And actually, SNL '78 apart (solely due to Mick's voice - the band's performance was fine), they've generally been pretty good on the few occasions when they do live TV, be it a PPV or a guest appearance.

Who could forget that explosive 10 minutes at the MTV VMA's in 1994?

Date: May 4, 2012 15:45

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Keith lost his balls? He invited to rehearsal, now the snowball is rolling.

Well, that is how he presented the three-day jam, and I am not quite convinced what was the actual deal there. Anyway, even if that Keith version hold true, it sounds like he had the responsibility to show that he can still make it, get the band together, and especially convince Jagger of his good will.., But that rehearsal set the snowball rolling? I don't think so. It is about a year when Jagger already said that the people will be exhausted for Stones stuff after this year. I think he pretty well knew what will or might happen this year (or so). I interpret the London-jam as a move within an alraedy skectched plan. Maybe it was Keith's duty to arrange it in the 'big' skectchy plan.

But as far the jam goes - or the studio sessions soon - sometimes I feel like the hungry and eager Stones fans are so pleased to hear anything 'positive', that some kind or reality check is needed sometimes (and people like Keith and Ronnie are too tempted to resist to not tell the wanted thing, even if there is no actual substance). These guys have been pro musician for their entire lifes, and spent years in studio, stages and, jams and rehaersals or wherever making and living music. For them to take three days of their lifes and jam together is not such a big deal that music history is immedietily written. Actually it sounds absurd that a semi-retired musician makes a public announcement (well, that what it is if one is interviewed to the biggest music magazine in the world) that he is going to jam three days with his old pals. A wonder he didn't invite Queen to wittness this Miracle - that as DandelioPowdeerman seems to indicate is a not just a proof of Keith's dedication and hard labour but of leadership over the Rolling Stones too... smiling bouncing smiley)

It is great that Keith is sober, and perhaps that actually explains his recent (good) behavior. I hope he had been sober while "wrote" the book. I wish to have read that book. And even more, to hear some more notes from his guitar...

- Doxa

Why wouldn't you believe the info Gazza provided?

Gazza
Further to the 'London Jam didn't happen' doubters...

One of the guys who gave me the info read this thread and asked me to pass on the following :

You can tell these disbelievers that it took place in a studio bang next door to The 606 club in Lots road Chelsea, the place is/was (think it might have moved now) run by Jeremy Stacey, drummer with the High Flying Birds amongst others. It wasn't a cynical get together to benefit the documentary, it wasn't even filmed!!! It was 100% Keith's idea and came as a total surprise to the others who all had other plans, I think the line he put out about it being a 'magnet' for Mick is just about right.

Someone said on the thread that they couldn't have done the jam without their usual technicians, well they did, No Pierre (think he's doing the NY thing though) & No Dave Rouze, they used 1 local guitar tech and a studio engineer, very un-Stones like I know, I think it was a huge shock to those guys who've always had the gig since Steel Wheels. I believe the thinking was that it was not worth flying them in (first class) for just a few days. As for Ben Waters, everyone in the band who has played with him or heard him has been impressed and also I think there is something Stu like about him that they like and of course they needed/wanted a piano player and they were not going to pay for Chuck!

The current get-together is a band decision - unlike the London one, which was Keith's.

A quick google search indicates that Jeremy Stacy does indeed have a studio at Lots Road, Chelsea called Snake Ranch.

Wyman has previously used this studio in late 2000 and early 2003 for sessions with The Rhythm Kings.

Posted by: njlstones815 ()
Date: May 4, 2012 15:52

The host doesn't always perform as well ,but I'm there!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 4, 2012 15:59

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Well, that is how he presented the three-day jam, and I am not quite convinced what was the actual deal there. Anyway, even if that Keith version hold true, it sounds like he had the responsibility to show that he can still make it, get the band together, and especially convince Jagger of his good will.., But that rehearsal set the snowball rolling? I don't think so. It is about a year when Jagger already said that the people will be exhausted for Stones stuff after this year. I think he pretty well knew what will or might happen this year (or so). I interpret the London-jam as a move within an alraedy skectched plan. Maybe it was Keith's duty to arrange it in the 'big' skectchy plan.

But as far the jam goes - or the studio sessions soon - sometimes I feel like the hungry and eager Stones fans are so pleased to hear anything 'positive', that some kind or reality check is needed sometimes (and people like Keith and Ronnie are too tempted to resist to not tell the wanted thing, even if there is no actual substance). These guys have been pro musician for their entire lifes, and spent years in studio, stages and, jams and rehaersals or wherever making and living music. For them to take three days of their lifes and jam together is not such a big deal that music history is immedietily written. Actually it sounds absurd that a semi-retired musician makes a public announcement (well, that what it is if one is interviewed to the biggest music magazine in the world) that he is going to jam three days with his old pals. A wonder he didn't invite Queen to wittness this Miracle - that as DandelioPowdeerman seems to indicate is a not just a proof of Keith's dedication and hard labour but of leadership over the Rolling Stones too... smiling bouncing smiley)

It is great that Keith is sober, and perhaps that actually explains his recent (good) behavior. I hope he had been sober while "wrote" the book. I wish to have read that book. And even more, to hear some more notes from his guitar...

- Doxa

Gazza

One of the guys who gave me the info read this thread and asked me to pass on the following :

You can tell these disbelievers that it took place in a studio bang next door to The 606 club in Lots road Chelsea, the place is/was (think it might have moved now) run by Jeremy Stacey, drummer with the High Flying Birds amongst others. It wasn't a cynical get together to benefit the documentary, it wasn't even filmed!!! It was 100% Keith's idea and came as a total surprise to the others who all had other plans, I think the line he put out about it being a 'magnet' for Mick is just about right.

Someone said on the thread that they couldn't have done the jam without their usual technicians, well they did, No Pierre (think he's doing the NY thing though) & No Dave Rouze, they used 1 local guitar tech and a studio engineer, very un-Stones like I know, I think it was a huge shock to those guys who've always had the gig since Steel Wheels. I believe the thinking was that it was not worth flying them in (first class) for just a few days. As for Ben Waters, everyone in the band who has played with him or heard him has been impressed and also I think there is something Stu like about him that they like and of course they needed/wanted a piano player and they were not going to pay for Chuck!

The current get-together is a band decision - unlike the London one, which was Keith's.

A quick google search indicates that Jeremy Stacy does indeed have a studio at Lots Road, Chelsea called Snake Ranch.

Wyman has previously used this studio in late 2000 and early 2003 for sessions with The Rhythm Kings.

Hey, I have never doubted that the (playing) session didn't happen, but of its nature (was it totally Keith's "magnet" idea or arranged for a documentary, etc,). This quote by Gazza is news to me - it seemingly is from the "Stones are in New York" thread I just started to read (since 1st of May party I've been... hmm a bit out..grinning smiley).

Well, that the letter from "inside" does not give much options of its nature. And it fits pretty well to my speculations - and I actually took Keith's 'official version' as a starting point for my interpretation...winking smiley

And generally, who am I to doubt Gazza's words...eye popping smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-04 16:06 by Doxa.

Date: May 4, 2012 16:04

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

Gazza

Hey, I have never doubted that the (playing) session didn't happen, but of its nature (was it totally Keith's "magnet" idea or arranged for a documentary, etc,). This quote by Gazza is news to me - it seemingly is from the "Stones are in New York" thread I just started to read (since 1st of May party I've been... hmm a bit out..grinning smiley).

Well, that the letter from "inside" does not give much options of its nature. And it fits pretty well to my speculations...winking smiley

And generally, who am I to doubt Gazza's words...eye popping smiley

- Doxa

Ha ha, I forgot that you Finns really let it loose during the May 1st grinning smiley Good one?

However, read the info from the insider again. It says: "100% Keith's idea", "the magnet description is just about right" and "It was Keith's decision"

"that as DandelioPowdeerman seems to indicate is a not just a proof of Keith's dedication and hard labour but of leadership over the Rolling Stones too..."

LOL! I just said he wasn't softening up, or something smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-04 16:10 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: May 4, 2012 16:18

The writers must be having a tough time focusing on this weeks show when the possibilities of skits that roast Keith keep popping in their heads- could this be Micks payback to Keith?

As an English gentleman, he'll take the high road and not allow the skits to blast Keith too much, but by not bringing the Stones with him to SNL, that alone will be enough to get Keith's blood flowing, and especially when he plays with the kind of people that must still bug Keith to no end.

Whomever the current Chemical Bros are, I'm guessing is who he plays with, and something centered around the song "Mo-ew-ew-oo-oo-ooves like Jagger" must me on the script somewhere, and I'll bet they have him stuff it real big at some point in the show.

Interesting thing will be how do they make fun of Keith? Drugged out jokes? That's lame.

Date: May 4, 2012 16:31

DandelionPowderman
Ha ha, I forgot that you Finns really let it loose during the May 1st grinning smiley Good one?

However, read the info from the insider again. It says: "100% Keith's idea", "the magnet description is just about right" and "It was Keith's decision"

Hmm... coming to my senses (okay, okay, it's all relative...) but yeah, it was a good one...

Check my edits to my post - I have always speculated that as a starting point, and I don't have any reasons to doubt why it wasn't Keith brain child 100%. I just saw it also possible that it might have some other motives as well.

But in any case, I see that as Keith's move he needed to do in order to make anything possible. To me it sounds like that he has something to prove for Jagger now. That he still somehow 'has it' and is able to take responsibilities. And Jagger makes decisions from that base (if he feels like doing anything with Keith any longer; is he able to count on him musically, socially, etc). Or something like that. Even the idea of setting "magnet" sounds that Richards is very insecure of having real effect upon or power over the other guy(s). The time when sending faxes - stating "be there or you are out" - was enough, is over.

Anyway, of course I'd love to believe this all will lead to marvellous results (or at least to something in terms of recordings or live performances). I think you agree with me with that... But if the speed is what it is now, it will be 60th Anniversary when the old diesel motor is finally running steadily again... if anything, one result of December session was that 2012 performances were out of question, and now it is 2013 in their talks now. They are really taking small steps at the moment, and I think whatever the results will be, they are not similar to anything we have used to (in my case, that is probably not a bad thing at all).

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-04 16:37 by Doxa.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 4, 2012 16:50

I just hope I can stay up late enough to see this.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 4, 2012 17:00

DVR, baby.
DVR.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: May 4, 2012 17:08

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Hmm... coming to my senses (okay, okay, it's all relative...) but yeah, it was a good one...

Check my edits to my post - I have always speculated that as a starting point, and I don't have any reasons to doubt why it wasn't Keith brain child 100%. I just saw it also possible that it might have some other motives as well.

But in any case, I see that as Keith's move he needed to do in order to make anything possible. To me it sounds like that he has something to prove for Jagger now. That he still somehow 'has it' and is able to take responsibilities. And Jagger makes decisions from that base (if he feels like doing anything with Keith any longer; is he able to count on him musically, socially, etc). Or something like that. Even the idea of setting "magnet" sounds that Richards is very insecure of having real effect upon or power over the other guy(s). The time when sending faxes - stating "be there or you are out" - was enough, is over.

Anyway, of course I'd love to believe this all will lead to marvellous results (or at least to something in terms of recordings or live performances). I think you agree with me with that... But if the speed is what it is now, it will be 60th Anniversary when the old diesel motor is finally running steadily again... if anything, one result of December session was that 2012 performances were out of question, and now it is 2013 in their talks now. They are really taking small steps at the moment, and I think whatever the results will be, they are not similar to anything we have used to (in my case, that is probably not a bad thing at all).

- Doxa

Power over the other guys? why would he have power over them?
I don´t see calling the other bandmembers (or let somebody call them) as such a great deed that he needs such admiration for that.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 4, 2012 17:10

chelskeith
The writers must be having a tough time focusing on this weeks show when the possibilities of skits that roast Keith keep popping in their heads- could this be Micks payback to Keith?

Interesting thing will be how do they make fun of Keith? Drugged out jokes? That's lame.

It's been done already:

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: May 4, 2012 17:46

andrewt
chelskeith

It's been done already:

One devastating wrinkle on this bit would be for Mick to play Keith
while playing guitar. But I don't think that will happen. I don't think
Mick will allow for any mockery of Keith on this show. Any mention of the Stones
will be positive. On the other hand, SuperHeavy and/or Stones fans (especially
crazy ones like me) might be the butt of a joke or two.

Date: May 4, 2012 17:58

elunsi
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

Power over the other guys? why would he have power over them?
I don´t see calling the other bandmembers (or let somebody call them) as such a great deed that he needs such admiration for that.

Well, I read LIFE and there the man stated that he is "natural leader", and if he had been a soldier, he would have been a general. What he learned from Boy Scouts was basically the skills needed to run a rock band.

Well, that is what he says... Of course, in a perfect democratic society as The Rolling Stones, a group of of altruistic equals, there never been any power struggles, no egos hurt, no blades shown, etc. >grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 4, 2012 18:15

Gazza

Wasn´t Sprinsteen billed after them as closing act?

And Mick doing the chorus way too early in the instrumental part of
Start Me Up is priceless.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: May 4, 2012 18:24

Some of you cats are real weird, wouldn't a band need to break-up or retire or something like that first before there could be a "reunion" ??

...and note to DandelionPowderman;

"It never ceases to amaze me how everybody can analyze what's going on within the band without knowing anything."

Don't let it get to you man, there are some VERY bored F&#*@$s on this MB...

Date: May 4, 2012 18:29

Doxa

Well, I read LIFE and there the man stated that he is "natural leader", and if he had been a soldier, he would have been a general. What he learned from Boy Scouts was basically the skills needed to run a rock band.

- Doxa

As we all well know - significant relationships exist between leadership and such individual traits as: reliability, intelligence, adjustment, extraversion, conscientiousness, openness to experience, general self-efficacy, continuous competency and the overall triat of being "alpha". When I think of these individual triats, Keith of course is the first person who springs to mind. And who else but Keith would be willing to "climb" great heights and shout out aloud that he is "alpha". What a "magnet" grinning smiley

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 4, 2012 18:50

Thanks for the clip, schillid.

I love how people rag on SNL today saying that it's past its prime and it's not as funny as the "old days"...then you watch that diner clip and you see that the comedy is just as obscure and just as out of left field as it is today.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: May 4, 2012 19:41

It seems like there is more than a mere "glimmer" of hope the Stones perform on SNL on 5/19. If so I'd say it's either "Start Me Up" or "Brown Sugar" they play.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 4, 2012 19:50

Plundered anybody?smiling bouncing smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 4, 2012 20:07

sweetcharmedlife
Plundered anybody?smiling bouncing smiley

While we are fantasizing, how about Plundered with Mick T. at the start, then Do You Think I Really Care with Ronnie later in the show?

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: May 4, 2012 20:29

Maybe Mick will bring the rest of the band on an play a few songs,who knows, they are all in NY now this could lead to a announcement of some sort.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 4, 2012 21:00

Edith Grove
I just hope I can stay up late enough to see this.

As John McEnroe might say, "YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS!"

Date: May 4, 2012 21:23

Jiving Sister Fanny anyone...

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 4, 2012 21:44

When I go to see Mick Taylor next Saturday night (one week before MJ's SNL show), Jagger will make a surprise unannounced appearance... Maybe I'll see a historic performance of "Sway"...

Wondering what is the real chance of this? ... I'll let you know when and if it happens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-04 21:45 by schillid.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 4, 2012 23:25

TooTough
Gazza

Wasn´t Sprinsteen billed after them as closing act?

He was on after them - as were other acts. Billing wasn't really relevant. Major acts aren't always kept to the end, as such. Bruce (and other acts) performed because they were nominated for awards relating to musical achievement for that year. The Stones 'slot' was because they were given a Lifetime award.

That year was the best ever VMA's imo. Wouldnt say I was a big fan of The Beastie Boys, but I always loved 'Sabotage' and their performance of it that night was great too.

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: May 4, 2012 23:28

Oh, and let's not forget that Bernard is performing somewhere (I forget where!) on the 18th of May with Mr. Richards daughter, Alex, as DJ.

It's somewhere in NYC, if I recall correctly.

(Why do these people always seem to go from pure silence on my radio to utter saturation so quickly? To keep us on our toes?)cool smiley

ETA: This is still so funny and cool:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-04 23:34 by Cocaine Eyes.

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: May 5, 2012 00:00

I agree with Gazza. Business wise they want to make the most out of the 50th. This is the "get it on the radar" event. Most people don't know or care but SNL is a great way to get it out in the US and Can. I do not think Mick will perform without at least Keith. Not unless the slap in the face is worth throughing away all the money, and all the joy to everyone of the 50th. Maybe a Salt of the Earth thing ala 9/11 concert. My money is with the caliber of musicians the Stones are (note the tense) they can pull together a few good songs. On a personal note, SMU does not work on TV. Groves do not translate to TV. I encourage my favorite band to prove they can still matter. Good Speed.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 5, 2012 00:06

I can tell you this: If after all the excitement and speculation of all the Stones (plus Mick Taylor) being in town, playing together, etc. it turns out that Mick just performs solo on SNL, it will be the world's biggest boner-killer.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 59

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1348
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home