Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rolling Stones Live - Guitar Voicings, Bar Chords and Power Chords
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 26, 2020 19:58

We have all seen live footage of Brian, MT and Keith playing bar chords live. The question is other then Keith has any of them played power chords, against what Keith was playing. For RW playing live he usually played different guitar voicings to Keith when playing live but I have not seen him play power chords( I am sure I am wrong). Some of my favorite Keith guitar voicings are from the 1981 hampton concert - I love the way he played under my thumb and others.

Anyone have any other favorites - Mick Taylor's octave riff over the chorus on YCAGWYW is other favorite of mine from 1972,1973.

Re: Rolling Stones Live - Guitar Voicings, Bar Chords and Power Chords
Date: October 26, 2020 20:00

olling Stones Live - Guitar Voicings, Bar Chords and Power Chords
Date: October 26, 2020 19:58

forgot Ron Wood
We have all seen live footage of Brian,RW, MT and Keith playing bar chords live. The question is other then Keith has any of them played power chords, against what Keith was playing. For RW playing live he usually played different guitar voicings to Keith when playing live but I have not seen him play power chords( I am sure I am wrong). Some of my favorite Keith guitar voicings are from the 1981 hampton concert - I love the way he played under my thumb and others.

Anyone have any other favorites - Mick Taylor's octave riff over the chorus on YCAGWYW is other favorite of mine from 1972,1973.

Date: October 26, 2020 22:28

Taylor played power chords with the Stones, and frankly I cannot imagine Brian Jones or Ron Wood didn't. For example if you play Chuck Berry rhythm guitar you're into power chords already, albeit extended with your pinky finger. Actually a power chord is just an interval, a perfect fifth; not really a chord since it lacks a third etc.

Date: October 26, 2020 22:43

Bar chords to me is fretting all strings and power chords normally playing just three strings

Date: October 26, 2020 22:50

OpenG
Bar chords to me is fretting all strings and power chords normally playing just three strings

Yup, two strings (root, fifth) or three strings (root, fifth, root).They are either major or minor but that's up to their harmonic context i.e. your imagination.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 27, 2020 10:20

TheflyingDutchman
OpenG

Yup, two strings (root, fifth) or three strings (root, fifth, root).They are either major or minor but that's up to their harmonic context i.e. your imagination.

That major/minor ambiguity and the freedom to go either way is a big part of the Blues and all the music that grew from it.

Date: October 27, 2020 10:52

Very often when Keith plays boogie, Ronnie will play power chords. On IORR, for example.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 27, 2020 12:49

It's kinda the opposite from a lot of stuff on Steel Wheels (or indeed the setlists from 89-90) where they use the funky minor chords (same as when ya play "sus4" to Open-G) to great extent in the writing and performing. Like the Hot Stuff riff.

Let me think; Hearts For Sale, RAAHP, AHYS, Sex Drive, Terrifying, then Undercover and Miss You live. Very interesting period, last time that stuff was used later on was with Anybody Seen My Baby or Rain Fall Down?

It's that James Brown influence in their writing that has gone away a bit it seems.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-27 12:50 by MadMax.

Date: October 27, 2020 14:26

DandelionPowderman
Very often when Keith plays boogie, Ronnie will play power chords. On IORR, for example.

Brian and Keith here?

19th nervous breakdown

Date: October 27, 2020 19:00

[www.youtube.com]
The Rolling Stones - Let's Spend The Night Together (The Vault Hampton Coliseum Live In 1981)

This is what Keith does so great playing power chords into his riffing and guitar parts throughout the song.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 27, 2020 19:29

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]
The Rolling Stones - Let's Spend The Night Together (The Vault Hampton Coliseum Live In 1981)

This is what Keith does so great playing power chords into his riffing and guitar parts throughout the song.

I love that last C (Berry-esque riff in other words) in the last chorus. he does that during B2B shows as well (with Blondie's tambourine during the latter half of 98 it provided magnificent effect), gotta check out the 2005-07 shows tonite to see if he does it all the way. Probably.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-28 12:46 by MadMax.

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: October 27, 2020 22:15

The opening chords of Not fade away are power chords avant la lettre. And although Brian played all the notes of the Last time riff seperately, the chords are power chords. Also the opening riff of She Saïd yeah are power chords.

Date: October 28, 2020 02:04

paulspendel
The opening chords of Not fade away are power chords avant la lettre. And although Brian played all the notes of the Last time riff seperately, the chords are power chords. Also the opening riff of She Saïd yeah are power chords.

Cryptic. Good shot though.thumbs up

Date: October 28, 2020 11:18

paulspendel

She Said Yes indeed. On The Last Time and Not Fade Away Keith plays regular chords in the intro, though, not barre chords. Hybrid chords later in the song.

But the effect is the same smiling smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 28, 2020 11:32

I've never fully gotten to grips with power-chords. Open chords and bar chards, yes. When I read the term 'power-chord', I inevitably think of an act like Green Day. I don't believe, say, The Beatles, made much use of this method. Someone's going to correct me, now! winking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 28, 2020 11:34

Beatles .... heck yeah Big Al
ya can hear loud and clear in Yesterday ......

ROCKMAN

Date: October 28, 2020 11:44

Rockman
Beatles .... heck yeah Big Al
ya can hear loud and clear in Yesterday ......

It didn't take long for someone to correct me! You're absolutely right regarding Yesterday, of course.

Date: October 28, 2020 12:30

Big Al
I've never fully gotten to grips with power-chords. Open chords and bar chards, yes. When I read the term 'power-chord', I inevitably think of an act like Green Day. I don't believe, say, The Beatles, made much use of this method. Someone's going to correct me, now! winking smiley

Ha ha, get back . cool smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 28, 2020 16:13

Ray Davies usually gets the credit (or blame) for power chords - "You Really Got Me" and "All The Day" are early examples. These are also considered early "heavy metal", the most frequent users of power chords.

While Keith and Ronnie both often play only some of the notes of the chord ,it's rarely (if ever) the root and the fifth.

Date: October 28, 2020 16:52

I love grunge- funny Keith said that exile was the first grunge record if i remember from an interview. Pearl Jam guitar voicings are great and on Alive after the - I am alive part they go into the interlude and they play Asus to D A sus to D and then play(at 2nd fret) B bar chord for two beats and then B power chord for 2 beats before going back to the E power chord.

Date: October 28, 2020 17:22

Scotty Moore's guitar-intro to Jailhouse Rock must've been one of the first examples of power-chords in rock 'n roll, surely?

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 28, 2020 18:29

When I think of the Stones using power chords, mostly the era between 78 and 89 comes to my mind. In these days Ronnie also played a lot of power chords. Also Keith's solo records are full of guitars just playing the root and the fifth, especially when he is layering many guitars. And much of the time when Keith's playing in Open G he only really hits the lowest two or 3 strings (G and D/ and G again), to avoid the third (for example the A chord How I Wish): the result are power chords.
These days Keith plays almost exclusively power chords on Gimme Shelter, for example.
But in response to your question I think Ronnie plays power chords mixed with these Hendrix fingerings in between lead lines these days in order to fill out the sound a bit. 20 years ago or so he would often just play the lead part and then stop playing to dance or goof around :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1925
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home