Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 8 of 11
Re: The stones are in NYC
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 5, 2012 19:03

I wont scoff, I will say...
Thank you LJS, thats a great story with sources, logic and facts to back it up.

Nice to read.... versus the usual "I have a secret"/"mystery theater" posts
and I wont even quote you, in case you have second thoughts and feel like editing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-05 19:06 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 5, 2012 20:06

Long John Stoner
BUT, I notice now that Leavell has no gigs lined up for the future

He had gigs lined up with John Mayer's cancelled tour.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: May 5, 2012 20:18

Edith Grove
Long John Stoner
BUT, I notice now that Leavell has no gigs lined up for the future

He had gigs lined up with John Mayer's cancelled tour.

Yep, but no more, so he's available.

I'm just playing a hunch because of things he's told me in years past. He's also why I've been adamant about no more tours, an album, whatever, because he was sadly convinced it would never come to pass. But if that sentiment turns out to be wrong after all, then obviously many people will be very happy with that.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: May 5, 2012 20:26

Thanks for all the encouraging news, there is a lot in this thread that sounds great. Besides the fact that The Stones work to gether, I find the fact that Ben Waters might be a part of any possible future "thing." He would be just perfect. Someone mentioned before - there is something Stu-like about him and it is not just the Stu tribute CD he did.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 5, 2012 21:55

Thanks Long John Stoner for your sincere contribution.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: May 6, 2012 01:05

sweetcharmedlife
Gazza
Midnight Toker
The start of a new album. I love it.

I wouldnt go that far. Its a jam session. Maybe with a view to something more if all works well, but I think its a bit premature to assume its the 'start of a new album'.
Can we safely assume that it's either the start of something. Or the end of something?

You know what they say about assuming.

Date: May 6, 2012 01:08

rogue
Ronnie Wood does a solo show in NYC April 21st.
Stones together in studio this week May 1st.
Mick Taylor to guest on Jimmy Fallon May 9th
Mick Taylor to play the Iridium
Mick Jagger to host SNL on May 19th
Charlie Watts to play Iridium in June.

Lorne Michaels and Mick Jagger have produces films together...
Lorne Michaels could co-produce Stones film and residency shows...

Anyone else see a pattern building around the Stones in NYC?

Could there be...
Would there be...
Just a chance....
Maybe a Glimmer of hope....
Live from NY! Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones.

God I love this band.

Good grief. Imagine that - and they play Shattered and Plundered with Taylor and Wyman... that would be insane.

Date: May 6, 2012 01:16

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Good grief. Imagine that - and they play Shattered and Plundered with Taylor and Wyman... that would be insane.

That would be Out Of Control.... people would be creaming themselves.

Date: May 6, 2012 01:34

Max'sKansasCity
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

That would be Out Of Control.... people would be creaming themselves.

That's probably what a lot of fans are hoping for, something along that line. I just don't see them doing a tour but certainly some weekend shows or whatever like some have suggested.

Of course, having Taylor and Wyman back in the studio and recording might be better. Imagine Ronnie on pedal steel, Taylor on slide... they really could do something potentially amazing...

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: May 6, 2012 01:50

There are a lot of "what ifs" that point to a possible Stones appearance on SNL, but getting too excited about it now seems kind of silly. If you believe the NBC/Universal connection is one of the reasons the Stones might play together on live TV, then it also makes sense that NBC/Universal would want to promote the heck out of it or, at the very least, leak some well founded rumors that the band would be making an appearance. I don't see the positives for NBC if the Stones just show up unannounced. How would that have a positive effect on ratings?

Also, the concept of Charlie being in New York for a jam in early May, then coming back for an SNL appearance in mid-May, then returning again with his other band in June, seems somewhat unlikely.

That said, I'll be much less inclined to believe Mick Taylor will be involved with future 50th plans if his time in NYC goes by without some mingling with Jagger, Wood, or Richards.

It would be great and amazing and fantastic if the Stones were on SNL. It would be great, too, if they just showed up at some clubs together, or if Jagger, Wood, or Richards hopped up onstage with Mick Taylor when he's in town. I just have a difficult time believing this band, who has done nothing spontaneous in a "live performance" sense since 1986, will play live on TV in New York on a Saturday night....in 2012.

To paraphrase Principal Seymour Skinner, "Prove me wrong boys. Prove me wrong."

Date: May 6, 2012 03:00

I was excited for the Some Girls extras...and then mostly disappointed. But that's the snobbery of having bootlegs to ruin things...

This is certainly a bigger mystery - and it very well may be a lot about nothing.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: May 6, 2012 04:04

I think Jagger being the host is the leak for NBC.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 6, 2012 04:16

vermontoffender
If you believe the NBC/Universal connection is one of the reasons the Stones might play together on live TV, then it also makes sense that NBC/Universal would want to promote the heck out of it or, at the very least, leak some well founded rumors that the band would be making an appearance. I don't see the positives for NBC if the Stones just show up unannounced. How would that have a positive effect on ratings?

Good points but in this day and age...when online viewing on YouTube and Hulu reign supreme...it almost doesn't matter anymore if people don't catch it live on TV anymore. Everyone's looking for the next video to go viral and a surprise performance from the Stones would be sure do that and put SNL in a great light as a place where some cool things apparently still happen. They may miss out on the ratings but the credit would still be theirs for getting the Stones.

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: May 6, 2012 05:01

That's a good point. Getting the Stones would certainly be a coup for SNL and it would probably increase online traffic for the show at Hulu and NBC.com.

Still...NBC could have that and higher ratings if they ramp up the rumor machine around the 15th or 16th.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 6, 2012 05:08

You're right..and I'm sure we'll see the rumors start flying as the date approaches and then NBC will have us right where they want us: waiting desperately for SNL. Even if the Stones don't perform, the little spike in ratings from all the hungry Stones fans tuning in on that night's shows is exactly what they're banking on. So, in a way--they've already won.

Posted by: rogue ()
Date: May 6, 2012 05:36

Mick is confirmed for the show. Perhaps the Stones are still trying to se if they (Keith) can cut it.

Then again, they don't promote a host until it is their week. Wait until the Wednesday before and see whom is in the promo. They might let it slip by having the Stones together.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: May 6, 2012 08:13

71Tele
hbwriter
I am in ny and can confirm that charlie watts at least is here - and that it is all systems go for next year

I am in NY but can't confirm that hbwriter is here. smoking smiley

I'm in NYC right now and didn't see anyone...then again I wasn't looking. I have tomorrow free. Where should I be looking?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-06 08:19 by tomk.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: May 6, 2012 13:39

Well, looks like the rumor mill is on overdrive on here. The Stones could not ask for a better hype. However, the only concerts that are certain to take place are Mick Taylor's shows in NYC during May. Other Stones might or might not be in the audience there - who knows.

Also worth mentioning is that Don Was now has a day job at Blue Note Records who reside in NYC and if the Stones want him to produce anything, that city is the logical place for it. And Keith does not live too far away either, doesn't he?

Many possibilities, so little time. To record a new album, they will need to be together for longer stretches of time again. These are just the dress rehearsals, I guess.

We'll see how that develops.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 6, 2012 21:57

Mick won't let anything SLIP, that's not his style...unless it's deliberate, he tends to like mystery . Time to dust off my walking shows and get on down to NYC...So, Gazza, where are they jamming? What studio are they using?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 6, 2012 22:04

Having Mick Jagger as your host is hype enough for SNL. Mick has done some pretty funny sketches in the past and the skits alone could drag in a big audience. If the past is any indication, I doubt he would appear with any Stones at all. I don't think you get the full Stones in public until contracts are signed and the official announcement is made.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 6, 2012 22:10

I am really curious about the rehearsals in NYC now...So they are in New York for 'sessions', but without their road crew, without the standard backup musicians, without Chuck Leavell...What are they doing?

Mathijs

Date: May 6, 2012 22:38

mickschix
where are they jamming? What studio are they using?

LOL mickschix, good try smiling smiley

-------------------

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 6, 2012 23:06

Mathijs
I am really curious about the rehearsals in NYC now...So they are in New York for 'sessions', but without their road crew, without the standard backup musicians, without Chuck Leavell...What are they doing?

Mathijs

Playing cards?

(That's what Jagger's been singiing latelygrinning smiley)

- Doxa

Date: May 6, 2012 23:38

It certainly could be viewed as some kind of sneaky winky thing that Mick is gonna host and the Stones are in NYC doing something, rehearsing or reading music perhaps...

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: May 6, 2012 23:49

On the Rocks Off board on May 3, Saint Sway wrote this:

Just heard that they've moved from nyc to a small studio in Weehawken NJ.
Film crew has been brought in to document it

Which is just across the Lincoln Tunnel.

If I had to guess, I'd say they started with a vague idea of getting together to get the feel of things again, get in shape musically as a unit, "rehearse", and (hopefully) enthusiasm has struck and brought them to the demo/early recording stage.

Both Mick and Keith have stated they've got songs written.

Who's on bass though? Ronnie? Maybe Don Was?

By the way, does Gazza know if the "rehearsals" are still going on, if they've stopped - and if they started before May 1st (April 29 or 30)?

Stonesdoug on Shidoobee had "announced" April 29-May 5 quite a while ago.

----

Quotes from Mick in 2005:

If we go out on tour, we gotta do a record. It shows you are an actual functioning rock band. I don't want to be one of those bands that just does hits. People say, I much prefer to hear Brown Sugar than some new song. Well, I don't give a shit what you prefer. If everyone else in the band had said, We can't be bothered, no one listens to our new records, fair enough. We can do more repackages (rolls his eyes). But everyone was up for it.

I'd already written quite a lot of material, and Keith had written some, so it wasn't like we started from nothing.

(The idea was: c)oncentrate on what you're doing. No @#$%& about or jamming for days. I thought, We can't do this album the way we've been doing them, spending months in a studio with hundreds of people. It's difficult, expensive and not much fun.... We were in such a confined space - some of it was in France, some of it in the Caribbean - without loads of hangers-on. There was nowhere to hide. Is it good? Is is not good? Then bung it out the window. There were no three-hour blues jams. There wasn't time.

Posted by: princerupert ()
Date: May 7, 2012 00:34

They rehearses: Fool to Cry, JJF and Miss You. Don Was on bass. Chuck on keyboards.

To be continued....

Date: May 7, 2012 01:43

princerupert
To be continued....

Absolutely

-------------------

Date: May 7, 2012 02:07

Stones in New York and no photos of them yet. confused smiley hmmm

Date: May 7, 2012 02:23

MarianneFaithfullFan
Stones in New York and no photos of them yet. confused smiley hmmm

You know... that is a good point MFF. Paps are everywhere these days,
so I wonder why/how there are no pictures of the guys circulating around....

Im not saying good bad indifferent true or false about anything..... just saying that is interesting

Posted by: ultimaterocker ()
Date: May 7, 2012 02:32

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 8 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1736
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home