Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11
Re: The stones are in NYC
Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 3, 2012 21:06

The start of a new album. I love it.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 3, 2012 21:10

So , they're recording again? What's their motivation for this? To tie in with their 50th anniversary and its associated liceneses and product lines? So it won't be an album made because, well, they're asrtists and that's simply what they do?
I see.
Can't wait.
eye rolling smiley

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 3, 2012 21:12

The album will be for free - just like the conserts.

Re: The Stones are in NYC
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 3, 2012 21:24

i love the Rolling Stones

[throwing shiny bright thanks & praises confetti all over Gazza]

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 3, 2012 21:47

Thank you for the good news;I'm happy to know that the rolling stones are in a recording studio playing music. Hopefully they are having a good time and they'll get inspired to produce live music in the near future.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 3, 2012 21:51

memphiscats
Forget NO and San Fran - the Stones are coming to MEMPHIS. The Birthplace of the Blues - ending it where it all started.

Well, if that's the criteria we're using, they could set up a stage at the corner of U.S. 61 & 49.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: May 3, 2012 22:14

jamesfdouglas
So , they're recording again? What's their motivation for this? To tie in with their 50th anniversary and its associated liceneses and product lines? So it won't be an album made because, well, they're asrtists and that's simply what they do?
I see.
Can't wait.
eye rolling smiley

No pleasing some folks

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: May 3, 2012 22:51

This is freaking great.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 3, 2012 23:14

Edith Grove
memphiscats
Forget NO and San Fran - the Stones are coming to MEMPHIS. The Birthplace of the Blues - ending it where it all started.

Well, if that's the criteria we're using, they could set up a stage at the corner of U.S. 61 & 49.

Or even better here: [www.dockeryfarms.org]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 4, 2012 02:02

Midnight Toker

I wouldnt go that far. Its a jam session. Maybe with a view to something more if all works well, but I think its a bit premature to assume its the 'start of a new album'.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 4, 2012 02:30

Gazza
Midnight Toker

I wouldnt go that far. Its a jam session. Maybe with a view to something more if all works well, but I think its a bit premature to assume its the 'start of a new album'.
Can we safely assume that it's either the start of something. Or the end of something?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 4, 2012 02:36

hbwriter
I am in ny and can confirm that charlie watts at least is here - and that it is all systems go for next year

I am in NY but can't confirm that hbwriter is here. smoking smiley

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 4, 2012 02:46

It's starting to look like this was a master plan they all had cooked up some months ago...now coming into fruition. No coincidence that Taylor is in town for those shows at Iridium when Mick and Keith are also in town starting up the early steps of writing some new material. Any material that comes out of it that's worth working on, they could bring back to London to get Bill to lay his part down or maybe just go ahead re-record all together with him while still retaining Taylor's guitar parts. So many options but one thing's clear...they've all decided NY to be their rendezvous point to start work on....something.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: May 4, 2012 02:50

Where is Ronnie?

NYC as well?

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 4, 2012 02:52

I don't see why not....Gazza confirmed all 4 Stones were currently in NYC.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 4, 2012 04:04

probably working on the documentary and working on some ideas for the album, plus the wyman rumors just makes it better

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: May 4, 2012 04:25

On his April 17 appearance on Live with Kelly, Ron Wood said the following:

"I've only been in America just over a week. I'm gonna stay for another three weeks".

See 3:32 on the youtube clip

For those who didn't catch it, there were also newspaper reports last week (April 24) about Ronnie having been overheard at the E&E Grill saying he, Mick and Keith would be in a studio "next week".

Posted by: rogue ()
Date: May 4, 2012 13:03

Ronnie Wood does a solo show in NYC April 21st.
Stones together in studio this week May 1st.
Mick Taylor to guest on Jimmy Fallon May 9th
Mick Taylor to play the Iridium
Mick Jagger to host SNL on May 19th
Charlie Watts to play Iridium in June.

Lorne Michaels and Mick Jagger have produces films together...
Lorne Michaels could co-produce Stones film and residency shows...

Anyone else see a pattern building around the Stones in NYC?

Could there be...
Would there be...
Just a chance....
Maybe a Glimmer of hope....
Live from NY! Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones.

God I love this band.

Date: May 4, 2012 15:36

Certainly a possibility, rogue - whilst I'd heard Jagger would be hosting SNL I was surprised to read the press release which said he'd also be performing.

Unless, by 'performing' they just mean 'appearing in comedy skits' (which he will be)

I certainly wouldnt rule it out - and it would be a nice launching pad for an anniversary year - but I've tended to be a bit cautious down the years about rumoured 'one off' public appearances as theyve havent played a note of music in public outside of a tour for over three decades (eg the 'Jimmy Fallon Exile Week' a couple of years ago when three of the band appeared on the show and there were musical guests playing Exile songs every week - but the Stones still couldnt bring themselves to perform)

What DOES also add a bit of fuel to the flames is the fact that SNL airs on NBC - which is owned by Universal. Which also happens to be the Stones' record label.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: May 4, 2012 17:33

That would be a wonderful surprise - and a great move by the band - if they played SNL. I hope it happens.

And if Wyman is with them, I'll wet my pants.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 4, 2012 17:41

Wow, what a thread! Finally got it through. Thanks master Gazza putting us into map....thumbs up

Like I started calculating in other thread that one plus one plus one plus equals..

At least that the British rock and roll group Rolling Stones likes NYC quite a lot... and all this is just.. co-incidental...grinning smiley

Just hoping there were no tragical ice bergs on the way from the British Isles to NYC to get Ernie safely there as well...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-04 17:42 by Doxa.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 4, 2012 17:46

gimmelittledrink
That would be a wonderful surprise - and a great move by the band - if they played SNL. I hope it happens.

There won't be a dry seat anywhere.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: May 4, 2012 19:47

Gazza
Certainly a possibility, rogue - whilst I'd heard Jagger would be hosting SNL I was surprised to read the press release which said he'd also be performing.

Unless, by 'performing' they just mean 'appearing in comedy skits' (which he will be)

I certainly wouldnt rule it out - and it would be a nice launching pad for an anniversary year - but I've tended to be a bit cautious down the years about rumoured 'one off' public appearances as theyve havent played a note of music in public outside of a tour for over three decades (eg the 'Jimmy Fallon Exile Week' a couple of years ago when three of the band appeared on the show and there were musical guests playing Exile songs every week - but the Stones still couldnt bring themselves to perform)

What DOES also add a bit of fuel to the flames is the fact that SNL airs on NBC - which is owned by Universal. Which also happens to be the Stones' record label.

great point about Universal. wouldn't you consider the brief performance at Julliard in March '05 as a non-tour "one-off" performance?

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 4, 2012 20:05

gimmelittledrink

Anyone up for lurking about the New York ports looking for a elderly man with a teenage companion and a metal detector?

Posted by: rogue ()
Date: May 4, 2012 20:16

Gazza

What DOES also add a bit of fuel to the flames is the fact that SNL airs on NBC
which is owned by Universal. Which also happens to be the Stones' record
label.
Wow,the NBC/Universal connection slipped right past me.
Thanks, Gazza. That may be the most important bit of information yet.

My local NBC affiliate put up a pic of Jagger this morning at 6:30 AM EST and announced his hosting gig. They called him " the lead singer of The Rolling Stones who are celebrating their 50th anniversary in music this year."
That was their copy on the TelePrompTer for the piece with a very good still shot of Jagger in his black sparkle jacket from ABB. This was obviously a pic and script sent out by NBC to all of the affiliates to promote SNL but that was the first public tv acknowledgment I've heard about the 50th Ann.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-04 20:19 by rogue.

Date: May 4, 2012 20:33

big4
Gazza

great point about Universal. wouldn't you consider the brief performance at Julliard in March '05 as a non-tour "one-off" performance?

Personally, I wouldnt as its entire purpose was to promote/announce a tour. The last time the Stones played in public outside of the confines of a tour were the two 45-minute 'surprise' appearances at the CNIB shows in Oshawa in April 1979...

The occasion before that one was..... (drum roll please)

Saturday Night Live in October 1978

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: May 5, 2012 01:39

The plot thickens. I've been thinking about it all day. Too many coincidences with so many Stones in NYC at roughly the same time. Something must be up. I wouldn't be surprised if these jam sessions in NYC are purely to work up a couple of tunes for this. Even if it is 7 or 8 months or more (?) before a possible tour, what a great way to spark interest and start some hype. They could also be feeling it out. If they don't come across well, they might bag the idea. If they stir up a lot of enthusiasm, then they've done their job.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 5, 2012 02:11

Why were we kept in the dark so long regarding Mick's hosting SNL on May 19?? I can't wait! I bet he sings and appears in the comedy skits!

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: May 5, 2012 12:27

And hopefully they all will be back in London on june 30th being Ronnie's friends winking smiley

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: May 5, 2012 18:36

I've said here before (not that I post here all that often) that I've known Chuck Leavell casually going on what is now 30 years or so. Met him at a gig in the early 80's. I was a familiar face at local shows to him, and for a while, we kept in e-mail contact.

The e-mail contact stopped a couple of years ago, so I have nothing new. I do know after the last tour, Leavell was convinced the Stones as a group would never do another big tour, although he hoped they would and that he'd be included if they did. He was convinced they wouldn't though due to Watts' reluctance, Richards' health, and the apparently very real acrimony and tension between Jagger and Richards. He felt getting all those things resolved at the same time was too much to overcome at this stage (read age) of their lives.

BUT, I notice now that Leavell has no gigs lined up for the future, so May is theoretically open for him. Many of you will scoff at this, but he's been a key reason their tours worked the last few times. Anyway, I think if people want confirmation these NYC sessions are going to lead to anything, or more important to the moment, if the Stones will be the "surprise" musical guest on SNL May 19, the spies should start looking for Chuck Leavell sightings, seriously.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1953
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home