Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11
Re: The stones are in NYC
Date: May 3, 2012 16:39

Cocaine Eyes
I'm confused - it doesn't take much - but WHY are people bellyaching about the DECEMBER thing when this IS HAPPENING IN NYC BASICALLY RIGHT NOW?

What do you mean 'basically' happening? Is that like how a woman is 'basically' or 'sort of' pregnant? It IS happening. Do you see it not being talked about and not a thread?

Right.

What comes of it is for now a mystery.

Date: May 3, 2012 16:42

Cocaine Eyes
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
GumbootCloggeroo
Cocaine Eyes
In Toronto, they used to advertise where they would be rehearsing. I recall (perhaps it was three tours ago?? I've lost track at this point) it was on the front page of all three big Toronto newspapers (The Star, The Sun, The Globe & Mail) that they'd be rehearsing at The Masonic Temple. Now it's called The Concert Hall.
You have it backwards. It used to be The Concert Hall but now it's The Masonic Temple.

Sonic Temple? I enjoyed that album. Has some kickin' tunes on it.

No, darlin' - it's Masonic Temple:

[en.wikipedia.org])

Ha ha. Drop the Ma and you get...

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 3, 2012 16:48

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Cocaine Eyes
IS HAPPENING IN NYC BASICALLY RIGHT NOW

What do you mean 'basically' happening?

That's not what CE said.
CE said it is happening basically right now.
Although English is not my first language I can see a big difference.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: May 3, 2012 16:50

Edith Grove
Naturalust
Edith Grove
Naturalust
Forget New Orleans Mick , too much competition and Rock and Roll apathy

Please explain.

Well New Orleans being such a musically inspirational place, there is so much good music going on at any one time that it kind of makes the Stones concert a difficult decision to make on any given night. Mick said once that when he visited your fine city that he was rarely recognized let alone beseeched by fans who knew their music well and could discuss it at any lenght. That's the Rock apathy I'm referring to.

Don't be upset EG , you are lucky to have such a fantastic town for music of all types under your feet. I personally have been HEAVILY influenced by the New Orleans sound. That being the Dr. John, Funky Meters, Little Feat, Neville brothers kind of groove. Even though those acts don't all call New Orleans home, that is what I consider the "sound" that people label as New Orleans. That and Alan T.'s numerous horn arrangements.... Hope that explains it to your satisfaction. peace

You've just given the Stones the perfect reason for spending a week here, like they did in '94.

They love the music here as well, and I think Mick would feel better blending into a crowd without too much fan adoration.
Throwing in an arena show would bring in the market between Houston & Atlanta.

BV actually had a NOLA show on the tour page here in '05, but it was removed shortly after the big wind blew through here.
Billy Graham had a Crusade at the arena on the day the Stones were scheduled.

Edith, Naturalust is portraying jeaslousy for 'rock'n'roll' apathy in New Orleans. Which I know for a fact is not true in total since a lot of fans turn out for rock shows by the Drive-By Truckers, The Cult, AC/DC, Rush, Junior Brown and a few others I'm sure I've never followed.

However, it is true, just not 100%. I'm sure Manhattan is the same.

Date: May 3, 2012 16:56

proudmary
Gazza

Especially regarding the band working together, which is something I would imagine quite a few people on here - maybe even yourself - would have doubted would ever happen again.

Yes, I've doubted it and was constantly ostracized for it
But for the first the time I hear here on the board that the situation was so bad that even a one day in the studio togheter was an event
of great importance because there were doubts that they ever will be able to work together
I have a legitimate question - what is the reason that many people thought that would not ever happen again? There must be a reason?

Because it seemed like the Bang tour was pretty much it? Because of Keith's health and lack of playing ability? When a band ends a tour with releasing a movie that is not really from the tour and then two albums are reissued with extra material and the other half of the songwriting partners of the band releases a book that is from the stance of a six year old that didn't get dessert and they're getting old... it sure seems like the writing is on the wall.

Date: May 3, 2012 17:00

Rolling Hansie
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Cocaine Eyes

That's not what CE said.

It's the same thing.

But to be precise - there technically is no "basic" 'right now' because 'right now' is always 'now'. If there is some idea that it's still happening next week, and it would not actually be happening, that could be called 'happening basically right now' because it's recent but it would not be happening at all because the 'right now' part already happened.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 3, 2012 17:07

superrevvy
TeddyB1018
Mick will be in New York on May 19th.

1) What's happening May 19?

2) Since Gazza's confirmation of this recording session, Stonesdoug has
confirmed independently (and, credit where credit is due, Stonesdoug
came up with the dates of this session even before they were leaked by
Ronnie).

3) Stonesdoug's latest: "There is supposed to be one show in 2012 and then
a smaller version of a tour in 2013."

4) As you no doubt recall, I have been a proponent of the one-show-in-2012
theory for several months now. And in case you don't recall:

5) Also of course, for several years now, I have been a proponent of the they'll-be-recording-a-few-new-tracks-for-a-50th-3CD-release-of-unreleased-
things theory.

6) Lastly, while I never doubted the legitimacy of the sources that led
Gazza and others to expect a tour in 2012 (and now 2013), I have maintained
all along
that this was very unlikely.
This thread is about The Rolling Stones. It's not about you and your massive ego, superrevvy.

Date: May 3, 2012 17:07

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Rolling Hansie
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Cocaine Eyes

That's not what CE said.

It's the same thing.

But to be precise - there technically is no "basic" 'right now' because 'right now' is always 'now'. If there is some idea that it's still happening next week, and it would not actually be happening, that could be called 'happening basically right now' because it's recent but it would not be happening at all because the 'right now' part already happened.

Classic Skipstone logic, it's gotta be you smiling smiley

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 3, 2012 17:23

DandelionPowderman
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Rolling Hansie
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Cocaine Eyes

That's not what CE said.

It's the same thing.

I'm dizzy. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: May 3, 2012 17:23

DandelionPowderman

... or is it ? smileys with beer

-------------------

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: May 3, 2012 17:36

I am in ny and can confirm that charlie watts at least is here - and that it is all systems go for next year

Date: May 3, 2012 17:48

Right on hbwriter. Thanks
No confusion about your words smiling smiley

-------------------

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 3, 2012 17:49

Rolling Hansie
DandelionPowderman

It is. No one else is that dumb.eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 3, 2012 18:00

Pics or it didn't happen smoking smiley

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: May 3, 2012 18:01

hbwriter
I am in ny and can confirm that charlie watts at least is here - and that it is all systems go for next year
Hooray!! smoking smiley

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: May 3, 2012 18:06

hbwriter

Thank you kindly.grinning smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 3, 2012 18:20

I think Skippy means right now as we speak. Am I right, Skippy?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 3, 2012 18:44

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Edith Grove
Naturalust
Edith Grove
Naturalust

Please explain.

Well New Orleans being such a musically inspirational place, there is so much good music going on at any one time that it kind of makes the Stones concert a difficult decision to make on any given night. Mick said once that when he visited your fine city that he was rarely recognized let alone beseeched by fans who knew their music well and could discuss it at any lenght. That's the Rock apathy I'm referring to.

Don't be upset EG , you are lucky to have such a fantastic town for music of all types under your feet. I personally have been HEAVILY influenced by the New Orleans sound. That being the Dr. John, Funky Meters, Little Feat, Neville brothers kind of groove. Even though those acts don't all call New Orleans home, that is what I consider the "sound" that people label as New Orleans. That and Alan T.'s numerous horn arrangements.... Hope that explains it to your satisfaction. peace

You've just given the Stones the perfect reason for spending a week here, like they did in '94.

They love the music here as well, and I think Mick would feel better blending into a crowd without too much fan adoration.

BV actually had a NOLA show on the tour page here in '05, but it was removed shortly after the big wind blew through here.

Edith, Naturalust is portraying jeaslousy for 'rock'n'roll' apathy in New Orleans. Which I know for a fact is not true in total since a lot of fans turn out for rock shows by the Drive-By Truckers, The Cult, AC/DC, Rush, Junior Brown and a few others I'm sure I've never followed.

Of course I am WLTPTB, you are stating the obvious. I love New Orleans and it's music. I love the people, the accents, the food, the history and the week long party that is Mardi Gras. I just think San Francisco, Golden Gate Park is a better venue that the Stones would be proud to call home for a week's worth of sold-out shows in 2013. peace

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 3, 2012 18:47

Gazza
Further to the 'London Jam didn't happen' doubters...

One of the guys who gave me the info read this thread and asked me to pass on the following :

You can tell these disbelievers that it took place in a studio bang next door to The 606 club in Lots road Chelsea, the place is/was (think it might have moved now) run by Jeremy Stacey, drummer with the High Flying Birds amongst others. It wasn't a cynical get together to benefit the documentary, it wasn't even filmed!!! It was 100% Keith's idea and came as a total surprise to the others who all had other plans, I think the line he put out about it being a 'magnet' for Mick is just about right.

Someone said on the thread that they couldn't have done the jam without their usual technicians, well they did, No Pierre (think he's doing the NY thing though) & No Dave Rouze, they used 1 local guitar tech and a studio engineer, very un-Stones like I know, I think it was a huge shock to those guys who've always had the gig since Steel Wheels. I believe the thinking was that it was not worth flying them in (first class) for just a few days. As for Ben Waters, everyone in the band who has played with him or heard him has been impressed and also I think there is something Stu like about him that they like and of course they needed/wanted a piano player and they were not going to pay for Chuck!

The current get-together is a band decision - unlike the London one, which was Keith's.

A quick google search indicates that Jeremy Stacy does indeed have a studio at Lots Road, Chelsea called Snake Ranch.

Wyman has previously used this studio in late 2000 and early 2003 for sessions with The Rhythm Kings.

Thanks for sharing this. I knew the techs weren't present, and this led me to believe that there either wasn't a proper session, or a very short session just for some photo's or documentary. It still is hard to believe they actually still can do a session with just a guitar and amp, thus without their normal menders.

And indeed, I find it amazing they can actually do a session that without any public display. The sessions you mention from Zentgraf are (partially) know because there where sigthings of them enetering the studio etc.

Mathijs

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 3, 2012 18:53

hbwriter

Of course he is, the doubt about was cleared up when this thread was launched.

What inquiring minds want to know is whether Bill is there or not. That would be great news indeed. Thanks. peace

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: May 3, 2012 19:01

Naturalust
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Edith Grove
Naturalust
Edith Grove
Naturalust

Please explain.

Of course I am WLTPTB, you are stating the obvious. I love New Orleans and it's music. I love the people, the accents, the food, the history and the week long party that is Mardi Gras. I just think San Francisco, Golden Gate Park is a better venue that the Stones would be proud to call home for a week's worth of sold-out shows in 2013. peace
Forget NO and San Fran - the Stones are coming to MEMPHIS. The Birthplace of the Blues - ending it where it all started. Well, I can dream, right??cool smiley

Date: May 3, 2012 19:06

Stoneage
I think Skippy means right now as we speak. Am I right, Skippy?

>grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-03 19:07 by WeLoveToPlayTheBlues.

Date: May 3, 2012 19:09

sweetcharmedlife
Rolling Hansie
DandelionPowderman

It is. No one else is that dumb.eye rolling smiley

Boy does the Sharks losing out put you in a bad mood!

Date: May 3, 2012 19:12

Naturalust
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Edith Grove
Naturalust
Edith Grove
Naturalust

Please explain.

It was meant that way spinning smiley sticking its tongue out. You have to understand that you're right in that sense really. Although the Stones played in New Orleans in 1994 and were there for a few days they played to their smallest crowd ever in the Superdome. They may love it here but there is no way they'd play more than one show in the Arena.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: May 3, 2012 19:18

File this thread and others like it under: Not Enough Info

Who knows what they're up to? That's the problem with the iNet:
Just because we can react to "info" in real time doesn't mean
that we're reacting to complete information.

Net Result: Talking points in a mass public circle jerk.

Have fun now, but we won't really know anything for months.

Patience and the iNet aren't good bedfellows.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 3, 2012 19:27

Some people are so horny for Stones news that when we get the mere mention of Keith and Mick looking into each other's eyes, they get an IORR hard on.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: May 3, 2012 19:55

TeddyB1018
Three facts. The Internet is irritating. The Stones are together this week in New York. Mick will be in New York on May 19th.

OK, now we know what will be on May 19

"Mick Jagger to Host, Perform on 'Saturday Night Live' Season Finale"
The Rolling Stones frontman will take the helm on May 19.
[www.hollywoodreporter.com]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 3, 2012 19:59

Is that show still on? Remember watching it in the 80s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-03 20:11 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 3, 2012 20:07

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-03 20:07 by Justin.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 3, 2012 20:38

Gazza, Teddy and Hbwriter...we trust in you! thumbs up
Keep us updated

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1986
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home