Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 4 of 11
Re: The stones are in NYC
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 2, 2012 20:16

Mathijs

It just doesn't add up! So let's just say they had a band meeting discussing the future of the Stones. Richards states beforehand he will get the band together, but doesn't speak of any rehearsals afterwords. And to add -much if what Richards states the last couple of years hasn't made any sense. Then Jagger mentions afterwords it was all nice and whatever. Of course he would say that, what else has he said the last 20 years!

There has been no word from Wyman, who'd surely would state something if he'd played with them. 'it was nice', 'I hated it', what ever. No word! Same for Watts and Wood: not a single word. Why was Ben Waters there? I don't know. Invited by Watts to kill the time waiting for Jagger?

The only thing we know is that after the supposed sessions it was suddenly announced officially that there would be no tour this year, and no album. So Jagger jams with the band for an hour, long enough and sufficient enough to decide there will be no tour. It doesn't sound plausible to me.

Mathijs

So, to sum up. Mick Jagger and Keith Richards confirming the band played together doesnt sound plausible, but your series of 'what if's?' and 'lets just say''s do.

Ok. eye rolling smiley If you insist.

And yes, it could well be that after playing with the band for a day (or an hour as you want to insist as you're so keen to underestimate), Jagger did decide that the time wasnt right to tour. Quite plausible, actually, as they had agreed at their business meeting in September that they would do shows in 2012.

What I was told at the time was that the band jammed on blues songs for a couple of days. Jagger commented that when HE played with them, they tried out a few Some Girls songs.

By the way. Have any recordings or photos ever circulated from any of these sessions?

961100A late November - 17th December: New York City, Dangerous Music Studios
and Weston, Connecticut, KR’s home studio. The Stones start working on the
upcoming album Bridges To Babylon.

970100A mid - 24th January: New York City, probably Dangerous Music Studios.
MJ, KR and CW work on demos for the upcoming album 'Bridges To Babylon'.

970200A February: London, Westside Studios. MJ works on tracks for the upcoming
album Bridges To Babylon.

(links from nzentgraf.de)

I suppose on that basis they didn't take place either.

Sometimes - shock, horror - the Stones do manage to do stuff in private that the media isn't aware of.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-02 20:18 by Gazza.

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: May 2, 2012 20:20

^^^^^^^ Cool post, Gazza!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 2, 2012 20:47

Cocaine Eyes
^^^^^^^ Cool post, Gazza!

thumbs up

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: May 2, 2012 21:50

Me oh my, another sticky longish thread!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 2, 2012 22:20

Edith Grove
Naturalust
Forget New Orleans Mick , too much competition and Rock and Roll apathy

Please explain.

Well New Orleans being such a musically inspirational place, there is so much good music going on at any one time that it kind of makes the Stones concert a difficult decision to make on any given night. Mick said once that when he visited your fine city that he was rarely recognized let alone beseeched by fans who knew their music well and could discuss it at any lenght. That's the Rock apathy I'm referring to.

Don't be upset EG , you are lucky to have such a fantastic town for music of all types under your feet. I personally have been HEAVILY influenced by the New Orleans sound. That being the Dr. John, Funky Meters, Little Feat, Neville brothers kind of groove. Even though those acts don't all call New Orleans home, that is what I consider the "sound" that people label as New Orleans. That and Alan T.'s numerous horn arrangements.... Hope that explains it to your satisfaction. peace

Posted by: Highwire.uk ()
Date: May 2, 2012 22:34

The Stones will not tell the press anything that they want to keep private. Why tell the press anything its not time yet, lots to do lots to sort out.It will be news when they say its news.Untill then keep the faith they will be back as a 5 piece.
I spoke to a member of the band before Some Girls Bonus cd hit the shops he told me who did what and why this never came out in the press. Why because it was private.He only told me because I have never passed anything on since 1977 when we first were in contact.
Fact they played in December with Bill and all enjoyed it.
Fact they are in NY lets hope it goes well and lets all look forward to them playing on stage again.
2013 will come soon so hang in there.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 2, 2012 22:39

Just like to add.....
BIG PROPS to Gazza,
Our most consistent/best source of good info(which is allowable to the public) thanks manthumbs up

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 2, 2012 22:44

Naturalust
Edith Grove
Naturalust
Forget New Orleans Mick , too much competition and Rock and Roll apathy

Please explain.

Well New Orleans being such a musically inspirational place, there is so much good music going on at any one time that it kind of makes the Stones concert a difficult decision to make on any given night. Mick said once that when he visited your fine city that he was rarely recognized let alone beseeched by fans who knew their music well and could discuss it at any lenght. That's the Rock apathy I'm referring to.

Don't be upset EG , you are lucky to have such a fantastic town for music of all types under your feet. I personally have been HEAVILY influenced by the New Orleans sound. That being the Dr. John, Funky Meters, Little Feat, Neville brothers kind of groove. Even though those acts don't all call New Orleans home, that is what I consider the "sound" that people label as New Orleans. That and Alan T.'s numerous horn arrangements.... Hope that explains it to your satisfaction. peace

You've just given the Stones the perfect reason for spending a week here, like they did in '94.

They love the music here as well, and I think Mick would feel better blending into a crowd without too much fan adoration.
Throwing in an arena show would bring in the market between Houston & Atlanta.

BV actually had a NOLA show on the tour page here in '05, but it was removed shortly after the big wind blew through here.
Billy Graham had a Crusade at the arena on the day the Stones were scheduled.

Date: May 2, 2012 23:19

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
GumbootCloggeroo
Cocaine Eyes
In Toronto, they used to advertise where they would be rehearsing. I recall (perhaps it was three tours ago?? I've lost track at this point) it was on the front page of all three big Toronto newspapers (The Star, The Sun, The Globe & Mail) that they'd be rehearsing at The Masonic Temple. Now it's called The Concert Hall.
You have it backwards. It used to be The Concert Hall but now it's The Masonic Temple.

Sonic Temple? I enjoyed that album. Has some kickin' tunes on it.

Fiiiiiiiiireeeeeeeeeeee woman, you´re to blame... Great stuff thumbs up Stonesy riff as well.

Date: May 2, 2012 23:34

Further to the 'London Jam didn't happen' doubters...

One of the guys who gave me the info read this thread and asked me to pass on the following :

You can tell these disbelievers that it took place in a studio bang next door to The 606 club in Lots road Chelsea, the place is/was (think it might have moved now) run by Jeremy Stacey, drummer with the High Flying Birds amongst others. It wasn't a cynical get together to benefit the documentary, it wasn't even filmed!!! It was 100% Keith's idea and came as a total surprise to the others who all had other plans, I think the line he put out about it being a 'magnet' for Mick is just about right.

Someone said on the thread that they couldn't have done the jam without their usual technicians, well they did, No Pierre (think he's doing the NY thing though) & No Dave Rouze, they used 1 local guitar tech and a studio engineer, very un-Stones like I know, I think it was a huge shock to those guys who've always had the gig since Steel Wheels. I believe the thinking was that it was not worth flying them in (first class) for just a few days. As for Ben Waters, everyone in the band who has played with him or heard him has been impressed and also I think there is something Stu like about him that they like and of course they needed/wanted a piano player and they were not going to pay for Chuck!

The current get-together is a band decision - unlike the London one, which was Keith's.

A quick google search indicates that Jeremy Stacy does indeed have a studio at Lots Road, Chelsea called Snake Ranch.

Wyman has previously used this studio in late 2000 and early 2003 for sessions with The Rhythm Kings.

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: May 2, 2012 23:46

Gazza

One of the guys who gave me the info read this thread and asked me to pass on the following :

You can tell these disbelievers that it took place in a studio bang next door to The 606 club in Lots road Chelsea, the place is/was (think it might have moved now) run by Jeremy Stacey, drummer with the High Flying Birds amongst others. It wasn't a cynical get together to benefit the documentary, it wasn't even filmed!!! It was 100% Keith's idea and came as a total surprise to the others who all had other plans, I think the line he put out about it being a 'magnet' for Mick is just about right.

Someone said on the thread that they couldn't have done the jam without their usual technicians, well they did, No Pierre (think he's doing the NY thing though) & No Dave Rouze, they used 1 local guitar tech and a studio engineer, very un-Stones like I know, I think it was a huge shock to those guys who've always had the gig since Steel Wheels. I believe the thinking was that it was not worth flying them in (first class) for just a few days. As for Ben Waters, everyone in the band who has played with him or heard him has been impressed and also I think there is something Stu like about him that they like and of course they needed/wanted a piano player and they were not going to pay for Chuck!

The current get-together is a band decision - unlike the London one, which was Keith's.

A quick google search indicates that Jeremy Stacy does indeed have a studio at Lots Road, Chelsea called Snake Ranch.

Wyman has previously used this studio in late 2000 and early 2003 for sessions with The Rhythm Kings.

You really shouldn't have to explain yourself, but I do understand why you did so. There will always be 'disbelievers'. I suppose. Too bad....

Date: May 2, 2012 23:51

If somebody hadnt already given Gazza BIG PROPS, I would.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 2, 2012 23:53

Thanks Gazza for all the information.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: May 2, 2012 23:53

Gazza

Thanks for posting this. I would love to know if Taylor's gig in NY roughly the same times as the Stones sessions is mere coincidence.

Date: May 2, 2012 23:55

It'd be nice to think that it isn't, wouldn't it?

Guess we'll know in the next couple of weeks.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: May 2, 2012 23:59

Great info, thanks Gazza smiling smiley

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 3, 2012 00:06

Nice one Gazza! Very cool to read that the Stones can still rough it on their own when they want to. Can't wait to see how this develops

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: May 3, 2012 00:07

Jesus, it's already beyond an absurd.
Was or was not? Anonymous letter from a knowledgeable source transmitted through a third party...
This is all so ridiculous.

Btw, Richards wouldn't need to set any magnets if he knew to behave decently and kept his mouth shut.

Date: May 3, 2012 00:09

proudmary
Was or was not? Anonymous letter from a knowledgeable source transmitted through a third party...

Btw, Richards wouldn't need to set any magnets if he knew to behave decently and kept his mouth shut.

Who said it was anonymous?

Believe it happened or dont believe it happened. Past caring whether you do or not, to be honest.

Date: May 3, 2012 00:18

as a rule..
isnt it better to ignore the 1-2 negatives and instead focus on the positives?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 3, 2012 00:19

This is a bit disturbing. Some real information about the group for a change. And I was going all in on that Ted Nugent thread...

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: May 3, 2012 00:21

Anything could have happened ....

Bill Wyman: (sings) ‘This could be the last time …’ (laughs). Well, you never know. You never know what might happen next year. You never know. I’ll leave it like that....

[www.goldminemag.com]

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 3, 2012 00:27

Stoneage
This is a bit disturbing. Some real information about the group for a change. And I was going all in on that Ted Nugent thread...

grinning smiley

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: May 3, 2012 00:29

Gazza
proudmary

Believe it happened or dont believe it happened. Past caring whether you do or not, to be honest.

But I never doubted this happened. I just can't see what's so exiting about it - it's an old news, it was in december
I meant that the level of paranoia rolls over - this is just a rock band after all

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-03 00:38 by proudmary.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: May 3, 2012 00:33

Most positive Stones news in ages. .thank you !

sc uk

Date: May 3, 2012 00:43

proudmary
Gazza
proudmary

But I never doubted this happened. I just can't see what's so exiting about it - it's an old news, it was in december
I meant that the level of paranoia rolls over - this is just a rock band after all

Personally, I don't see it as that 'exciting' either - but it's Stones 'news'. And I was anxious to clear up any doubts some people have expressed. And as its 'just a rock band' and this is forum for discussion on said 'rock band', its worth clearing up. It may be old news from December, but it was something that happened where the details have been very vague indeed.

And we've rarely had any 'news' of a musical nature in the last four or five years.

Especially regarding the band working together, which is something I would imagine quite a few people on here - maybe even yourself - would have doubted would ever happen again.

Date: May 3, 2012 00:54

Thanks for the info.

IMHO it is too obvious that the band has to hold meetings. If it weren't the case. How on earth could they celebrate anything if they do not even see each other?.

Date: May 3, 2012 01:08

Look, we have some real info. Real news instead of the usual groundless speculation and wishful thinking that has been the norm here. We even know that they did a loose session in London with Bill Wyman and without lots of fuss (techs, etc). So why the complaining?

Posted by: rogue ()
Date: May 3, 2012 01:13

Gold Rings Onya, Gazza!

We sometimes forget that the Stones are loyal to those that have been in their employ but new rules seem to be in place lately and it does make sense to me the Ben Waters would come along with Charlie since they were working in Europe at the time and they don't need so many techs around if they just need to get together quickly. It might also have been a way for Keith to demonstrate to Jagger that it was about the guys being together and not the usual Stones touring army going into a studio.

Yeah,it is not earth shattering but I for one am glad you posted it. Sometimes the most basic news is the best.

As for Mick & Keith....
Keith has to prove some sincerity to the band and Mick's got to swallow a little pride. There is a lot of water under the Rolling Stones bridge, a lot of other stuff too, that has to be dealt with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-03 12:59 by rogue.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: May 3, 2012 01:47

Thanx Gazza...I appreciate it....

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 4 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1709
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home