Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: M/S Stockholm's last journey
Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 27, 2020 01:18

Just been up watching some YT simulations of famous ships going under.
Lusitania, HMHS Titanic, HMHS Britannic and finished watching with Andrea Doria. Thinking to myself, I'll check out where M/S Stockholm ended up.

I discover that it was supposed to make its final voyage from Hull cruising up through the norwegian fjords (BV's heimat!) exactly this week!! Because of the covid-stupid-19 it was scrapped in Tilbury instead, already in march.

Another weird coincidence. Anyone else that can share strange coincidences like this? I.e, you read about something that you are interested in and then all of a sudden a major coincidence hits you? They seem to happen on a quite regular basis.
Strange strange strange.

Re: OT: M/S Stockholm's last journey
Date: October 27, 2020 01:35

Before the simulations I watched a Columbo episode (The one with William Shatner as an actor and killer) so there is one more thing:

All four of these beautiful ships got hit on their starboard sides! Not one parted from this world starting with a problem located on the port (no pun intended).

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 27, 2020 02:47

MadMax
... HMHS Titanic, HMHS Britannic ...

Titanic and sister ship Olympic were RMS (Royal Mail Ships). Their sister ship Britannic was indeed HMHS (Her Majesty’s Hospital Ship). I was drowned in Titanic trivia by a fanatic for too many years to let this pass without comment spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 27, 2020 11:50

MadMax

Thinking to myself, I'll check out where M/S Stockholm ended up.

It's still alive, it has now the 11th name (MV Astoria) - [en.Wikipedia.org] .

"The 2020 cruise season was intended be the last for Astoria in the CMV fleet. Her final journey may be a 13-night cruise from Hull to North Cape, in October 2020" - [www.scmp.com] , [www.travelandleisure.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-27 11:55 by Irix.

Date: October 27, 2020 12:05

SomeTorontoGirl
MadMax
... HMHS Titanic, HMHS Britannic ...

Titanic and sister ship Olympic were RMS (Royal Mail Ships). Their sister ship Britannic was indeed HMHS (Her Majesty’s Hospital Ship). I was drowned in Titanic trivia by a fanatic for too many years to let this pass without comment spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Nice one!! Of course, my mistake!smileys with beer

Date: October 27, 2020 19:31

SS Carpathia is the only famous ship not to have been struck, hit or for other reason been sunk on the starboard side!!! The only port side victim!!sad smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 27, 2020 22:30

MadMax

Another weird coincidence. Anyone else that can share strange coincidences like this? I.e, you read about something that you are interested in and then all of a sudden a major coincidence hits you?

Regarding ships, I've watched a two-part TV-Documentary about cruise ships / ocean liners on 11/12th January 2012 and then the next day the Costa Concordia accident happened .... [en.Wikipedia.org] .

It was a strange coincidence (felt like a jinx). Another strange coincidence in this context is that the RMS Titanic collided on 14-Apr-1912 with an iceberg while the Costa Concordia collided on Friday, 13-Jan-2012 with an underwater rock and (partiallly) sank - almost exactly 100 years later .... sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-27 22:45 by Irix.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 27, 2020 22:44

MadMax
SS Carpathia is the only famous ship not to have been struck, hit or for other reason been sunk on the starboard side!!! The only port side victim!!sad smiley

...and it was the Carpathia that was first on scene to rescue Titanic survivors! You’re on a roll, MadMax! (Seriously, I endured years of this...) smileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1494
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home