Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

My 18 year Stones project
Date: April 30, 2012 02:39

In 1994, I bought my first Rolling Stones bootleg, Certain Chicks. Since then I have collected over 600 albums featuring the Stones together and their solo work. I have inventoried each song on an excel sheet by year (song, location, album title). This can be quite exhausting since telling the difference between Hang Fire III and Hand Fire IV is pretty tough. Thanks to Nzengraf and some incredible websites, I feel I'm pretty accurate in organizing what song came from what session. I've also collected around 100 DVD's and inventoried all songs, interviews etc. This gives me somewhere in the neighborhood of 8,000 Stones songs and interviews.

I bought an Imac about a year ago and started to back up my Stones CD collection. I currently have 5,570 songs or 19.4 days of Stones music. I still have around 80 more CD's to input. Once this is completed, I will create a live music playlist and a studio play list by year. I'm going to transfer every concert by year chronologically. For example, I have about 75% of the '73 tour, I will create the '73 playlist in the order the concerts were played on that tour. For the studio play list, I will probably do it by album, putting all the Goats Head Soup outtakes together etc. This will give me a pretty unique look at how the Stones have evolved over the years with a press of a button.

Some people probably will think I have lost my mind, but this has been a long time in the making and the end product will be pretty cool. Plus, alot of sellers on ebay have made alot of money off of me.

Now if I could only start a Stones pirate radio station and play this great music for everyone. That would be a fun job.

Re: My 18 year Stones project
Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: April 30, 2012 03:20

Easy, Low power FM transmitter, you could play to your local community, on an underground basis. A friend broadcasts on Friday nights in my town and if you know the frequency you can tune in, he plays full length albums, he'll even take txt msg requests from friends. He had the new Pink Floyd DSOTM 180gm blasting the other week, played it twice it was so cool...

You could stream it via a private link, ala a private listening party

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: April 30, 2012 03:41

SKILLS
Easy, Low power FM transmitter, you could play to your local community, on an underground basis. A friend broadcasts on Friday nights in my town and if you know the frequency you can tune in, he plays full length albums, he'll even take txt msg requests from friends. He had the new Pink Floyd DSOTM 180gm blasting the other week, played it twice it was so cool...

You could stream it via a private link, ala a private listening party

Love it! Or you could make it and internet radio station - I agree with the private/invite-only listening party idea.

And congrats on your most awesome collection - as a digital archivist and Stones' fan I'm super impressed.

-swiss

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: April 30, 2012 06:38

Congratulations! I am impressed by your passion. It seems that you've done a wonderful job! In fact you must be 'hired' by Abcko / Rolling Stones Records to be their official archivaris. Let's hand them the key of the vaults to you, so you can finish your great job with 100% perfection. After that nothing will stand in the way to release the Definitive Rolling Stones Collection on CD.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 30, 2012 08:30

Wow snowman that is friggin awesome. Have you contacted folks like Don Was to see how this amazing effort could be helpful to the Stones themselves. I'm sure the band each have certain shows they remember for certain reasons and have pined for a recording of the event or a copy of the interview.

Yes what you are doing is a classic case of building value. I see this paying out for you if that is your goal. I like the more purist goal of getting the music in chronological order to the fans, but that is probably not mutually exclusive with making some money for your efforts.

Pirate radio stations are really not about the FM broadcast so much as the interradio archive that they produce. It doesn't really take an FCC liscence to promote and play the songs, stream and archive them for an web site called say "Stones Pirate Broadcast" or something. Its a good vision and I commend you on your effort.

The thing is, Don Was tried to do pretty much the same thing and he had access to thousands of hours of recorded material. Just simple things like getting the missing verse for a particular performace for a different audio source could be huge. Lots of recordings are never released because of things like an overloaded channel on the main vocal or drop outs in the tape, etc. I suggest you write to Rolling Stones records if you want to take your project to the next level. Good luck, I love what you are doing. peace

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: April 30, 2012 17:13

Excellent. Wow - I really admire your perseverance and tenacity - wonderful work, hfosnow!

This ties in with my dream of listening to a Stones-only channel. I wish you all the best and please keep us posted. Would love to hear what you come up with.

Way to follow your dream and passion!! Rock on! smoking smiley

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 30, 2012 17:34

Jealousy & Admiration flowing to you! Please keep us posted... I would love to be able to hear your broadcasts either on the net or the radio.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 1, 2012 04:49

swiss
as a digital archivist
-swiss

Nice sounding job there swiss, I am pretty sure it is one of many hats you have/can wear..

I think I need me one of those in any case, terrabytes of songs need attention like a good friend. peace

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: May 1, 2012 05:30

Love what you have done. Thought I'd share my thought when I read the thread title with you....With an 18 year project on your resume you could apply for a job with the rock group Boston.
Sounds as if your time was way more productive than theirs. I would love to hear that or have access to it someday.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 1, 2012 06:02

Keep up the good work...enthusiasts like yourself, Nzengraf and Aeppli do a better job than the employees of ABKCO or RSR.

The fans like us benefit...I appreciate all your effort. Let us know when you're broadcasting!

Date: May 1, 2012 06:43

My thanks to everyone for their positive feedback and great energy. I actually contacted the Stones website today (sent an e-mail to Memory Motel) and gave a brief explanation of my collection. I offered to help them if they wanted me to contribute, they are currently looking for material to help celebrate the 50th. All the grunt work is done for them, so maybe they will take me up on it. It would be a pleasure to help.

I really have no idea how to do an internet listening party on the web, but if it is easy to do and legal, I would be all for try something. Any advice would be appreciated. Now, I'm going to finish backing up my copies of the Satanic Sessions, 8 cd's worth of studio material for Their Satanic Majesties. Great stuff!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 1, 2012 11:21

Amazing job. Looks very interesting to me.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2050
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home