Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What do you think about the album Aftermath?
Posted by: keefgotsoul ()
Date: April 26, 2012 08:43

The first Stones LP written completely by Jagger/Richards. The Uk version had Mothers Little Helper, and the US version had Paint it Black. But I think every song on this record is pretty good and has stood the test of time. It has some pure gems like Lady Jane and Under My Thumb, but it also has some excellent songs that aren't mentioned often, such as High and Dry, Stupid Girl, Think, and What To Do. Keith's guitar playing was really starting to shine and Brian was playing all sorts of instruments that really added to the songs. I think Aftermath comes pretty close to the Stones best albums. Of course it's not as highly regarded as the big 4, but it's still pretty impressive.

Re: What do you think about the album Aftermath?
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: April 26, 2012 08:50

If they had combined all the best tracks from the US and UK versions and made a single disc, it would really be stellar.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 26, 2012 09:06

UK album is perfect in its present form...don't like the US way to mix it with original singles ....

2 1 2 0

Date: April 26, 2012 10:13

A classic. Top 5 of what they did, imo.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 26, 2012 10:31

(Yet another returning thread)

Yeah, definitely great. I also prefer the UK version of the album. I think a lot of songs should
do wonderful in a live setting: Doncha bother me, Stupid Girl, Think, Flight 505, Out of Time,
It's not easy. It is a pity that the album came out at a time when touring was not the first
priority of the band. And when they toured, they had so many many many songs to chose from,
that somehow they did not recognize the potential of their own written songs.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: April 26, 2012 10:39

I have not listened to this album for ages and don't intend to do it for the moment.
My favourite song is "I am waiting" but also like "Out of time"

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: April 26, 2012 10:48

This album is amongst their best ones. Of course i much prefer the UK version, as well as Out of Our Heads UK version and BTB.

Rubber soul - Aftermath - pet sounds..................... WOW!!!!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 26, 2012 11:05

The UK version is in my top three of fave Stones albums. It is superb.

Mathijs

Posted by: Handova ()
Date: April 26, 2012 11:08

I never really got into it, don't know why ...

And I acknowledge it's "classic" status, and reckon the importance of being the first album written completely by Jagger/Richards. Of course, I also love many of the songs featured - there's nothing wrong here!

But still, I miss some "glue" on the album. Might be the "cut and paste" nature of the UK and US versions that gives me a funny feel. This happened with some other albums, still don't feel it as evident as in this one.

Date: April 26, 2012 11:10

I Am Waiting, High And Dry and Out Of Time should be included in the setlist if they decide to tour again, imo. It's Not Easy as well.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 26, 2012 11:24

CLASSIC Stones .... UK all the way ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: April 26, 2012 11:51

UK version is the best one IMO. Definitely a great album with some nice experimental song writing.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: April 26, 2012 11:59

The UK version is awesome. And in many ways a typical album from the 60's. Without any typical hit single songs. Just a line of great album songs.

PS I don't think Mother's Little Helper is a typical song to release as a single and I know the Searchers had a small hit with Take It Or Leave It.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-26 12:00 by Thommie.

Date: April 26, 2012 12:01

Thommie
The UK version is awesome. And in many ways a typical album from the 60's. Without any typical hit single songs. Just a line of great album songs.

PS I don't think Mother's Little Helper is a typical song to release as a single and I know the Searchers had a small hit with Take It Or Leave It.

Under My Thumb and Out Of Time could be hits?

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: April 26, 2012 12:13

DandelionPowderman
Thommie

I love both songs, but for some reason I love them more as album songs than I think I had done if they were released as singles.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: April 26, 2012 12:27

It is a great and important album even though I had to catch up with it as I was only 5 when it came out. Once again that subject of your age when you first get into the Stones will affect your opinion. I got into the Stones towards the end of the Big Four period, so the older albums sound a bit dated to me even though I do like them. My older brother got into Stones from the first album and thinks Aftermath is their best and last album worth hearing. Try telling him that Exile is great. He thinks it sucks and the big four in general are the work of a band already too old and washed up. How sad...but taste is subjective....

Date: April 26, 2012 12:39

Thommie
DandelionPowderman
Thommie

I love both songs, but for some reason I love them more as album songs than I think I had done if they were released as singles.

Yep, me too, but they are single material for sure.

Posted by: teagueraw ()
Date: April 26, 2012 15:26

A F T E R M A T H ®

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: April 26, 2012 15:54

DandelionPowderman
Thommie
DandelionPowderman
Thommie

Yep, me too, but they are single material for sure.

Out of time was a no. 1 single, of course, by Chris Farlowe, produced by Mick and released on Andrew Loog Oldham's Immediate label.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 26, 2012 16:03

Under My Thumb is a major major classic and should have been a single.

Bill's bass is magic.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: April 26, 2012 16:40

It's havo's favorite album!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 26, 2012 17:12

What's not to like? Elvis Costello has been playing a crowd-pleasing singalong version of "Out Of Time" for a year now. I am always amazed at how well this rather obscure Stones song goes over with EC's audience. It's a perfect pop song. The Stones should do it if they ever perform again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-26 17:18 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Ruby Friday ()
Date: April 26, 2012 17:13

Aftermath is pure magic !! I LOVE IT !!
If they had a couple of the singels they had at that time, they could had made the FIRST ever Double Rock Album ever !! That would have been something !!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 26, 2012 17:25

So we can agree to disagree.

I say the U.S. version is tighter and better sequenced.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: April 26, 2012 17:35

One of the very best Stones album ever...And the best work
by Brian Jones...Nice album to showcase how great Brain really was!

AfTERMATH = Brian Jones

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: April 26, 2012 17:39

loog droog

I agree with this, though I grew up with the U.S. version. Goin' Home should be the finale of the album, the shorter version Out of Time is better, What to Do is great but belongs on an earlier album, and Take it or Leave it, well I can do just that. It was originally written for another artist anyway.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: April 26, 2012 17:44

One of the best albuns ever.

Posted by: teagueraw ()
Date: April 26, 2012 17:47

That was the reason to ®emastered it

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 26, 2012 17:53

Zack
loog droog

I agree with this, though I grew up with the U.S. version. Goin' Home should be the finale of the album, the shorter version Out of Time is better, What to Do is great but belongs on an earlier album, and Take it or Leave it, well I can do just that. It was originally written for another artist anyway.

I like the design of the cover of the U.S. version, too.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 26, 2012 17:56

To me the first real Stones album is Beggar's Banquet. I don't care much about the albums made before that (or after Tattoo You). Maybe it's an age thing, I don't know. In those days singles were the main thing and they made some great singles before 1968: Satisfaction, Play With Fire, Get Off My Cloud, Paint It Black, Ruby Tuesday, Let's Spend The Night Together. On the albums however they sound like a mix of a blues epigon band and a pop band. Their first consummate LP was BB. But that's just my opinion...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2068
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home