Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Rating Deluxe Editions
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: April 19, 2016 16:44

1. Some Girls - shows that it should've been a double album
2. Sticky Fingers - shows that they should've released live album from Leeds in 1971.
3. Exile On Main St. - shows that it should've been a single album with Plundered... and Pass The Wine on it.

Re: Rating Deluxe Editions
Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: April 19, 2016 17:02

Some girls Bonus Disc is almost better than the original!!winking smileythumbs up

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 19, 2016 17:06

franzk
2. Sticky Fingers - shows that they should've released live album from Leeds in 1971.
3. Exile On Main St. - shows that it should've been a single album with Plundered... and Pass The Wine on it.

Yes, Exile is great but I wonder if it would have been better received at first if it were just a single disc of the very strongest cuts...

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 19, 2016 17:11

I agree with the ranking of franzk, but not with his remarks.
I like these deluxe albums as an addition to the famous albums, and the bonus of Some Girls
has the quality of a "stand alone" album, very near to Tattoo You.
I don't think the Some Girls album would have been that famous if it started out as a
double album in 1977.

And Plundered my soul would have ruined the legendary status of Exile on Main St if it was
somewhere between Let it Loose and All down the line or something. I never understood
why anybody would consider this song of the same quality as the other Exile-songs.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 19, 2016 17:28

franzk

SOME GIRLS... weird album in a way: they left off tunes that, barring the context of the times, would've worked much better long term ie Fiji Gin, The Way She Held Me Tight/Misty Roads, I Need You... at least the deluxe gave us No Spare Parts and Do You Think I Really Care. The rest of it... eh, nothing inspiring.

STICKY FINGERS - considering that a good bit of what is on EXILE was done for SF... SF should've been a double album and EXILE a single album had they only used the France recordings, which, of course, means it would be very different.

EXILE ON MAIN STREET - see above. Love Plundered, Pass The Wine and the absolutely awesome I'm Not Signifying were released. The rest of it stinks.

Date: April 19, 2016 17:42

1. Charlie Is My Darling
2. Sticky Fingers
3. Some Girls
4. Get Yer Ya-Yas Out
5. Exile On Main Street

Had Some Girls Live In Texas been included with the SG Deluxe package, it would have made number one on my list.

The Live In England '65 vinyl EP on Charlie Is My Darling was a stroke of genius thumbs up

Exile was a disappointment to me. However, we knew there weren't a lot of outtakes around from those sessions.

I don't agree with them picking the wrong songs for SG Deluxe. A nice varied collection of songs, imo.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 19, 2016 17:49

mailexile67
Some girls Bonus Disc is almost better than the original!!winking smileythumbs up
"
I wouldn't say better than the original".... it's a completely different animal...but it's amongst my favourite albums of any type.

Some of it is kind of like what they were playing for fun...rather than what they thought they ought to be releasing.

A country album from the Stones in '77 might not have gone down too well with the trendy things of the time smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-19 18:02 by Spud.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 19, 2016 17:54

The SG-Bonus-disc is indeed better than the original album. Exile is very disappointing, listening to the bonus-CD is only a waste of time, they grabbed deep in the garbage can only to find junk. Exile should have been a single album anyway, to add even more (and awful bad) song-sketches wasnt such a great idea...

YaYa´s doesnt get better by inclusion of only four new songs and a completely unnecessary BB King/Tina Turner-set.

The deluxe-editions of Charlie Is My Darling & Sticky Fingers are wonderful releases indeed. So here is my ranking:

SF
Charlie Is My Darling
Some Girls
YaYa´s
Exile

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: April 19, 2016 18:10

The Exile bonus disc is spoiled by that horrible "Following The River" tune. I find the other songs brilliant, especially "Pass The Wine" and "So Divine.

I agree, though, that the "Some Girls" bonus disc is way better.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: April 19, 2016 18:33

Yes, the "Ya-Ya's" deluxe release was a joy. To be able to complete the show with the new tracks, to get UMT (with some of my fav Keith playing) and hear Taylor's sweet little solo during I'm Free in that quality, plus Satisfaction...Super! How many people assembled a disc of a complete show in the order played? Someone even spliced in the missing verse on SFTD to complete that classic performance. Now that is the only version of "Ya-Ya's" that I listen to.

To recreate the actual '69 concert show experience (at least the one I saw) sit around for 90 minutes then play the BB King side, then sit around for another 30 or 45 minutes and play Ike & Tina, then sit around for a short hour and play the Stones. It was a long night.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 19, 2016 18:47

Thinking ahead, the best one could be Let It Bleed if they really dig deep and find demos and run throughs of songs like Midnight Rambler, Monkey Man and You Can't Always Get What You Want. There already is a good album's worth of extra material recorded around that time available on bootlegs so with a little excavation it could be a true revelation.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 19, 2016 18:52

Some Girls bonus better than the original ... I don't know what you guys have been smoking. Sure, the bonus songs are nice, but they don't have the melodies and depth of the material on Some Girls. Same with Exile and Sticky bonus discs, although they contain a few gems. I made a Spotify playlist with my own mixture of the "best of the Taylor years", combining songs from The Exile and Sticky bonus discs along with relevant tracks from Metamorphosis, which became a pretty neat 12 track album. I'll post it some day.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: April 19, 2016 19:04

pmk251
Yes, the "Ya-Ya's" deluxe release was a joy. To be able to complete the show with the new tracks, to get UMT (with some of my fav Keith playing) and hear Taylor's sweet little solo during I'm Free in that quality, plus Satisfaction...Super! How many people assembled a disc of a complete show in the order played? Someone even spliced in the missing verse on SFTD to complete that classic performance. Now that is the only version of "Ya-Ya's" that I listen to.

To recreate the actual '69 concert show experience (at least the one I saw) sit around for 90 minutes then play the BB King side, then sit around for another 30 or 45 minutes and play Ike & Tina, then sit around for a short hour and play the Stones. It was a long night.

It is incredible having the full show as I've always loved Ya-Ya's; the greatest version for me is definitely TeagueRaw remastered version of the Glyn John tapes; Get Yer Alternate Ya Ya's Out. It's marvellous!

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: April 19, 2016 20:02

The Some Girls bonus disc is better than Emotional Rescue.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 19, 2016 21:49

HonkeyTonkFlash
franzk

Yes, Exile is great but I wonder if it would have been better received at first if it were just a single disc of the very strongest cuts...

We can re-guess how albums could have been forever. Love You Live as a single album...

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 19, 2016 22:28

Wild Slivovitz
The Exile bonus disc is spoiled by that horrible "Following The River" tune. I find the other songs brilliant, especially "Pass The Wine" and "So Divine.

I agree, though, that the "Some Girls" bonus disc is way better.

thumbs up

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: April 19, 2016 22:34

Some girls
Exile

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: April 19, 2016 22:35

exilestones
HonkeyTonkFlash
franzk

We can re-guess how albums could have been forever. Love You Live as a single album...

... or Dirty Work as a triple album >grinning smiley<

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: April 19, 2016 22:57

boogaloojef
The Some Girls bonus disc is better than Emotional Rescue.

Nooooo!

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: April 19, 2016 23:04

nothing comes close to Bob Dylan's bootleg series

besides that: I'm fine with the original version of Exile. The new additional CD is quite enjoyable – although I'd never trade any of the original cuts with any of the songs of the new stuff (although the alternate take of All Down The Line that was exclusively released by amazon is really great)

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 19, 2016 23:19

slewan
nothing comes close to Bob Dylan's bootleg series

besides that: I'm fine with the original version of Exile. The new additional CD is quite enjoyable – although I'd never trade any of the original cuts with any of the songs of the new stuff (although the alternate take of All Down The Line that was exclusively released by amazon is really great)

Yeah ... don't get me started on what should have been on, and should have been left out of those deluxe albums. Why is Title 5 there and not the awesome original acoustic All Down The Line, for starters.

Agreed that Dylan's bootleg series is incredible, and I'm not even a big Dylan fan.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: April 20, 2016 01:15

1. Charlie is my darling - almost perfect
2. Sticky Fingers - Superdeluxe version. Close to #1 but that 'DVD' is a joke. And mastering is killing me.
3. Some Girls - very good selection of tracks for the 2nd CD. The problem with mastering is here too.
4. GYYYO - well, it would be better if they would give a complete unedited and overdubs-free show. Still, 5 bonus tracks are very pleasant addition.
5. Marquee 71 + Brussels 73 - kind of weird combination. But at lest it was affordable, unlike Bravado box.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 20, 2016 03:45

Bravado Brussels Box Set- I was lucky and got it on sale. And it is amazing. One of the largest box sets I have ever seen. Solid wood, well done packaging, poster, watch, and the vinyl. The vinyl, to me, sounds better than the FLAC files. Its a stunning set.

Some Girls. That bonus disc could have been easily released as a stand alone album. Amazing!

LA Friday Ward Records box. Another great packaging job in a large box. Great vinyl, Blueray, and CD. The inner sleeves are fantastic live photos, and a killer tour T-Shirt.

Hampton Ward Records box set. Another top quality box set from Nippon! Like LA, great vinyl, T-shirt, Blueray, CD. Lovely and again, great vinyl pressing.

Brussels/Marquee 71 Ward box set. Both albums, CDs, and Blueray. Again, the vinyl sounds fantastic, great packaging, and unique.

GYYO- CD. If it was vinyl it would be no. 2 or 3. Small box, cool packaging, and some fantastic extras! I wish they would do this on vinyl!

Sticky Fingers Deluxe box set. Very nice. And some great bonus material. Nice press release photos, and knick-knacks.

Knebworth- A great bootleg box set. Large blue box with five cds, t-shirt, a thick book about Knebworth. Press pass. Pretty cool.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 20, 2016 10:18

exilestones
HonkeyTonkFlash
franzk

or lose LYL altogether and replace with a double LIVE AT THE EL MOCAMBO!

Date: April 20, 2016 10:39

whitem8
Bravado Brussels Box Set- I was lucky and got it on sale. And it is amazing. One of the largest box sets I have ever seen. Solid wood, well done packaging, poster, watch, and the vinyl. The vinyl, to me, sounds better than the FLAC files. Its a stunning set.

Some Girls. That bonus disc could have been easily released as a stand alone album. Amazing!

LA Friday Ward Records box. Another great packaging job in a large box. Great vinyl, Blueray, and CD. The inner sleeves are fantastic live photos, and a killer tour T-Shirt.

Hampton Ward Records box set. Another top quality box set from Nippon! Like LA, great vinyl, T-shirt, Blueray, CD. Lovely and again, great vinyl pressing.

Brussels/Marquee 71 Ward box set. Both albums, CDs, and Blueray. Again, the vinyl sounds fantastic, great packaging, and unique.

GYYO- CD. If it was vinyl it would be no. 2 or 3. Small box, cool packaging, and some fantastic extras! I wish they would do this on vinyl!

Sticky Fingers Deluxe box set. Very nice. And some great bonus material. Nice press release photos, and knick-knacks.

Knebworth- A great bootleg box set. Large blue box with five cds, t-shirt, a thick book about Knebworth. Press pass. Pretty cool.

This is #1, of course. How could I forget this one in my ranking. Beautiful release! Love the book, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-20 15:43 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 20, 2016 15:42

LieB
Some Girls bonus better than the original ... I don't know what you guys have been smoking. Sure, the bonus songs are nice, but they don't have the melodies and depth of the material on Some Girls. Same with Exile and Sticky bonus discs, although they contain a few gems. I made a Spotify playlist with my own mixture of the "best of the Taylor years", combining songs from The Exile and Sticky bonus discs along with relevant tracks from Metamorphosis, which became a pretty neat 12 track album. I'll post it some day.
could not agree any more . It is funny to me to think the bonus disc are better than the offical album releases .What do people think that the bonus some girls disc would get that much airplay on the radio ? over the offical album ,think about miss you ,shattered, respectable , far away eyes,when the whip comes down .The glimmers know how to make albums !

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: April 20, 2016 16:24

TheGreek
LieB
could not agree any more . It is funny to me to think the bonus disc are better than the offical album releases .What do people think that the bonus some girls disc would get that much airplay on the radio ? over the offical album ,think about miss you ,shattered, respectable , far away eyes,when the whip comes down .The glimmers know how to make albums !

So it is. Beast of Burden, Before they make me run...

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 20, 2016 16:37

1. Exile Bonus disc - Back in 2010, it was such a joy to finally hear "new" tracks from that era... And Plundering My Soul was a very good single.

2. GYYYO Bonus tracks - Finally we can hear a full 15-tracks show from 1969 in the best avalaible quality. Priceless.

3. Some Girls Bonus disc - Very good album on its own. Great selection of tracks.

4. Sticky Fingers Deluxe - Interesting selecion of outtakes and live performances, but a bit short altogether - ie why not releasing the whole concert... ?

Date: April 20, 2016 17:00

They did release the whole Leeds concert, though. I assume you mean the Roundhouse show?

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 20, 2016 17:55

DandelionPowderman
They did release the whole Leeds concert, though. I assume you mean the Roundhouse show?

Yes, I mean the Roundhouse show. The Leeds concert was released on the "super deluxe edition".

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2058
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home