Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Satisfaction is 55 years old today!
Posted by: Tim2 ()
Date: May 27, 2020 16:01

Re: Satisfaction is 55 years old today!
Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: May 27, 2020 16:22

I would love to know how much they have made off of that song (after releasing and re-releasing it virtually 100's of times over the course of 55 years.

The song in my opinion has become a bit tiring.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 27, 2020 17:52

Heard this for the first time in awhile the other day on a mix tape. It sounded good, but what struck me is how it's still the theme song for my life. Much as I love the Stones original, I really dig this cover for its groove.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 27, 2020 18:27

heard it for the first time booming over my AM radio in my first car, 1965 it must have been. Hey mom, whats a "losing streak"?

jb

Re: Satisfaction - 55 years
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 27, 2020 19:15

Wasn't it released: 5-Jun-1965 (US) and 20-Aug-1965 (UK) - [NZentgraf.de] , [Aeppli.ch] , [TimeIsOnOurSide.com] , [en.Wikipedia.org] ?

The 6th June 1965 was btw a Sunday - [en.Wikipedia.org] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-27 19:25 by Irix.

Date: May 27, 2020 19:30

'I Can't Get No Satisfaction' (55th Anniversary Edition, Vinyl-LP) - [www.Amazon.com] - [www.Amazon.co.uk] - [www.Amazon.de] - (10-Apr-2020, ABKCO) - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: May 27, 2020 21:04

Irix
Wasn't it released: 5-Jun-1965 (US) and 20-Aug-1965 (UK) - [NZentgraf.de] , [Aeppli.ch] , [TimeIsOnOurSide.com] , [en.Wikipedia.org] ?

The 6th June 1965 was btw a Sunday - [en.Wikipedia.org] .
I was born June 5th 1965 and Satisfaction has been my favorite song since day 1, literally lol

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 27, 2020 21:07

And it's still the greatest single of all time.

Posted by: redkev ()
Date: May 27, 2020 21:08

dmay
Heard this for the first time in awhile the other day on a mix tape. It sounded good, but what struck me is how it's still the theme song for my life. Much as I love the Stones original, I really dig this cover for its groove.

[www.youtube.com]

Brilliant version, a few other good covers on the album that it comes from.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 27, 2020 23:25

Still as powerful as the day it was built ...

Greatest 45 single release ever ..........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 27, 2020 23:32

Rockman
Still as powerful as the day it was built ...

Greatest 45 single release ever ..........

You are so right Rockman

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 27, 2020 23:41

The summer it came out you could hear Satisfaction ringing out everywhere from every tinny AM automobile radio. And of course it sounded great. It was in high rotation on the AM radio stations. We all thought that fuzzy sound was from a saxophone.

The Stones recorded and re-leased it very quickly:
The Rolling Stones recorded the track on 12 May 1965 RCA Studios in Hollywood, California,
The song was first released as a single in the United States in June 1965

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-27 23:41 by triceratops.

Date: May 28, 2020 00:46

I think Jumpin Jack Flash, released a year or two later, was more like the greatest single ever released. But Satisfaction had to be right up there

jb

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: May 28, 2020 01:13

video: [www.youtube.com] To this day I still remember my friends mother saying what a disgusting song! We loved it even more!!!Ed Sullivan show.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 28, 2020 02:36

satisfaction is very good, but the stones have made a lot of better songs. they wouldnt have known that at the time though.

they probably stole it off the beatles anyway as everyone who ever made any music stole from the beatles.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 28, 2020 02:48

Yeah if you drop some crack then spin
I Wanna Hold Your Hand backwards at 78RPM
youll slowly realize your on a losin streak ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: May 28, 2020 15:19

Chacho
I would love to know how much they have made off of that song (after releasing and re-releasing it virtually 100's of times over the course of 55 years.

Quite a lot if people are willing to pay £112.05 for a CD single!
[www.amazon.co.uk]

Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: May 28, 2020 15:20

I love this cover version: Satisfaction - Cat Power

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 28, 2020 15:58

The Guardian is currently doing a list (not yet complete) of the 100 greatest British No. 1 singles of all time. They are artificially limiting the list to one record per artist: but the choice for the Stones is Satisfaction. Only at no.26, though.

[www.theguardian.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-28 15:58 by Green Lady.

Date: May 28, 2020 18:58

>Quite a lot if people are willing to pay £112.05 for a CD single!

My bet would be no one is buying at that ridiculous price. You can ask whatever you want for something, what it sells for is oftentimes a small fraction of that wishful thinking price.

jb

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: May 28, 2020 19:07

It was a great time with fantastic songs back then in 1965.

The Stones "Satisfaction"

The Beatles "Help"

The Byrds "Mr. Tambourine Man"

and ... you name it.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 29, 2020 21:03

I think that those who heard "Satisfaction" soon after its release in 1965 (for me, European, this was in August) could and would be aware of the impact of the song at the time. For one thing, it knocked Help (from their friends The Beatles) off from the nummer one position in numereus countries. The lyrics were "shocking", the beat was intoxicating, it was rough, heavy, but easy to sing along. The music world was upset.
Those who heard the song years later, after several other greats like GOOMC, 19thNB, LSTNT, JJF, etc. may find it more difficult to name it as " the best ever", but pure historically it will always be the greatest rock song of its time. Even top bands and singers from those days said so many times and remember it as such.
For me their interpretation of Not Fade Away blew my mind open for the very first time in 1964, but Satisfaction was sky rocketing and even silenced my Beatles-fan highschool mate. WoW!
smileys with beer

Stay safe, corona can't be trusted!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 31, 2020 16:10

Phil Good
It was a great time with fantastic songs back then in 1965.

The Stones "Satisfaction"

The Beatles "Help"

The Byrds "Mr. Tambourine Man"

and ... you name it.

LIKE A ROLLING STONE

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: May 31, 2020 19:12

Happy birthday Satisfaction. I accept it may have a slightly different birthday in different territories but round about 1st June will do very nicely for me.

Is it their greatest ever? Debate will rage about that. For me their greatest ever was It's All Over now and they didn't even write it. But the impertinence, the nonchalance and the 'in your face' swagger of that track takes a heck of a lot of beating. It was also the first Stones track I ever heard, and I think that fact also is significant. Hearing it was like an emotional earthquake. The world was NEVER the same afterwards.

Maybe other folk will also favour the first Stones track they ever heard? The sheer visceral impact of that first blast will be locked in a very secure place in the memories of many fans. But wherever Satisfaction rates on your list of band favourites I'm sure there will be little dispute about its overall greatness. For a track that had its genesis in a dream Keith was having somewhere in Florida way back then it sure has entered the pantheon of all time great rock songs.

Thanks for the memories Satisfaction!

Re: Satisfaction - 55 Years
Date: June 6, 2020 13:20

55th Anniversary Edition on 12" Emerald Vinyl - [Store.AcousticSounds.com] , [www.Amazon.com]

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: June 6, 2020 16:21

One of those songs that makes me smile as soon as I hear the opening riff, no matter how crappy the day. Thanks Stones!

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: June 6, 2020 17:15

Whatever you may think of this tune (yes, it is a warhorse staple that maybe should be given a rest from the set-list from time to time to make you miss it and respect it more), but to many people, this IS the Stones signature tune that I would argue, single-handidly defines them.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 6, 2020 21:28

It is THE song of 1965. It separated the Stones from the British Invasion pack. Bill never gets credit for how his bass creates a strong counter melody, pushing up against Keith's fuzz guitar. It's not that complex, but effective, and durable. It wasn't until I had the Out of our Heads album years later that I really heard Mick's lascivious singing on the outro. I think most deejays potted the record down at that point.

Re: Satisfaction - 55 Years
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 23, 2020 21:32

Just pre-ordered this on Amazon for $16.99.
Very cool... now also budgeting/researching new turntable/systems cool smiley

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: September 24, 2020 00:12

triceratops
The summer it came out you could hear Satisfaction ringing out everywhere from every tinny AM automobile radio. And of course it sounded great. It was in high rotation on the AM radio stations. We all thought that fuzzy sound was from a saxophone.

The Stones recorded and re-leased it very quickly:
The Rolling Stones recorded the track on 12 May 1965 RCA Studios in Hollywood, California,
The song was first released as a single in the United States in June 1965

And I thought I was the only one who thought the fuzz guitar was a saxophone!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2500
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home