Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"Steel Wheels-"Voodou" and the "Bridges- Tour" whats your opinion?
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: April 24, 2012 22:48

Sure, their best Tours. Absolutely awesome. well, maybe you know, I am a fan of their 1964-1971 Era,so when they did "Ruby tuesday" and "Its all over now" I had a feeling Never seen a performance of a rock-band better.. great crowd in the stadiums,just a lot of fun.great stages.

Well, i saw the 1973 European tour, the 1976 european tour, a concert in anaheim july 24th 1978---but THESE tours were better.

Whats your opinions?

Why so many of you are against a stadium-TOUR???

I still would go to hear the Stones Playing "Satisfaction", paint it black, IORR, Brown Sugar--and so on...
..if the Ticket-Prices are, lets say , 60 Euro!!!!!

So, I will go 2013, but sure, there will be something in the summer of 2012!

Re: "Steel Wheels-"Voodou" and the "Bridges- Tour" whats your opinion?
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 24, 2012 23:03

Stadium tours are like watching ants.

With a big telly.

Crap.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: April 24, 2012 23:10

GravityBoy
Stadium tours are like watching ants.

With a big telly.

Crap.

One of the best times I've ever had at a show was at Soldier Field '97 (second night), and I had terrible seats. It's all about what you hear, the atmosphere, whether the crowd is into it, if your imagination is captured. A blind fan can have a better time than a sighted one, and a theater show can be crap. So many variables; you can't make sweeping statements.

Date: April 24, 2012 23:11

CRAP???--Gravity?

I saw a lot of stones-indoor shows from the Rolling Stones( 10.000-15000.) and I was really not amused!!

Date: April 24, 2012 23:12

Yes, I think stadium gigs are crap and a rip off.

Shoot me.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 24, 2012 23:43

Stadium Gigs can be wonderful if you've got the right seats. I attended a U2 show at Dodger Stadium in 92 and I was up in the high seats and couldn't hear or see shit. It might has as well have been going on somewhere else. Then I saw the Stones there with floor seats about 20 rows back and it was incredible.

Steel Wheels was majestic. Voodoo Lounge & BTB were okay, with the best moments on the B stage. No Security was the best.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: April 24, 2012 23:49

Voodoo in New Orleans for me.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: April 24, 2012 23:51

24FPS
Stadium Gigs can be wonderful if you've got the right seats. I attended a U2 show at Dodger Stadium in 92 and I was up in the high seats and couldn't hear or see shit. It might has as well have been going on somewhere else. Then I saw the Stones there with floor seats about 20 rows back and it was incredible.

Steel Wheels was majestic. Voodoo Lounge & BTB were okay, with the best moments on the B stage. No Security was the best.

There was something special about '89, because culturally is was A BIG DEAL. Shows afterward have drawn big crowds, but it hasn't been as culturally signifcant since then - the stars aligned.

Date: April 24, 2012 23:51

24FPS
Then I saw the Stones there with floor seats about 20 rows back and it was incredible.

Yep.

If you can't see the whites of their eyes you are being ripped off.

Especially for £100 a ticket.

Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: April 25, 2012 00:11

GravityBoy
Yes, I think stadium gigs are crap and a rip off.

Shoot me.

Only solution is a bunch of nights in a smaller venue, as did Eric Clapton in Royal Albert Hall - 15nights..... don't know if Stones are up for this

Date: April 25, 2012 00:16

Hope,read the orig.thread -

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 25, 2012 05:34

Send It To me - Right on the excitement has not been the same since 1989. When they came back it was actually surprising they had gone 7 years off the road and everyone was just witing and I thought the shows were great.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: April 25, 2012 06:01

amazing tours.

Date: April 25, 2012 07:17

I saw Steel Wheels in Detroit and Voodoo Lounge in East Lansing, MI and New Orleans, LA but for some reason I've always thought the Bridges tour was the best, at least of those three. Only because I thought they played the best, not necessarlily sounded the best.

Or something along those lines. Maybe vice versa. Lot's of Kool Aid perhaps, or Guinness. Too much turkey and the stuffing too. It's a tall order for two queers.

Date: April 25, 2012 10:22

Three great tours. After that it went a bit downhill, imo. Except for the surprisingly brilliant show in Oslo I attended in 2007.

Posted by: iggy.pop ()
Date: April 25, 2012 11:24

I always see the Stones in Paris
Urban Jungle, the first time i saw the Stones live. Great moment. Start me Up is my best moment : Yes, they are here.
Voodoo Lounge, well, not on my memory.
Bridges To Babylon, welcome to the b-stage. I was just in front of them.

But for me, the Licks Tour is better than the previous three.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 25, 2012 11:26

I visited all of them and when Bridges came to Stockholm it was also in a smaller place (just 12000)...that was the highlight....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 25, 2012 11:36

As I wrote on the "Love you live"-thread on this board, I have sworn I would never set a foot
in a stadium again. The reason is not because I don't love the Stones, of course. I adore them.
But I think Rock 'n roll is best consumed in a setting of intimacy. I don't think a stadium
is the best place for creativity. The mass audience requires a big setting, with programmed
light shows and video screens. This means they have to obey to a pre planned choreography.

Having seen them in a more intimate setting during the Licks Tour I realised they could really
blossom on a smaller stage with the audience close at hand. To me that was the absolute summit.
I am afraid to spoil this experience. That's why I shy away from stadium shows.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 25, 2012 11:45

It is good that Steel Wheels, Voodoo and Bridges get the attention they deserve. If you are in the right place in a stadium you can get your rocks off. I think Steel Wheels and Bridges had rock, but Bridges had more roll. On the other hand Ronnie Wood was much better on Steel Wheels. Voodoo had weak moments, but the Brixton/Paradiso concerts belong to best shows the Stones ever did.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: April 25, 2012 11:50

24FPS

Right on. Stadium shows can be a hassle but if you land in the right place it can be worth every penny. 2005 - Giants Stadium; lower tier very close to Keith's side - could indeed see the whites of his eyes when he came to the end of his ramp. The sound and lighting was spectacular. A total thrill. Also, '89 - Shea Stadium, 9th row front and center. Awesome!

Date: April 25, 2012 11:53

1st row Keith's side in Oslo, 2007. Best spot ever for me. Didn't even feel like I was in a stadium thumbs up

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 25, 2012 12:01

Urban Jungle 1990 - too many people on the stage, and too too smooth for my liking.

Voodoo Lounge 1995 - Wembley Stadium - I was right up front, and loved it. Not as many on stage as Urban Jungle.

I still listen, also, to Voodoo Lounge, but I don't to Steel Wheels.

Date: April 25, 2012 12:08

tomcasagranda
Urban Jungle 1990 - too many people on the stage, and too too smooth for my liking.

Voodoo Lounge 1995 - Wembley Stadium - I was right up front, and loved it. Not as many on stage as Urban Jungle.

I still listen, also, to Voodoo Lounge, but I don't to Steel Wheels.

One less back up vocalist, who else weren't on stage?

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 25, 2012 12:13

Matt Clifford.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: April 25, 2012 12:22

I love the big stadium gigs and huge stages and light shows, fireworks etc. It's great entertainment and makes it into a big event that you can share with several thousand other people. The crowd can be in party mode and then it's like nothing else.

Two things though:

1. It's only a good show if the band's on form (but that goes for any gig)

2. I can't stand the idea of pitch seating at stadiums. It takes away the afore mentioned party atmosphere.

In fact the second point is so important to me that I think I will go to see them in places where they don't do allocated seating, such as mainland Europe, next time they tour. The UK has become like US with only rich people on the pitch sitting and rattling their jewelry. Dedication is turning up first thing in the morning and queuing in the rain to get to the front - not sitting at your computer and trying to get in there first using a fan club code that you paid for and then spending an absolute fortune on a ticket and then have a go at people around you for dancing or having fun.

As a result, I preferred Voodoo Lounge and Bridges tours much more than any subsequent tour. (I first saw them VL in Wembley).

Date: April 25, 2012 12:23

tomcasagranda
Matt Clifford.

How could I forget? grinning smiley

He's like 10 annoying people on stage - alone...

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: April 25, 2012 13:05

I am a big fan of the Voodoo Lounge tour and album.

The BtB tour was great too, with highlights such as the websongs and the Bridge.
SW/UJ were a bit too "clean" and Chuck L + Matt C were 1 too much.
The Stones seemed to be trying to sound live as they sounded on record and therefore the SW/UJ tour was sometimes too "sophisticated".

Still, Atlantic City 89 and 7/7/90 are some of my favorites bootlegs. (I know, I can be irrational sometimes)

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: April 25, 2012 13:30

Those were great tours, very great tours. Very different from the classic-rock tours from the first 70s, very different from the sloppy-punk-new wave 75-82 tours(which are my favourites) , but show bussiness change tendencies, and after 80s stadium rock was the rule and the record bussines changed a lot as well. MTV also changed tendencies in the rock scene.
Proffesionalism killed the magic, but the performance and entertainment was also fun.
I much prefer the VL and BtB tours, the urban jungle was so "smart"

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: April 25, 2012 15:24

I did not like the massive Bridges tour as it was a revival of Voodoo Lounge with a bad stage design. But this is my oppinion.
After all the seventies I would say Licks was the first tour to get close to the boys and delivered the most variety in songs for decades with the best shows since 81/82.
But as I said everybody has its own taste.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 25, 2012 16:09

Basically the same tour with different names. The only real difference is the age of the band. The setlist is 2/3 the same.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1242
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home