Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Post Tattoo You albums
Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: September 3, 2020 21:13

I just never did get into the albums of the last forty years, but the primary songs on each of them are good. IMO Dirty Work, Undercover, and Steel Wheels combined would have made a nice album of 10-12 songs, most coming from Steel Wheels.

Same for Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon,and A Bigger Bang, with most of the good songs coming from Voodoo Lounge.

"make up your mind, 'cause I gotta go"

Re: Post Tattoo You albums
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 3, 2020 22:04

To play the cynic: Basically everything after Tattoo You is redundant. They could have quit in 1982. Wouldn't have made a difference. By the late seventies, everything was done. Nothing more to add.

Date: September 3, 2020 22:14

Stoneage
To play the cynic: Basically everything after Tattoo You is redundant. They could have quit in 1982. Wouldn't have made a difference. By the late seventies, everything was done. Nothing more to add.

By that logic they could have called it quits after the 1969-tour.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 3, 2020 22:17

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

By that logic they could have called it quits after the 1969-tour.

thumbs upthumbs up

Date: September 3, 2020 22:18

Sure, Dandy. But let us not take it to extremes... Then we would have missed the 1972 tour, Sticky Fingers, Exile On Main St and Some Girls...

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 4, 2020 01:23

After the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle Tours they could have called it a day. I feel like if one was to tell the story of The Rolling Stones, I'd tell them to watch the documentary "25x5." From 1962-1989, that's their story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-04 01:23 by JordyLicks96.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 4, 2020 01:34

obviously good songs became more sparse after tattoo you, im glad they didnt quit after exile or steel wheels, cos if you combine the 4 best songs from each album you still have a lot of good songs, i do however hope they dont go on too long, would love another album of new stuff, some more touring, and more vaults, outtakes, alternate versions, live stuff from the past etc, but really hope they quit for good before jagger hits 80.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 4, 2020 01:37

No, no, no - the Stones' longevity is a strong part of the myth: They did some good songs on their later albums. In the nineties they played brilliant concerts. In 2002 they became a nostalgia-act - and for that reason a lot of glamour got lost. Yet, they made about a billion dollars since then, and gave fun to some people.
If they would have split in 1969, or in 1982, they would be less famous - and not that rich.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-04 01:38 by windmelody.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 4, 2020 03:03

Stoneage

But that would have made their great-great-grandkids very unhappy

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 4, 2020 03:57

The 1989 Steel Wheels Tour was great. Other tours had their moments.Some great songs as well. You could say the same thing about Paul McCartney’s entire solo career, Dylan after 1975, Bowie after Heroes, Rod Stewart after the last Faces Album, Clapton after Layla, Stevie Wonder after Songs In the Key of Life, U2 after Achtung Baby, Elton John after 1976 and on and on. Plus thousands of fans got to see the Stones live.

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: September 4, 2020 04:18

Taylor1
The 1989 Steel Wheels Tour was great. Other tours had their moments.Some great songs as well. You could say the same thing about Paul McCartney’s entire solo career, Dylan after 1975, Bowie after Heroes, Rod Stewart after the last Faces Album, Clapton after Layla, Stevie Wonder after Songs In the Key of Life, U2 after Achtung Baby, Elton John after 1976 and on and on. Plus thousands of fans got to see the Stones live.

You make a good point about u2, their early stuff was good, but since Achtung Baby they've only had 2 decent albums imho: How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb & All That You Can't Leave Behind. I do respect that they don't have 20-50 compilations like many successful bands. Interestingly I just found out they have: Subscriber-exclusive albums, a neat concept.

Lennon vs. McCartney solo careers...John wins hands down, song for song, album for album...and I say that as someone whose favorite all-time musician (Beatles years) is Macca. I couldn't even name 1 song after early '80s McCartney, it's just fluff & crap...feel free to elaborate either way if you know better.

Back on topic, Undercover was their last decent album, the last 6 studio LPs are severely lacking imho, but the Dirty Works/Steel Wheels Sessions & Outtakes had some decent tracks on them, just not the LPs themselves unfortunately. It's like they intentionally left the only good stuff off the record.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-04 04:21 by KevinM.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 4, 2020 05:19

It's been talked about A LOT and I'm certainly part of it: after their last truly inventive album, UNDERCOVER, and with REWIND finishing off the record deal, the band pretty much ceased to exist as a need, artistically.

For my tastes they didn't really do anything interesting until BRIDGES TO BABYLON and even that is a bit skewed - I find Keith's songs the most interesting.

I did and still do find A BIGGER BANG invigorating, especially without the shit songs on it, but that aside there was a sign of life there (sans mastering issues) that had, arguably, for me, anyway, the energy of SOME GIRLS and some of the finesse of TATTOO YOU but nothing else of that weight.

I've enjoyed songs from every album post-1981, some more than others, and in general a kind of "OK, this is what we get" mentalscape. DIRTY WORK was a weird blunder of existence; STEEL WHEELS was 'Hi! We're still here!'; VOODOO LOUNGE was 'Uh huh, we're still around, it sounds like the Stones!'; BRIDGES was 'Yep - still around! And contemporary even!' and A BIGGER BANG was 'Ehhh, you know what? Here you go'.

Something clearly changed after TY in terms of their attitude. As much as I love how U is inventive, it doesn't have any songs that are the kind of songs that were standout tunes as well as grab-your-attention singles.

There were moments on VL and BTB and even ABB where you knew there was something going on but it wasn't the pulse to drive the blood through the entire body.

Considering their discography, alright, fine, whatever... but when you work past your legacy and then, after that tour, pretty much ignore it for any future tours, as they've done - they give it the weight that it didn't matter.

I guess. I dunno. I've never been able to talk to Mick and ask him, "If you've done all this work to make these albums, how come you basically ignore them with the live shows?" I would love to ask him that. Those tracks keep appearing on the hits comps... but that's just Mick throwing those out to show that that part of the band matters just as much as... enter whatever songs here pre-1983.

Date: September 4, 2020 14:31

Taylor1
You could say the same thing about Paul McCartney’s entire solo career, Dylan after 1975, Bowie after Heroes, Rod Stewart after the last Faces Album, Clapton after Layla, Stevie Wonder after Songs In the Key of Life, U2 after Achtung Baby, Elton John after 1976 and on and on. Plus thousands of fans got to see the Stones live.

Absolutely true. McCartney by the way has finally lost his singing voice and should stop touring. I love him, but at a 2019 show in Raleigh NC his voice was breaking up so badly during one of the ballads that he actually said "I have a frog in my throat" during the middle of the song.

Date: September 4, 2020 14:35

KevinM

I couldn't even name 1 song after early '80s McCartney, it's just fluff & crap...feel free to elaborate either way if you know better.

I agree. I'm a big Macca fan and I bought many of his later CD releases, but still I probably could only name a handful of songs, and in some cases I only played one or two songs on the CD's.

Date: September 4, 2020 14:41

How can bands with singles that chart #5 on the Billboard Hot 100 be "redundant"? Most bands would die for a charting like that.

This is what the Stones did when they were considered "all time low" by their fans, in 1986. They did that again with Mixed Emotions in 1989.

Let's have some perspective here smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-04 15:39 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 4, 2020 14:46

I said "let me play the cynic" here, Dandy. What I mean is that the songs and albums they are going to be remembered for will be from that period.
I think it's good that they continued though. Since I'm a fan and was able able to see them live for the first time in 1990. And many years to come.

Date: September 4, 2020 15:35

I think the big difference is after the late 70's they stopped "hanging out" together as a band and sort of went different directions until they needed to work together again.

And I am sure the lack of touring from 1982 to 1989 took a toll.

The shows became more theatrical and were almost the same routine each and every show.

Date: September 4, 2020 15:41

georgemcdonnell314
I think the big difference is after the late 70's they stopped "hanging out" together as a band and sort of went different directions until they needed to work together again.

The shows became more theatrical and were almost the same routine each and every show.

I think that started after Exile, as Keith also confirmed in the recent interview.

He said, since they were scattered all over the globe, they had to learn how to write songs etc separately.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-04 15:41 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 4, 2020 15:51

Stoneage
I said "let me play the cynic" here, Dandy. What I mean is that the songs and albums they are going to be remembered for will be from that period.
I think it's good that they continued though. Since I'm a fan and was able able to see them live for the first time in 1990. And many years to come.

I know you did, and I know you do. However, your words are too strong, because their relevancy, media attention, album and single sales and the huge boost in popularity (after their comeback in 1989) are so tangible, concrete and measurable.

I know you talked about albums, but the Stones are the Stones - you gotta take the whole package. And the word "redundant" is not what springs to mind when I think about the Steel Wheels-release and following tour. We may like or dislike the album, but it wasn't redundant smiling smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 4, 2020 16:06

DandelionPowderman
georgemcdonnell314

I think that started after Exile, as Keith also confirmed in the recent interview.

He said, since they were scattered all over the globe, they had to learn how to write songs etc separately.

Exactly! Maybe they need ALO to lock 'em in a room together and not let 'em out until they have some good songs.

All that said, it's got to be hard to live up to the quality of the pre-73 work.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 4, 2020 18:00

My dad, who is a solitary grump, sees artists that have carried on and insists they are all imitating themselves - unless he really likes them.

He's a lot of fun to give a hard time because he thinks his obstinate opinion truly matters: he is the king and authority of quality and taste.

But it gets very very tiring. He rages about how great Clapton is (and it's always the same thing: some charity show for his rehab center and some blues thing he did) and how Pink Floyd's live version of Comfortably Numb from THE DIVISION BELL tour is the best version ever. And whatever, on and on and on.

Date: September 4, 2020 21:45

Be kind to your dad, GLS. You never know how long he is going to be with you.

Date: September 4, 2020 22:48

Songs like Out of Tears, She Was Hot, One Hit to the Body,Slipping Away, Mixed Emotions,Out of Control,Anybody Seen My Baby, Too Tight , One Hit to the Body, Blinded By Rainbows are all great

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: September 4, 2020 23:10

Don't forget
- Wanna Hold You
- Pretty Beat Up
- All The Way Down
- Harlem Shuffle
- Dirty Work
- Had It With You
- Almost Hear You Sigh
- Love Is Strong
- Moon is Up
- Brand New Car
- nearly complete 'Bridges To Babylon'
- Rough Justice
- Let Me Down Slow
- Rain Fall Down
- Under The Radar
and most of the deluxe-releases.

Not bad. We should be thankful, forever. Especially in this more-than-crazy end-of-time era.Everything that will be coming is very appreciated extras.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-04 23:12 by micawber.

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: September 4, 2020 23:25

You Don't Have To Mean It
Thief In The Night
Victor Hugo
Can't Cut The Mustard

You Win Again
Had It With You
Just Because 1&2

The Dog
Dog Shit
etc.

Undercover is a decent album, especially capping off a 20+yr run. She Was Hot & Undercover of the Night are as good as anything on Tattoo You, imho, save for Hang Fire.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-05 04:30 by KevinM.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 4, 2020 23:27

Would like to hear a remix of Moon is Up by War on Sex

Date: September 5, 2020 00:06

Yes!And a remix of Too Tight

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 5, 2020 00:25

What's going to be the new setlist?

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: September 5, 2020 00:32

Voodoo Lounge would have been a great album with half of the songs.

HMN

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 5, 2020 01:13

They would undoubtedly choose the wrong half.

jb

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1355
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home