Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Make Mick Jagger & The Red Devils an official release
Posted by: bart-man ()
Date: November 18, 2017 20:22

Wouldn’t it be great if Mick make this fantastic outtake album as an official release as a sort of follow up for Blue and Lonesome?

Re: Make Mick Jagger & The Red Devils an official release
Date: November 18, 2017 20:58

The other way around mate.. It makes Blue and Lonesome a superfluous release because of the superior musicianship by the Red Devils, the (lead) guitar in particular. There's just much more going on musically, to my taste. And of course, Jagger rules.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-18 23:05 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 18, 2017 21:09

Do we not have enough Rolling Stones records by now? Maybe a hundred official releases (and re-releases) and thousands of non-official releases. How many do we need? Five hundred more?

Date: November 18, 2017 21:14

Stoneage
Do we not have enough Rolling Stones records by now? Maybe a hundred official releases (and re-releases) and thousands of non-official releases. How many do we need? Five hundred more?
g

Can’t be enough if it’s on me winking smiley

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 18, 2017 21:15

It should be a legitimate release, as a deluxe Wandering Spirit set.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 18, 2017 21:52

tomcasagranda
It should be a legitimate release, as a deluxe Wandering Spirit set.

Great idea. It's certainly good enough to warrant a standalone release, but as part of a WS deluxe set a philosophical clash with Blue And Lonesome could be avoided. At least to a certain degree, as I have no doubt that there still would be comparisons made by writers & critics, but most likely harmless for Blue And Lonesome as their early 60's blues music was indeed brought into the picture in reviews here & there.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 18, 2017 23:18

I grew up with Lester Butler (or simply "Les" as we knew him) in Santa Monica and used to hang out at the beach and buy weed from him in high school.
From small time high school party vocalist/harp player, to playing with Jagger - he made the big time and was the talk of the town. RIP.

TheflyingDutchman
The other way around mate.. It makes Blue and Lonesome a superfluous release because of the superior musicianship by the Red Devils, the lead guitar in particular, to my taste. And of course, Jagger rules.

thumbs up

It's better than Blue and Lonesome by a long shot imo, and I'm pretty sure Mick plays none of the harp on it (it's all Les), but I could be wrong.
Official release unnecessary - there's plenty of bootlegs and it's all over youtube.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: November 18, 2017 23:41

I like the idea of a WS/Red Devils deluxe release ...only 1 song in common with B & L I think ...Everybody knows about my good thing. He could have done good things with Rick Rubin, but they fell out.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 19, 2017 01:53

Lurv the cover of Slim Harpo's - Dream Girl esp that first take...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: November 19, 2017 08:28

Yes a good CD. Why was it not officially released? I guess I have always assumed it was Mick’s decision - maybe trying to do something not too close to Stones sound as he was striving to do something a little different in his solo career.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: November 19, 2017 08:31

TheflyingDutchman
The other way around mate.. It makes Blue and Lonesome a superfluous release because of the superior musicianship by the Red Devils, the (lead) guitar in particular. There's just much more going on musically, to my taste. And of course, Jagger rules.

Yeah, it's much better than B&L. It will be released some day, but as a 13 track thing I believe - one take of each song.

Date: November 19, 2017 08:55

We already got Checking Up On My Baby on “The best of Mick Jagger” And that sounds great. So get the rest out of the vault I would say

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 19, 2017 10:51

exhpart
I like the idea of a WS/Red Devils deluxe release ...only 1 song in common with B & L I think ...Everybody knows about my good thing. He could have done good things with Rick Rubin, but they fell out.

Why did they fall out?
Money?
Women?
Drugs?
Can't think of any other reasons.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 19, 2017 12:33

jlowe
exhpart

Why did they fall out?
Money?
Women?
Drugs?
Can't think of any other reasons.

'cause Rick Rubin is a great producer and not a yes-man.

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 19, 2017 18:01

'Don't go No Further" - I heard Mick's version, and it's head and shoulders above The Doors version. Morrison wasn't a bluesman anyhow.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 19, 2017 18:04

Hairball
I grew up with Lester Butler (or simply "Les" as we knew him) in Santa Monica and used to hang out at the beach and buy weed from him in high school.
From small time high school party vocalist/harp player, to playing with Jagger - he made the big time and was the talk of the town. RIP.

TheflyingDutchman
The other way around mate.. It makes Blue and Lonesome a superfluous release because of the superior musicianship by the Red Devils, the lead guitar in particular, to my taste. And of course, Jagger rules.

thumbs up

It's better than Blue and Lonesome by a long shot imo, and I'm pretty sure Mick plays none of the harp on it (it's all Les), but I could be wrong.
Official release unnecessary - there's plenty of bootlegs and it's all over youtube.

An official release of great performances is always necessary imo whenever the sound quality of the circulating bootlegs is unsatisfactory. This is the case here. There are quite some muffled and even audibly distorted tracks on the boots and no boot remastering could ever heal that. If those tracks sounded like the VL outtakes, I could agree with you. But not in this case.

Date: November 19, 2017 18:05

retired_dog
Hairball

TheflyingDutchman

thumbs up

An official release of great performances is always necessary imo whenever the sound quality of the circulating bootlegs is unsatisfactory. This is the case here. There are quite some muffled and even audibly distorted tracks on the boots and no boot remastering could ever heal that. If those tracks sounded like the VL outtakes, I could agree with you. But not in this case.

OK.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 19, 2017 18:09

swimtothemoon
Yes a good CD. Why was it not officially released? I guess I have always assumed it was Mick’s decision - maybe trying to do something not too close to Stones sound as he was striving to do something a little different in his solo career.

Rubin forced Jagger to spend a few hours of studio time with the Red Devils. That's part of Rubin's method. He talks musicians into getting back to their roots. For Jagger it was logically the blues.

Alas Jagger most certainly didn't like the experience as what he likes best is chasing new musical trends, not reviving things he did when he was 20-25.

Another failed "Rubin experience" was with AC/DC : I speculate here but when he talked the Young Brothers into going back to their roots they probably looked at each others and thought "you @#$%&! Our amps are old, our guitars are old, even the tubes in our Marshall are from the 60's. We DO go back to our roots every time we hit a chord! You won't teach us sh!t!"

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 19, 2017 19:21

Don't see the point really since we all have it, but still, if it was officially released, I would definitely buy it!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 19, 2017 19:22

LeonidP
Don't see the point really since we all have it, but still, if it was officially released, I would definitely buy it!

Actually, just thinking about it, this would be amazing if they did one of those CD w/ DVD releases, showing the recording sessions!

Date: November 20, 2017 00:06

Hairball

TheflyingDutchman

thumbs up

Great story. Jagger doesn't play Harp on it. Here's one without Jagger:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 20, 2017 00:39

TheflyingDutchman
Hairball

TheflyingDutchman

thumbs up

Great story. Jagger doesn't play Harp on it. Here's one without Jagger:

[www.youtube.com]

Yes the entire King King album is great. Lets just say that they were already pretty well established locally before Jagger came along,
but once he became associated with the band it gave them quite a boost on a much bigger scale.

Red Devils - King King (Full Album)

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 20, 2017 05:40

I'll bite...where can you get this bootleg? I don't see it on Hot Stuff..

tks

Rod
Perth
Australia

Rod

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 20, 2017 05:56

Now that we have Blue & Lonesome, the Red Devils seems kind of too little, too late. I get it, that it preceded the Stones release by 24 years, but still, it's too similar.

Date: November 20, 2017 10:18

Not released for a reason, imo. I don't think Mick liked the sound of this.

Hard rock blues..

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: November 20, 2017 10:24

Never cared for it myself or the King King scene. Much prefer Blue and Lonesome.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 20, 2017 10:54

DandelionPowderman

Hard rock blues..

If Mick thought the album would sell....and make him even more dosh...then surely it would be released?

Date: November 20, 2017 11:14

jlowe
DandelionPowderman

Hard rock blues..

If Mick thought the album would sell....and make him even more dosh...then surely it would be released?

Well, seemingly he had some integrity back then - as he protested heavily against the direction Rubin wanted him to pursue.

That said, he did release Checking Up On My Baby on his greatest hits-album, so I guess he liked some of it...

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 20, 2017 16:56

jlowe
DandelionPowderman

Hard rock blues..

Ofcourse it will sell, and now with his affair with Noor..he is gonna need the money.
Jeroen

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 20, 2017 17:17

dcba
swimtothemoon

Rubin forced Jagger to spend a few hours of studio time with the Red Devils. That's part of Rubin's method. He talks musicians into getting back to their roots. For Jagger it was logically the blues.

Alas Jagger most certainly didn't like the experience as what he likes best is chasing new musical trends, not reviving things he did when he was 20-25.

Another failed "Rubin experience" was with AC/DC : I speculate here but when he talked the Young Brothers into going back to their roots they probably looked at each others and thought "you @#$%&! Our amps are old, our guitars are old, even the tubes in our Marshall are from the 60's. We DO go back to our roots every time we hit a chord! You won't teach us sh!t!"
Yes, that is definitely Rubin's method.

Ballbreaker is indeed a disappointing album. It was GREAT to have Phil Rudd back, but the guitars have no balls and the lyrics are atrocious. The Young Brothers took over lyric writing from Brian, which was a huge mistake.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2094
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home