Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O. T. Last night of The Proms live at Royal Albert Hall.
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 12, 2020 22:18

Just seen that it is on BBC 1 TV, with a virtual audience from all over UK and probably the World.
The last half hour is always the best, but great to see this great venue and great musicians and performers on live TV. smileys with beer

Re: O. T. Last night of The Proms live at Royal Albert Hall.
Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: September 12, 2020 22:32

thumbs up

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 14, 2020 02:49

Will our boys perform for the venue’s 150th anniversary next year? I hope so...and pray it will happen.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 14, 2020 09:43

Was it politically corrected as talked about? I mean the lyrics changed or cut out or songs removed? Rule, Britannia for instance?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 14, 2020 10:25

Stoneage
Was it politically corrected as talked about? I mean the lyrics changed or cut out or songs removed? Rule, Britannia for instance?

No, the the controversial lines remained.

The BBC backed-down from their stance after so many complaints from the public.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-14 10:27 by Big Al.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 14, 2020 19:42

I'm glad they kept it as it was last year............and all the years before that.
Being politically correct and health and safety in the U.K. can be so much over the top these days.

I did have a tear in my eye when the very last song (I think), was 'You'll Never Walk Alone' .
It just seemed the right song at the right time.

It would be great if The Stones would play RAH next year as it's been a long time since September 1966. thumbs up

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 15, 2020 20:35

Big Al
Stoneage

No, the the controversial lines remained.

The BBC backed-down from their stance after so many complaints from the public.

It was an absolute storm in a teacup. There are people every year who think Rule Britannia and Land of Hope and Glory ought to be done away with, but what was due to happen in 2020 was:

LOHAG is part of a longer piece and is never sung by anyone on stage in any year. The audience sing it, and as there could be no audience there was nobody to sing. It was never due to be censored in any way (would be hard to stop the audience singing what they like anyway).

Rule Britannia was going to be played but not sung. The words were never due to be changed: they just weren't going to be sung this year because singing isn't very Covid-safe.

Jerusalem was to be performed for this year only in a specially written new arrangement.

The Press managed to boil this up into a claim that all the patriotic songs were being censored by wicked BBC lefties. There were protests, petitions, letters of complaint... The BBC duly hired some singers to sing Rule Britannia (words unchanged) and the Press hailed it as a great patriotic victory. The rest of the programme went ahead as originally planned, though I don't think the redesigned Jerusalem went down very well.

I usually watch and enjoy the Last Night, and have been in the audience a couple of times, but I didn't watch this year. Without the crowd, the whole thing just falls flat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-15 20:39 by Green Lady.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1390
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home